Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi guys,

Basically the title. My iPhone X loses about 3-6% when left locked (maybe occasionally checking time). Is this normal? I’m on 13.5.1.

Thanks and best wishes
Chris

19SK91

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Agree with both comments above and wanna add that battery health also plays a role.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
You can go into Settings->Battery to see what is using the power.
That’s the problem because no apps show up during that times. During the night I lose over 20% without the battery stats showing any apps which caused the drain.

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
Time for a new battery? My X was at 82% battery health and I could only make it through half a day. Replaced mine when the Apple Store opened last week and now I am ending the day at about 5%.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
That’s the problem because no apps show up during that times. During the night I lose over 20% without the battery stats showing any apps which caused the drain.

What is your battery health at? Mittencuh is correct - as the battery ages it will drop a lot faster.

My 11 Pro max loses 5-10% a night - most of my iPhones have done that - it's usually closer to 5% than 10% tho. But it being an X that battery probably has some age on it, and it's normal for it to drain faster even with little pegging the battery.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
My iPhone X is a replacement device that I got in October last year through AppleCare+. My battery health is at 97%.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I know it may seem obvious but have you tried turning it off and on again? Ive had battery issues caused by some unknown software bug and restarting it solved it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My iPhone X is a replacement device that I got in October last year through AppleCare+. My battery health is at 97%.

Then 20% is a lot imo. I've never had an iPhone lose that much overnight (that wasn't due to an errant app running all night).

Do you lay your phone face down? That usually prevents notifications from waking it up (the screen). I'd try that and see if that makes any difference.

Like Seanm87 said, give it a restart and see if that helps.

Worse case? I'd reset phone and set it up as new (not from iCloud backup). I've found that to help some weird behaviors in the past.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I know it may seem obvious but have you tried turning it off and on again? Ive had battery issues caused by some unknown software bug and restarting it solved it.
Yup, I regularly reboot my iPhone.
Do you lay your phone face down? That usually prevents notifications from waking it up (the screen). I'd try that and see if that makes any difference.
I always have the phone face up. Might give face down a try.
Worse case? I'd reset phone and set it up as new (not from iCloud backup). I've found that to help some weird behaviors in the past.
Yup, that might perhaps solve it but the problem isn't problematic enough for me that I would go through the process of resetting it and setting it up as new :p

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yup, I regularly reboot my iPhone.

I always have the phone face up. Might give face down a try.

Yup, that might perhaps solve it but the problem isn't problematic enough for me that I would go through the process of resetting it and setting it up as new :p

Let us know how it goes. Yeah, I hate setting up my phone as new - takes hours to get it back to normal. I only do that once every 2-3 years if I can help it.

I'd probably start removing apps I don't need - and observing battery life overnight to see if removing any of them has any effect.

I reboot my iPhone maybe once every other week just out of old habit.

That and, maybe invest in a bedside charger+cable and leave it plugged in overnight.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Funny that you mention that because I always end my day surfing on MacRumors. And sometimes when I launch Safari on the next morning I get a message at the top saying something like "There was a problem with this website. It has been reloaded".
Regarding YouTube: I always kill that app out of the app switcher after I used it.

So for the next night, I won't keep MacRumors open in Safari and I will keep the phone face down. Let's see how it goes :)

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Okay, update: So I left it face down overnight and MacRumors wasn’t open in Safari.

Result: I lost 40% in about 9 hours ? And the battery stats show nothing during that time.

Edit: I now cleared all of the running apps out of the app switcher, rebooted my iPhone and then launched them again. Let's see if that makes any difference. Is there anything else I could try? Or is this a hardware defect? My mom's iPhone 8 Plus lost about 15% in about 20 hours yesterday (locked almost all the time during that period). That's some battery life that I can dream of ;)

Last edited:

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Hi guys,

Basically the title. My iPhone X loses about 3-6% when left locked (maybe occasionally checking time). Is this normal? I’m on 13.5.1.

Thanks and best wishes
Chris

Zero. My old 8+ and now 11pro can go through the night, off charge without losing any battery life.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Zero. My old 8+ and now 11pro can go through the night, off charge without losing any battery life.
Seems like there's definitely something wrong with either my device or the software. Let's see if the closing all apps out of the app switcher did something but I have no high hopes.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Seems like there's definitely something wrong with either my device or the software. Let's see if the closing all apps out of the app switcher did something but I have no high hopes.

Also try a hard reset whilst on charge. That usually sorts any probs out for me.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks for the tip. Just did this. Let's see how the iPhone does during the next night.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
DND would't help I guess since I don't get a ton of notifications. Full restore would be the last resort but while the battery issue is quite annoying it's not annoying enough for me personally that I would go through the process of restoring the device ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.