Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
As a relatively new Mac user (I got my first Mac about 5 months ago) and a 16-year-old (meaning none of my friends could actually afford a Mac) I haven't managed to convert any PC users to the ways of OS X. How many people have all of you converted to Mac? By "Converted" I mean they have actually bought a Mac based on your wisdom, rather than just wished they could get one after you showed them how the windows minimise.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
my mom, my stepdad, one distant friend, two very good friends, my best friend, my best friend's daughter, my best friend's son, and was about to convert another biz partner but the biz partner part fell through so they are getting a Dell briefcase for Xmas to go along with their pitiful Dell laptop.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I'm not sure but I think I'm up to 7 or 8 since June 04 when i switched...
That doesn't count the other three friends who have switched as well, but I don't believe I was an influence for them.

Mmm maybe I should become an Apple Reseller and get commissions!

aznspyder

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
California and Bangkok
Isn't "switcher" the official term for a person who converted from Windows to Mac?

Anyway, I'm a switcher myself and my really close friend is still questioning me on why I made the switch. Both of us used to swear by Windows, but I was just sick and tired of all the viruses, spyware, etc. One day, I'll let him actually use my iBook, and then he'll hopefully understand why Macs are also great.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
A grand total of zero. I came so close to converting my sister when she was looking to buy a laptop last year but she fell back to the dark side at the very last minute.

I am working on all the people in my class at college though (it also helps that we exclusively use Macs at college, but I will take full credit if and when anyone switches). I have two borderline cases at the moment I am watching carefully. :D

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've converted my sister as of two years ago and she could not be happier. She's looking to get her second Mac. One of my buddies has seen the light, but he is not yet a Mac user. When he's ready to upgrade that HP thing of his, he'll become Number 2.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
One.

And I think she regrets it.

I'm horrible.

She's probably the worst candidate for a switcher.

She's in an Arabian-language university, where she studies Arabic. Naturally, Microsoft Word is a bastard and won't render Arabic properly, much less Hebrew. Had to buy Mellel for her.

Aljazeera.net doesn't display properly apparently.

ActiveX Control Video (also on Al Jazeera) doesn't work.

The most perfect-for-Windows person ever. :(

iSaint

macrumors 603
None, yet. My brother is close. He bought a 12" hp laptop and it's starting to fall apart. So he's thinking he may try a Mini someday. He currently has a rebuilt w2k machine, which actually runs pretty well. But, he's put a lot of money into it.

I had one of my college-bound kids from my youth group sold, but his parents probably made the final decision on his Toshiba laptop. He said Macs were overpriced. I priced him an iBook with the software he bought, and it came out to be the same as the Toshiba with the extras he bought.

A friend in seminary at Sewanee has converted several classmates.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
gwuMACaddict said:
5 Total

3 girlfriends (2 of them ex's now)
2 friends

ok, so you need to keep lots of girlfriends... ;) it's all for a good cause you know :)

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
in about a year and a half - 14 that I know of. Some family, some work friends, and some clients.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I've started to convert my girlfriend. When I got my Powerbook, I started showing it off to pretty much everyone and showed everyone how amazingly better OSX is compared to Windows.

She's in the market for a Powerbook now :D

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
None. Most of my family/friends are relatively knowledgable users and don't buy "new" computers. They just upgrade old machines. Same thing for my windows machine. I don't have an original component on it. It started out as a gateway my Dad bought about 6 years ago. The monitor was original until a few months ago when I got an LCD. Anyways, they don't have much of a reason to switch and really never buy a complete computer.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I haven't really converted anyone, which is a bit sad. My brother is a huge gamer, and he has a nice PC, so he would just be unhappy with a Mac. My Mom won't give up AOL, but with some tips from me she has managed to keep her Toshiba laptop running perfectly without spyware. My dad is an artist, he's been using Macs for 10 years so there's no need to convert him.

As far as my friends go, my 12" PowerBook has definitely intrigued them. My roommates always talk about how cute my computer is, and how it always works better on the internet. My best friend wants to buy an iBook when her bottom-of-the-line HP notebook finally dies so that's pretty cool.

The one that pisses me off is my other best friend, who just recently bought a (ginormous) 17" HP computer that is too huge to carry anywhere and that was dead and bogged down from spyware two weeks after it arrived. She says she needs to have this system for Photoshop....I tell her she's crazy. Hopefully she will see the light.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
i got my sister to switch back in the day...to a performa 6100, and then i told her to switch back to intel a few years later, and then i got them to switch back to mac again after that...so either i am convincing...or they just trust me too much...

other than her, i think i can count up about 4-5 other people that i have "encouraged" along the way. in fact, i am going to the apple store on PGA in an hour to help a friend shop for one for med school.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Well, my dad converted me because he's an engineer and uses macs almost exclusively. So after I saw the light, I felt a deep desire to spread the gospel unlike any religion has ever compelled me to do so. In the past few months I've switched one (who's still saving up), one is pending, and I'm working on a third.

But I gotta say, I don't think I'd have switched from Win98 to OS 9 if someone tried to convince me, but then again I was young and naive back then so I thought 98 was great. It's when hooked up to high speed internet that OS X really shines...or rather XP falls down...hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.