Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Honestly I can't remember. You can skip a month easily but it started being too much for me to juggle keeping track of how much I had of what. I can get things so quickly with Prime shipping I just order them when I need them.

Yeah I’ve just started saving everything I plan to buy in ‘save for later’ so I just can just move to cart and check out.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I am curious on how many people actually are paid prime members. I'm thinking about doing the yearly option finally.. I've done the free trials and while it is really nice, the pricing was what made me hesitant of joining before. If you are a prime member, how often do you use it, and is it worth it for you?

We've been Prime members since the late 1990s. We use it a lot, in a lot of different ways. Amazon is a great place to track down obscure things, and the pricing is often attractive even on things that aren't obscure. Having delivery dates that are mostly date-certain is a big plus in a lot of ways. We use Amazon Video a great deal, alongside Netflix and iTunes (there's a lot of non-overlap among the three). Kindle and Audible aren't necessarily Prime-related, but we use those a lot also. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, but I'm sure that even after the last price increase we don't have any question about the value of Prime membership.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I love it, have had it for several years and make purchases from it frequently. If you made twelve purchases per year that cost you $10 a pop you'd have paid for your Prime membership. I'm suggesting $10 on average. Not to mention the convenience of having items shipped to me without having to drive around to find or purchase them. It's a major convenience factor for me.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

It's originated from one account, like right now if I go to Your Account >> Your Prime Membership, site shows my name, and Primary Member as my wife.

Look around in your account settings, under Manage Prime, specifically something under your Prime Membership, called Share your Benefits, and there's a button Manage Household where you can invite people into your Prime account.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Subscribe and save makes sense for certain consumables. Amazon used to make it easier to find cheap deals on brand name stuff until they made it slightly harder to find. You can still easily find it. Their search engine could be better.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I love it, have had it for several years and make purchases from it frequently. If you made twelve purchases per year that cost you $10 a pop you'd have paid for your Prime membership. I'm suggesting $10 on average. Not to mention the convenience of having items shipped to me without having to drive around to find or purchase them. It's a major convenience factor for me.

Yeah, I’m in awe of what they sell and how easy it is to get it.

hippyeverafter

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2017
Bletchley, England
Been a member since about 2005. Ordered an office chair a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and was delivered next day. Got a £12 refund for posting a revue from the seller albeit being a positive one, Where else on line would that happen.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Interesting thread. We have mulled the Prime idea each time we buy, and have yet to see a value in joining.

Our first rule of thumb with Amazon is: If it ain't free shipping...No buy.

As for wait time, anticipation is half the fun of buying on line. :) a2

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I am an Amazon addict. I am on average 1-2 orders per day. Originally got Prime in the UK so we could watch the Outlander series. Seems a little silly to have to buy that to get access to a show filmed in scotland, about scotland, from scotland. Lol... Originally it was great because if you opted for no rush delivery, you got a £1 credit on your kindle account so it paid for itself easily as we read a lot of books. They dont do that anymore so it is mainly the shipping benefits for us now.

Since getting it, I have become really lazy and pretty much anything that is not food, I select from Amazon first in bulk. I tend not to order from pantry as the pay for a box thing is annoying.

On your orders page it tells you how many you have placed. My "in the past 6 months" count at time of writing is 192 - I am not proud of this. I joke above but this, I believe is going to be the next screen time problem in youngsters. It is just too easy to get your "ooh! new shiny thing!" fix when your credit card is ready to be bled dry in 3-5 clicks.

• Wow
Reactions: D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
On your orders page it tells you how many you have placed. My "in the past 6 months" count at time of writing is 192 - I am not proud of this. I joke above but this, I believe is going to be the next screen time problem in youngsters. It is just too easy to get your "ooh! new shiny thing!" fix when your credit card is ready to be bled dry in 3-5 clicks.

Wow, hahaha, that is a bunch :D

2018 we had 118
2019 we're at 73, but still a couple of months left, including December, i.e., Christmas :)

Last 6 months, a feeble 36 :D

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I don't want to give the exact number out, but for 2019 it's north of 150 for us but less than 400...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
What I was saying was I'm able to move items out of my cart, without having to worry about the total cart value in the context of shipping. $500? Free, $10? Free. :) And anymore, a ton of stuff is next day for free :D
Oh. Well, as noted above, I get free shipping too. (not next day, of course) I rarely have an order of over $40.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My wife has an AliExpress account and holy smokes! I am amazed every time one of the small packages makes it over seas an in to our mailbox. Over course this happens almost daily!!! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

She sounds like me. I went to a conference for a week over the summer. Every day my husband would send me photos of my chair slowly being engulfed by a mound of packages, with pleas to stop ordering, ?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
She sounds like me. I went to a conference for a week over the summer. Every day my husband would send me photos of my chair slowly being engulfed by a mound of packages, with pleas to stop ordering, ?

HAHAHAHA... then you see the bill and I am like... hey that was only a quarter to ship and two bucks to buy. Ok... Then I see how many and I am like holy smokes!!!!

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I am making good use of my Prime subscription so far. Had a gift card and got my electronic toothbrush heads today. Completely for free. Just ordered a bathroom organizer and used the rest of my gift card and only paid $5.33. ??

Reactions: kenoh

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
We call it "The death of the high street" in the UK.

This is sort of v2.0 of that in the US. Fifteen years ago (give or take) the "big box" stores appeared and put many smaller local businesses out of business. Think Home Depot or Lowes vs. Main Street Hardware.

The odd thing, to me at least, is that now I tend to think of Home Depot (for example) as the local store. They're 10 minutes away - they employ a lot of local people - the staff can be quite helpful when questions arise - they pay local property taxes - etc. Amazon, for all its huge advantages, does none of these.

I'm sure we'll keep our Prime membership (we joined in 1997) and use it a lot, but I do pause now and think: can I get this at Home Depot for about the same price? Should I help make sure that my local Home Depot stays in business? It's a little surreal but I have started asking that question.
[automerge]1571961537[/automerge]
I've been thinking about trying it out for groceries.

I've found that some things that are hard to find locally can be gotten from Amazon Fresh. I've been extremely pleased with their service, which delivers in a two-hour window that I choose.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Screenshot dude ... talk is cheap, SHIFT+ALT+CMD+4 is the word of god ... :D

I’ve got a monkey on my back. ?

CC1F7F13-C7D7-4BD4-A81A-3FE9F4B3DA63.jpeg

Reactions: kenoh and D.T.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.