Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
NONE.

I've tried countless times though.

My girlfriend won't get one because she doesn't care about computers and is happy with her Crapshiba notebook. She's also broke.

My dad won't do it because he does programming and database work that doesn't run on macs.

My mom won't do it because she's content with outlook express, firefox and solitare.

My friends won't do it because they like playing games, and lets face it, the Mac still isn't anywhere close to being a competative gaming platform to the PC. Oh yeah, they're also broke.

I might add my roommates in college and now in life are Mac users, yet don't know jack about their laptops. Sad really...especially my roomate who had a $2,700 15" powerbook to surf the web.

Anyways, moral of the story is that I tried, it's just a tough sell.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
mkrishnan said:
If I started converting people, I would (1) lose a small part of my aura of superiority, and (2) have to provide even more tech support. :rolleyes:
Only my parents so far - they've just bought a new iMac. After all my evangelising ;), and the offer of free tech support if they bought Apple (or none at all if they went back to Windows). The tech support won't be too much (touch wood) as I'll set it up for them (they haven't unpacked it yet as they're on holiday), and if it needs "hands on" support I'm guaranteed a great meal and plenty of wine & cheese. Not really a hassle I suppose.
My sister will also switch when her crappy HP laptop dies (in about 3 months if I have anything to do with it :p )

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
caveman_uk said:
How do you disprove them? By quoting what you've heard/read on other news sites/programmes? Western news outlets are just as capable of selective reporting to further their agenda.

A lot of people in the middle east and elsewhere in the islamic world see Al Jazeera as a lot more truthful in it's reporting than the state controlled media outlets of the countries that many of those people live in.

I don't trust the news. I tend to disprove them by using friends and soon-to-be family that live there, and a very interesting website called http://honestreporting.com/ which is more pro-Israel than pro-PLO, but is more neutral than a number of websites. They also provide hard facts and explanations, instead of wishy-washy wording.

It is quite sad that people use Al Jazeera for their 'better' news source, however I understand that it is the best they have available to them. Instead of faulting the readership, I fault the website's authors for various stories. Fortunately, the ones one the main page don't seem to be bad, which is a good thing. However... Linkety is pretty bad. See, the Palestinian people did not enter Israel until the country of Jordan kicked them out. The king of Jordan killed more Palestinians in that one period of time lasting a few days that Israel has, total. Israel didn't 'take over' their land-- in the 1947 war for Independence, Israel was attacked, and like a country at war, captured land. The Arabs on the land fled, and Israel gained it.
t
I don't want to mutate this thread into a political discussion, but if you want to PM me that would be fine. (Politics for the political forum...)

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
the rest of my immediate family so that's 3 I guess (but only one Mac mini)
4 other friends.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Two for me. My lass (eMac) and her sister (iBook). Another mate of mine is considering getting a iBook/Powerbook for music.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I would try to convert people but all my friends are gamers, and well... macs simply doesnt game :(

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
wako said:
I would try to convert people but all my friends are gamers, and well... macs simply doesnt game :(

You just ned to know what kind of games to play.

Starcraft! :cool:

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
I've converted one for sure: My father bought my previous iBook.

My younger brother will most likely buy a mac, maybe mac mini or iBook as soon as he has the funds.

I also may eventually convert my roomate. He has a new 15" HP laptop and it runs like a jet engine. Literally. The fans never turn off, it kicks out a rediculous amount of heat. If it sets flat on his desk, it overheats and shuts off! Seriously, I think we are starting to get used to the noise, but when it shuts down, we notice how much more quiet it is in the room. Piece of junk. He can't even use it on his lap, or else it overheats. Something has got to be wrong, but like a typical PC user, he isn't looking forward to the support process.

He's always impressed by how mine never makes a sound, and I can actually use it on my lap!

Every other PC user at my college think I'm nutts for using a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.