Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
will be putting my sealed, never-opened Apple IIe computer on eBay in a couple of weeks. I bought back in 1985. Never opened box is in pristine condition. Even got the original store receipt(laminated)

How much $ can I expect to sell a never-opened Apple IIe computer?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
That's awesome, it's got to be great for someone who has the money and likes to collect things like this to find one in NIB condition, especially with a laminated receipt.

I assume you bought this as an investment? I guess that's less risky than stock in a way, even if Apple tanked there could still be a market for such items.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
That's awesome, it's got to be great for someone who has the money and likes to collect things like this to find one in NIB condition, especially with a laminated receipt.

I assume you bought this as an investment? I guess that's less risky than stock in a way, even if Apple tanked there could still be a market for such items.

no, it wasn't an investment. I bought it as a gift, then got him something else instead. The store wouldn't take it back, so I just stuffed it in the closet. Forgot about it. Took it out sometime around the end of 1999 when I was moving. Then put it in the closet again after moving to a new house. It pretty much became a family joke... but we now need the closet space for a remodeling, so I cleared everything out at a yard sale two weekends ago. The Apple IIe had no takers. Nobody even asked about it, but I had planned on letting it go for just $500.(again, if anybody bothered asking)

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
no, it wasn't an investment. I bought it as a gift, then got him something else instead. The store wouldn't take it back, so I just stuffed it in the closet. Forgot about it. Took it out sometime around the end of 1999 when I was moving. Then put it in the closet again after moving to a new house. It pretty much became a family joke... but we now need the closet space for a remodeling, so I cleared everything out at a yard sale two weekends ago. The Apple IIe had no takers. Nobody even asked about it, but I had planned on letting it go for just $500.(again, if anybody bothered asking)

Maybe it just isn't a model people want anymore. I don't know much about them. Good luck.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Maybe it just isn't a model people want anymore. I don't know much about them. Good luck.

I figured the best place to ask was the local Apple authorized service place.
They handle iPad/iPhone/Mac warranty repairs for Apple, but has a bunch of
Mac nuts.(or that's what they call themselves)

I stopped by there tonight and spoke to a couple of them earlier this evening.
They said if it's in the unopened condition like I described, they would be
very interested. The manager offered me $2500 in cash. When I bring
the unopened Apple IIe to the store, he will give me $2500 in cash. He will
unbox it right there. If the machine can be powered on, he will give me an
additional $500. So, best case scenario, $3000.... He told me to call him
before going in, so he can go withdraw the cash from the bank first.

I told him that I needed to sleep on it. That was too easy... makes me wonder
if there's a subculture of people who collect antique Apple II computers...
maybe I can get more? But cash is cash which is just as good as money, plus
I won't have to deal with eBay buyers and fees and shipping.... hmmm....

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Personally I'd go with the local manager's offer. You get $2,500 regardless and an additional $500 if it powers up.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Does the IIe have the time battery? If so, it could have leaked all over the motherboard by now.

have no idea... but the remote of my Apple TV had the same problem after just three months. (the previous generation with the silver remote) it wasn't eaxctly a leak... but more like white/greenish powdery stuff all over the inside. I had a SquareTrade warranty on it but they refused to honor it.(since it was only 2-months
Personally I'd go with the local manager's offer. You get $2,500 regardless and an additional $500 if it powers up.

Yup, going with that deal. Called him about half an hour ago and agreed to the deal. Will be taking the Apple IIe to the store after lunch today. Like I said, cash is cash, which is just as good as money.

Reactions: TonyK

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
stopped by the Mac store and completed the transaction. the manager said it was the best-looking unopened Apple II(any series) box he had ever seen in his life. Should have asked for more money? :D I wasn't surprised.. the thing sat untouched inside my closets for 30+ years. He took out the $2500 in cash and apologized that they were all in $20s, since that's what the credit union next door had.

He and another employee spent 10 minutes carefully cutting open the original tape and remove the Apple IIe. They acted like they were museum workers opening newly arrived fossils or something. :) After another 5 minutes, they were able to power the thing on!!! Cha-Ching! He handed me another $500 as promised!(again, all in $20 bills) It was like looking at a mini time machine come to life.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Looks like you got a good deal. Around eight years ago an unopened Apple IIc sold on eBay for $2600. You probably would not do much better at auction after fees. Plus you avoided the risks of eBay.
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-ebay--new-in-box-apple-ii--never-opened.html

The IIe was a more iconic model. Just because practically every student in the 80's used one in school. It was an older model as well. However, they were also produced in far greater numbers for much longer.

Unfortunately for the buyer. He opened it. While it had that value when he bought it. The collectors resale value was hurt. Although it will likely be kept in mint condition. Mint is not New in Box.

Reactions: LiveM and TonyK

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
The IIc is such a cute looking computer that I wouldn't mind owning someday. I have a II GS from when I was younger (parents bought). Some people open it for the thrill of being the first one to see or touch a new product. Why keep it sealed forever once it's paid for?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Glad this all worked out for you. As another poster said, you avoided fees and risks by selling locally.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I remember our IIe too well. Blew a hole on a chip on a 5 1/4 drive. It also ate hours of my wife's writing that was not recoverable. Bad spell checker. :(

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
You didn't even video this event, let alone get a professional outlet to film it?

Cannot. Believe.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I figured the best place to ask was the local Apple authorized service place.
They handle iPad/iPhone/Mac warranty repairs for Apple, but has a bunch of
Mac nuts.(or that's what they call themselves)

I stopped by there tonight and spoke to a couple of them earlier this evening.
They said if it's in the unopened condition like I described, they would be
very interested. The manager offered me $2500 in cash. When I bring
the unopened Apple IIe to the store, he will give me $2500 in cash. He will
unbox it right there. If the machine can be powered on, he will give me an
additional $500. So, best case scenario, $3000.... He told me to call him
before going in, so he can go withdraw the cash from the bank first.

I told him that I needed to sleep on it. That was too easy... makes me wonder
if there's a subculture of people who collect antique Apple II computers...
maybe I can get more? But cash is cash which is just as good as money, plus
I won't have to deal with eBay buyers and fees and shipping.... hmmm....
https://rlv.zcache.com/pics_or_it_d...a91cfbe4e509401c9434d861ab7_tvw_8byvr_540.jpg

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I know this is an old thread but i am surprised no one from the being shouted out this being fake. I mean come on, a 30+ year old mac sitting in a closet, never opened, box in pristine condition and the owner does not take any pics prior to it being sold!! then has the nerve to post the story in the Apple Collectors section, a section where pics of old mac stuff is a must for collectors.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
stopped by the Mac store and completed the transaction. the manager said it was the best-looking unopened Apple II(any series) box he had ever seen in his life. Should have asked for more money? :D I wasn't surprised.. the thing sat untouched inside my closets for 30+ years. He took out the $2500 in cash and apologized that they were all in $20s, since that's what the credit union next door had.

He and another employee spent 10 minutes carefully cutting open the original tape and remove the Apple IIe. They acted like they were museum workers opening newly arrived fossils or something. :) After another 5 minutes, they were able to power the thing on!!! Cha-Ching! He handed me another $500 as promised!(again, all in $20 bills) It was like looking at a mini time machine come to life.

That's awesome! I am surprised they opened it though! I think it would be cool just having a sealed Apple IIe laying around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.