Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I am curious on how many people actually are paid prime members. I'm thinking about doing the yearly option finally.. I've done the free trials and while it is really nice, the pricing was what made me hesitant of joining before. If you are a prime member, how often do you use it, and is it worth it for you?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I pay for it but very much grudge it. The issue is that I do order quite a bit and as I have limited and changing opportunities to be at home for deliveries I want to be able to control exactly when things arrive.

But realistically when it comes to deliveries Prime is just paying them only to access things like one-day delivery but you then have to actually pay extra for that delivery.

If you look at an items cost on one-day delivery compared to normal cost the item is priced higher.

But the service gives me what I need so I whilst its a crap deal, it does work for me.

I don't use anything else such as prime tv/video or whatever it is.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I pay for it but very much grudge it. The issue is that I do order quite a bit and as I have limited and changing opportunities to be at home for deliveries I want to be able to control exactly when things arrive.

But realistically when it comes to deliveries Prime is just paying them only to access things like one-day delivery but you then have to actually pay extra for that delivery.

If you look at an items cost on one-day delivery compared to normal cost the item is priced higher.

But the service gives me what I need so I whilst its a crap deal, it does work for me.

I don't use anything else such as prime tv/video or whatever it is.

Yeah when I had the trial I never used those either. I am wondering how much of a difference standard shipping is compared to prime? I know most things get delivered within 2 days with Prime, but when it's without Prime, it normally gets quoted around 4 days which honestly isn't too bad I guess..

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Yeah when I had the trial I never used those either. I am wondering how much of a difference standard shipping is compared to prime? I know most things get delivered within 2 days with Prime, but when it's without Prime, it normally gets quoted around 4 days which honestly isn't too bad I guess..

Depends on the item, for example, I got a new set of Jabra earphones, prime next day cost was £8 more than choosing the non-prime delivery. Ordered two 25" Dell monitors a couple of months ago, prime next day was £30 more than without.

They advertise it as "free" one-day shipping, it is clearly not.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I love it - great value IMHO

Bought a few years ago because of the shipping, and now Prime Video and Prime Music are good add ons

Kindle Unlimited is nice too

Reactions: artfossil

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I use my dad's account (though this makes buying gifts for him from Amazon difficult) :p I use it enough (including watching stuff on Prime TV) that it seems like a good value. I will probably pay for my own account soon.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I signed up for the monthly plan. It's well worth it for Prime Video alone, and really pays for itself after you make a few purchases.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Unthinkable for me not to have it. Use it constantly and Amazon Prime Video has turned into a really great source of content.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not with Amazon; I don't order enough stuff from there to justify it. But I do have a similar subscription with a local company. Every year they send out a summary showing how much you've saved, and so far every year it's been worthwhile.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am curious on how many people actually are paid prime members. I'm thinking about doing the yearly option finally.. I've done the free trials and while it is really nice, the pricing was what made me hesitant of joining before. If you are a prime member, how often do you use it, and is it worth it for you?
If you order a lot of stuff, even small routine inexpensive stuff like ear plugs, keyboard covers, Spit, cheaters, swim trunks, gaskets, t-shirts, electronics, hand tools, etc, etc, etc, is well worth it , the 2 day free shipping puts it out in front.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
If you order a lot of stuff, even small routine inexpensive stuff like ear plugs, keyboard covers, Spit, cheaters, swim trunks, gaskets, t-shirts, electronics, hand tools, etc, etc, etc, it well worth it , the 2 day free shipping puts it out in front.
The timer knob on our dryer is very fragile (it was free from a relative so I’m not complaining). A replacement is like $5, so having a replacement in 2 days without having to pay shipping is great. (I put epoxy in the cavities so hopefully it will provide some backing strength and I don’t have to worry about it.)

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The timer knob on our dryer is very fragile (it was free from a relative so I’m not complaining). A replacement is like $5, so having a replacement in 2 days without having to pay shipping is great. (I put epoxy in the cavities so hopefully it will provide some backing strength and I don’t have to worry about it.)
Retail is in trouble or at a minimum is being transformed. Stores can’t stock all the things customers want and I will no longer drive around town looking for something I need. I needed a plumbing gasket, went to a local plumbing supply chain. They did not have it. Drove to 3 sports stores looking for suitable swim trunks for a 66 year old man to swim laps. Did not have. Called a retail battery specialty store for replacement batteries to my cordless house phones. They could get them in 6 days. Ended up buying all three on Amazon at cheaper than retail pricing.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I am a member too. It’s hella convenient to order and have it delivered in day or two. I go to work, market, and home. No driving around trying to find a store with the product. Amazon is a huge timer saver for me. However Wells Fargo doesn’t like ho convenient they are.

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
I ditched it a couple of years ago when I realized I could buy 90% of the things I ordered online at local shops. Not having that nearly-instant gratification of free shipping has been both good for my wallet and for my town's locally-owned businesses! I never used any of the other Prime add-ons like videos and whatnot, so when they upped the membership price I let it go.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m impatient. I want things quickly, _very_ few companies can deliver specific items I’m looking for in just one business day, Amazon executes here. Plus, [Anecdotally] I feel Amazons customer service favors Prime members, they’ve made exceptions where regular members may not have had similar experiences. Prime Movies is nice, but I simply want the expedited shipping.

Reactions: artfossil

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have it but mostly for the video. I occasionally order small stuff I can't get locally. I just got a case for my AirPods case on it. Yea I know a case for a case :p

Reactions: jdechko

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I order everything from Amazon. Not just household stuff and groceries and pet stuff and clothing and cords and other electronics and books but also studio supplies. I feel that it's more efficient and more environmentally friendly for Amazon to deliver to me (as they deliver to the households around me) than for me to go out in my car and drive around . . . and not find what I need. Amazon Prime has become my favorite content provider--especially since I can add and delete channels depending on what I want to watch. Plus my daughter can share my Prime account for her orders. And their customer service is superb.

Reactions: russell_314

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
I’ve been a prime member for several years. The savings in shipping more than pays for the cost. In the last 2 years, I’ve also been using the prime video service and Amazon music as well. People can bash Amazon all they want. It’s my one stop shopping for most everything except clothes and shoes. I need a 3-d store for those.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Very convenient, disregarding Gutty's slang word he likely learned as an inhabitant of Northern California for over a decade.

We're Prime members. It's very useful. Finding a way to dispose of the boxes and packaging material on the other hand... oh what joy.

Never found a need for it, as I live literally about 5 minutes from one of their large distribution centers. There are times where I have ordered something, and it has come before the actual "quoted" delivery date.

Also, one of their locker locations is very close to be, and again there have been some instances where the item shows up sooner.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Retail is in trouble or at a minimum is being transformed. Stores can’t stock all the things customers want and I will no longer drive around town looking for something I need. I needed a plumbing gasket, went to a local plumbing supply chain. They did not have it. Drove to 3 sports stores looking for suitable swim trunks for a 66 year old man to swim laps. Did not have. Called a retail battery specialty store for replacement batteries to my cordless house phones. They could get them in 6 days. Ended up buying all three on Amazon at cheaper than retail pricing.

This this this. I order such a variety of items and it would be such a PITA to drive around getting all of them. Plus now I can get things the next day usually instead of two days.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Not with Amazon; I don't order enough stuff from there to justify it. But I do have a similar subscription with a local company. Every year they send out a summary showing how much you've saved, and so far every year it's been worthwhile.
Does this company services multiple areas? Or have competitors in other areas? Interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.