Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Store I was at had 10 of each, and most people went for the 16gb black leaving with only 8gb left.

Givn2Fly13

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
The ATT store I went to ran out of 8 g before I was let in the store. I was # 16 in line. I got a white and a black 16, and I got the last black 16. The 30 or so people left in line had the choice of.....white 16..thats it.
This store had a total of 30

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Forced? No, no, no, no.....if you bought an 8GB you weren't forced to buy it. You chose to buy it because you somehow convinced yourself that you couldn't wait. Its what we in the business like to call impulse buying.

cmeriptahoe

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
I am amazed that you would buy an 8 that you didnt want just to have it on the 1st day. Why not wait another couple of days and get the 16 that you actually want?

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Forced? no way. There will most likely have more 16gb ones in the morning.

alexplank

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
they had a uniformed cop at the local att store for security. He held a glock to my head and told me to buy the 8gb. :apple:

~*allison*~

macrumors regular
Seriously, who held the gun to your head? No one forced you to buy the phone. If you wanted the 16 that bad, you could've just waited. I mean, really, it's been how long you've been waiting for the 3g anyway? What's a couple more days?

esvienne

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
I... really wanted the 8gb black phone- so did my boyfriend. But unfortunately we were one of the last people able to get the iPhones in stock, and were forced to get white 16gb. Blah. It's funny how highly coveted the white one seems to be- I don't particularly want it. I asked the lady if I can exchange it once they get black back in stock and she said sure, within 14 days and for a 10 dollar restocking fee.

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
I wouldnt say forced, but instead when I was told they only had 8GB iPhones left, it made me realise that its all I need, I dont have enough music or whatever to fill anywhere near 8GB let alone 16GB. Perfectly happy with the decision, and £60 in pocket too!

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I waited in line for 4 hours only to find out they only got 2 16GB, I passed on the 8GB. I am a miserable effer today, but it wasn't worth sacrificing what I really wanted.

werkedm3

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
You were not forced to buy anything. I, like many others, was forced to leave empty handed. Consider yourself lucky

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
I wanted a white 16GB and ended up with an 8GB black. I asked about ordering a white one, but was told it would take 5-7 days to come in, which seemed crazy long. I wanted the white more for the look than the capacity, and I knew 8GB would suit my needs and also like the look of it a lot, so I went for it. My store got 40, I was number 30-something in line, and I got one of the last ones. They were completely sold out before I walked out.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The store I went to sold out in this order:

16 gig white (all the cool people live by me apparently)
8 gig black
16 gig black

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
Forced? No, no, no, no.....if you bought an 8GB you weren't forced to buy it. You chose to buy it because you somehow convinced yourself that you couldn't wait. Its what we in the business like to call impulse buying.

You will buy whatever 3G iPhone is available (waves hand).

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
If you guys knew the amount of time it requires to sync these applications, you would be more inclined to get the 16gb.

I rather sync music and movies than applications, but in which case, 16gb would be much better. Also, it's not like you a choice to upgrade when 16gb is available, and you will be stuck with 8gb.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I am amazed that you would buy an 8 that you didnt want just to have it on the 1st day. Why not wait another couple of days and get the 16 that you actually want?

I agree...not to mention the drama associated with launch days.
i.e...just about every thread going right now. (esp...that got lynched in vegas thread that is now closed.) :eek:

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Man I'm pissed, I showed up, stood in line for 30 minutes, I was #11 in line, and then they tell us not that they sold out of, but didn't even receive the 16GB models and to try again next week. WTFFFF I live in Vancouver btw.... wtf is up with that?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
forced ...how ?

muppet !
If you showed up at 6:00 and found out that by the time you get to the line, you could only buy an 8gb black and you are looking for 16gb white. I consider that to be "forced", and the fact that you can't upgrade once you commit.

cmeriptahoe

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
If you showed up at 6:00 and found out that by the time you get to the line, you could only buy an 8gb black and you are looking for 16gb white. I consider that to be "forced", and the fact that you can't upgrade once you commit.

That's not forced. All you have to do is wait until 16gb white comes into stock. You just HAD to have the COOLEST new gadget on the FIRST day so you decided to forego the item you actually wanted for a lesser product. Kids in Africa are forced not to eat because they don't have any food. You weren't forced to buy the new iPhone when you went to the store. You had a choice.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
That's not forced. All you have to do is wait until 16gb white comes into stock. You just HAD to have the COOLEST new gadget on the FIRST day so you decided to forego the item you actually wanted for a lesser product. Kids in Africa are forced not to eat because they don't have any food. You weren't forced to buy the new iPhone when you went to the store. You had a choice.

I am not referencing "force" to that extent. Assuming the scenario, you are in line for the "last" available phone and it is an 8gb black. Were you "pressured" to make the decision then to purchase the 8gb or not?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Kids in Africa are forced not to eat because they don't have any food. You weren't forced to buy the new iPhone when you went to the store. You had a choice.

I'd agree. I had the choice to get a 8GB, or wait. I chose to wait. I guess some decided to get an 8GB and see if they could upgrade later, but the O2 rep I spoke to got narky when I mentioned that possibility (so I imagine they don't have a policy yet).

If you bought an 8GB, when you wanted a 16GB, you made that choice to buy, over waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.