Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Oh that is really nice. They really do make it easy.

That’s the whole idea of e-commerce businesses. Making it easier for people to spend money. You click the button without even thinking about it and often one doesn’t even need to click any button.

Nishant

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
PA
I picked up the amazon prime card recently (not the visa). I tracked my yearly spending, the 5% back will easily cover the yearly fee.

Reactions: kltmom

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You beat me by 4 years. ?

:D

Probably really close to the same for Netflix, maybe 2000-2001? I'm 98% sure we had it before we moved to this house, so that would make that timeframe pretty close. I know my first documented DVD review was in Feb 2002 :D

Reactions: Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yup, me too. That is the only card I use for Amazon and it has paid for my Prime membership a couple of times.

No doubt, we buy enough from Amazon where, it build up pretty quick, then I score something for $0 :D

Since cashback at Amazon is for us, effectively just a 5% discount, I've got to where I even factory that into the price.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
No doubt, we buy enough from Amazon where, it build up pretty quick, then I score something for $0 :D

Since cashback at Amazon is for us, effectively just a 5% discount, I've got to where I even factory that into the price.

It always feel good when you go to buy something and notice you have enough points or dollars in the hopper to get it for $0.00!!! Or if you go to purchase something and notice you will have a nice little, or in some cases a substantial discount on the item!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I shop with Amazon, I am not a member of Amazon Prime.

Actually, instead, often, when making a purchase, I have to dodge those irritating and invasive pop-ups inviting me to join Amazon Prime every week or so, and am obliged to squint to locate the tiny button declining this kind invitation.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I picked up the amazon prime card recently (not the visa). I tracked my yearly spending, the 5% back will easily cover the yearly fee.
I think I have the Amazon Visa that pays 5%? I know it pays 5%, but think it’s a Visa. However I split purchases between that and Discover, which also pays 5% and rewards can be deducted from Amazon purchases.
[automerge]1571752977[/automerge]
While I shop with Amazon, I am not a member of Amazon Prime.

Actually, instead, often, when making a purchase, I have to dodge those irritating and invasive pop-ups inviting me to join Amazon Prime every week or so, and am obliged to squint to locate the tiny button declining this kind invitation.
It boils down to how much you buy and how often. Sometimes you need something, and don’t want to wait till you gather up $35 (equivalent in UK?) in items to purchase to get free shipping, and shipping can add up. With the membership you can buy things as small as a a couple of dollars/pounds and get it in two days with free shipping.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It boils down to how much you buy and how often. Sometimes you need something, and don’t want to wait till you gather up $35 (equivalent in UK?) in items to purchase to get free shipping, and shipping can add up. With the membership you can buy things as small as a a couple of dollars/pounds and get it in two days with free shipping.

Yeah, sometimes I'll have a few items in my cart, and I'm not sure about all of them just yet, and I love that I can just 'save for later' everything else, order the 1 or 2 items and get it shipped for free.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
It just auto renewed a few days ago. The price comes up but the value does not. Amazon Prime has a 'free' tier of Amazon Music and it has gotten less and less enticing. If I'm paying an extra $10 IN ADDITION to the $130+ they're already getting, I don't expect to pay more for music too. Amazon Video is 'free' not sure why Music isn't.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Not a member.
When I order from Amazon, I get free shipping. I thought that was for orders of $50 or more, but I get that benefit for smaller amounts. I don't see the point in joining.

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
I'm not a member. My sister gave me her login to watch movies but I don't even do that.
Buying a lot of things isn't my game- and even when I do buy things, I get my personal stuff from target (right next to my office) or ebay (cheaper, maybe used if available). I'm into Apple Music and most movies I stream via Criterion streaming or Starz (which maybe even has a better selection of movies on their app than Netflix). I buy shoes from my local family shoe store, and thats infrequent- any sometimes other goods from outlets nearby.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Yeah, sometimes I'll have a few items in my cart, and I'm not sure about all of them just yet, and I love that I can just 'save for later' everything else, order the 1 or 2 items and get it shipped for free.

THIS. I will probably join before the end of the year as I hope the price does not go up for it.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I love my Prime. Somehow my husband and I both have Prime accounts. We've talked about one of us giving up the account and just sharing, but we both have too much in there to do that. We both have monthly deliveries for a bunch of things. The only time we share at this point is when I use Prime video on my AppleTV, cause he has some premium channels.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Guys!!! I joined made my first purchase! Should get here tomorrow.

If you have stuff you know you're going to consistently use "subscribe and save" can save you some money.

The new season of Jack Ryan is about to start. Season 1 doesn't have a huge amount of episodes to catch up on.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I have been satisfied with Prime and use it on a daily basis; movies, TV, etc. I have items purchased about every two weeks.

Reactions: satcomer

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I love my Prime. Somehow my husband and I both have Prime accounts. We've talked about one of us giving up the account and just sharing, but we both have too much in there to do that. We both have monthly deliveries for a bunch of things. The only time we share at this point is when I use Prime video on my AppleTV, cause he has some premium channels.

FYI, you can have separate accounts, but share a single Prime, that's what the wife and I do! (so I have all Prime benefits, but no cost)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@D.T.

I've left things in my cart and bought them later, much later. I wasn't a member then, nor have I joined since.

What I was saying was I'm able to move items out of my cart, without having to worry about the total cart value in the context of shipping. $500? Free, $10? Free. :) And anymore, a ton of stuff is next day for free :D

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
If you have stuff you know you're going to consistently use "subscribe and save" can save you some money.

The new season of Jack Ryan is about to start. Season 1 doesn't have a huge amount of episodes to catch up on.

Are you able to set how long you want the next delivery for subscribe and save?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Are you able to set how long you want the next delivery for subscribe and save?

Honestly I can't remember. You can skip a month easily but it started being too much for me to juggle keeping track of how much I had of what. I can get things so quickly with Prime shipping I just order them when I need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.