Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
AT&T came out @ 930am and told us they were just about out of 16GB Black iPhones. With only four sales people and times of at least 15 minutes per phone, this means they sold about 16-20 of them TOPS. I left and decided to take the hour long drive to the Apple store tonight...

I missed all the hoopla about Activation issues, and went home at lunch and proceeded to update to 2.0. I got lucky and after a nervous 20 minutes of not being able to contact the iTunes store, it completed.

Makes for a stressful day... LOL

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Forced? No, no, no, no.....if you bought an 8GB you weren't forced to buy it. You chose to buy it because you somehow convinced yourself that you couldn't wait. Its what we in the business like to call impulse buying.

So true. When the original came out last year, I told myself that I would not belittle the value of my time by standing in line. 7 days after iDay, I walked into an Apple store, and left 10 minutes later with the iPhone in my hand. I got the model that I wanted, and didn't wait in line... all because I had the patience to wait just a couple more days.

On that same topic, I'm still on 1.1.4, and though I'm very excited to upgrade, I'm not going to sit there and plug my phone in and out a dozen times and burn 2 hours of my time to do it when I know it will take me only 10 minutes if I wait until Sunday or so....

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
On that same topic, I'm still on 1.1.4, and though I'm very excited to upgrade, I'm not going to sit there and plug my phone in and out a dozen times and burn 2 hours of my time to do it when I know it will take me only 10 minutes if I wait until Sunday or so....
Actually the sync itself takes much longer than 10 minutes regardless of the traffic.

cmeriptahoe

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
I am not referencing "force" to that extent. Assuming the scenario, you are in line for the "last" available phone and it is an 8gb black. Were you "pressured" to make the decision then to purchase the 8gb or not?

No you werent "pressured" at all because you could have just said no and walked away without the phone. Then you could go back a couple days later and get the one you actually wanted.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
I was like 6th in line at my ATT store and when I got in I was greeted with the manager saying they received no black 16 GB 3G's so I would have to buy a white one, which I didn't want to do at all. I finally said ahhh okay ill buy the white one. Didn't want the 3 hours in line to be for naught. Just as they bring it out a FedEx driver shows up in front with one box and it was full of black 16GB 3G's. The manager checked them in and brought one to the register I was at. I was beyond stoked. Seems they got a lot of 8GB, and white ones but not so much of the black 16GB models.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
No you werent "pressured" at all because you could have just said no and walked away without the phone. Then you could go back a couple days later and get the one you actually wanted.

So you're willing to stand 3 hours in line and just walk away?

cmeriptahoe

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007

Yea. In the long run what is 3 hours? You are going to be using this phone everyday for probably at least a year. Think about the amount of time you spend using your phone every day. Then factor in how much you are paying for the phone. You shouldn't have to buy something you don't want just to justify the 3 hours you stood in line. Standing in line is more about the expereince and being there with people. I am going to walk into the Apple store next Tuesday and not wait in any line and get whatever version of the iPhone that I want. I'm not about to waste a significant amount of money on something I dont want.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

I saw a fair few do it, myself included. Most of us probably were on list today, just in case the mythical "Friday stock replenish" occured - we'd get a call and come in and be 1st in line to get it.

mcnieman

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
they sold out of all 16 gb right when there were only a few people ahead of us, I opted to wait... settling for an 8 when you want a 16 is pure stupidity.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I saw a fair few do it, myself included. Most of us probably were on list today, just in case the mythical "Friday stock replenish" occured - we'd get a call and come in and be 1st in line to get it.

I wish there were a few that did it at the store I was waiting...If only 6-7 people away in front of me, I would be testing my 3G.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
they sold out of all 16 gb right when there were only a few people ahead of us, I opted to wait... settling for an 8 when you want a 16 is pure stupidity.

then the argument is those that want 16gb, are you settling it for it when many are expecting to see a 32gb in not too distant future?

mcnieman

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
I really don't have an interest in the 32gb at this point or I would probably put it off.

I can see settling for the white if you wanted black etc, but chances are that there will be 16's available tomorrow, so what's one day?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I really don't have an interest in the 32gb at this point or I would probably put it off.

I can see settling for the white if you wanted black etc, but chances are that there will be 16's available tomorrow, so what's one day?
If you were motivated enough to get up at 4:30 in the morning, get in line by 5 and find out that you can't get the phone you want. I am sure many will be settling with 8gb, hence the reason for this thread.

The point is not to ask what you think the term "force" means and how flexible you are personally.

mcnieman

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
That's all I'm responding to. We were up insanely early, and did wait hours, and I was as frustrated as the next guy.. but I'd rather wait another day than settle.. but that's just me.

spacetycho

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
wanted white 16GB, but...

i wouldn't say i was forced, but i had no choice when it got to my turn. all 16GBs were sold out. while in line fedex delivered another shipment but even those 16Gbs sold out before i got in the store.

so...i got a 8GB and saved $100! a $100 which i will probably spend on apps tonight, if i get the damn thing activated when i get home from work.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
then the argument is those that want 16gb, are you settling it for it when many are expecting to see a 32gb in not too distant future?

Wanting to buy the 16GB today, rather than not being able to buy a model that isn't out yet (everyone would love a 32GB - even those with 8GB now, as it'll see a price drop on all handsets, or at least NAND bump)

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
If you showed up at 6:00 and found out that by the time you get to the line, you could only buy an 8gb black and you are looking for 16gb white. I consider that to be "forced", and the fact that you can't upgrade once you commit.

Look , if I showed up to buy a telephone that can go ont tinternet at 6:00am , and didn't buy what I actually turned out to buy( in stock or no) then that would make me a complete and utter muppet , ESPECIALLY if I came away with a model I DIDN'T WANT , but then again I didn't do that ;) ....YOU did !
Just the fact that you went to queue , repeat queue UP FOR A INTERNET PHONE !!! and came away with a model of said phone you DID NOT ACTUALLY WANT

You put YOUR hand , in YOUR wallet for something you did not want, that is not "forced" that's just stupidity , period

I call it stupidity because , well it is ...you could have waited , 2 maybe 3 days and got what you wanted , but then again you wouldn't have had it the first day of release ..

hang on , just nipping out for a curry n rice take away , oh what's that ,I'll have to queue, OK no probs I'm real hungry soo... whats that ??? no rice ,oh ok I'll have some cheese instead MEH

I'm embarrassed for you, I really am & after reading responses that you have received from a here a MAC forum well , that just confirms it .

Look I don't wish to be too hard on ya but ....come on , engage some common sense next time eh

:apple:

airlights

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Henderson, NV
Um, what? You cannot be forced to purchase something you do not. If you wanted the 16GB White or Black, you could have always come back at a later date. You do not always need to get a new product on the first day it's released. :/

LotuSviLLe

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I wanted the 16gig black but they ran out before my turn in line so I got the 8gig for now and I'm going to exchange it for a 16gig later within the 30 day return policy and get a 16gig black ;]. This all depends on me even getting 8gig to activate on iTunes when I get home from work of course ;].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.