Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
How many Apple IDs do you have? If you do have multiple, please share the reason why.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Two - one for iCloud functions and one for purchases that my wife and I both use. Started doing it this way before family sharing was a thing.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Two, but honestly I had to look for proof of the second one, as I completely forgot about it lol.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Just the one that I've had since 2008. Can't really imagine why I'd want another one? There are better free email providers, and the whole point of an Apple ID is that everything is synced under one account.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Some apps aren’t available in all App Store regions. Multiple accounts set to different countries are needed to get around these geo-restrictions.

And the availability of the app is based on where the ID is registered, not your actual location as determined by IP address?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Two - first was used for purchases before the iCloud ones existed and then an iCloud one. I'd like to get rid of the purchases one but afraid I'd lose stuff an screw it up.
I just purchased a new iPad Air - used the iCloud one on the purchase and got some free stuff from Apple but really can't use since stuff like TV use the purchase one.

Reactions: MJ22

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Two - first was used for purchases before the iCloud ones existed and then an iCloud one. I'd like to get rid of the purchases one but afraid I'd lose stuff an screw it up.
I just purchased a new iPad Air - used the iCloud one on the purchase and got some free stuff from Apple but really can't use since stuff like TV use the purchase one.
If you have an Apple TV, you can easily switch between Apple ID accounts. I do that to watch my free Apple TV for a year. Same for the Mac, iPad, or iPhone etc.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
And the availability of the app is based on where the ID is registered, not your actual location as determined by IP address?

That's correct. It's based on the Apple ID country or region setting, not the location determined by an IP address.

There are too many requirements that make changing regions a pain, and I think previously you were only allowed to change once every 90 days.

Change your Apple ID country or region

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How and thanks
Settings > Users and Accounts >Add New User > Enter a second Apple ID that you have made tv or movie purchases with. Once you have a second user added, you will then be able to set the default user, which is box second from the top of said settings. And at the top, you will see the "Switch Current User" box. That box allows you to quickly change accounts.

Reactions: MBAir2010

breakfast

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Would it make sense to use a new and dedicated Apple-ID just for Apple Music, and Apple Music alone?

And, is it at all possible? Or is it rather that since Apple Music falls under Media & Purchases, hence an "Media & Purchases-Apple-ID" (separate from iCloud-Apple-ID) would at the same time be the one for Apple Music?

In other words, would a setup like

Apple-ID1 for iCloud
Apple-ID2 for Media & Purchases
Apple-ID3 for Apple Music

be possible?

Or is the maximum setup like this?

Apple-ID1 for iCloud
Apple-ID2 for Media & Purchases (incl. Apple Music)

Thanks!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The "concern" with multiple is what happened to me. I have one for iCloud and another for purchases. I just bought a new iPad - with iCloud listed. I received a couple of "free" things such as a year of TV+ but it went to my iCloud ID but the TV+ uses the purchase one.
If I did it all over again I'd have 1 id.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
I woudn't bother with multiple Apple IDs. You are going to eventually mess up when you buy new hardware and have one more thing to worry about whenever you make purchases. Best to stick to one and consolidate things rather than make life more complicated. What's also important to remember is that if you ever move country (us in Europe do a lot) you lose all purchases such as music and movies as there are different region/licensing rights. So do bear that in mind.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Just one. I've had it since the .Mac days, and I don't have a reason to make a new one. You can always create aliases if you just need a new email address still I think. I did that years ago.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
2. 1 with my personal email and 1 with my work email. I keep my work phone completely separate from anything personal so I made another Apple ID to use with my work phone.

I used to have another that was an icloud account that I made when MobileMe launched so I could use Apple's email service. I kept holding out hope that we could merge apple IDs so that I could combine my icloud account and purchases account. That feature never came, so I eventually deleted the icloud account and now just use the 1 that I've had from the beginning with all my purchases. Changing email addresses for every account I have was a royal pain, but having 1Password made it manageable so I at least knew what accounts I had.

Last edited:

BlondeAF

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2021
Los Angeles
How many Apple IDs do you have? If you do have multiple, please share the reason why.
I started with one and then I changed my name legally first and last .. I have 3 I phones, I pad and Mac Pro 13 .. I bought everything at different times so don’t know how I did not know the rules ., I have never been tech savvy and I have used the same password because we didn’t need that many back then. I have different phones w different aliases and emails . No need to get into that ., so at some point I had 2 and managed to keep everything running smoothly .. until I got on this run of syncing and I cloud and face reck and all of it ., then my IG was hacked I spent hours all day trying to get figure out what who why and goodbye.. I do not remember creating a 3rd Apple ID .. now everything is so beyond a mess and my computer is no longer working . A little but not good .phones are slow and glitchy and I have 2 step verification as well but I have really messed up because I have too many important email accounts and I need all my phones for business . So everything I do have is important. I was going to delete on ID and I read that they basically own everything and I should have one my entire life and the loss of app’s information emails and basic functionality would be gone forever.. ?? So ok I get it I don’t even think Apple can do anything. I am thinking I’m going to have to get all my info into a drive I don’t know how that’s possible.. yet ., I have 5 devices.. I have to buy a new computer ASAP .I’m screwed for Apple for life yes ?? I think so
Do I buy a PC and a few android phones and try to get things transferred? This is insane and I’m going insane trying to figure out how to fix this. I’m locked out of my online bank account now called they tried and it keeps going in a circle.. rest password verify it’s you and rinse repeat . I’m thinking I have to close my account and just make sure I never use the cloud or sync anything ever again. I love my phones and love Apple , but I don’t see a way out ? Ok let me have it!! SOS

• Wow
Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.