Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My oldest Apple device, a PowerBook G4 (says copyright 2000 Apple Computer Inc on the bottom) can still play a Podcast for a few hours on its original NiMH battery, and I found a disposed of iPhone 4 that's pretty shattered yet still works fine and holds a better charge on a prepaid SIM than my 6S does. That's with iOS 7 too. Given its condition I highly doubt it ever had a battery replaced and it was found dead.

I had my iPad 3 for 5 years before selling it and it still held a great charge. My mom has an iPhone 6S she bought in 2015 and despite the Health showing 65% it still manages a day--two standby. She leaves it plugged in 24/7 when at home so that's likely what caused the 65% reading--has no real bearing on battery runtime.

Contrast that to my Galaxy S5 which had its original battery start to swell after a year, and my Dell Latitude Core 2 Duo that refused to charge past 0% after a year, and a Compaq Armada that needed the battery removed to power on with AC adapter connected two years into owning it. Apple products have super long life batteries.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hi everyone, I'm contemplating switching out from my current Sony Xperia XZ2 to an iPhone 11 after about 6 years of being out of the apple loop.

I've had my current phone for a couple of years now but I'm thinking of splurging on an 11 Pro and paying for it over 3 years rather than just going for the base iPhone 11 that doesn't have too much in the way of improvements over what I currently have.

I would only really do this if I was sure I would be holding on to the phone for probably at least 5

So, I have to ask, how long do your phones last?
iPhones that are 5 yr old still get updates. It’s a great choice and will hold up. Just get a new battery in 2yrs and it’ll be as good as new. And get a screen protector. It’ll last you years. Heck I still have an iPhone 4s that still works! And my dad has an extra iPhone 6 that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.