Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm still on my first iPad, a Gen 8, and I can't even say when I bought it. But, for the first time, I got a message that there wasn't enough space to install the OS update. I deleted some Apple apps listed as "ok to remove" on their website, and then it worked. I don't know how much more room is on a newer iPad, but that looks like it will be the trigger for replacing mine.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you are waiting on Apple to add multi-user log on to the iPad… then I suggest stop waiting and look elsewhere (no need for curiosity going forward).

I may be wrong, but it’s in Apple best interest for the household to buy multiple iPads… wouldn’t be beneficial for Apple to allow multi-user log on.
Well sure, that's why I made the decision to move on from iPad for now, but I don't believe it won't happen in the future. As iPad logically moves to more Mac-like, I think it will take on more features that the Mac has, like multi-user. We'll see though.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I usually keep my iPad's for about 3 years. Had the 2018 11", and now have the M1 11" that i got in 2021. It's still running perfectly, so unless there is some major update to the iPad's this year, I'll probably stand pat.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The battery on my 2018 IPP is finally starting to feel like it's showing its age. I'm ready to upgrade if the next Pros look nice.

Turfschipper

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
Writing on my ipad air 1. Buying a new one this year. When was it out? 2014? Thats ten years haha.

But to be fair, in 2022 i wanted to upgrade, cause one after the other app stopped support and working. But thought, lets wait for the new ones.... So..... in 2023 been waiting for a whole year. And nothing new announced.

Now, most of the apps i use dont work anymore. Even youtube stopped working this week. Only works in the browser now.

Really need a new one. I want to buy a new air or pro, depend on prices and specs. But i also want to buy a mini 7 at the end of the year. Cause i picked up camping again, and the air 1 is a bit big and clumsy to bring along.

Cant wait for it anymore, but man.... the new device, which ever it will be, gonna feel so fast and pretty to me. Thats a massive + for when you really take long times to upgrade.

I can even buy last gens and it will still feel like i am flying.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I got the first iPad at launch in 2010, upgraded to the third iteration (first retina one) in 2012, the iPad Air 2nd generation in 2014 and finally the revamped iPad Pro 12.9" in 2018. That has been such a good iPad that it's now become the longest one I've had between upgrades.

Interested to see what comes this year and if they can finally come up with something that represents a big upgrade on my 2018 model.

Reactions: alecgold

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I'm on the 2021 M1 12.9" iPad Pro. No issues whatsoever. Still performs beautifully. My iPad Mini 5 however is definitely feeling the power differences from the M1 of course. But I do like the touch ID home button in certain situations like laying in bed or when I am not staring directly at the screen (for Face ID to work in other devices).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I'm on the 2021 M1 12.9" iPad Pro. No issues whatsoever. Still performs beautifully. My iPad Mini 5 however is definitely feeling the power differences from the M1 of course. But I do like the touch ID home button in certain situations like laying in bed or when I am not staring directly at the screen (for Face ID to work in other devices).
I love Touch ID. Hanging onto my Mini 5 and 2nd gen 12.9” iPad Pro for as long as I possibly can.

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
creative features and display will keep me buying I went with the M2 for pencil hover, Going with 2024 model for OLED.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I love Touch ID. Hanging onto my Mini 5 and 2nd gen 12.9” iPad Pro for as long as I possibly can.
Same I love touch ID and the jack for playing music (bluetooth is not an option for music playing/creation because of latency), I won't be upgrading my cellular mini 5 anytime soon (I even bought a second identical one for $150 used).
On the pro I have moved on, but won't be upgrading my 2018 11" either thanks to it being the 6GB RAM variant (the 4GB RAM ones instead are a pain)
And for the 12.9 I have the M1 which is plenty for a very long time.
Will not be upgrading any of these 3 sizes any time soon and would only buy an iPad if it comes at a larger size, but no rumors for 2024....

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Same I love touch ID and the jack for playing music (bluetooch is not an option for music playing/creation because of latency), I won't be upgrading my cellular mini 5 anytime soon (I even bought a second identical one for $150 used).
On the pro I have moved on, but won't be upgrading my 2018 11" either thanks to it being the 6GB RAM variant (the 4GB RAM ones instead are a pain)
And for the 12.9 I have the M1 which is plenty for a very long time.
Will not be upgrading any of these 3 sizes any time soon and would only buy an iPad if it comes at a larger size, but no rumors for 2024....
Same I use the jack for audio creation, I’d really miss that too. I already miss it on my iPhone, which I also used to use for audio creation but no more. Just don’t want to mess with dongles.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Anyone planning on upgrading this year? I’m thinking upgrading my 11” M1, but if it’ll be worth it or not who knows?
Not planning on getting the Mini 7, but may be interested in the Air 6, spec and price dependent. Would mean having two iPads for the first time, as I would keep my Mini 6.

My phone is first in line for an upgrade (have had a Samsung S9 for 4.5 years and it now can’t be trusted not to shut off once the battery goes below 25%.)

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Now, most of the apps i use dont work anymore. Even youtube stopped working this week. Only works in the browser now.
YouTube must be brutal on an Air 1. In my Pro 9.7 it’s barely watchable in Safari because of how long it takes the page to load. That 2GB of RAM is the main culprit I’m sure. Yours has half that. Oof.

Reactions: Digitalguy

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Writing on my ipad air 1. Buying a new one this year. When was it out? 2014? Thats ten years haha.

But to be fair, in 2022 i wanted to upgrade, cause one after the other app stopped support and working. But thought, lets wait for the new ones.... So..... in 2023 been waiting for a whole year. And nothing new announced.

Really need a new one. I want to buy a new air or pro, depend on prices and specs. But i also want to buy a mini 7 at the end of the year. Cause i picked up camping again, and the air 1 is a bit big and clumsy to bring along.

Cant wait for it anymore, but man.... the new device, which ever it will be, gonna feel so fast and pretty to me. Thats a massive + for when you really take long times to upgrade.

I can even buy last gens and it will still feel like i am flying.
Glad I'm not the only one still rocking a mid-2010s model. I'm still using my Air 2 and it still works beautifully except for some crashing and lagging when I use Safari too heavily. I mostly just use it for Twitter and YouTube though.

Reactions: Turfschipper

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I like to upgrade when there’s still some life on the device. I like to be able to gift useful tech forward and let them help someone else out. With iPads, that’s 2-3 years. I take excellent care of my tech and I make sure anything coming from me still has life left.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
YouTube must be brutal on an Air 1. In my Pro 9.7 it’s barely watchable in Safari because of how long it takes the page to load. That 2GB of RAM is the main culprit I’m sure. Yours has half that. Oof.
YouTube works flawlessly for me on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12, does your App work? The poster you replied to’s app should work, but an Air 1 on iOS 12? It’s probably obliterated.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
YouTube works flawlessly for me on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12, does your App work? The poster you replied to’s app should work, but an Air 1 on iOS 12? It’s probably obliterated.
I’m on iOS 16 and never use the YouTube app, only in Safari.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
The battery on my 2018 IPP is finally starting to feel like it's showing its age. I'm ready to upgrade if the next Pros look nice.
Same, but if the price here in Europe is as horrendous as last time i will not bother. Just going to OLED adds virtually nothing over my 2018 IPP That I will benefit from. My battery is a bit naff now but otherwise this iPad is still as good as new.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Anyone planning on upgrading this year? I’m thinking upgrading my 11” M1, but if it’ll be worth it or not who knows?
I have my 2020 iPad Pro and don't plan to upgrade until I see a feature I need to have. So I won't say "im not upgrading anytime soon" but it just depends on what the next few releases bring, so far my iPad is doing great and I feel no need to upgrade.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Too often. Almost every time. But this time...I have an 4th gen 11 Pro, 1TB, 16GB RAM. I don't see a purpose any longer in upgrading, sicne what hardware I have is already horrendously underused. I don't care about OLED and if the pricing rumors are true ($1,500 low end), there is no justification beyond "having the latest."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.