Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
First question: while I know Apple has skipped an A-series chip in the iPad lineup before, have they ever introduced a *new* A-series in the iPad first? My recollection is that the iPhone always introduces the latest A-series chip. Not that they couldn't change things up, but it seems less likely. Note that the A10x-based iPad was released in June 2017-- just a few months before the A11 was introduced in the iPhone X.

Given this, unless they go a 2 full years between releases, the iPad Pro is likely to end up with the A13x-- only a question of when.

(EDIT: Technically it seems Apple announced the iPad Pro in 2015 *before* the iPhone 6s, in the same September event. And it was available after the iPhone 6s... I guess what I'm thinking is that I don't see the A series cadence moving up for a spring/summer 2020 A14 launch, but who knows.)

I do suspect the iPad is getting some additional focus / effort as a segment of their business that has growth potential, which is the primary reason they might move to a yearly release cadence. Doesn't mean they need to -- the OS update might be enough to carry it into next spring. I'm just wish-casting because I want to see a spec bump this fall when I plan on buying :p
Technically the iPad CPUs have been different than the iPhone cpus—Same architecture, different clock speeds, core counts. They could for instance increase A13x clock speed to match or exceed A14 architecture improvements. It would be a bummer to have the iPhone outperform iPad in single core only a few months later but this happened before when they skipped A11 for iPad and the iPhone was faster (excluding gpu). Adding more cores on iPad at this point isn’t going to increase performance that much as most apps are single threaded and there’s already enough extra cores for background tasks so I fear next iPad is going to be disappointing on increased performance compared to current iPad Pro. Who knows, maybe GPU finally becomes more “desktop class” on iPad. Right now GPUs in iPad are same caliber as Xbox One S graphics. For comparison a AMD RX 580 (in the iMac) is 3.6 times faster. And that’s a very basic, not anything to write home about, gpu for desktop.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
I had an original, 2, 3, then downsized to a mini and later a mini 2. Still using that one...

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Technically the iPad CPUs have been different than the iPhone cpus—Same architecture, different clock speeds, core counts. They could for instance increase A13x clock speed to match or exceed A14 architecture improvements. It would be a bummer to have the iPhone outperform iPad in single core only a few months later but this happened before when they skipped A11 for iPad and the iPhone was faster (excluding gpu). Adding more cores on iPad at this point isn’t going to increase performance that much as most apps are single threaded and there’s already enough extra cores for background tasks so I fear next iPad is going to be disappointing on increased performance compared to current iPad Pro. Who knows, maybe GPU finally becomes more “desktop class” on iPad. Right now GPUs in iPad are same caliber as Xbox One S graphics. For comparison a AMD RX 580 (in the iMac) is 3.6 times faster. And that’s a very basic, not anything to write home about, gpu for desktop.
I've actually only been looking at single core performance increases generation over generation with the iPad Pro, and there's been a substantial jump each generation. But your point stands that one of those gains was representative of skipping an A-series (A11)-- maybe you need to generations for there to be a notable bump in performance?

I should just buy the 2018 model and forget about it :p

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i had ipad 2 16gb(won in a raffle draw) >>> upgraded to ipad air2 64gb LTE >>>> Air2 is still solid for my son's gaming and youtube purpose...
planning to get mini 5 LTE ... i've been dying to get mini eversince... i have the mini5 wifi but planning to exchange for LTE model.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
For me every 3-4 years. I just got an iPad Pro 11, and love it, my previous one was the iPad Air 2 (now my girlfriend’s).

Honestly, until iPadOS takes off and adds more functionality, or some major new form factor comes out, I don’t see a need to upgrade iPad, especially with the powerful pro models.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
My iPad History:
iPad (2010)
iPad 3rd-Gen (2012)
12.9" iPad Pro (2015)
9.7" iPad Pro (2016)
10.5" iPad Pro (2017)
12.9" iPad Pro (2018)

It has been yearly for the past four years, but I maxed out the storage (and therefore RAM) on my latest 2018 iPad Pro so that I can keep it for at least 3 years. It's just so damn good that I think (hope) it will be hard to sell me on a new one, especially given how expensive an investment they are now.

Reactions: Shirasaki and mikzn

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Had all iPads up until the air 2. Finally replaced that this week with the 12.9 and man this thing is incredible.

Reactions: mikzn

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don’t have a planned schedule, but I have owned the following:

1. iPad 3 - June 2012 to October 2015 - graduation gift and very casual use.
  2. iPad Air 2 - October 2015 to March 2016 - started using it for teaching and the lighter design and split screen were needed. Had been holding out for a small iPad with pencil support but was disappointed.
  3. iPad Pro 9.7” - March 2016 to June 2017 - had been waiting for a smaller iPad with pencil and bought it on day one. Sold my Air 2 for a good price.
  4. iPad Pro 10.5” - June 2017 to present - when Apple announced a larger screen on the smaller Pro and the new displays I couldn’t resist. Sold my older Pro.
Each iPad brought something I had been eagerly waiting for. I’m generally happy with my iPad Pro 10.5 so Apple will need to try harder to get me to upgrade.

But you can see I have no pattern:
  1. 3.25 years
  2. 6 months
  3. 1.25 years
  4. 2 years

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I upgrade when I save enough. I have the 1st gen iPP 12.9, saved a little each month, was finally able to get the 3rd gen 12.9 with 1TB day one with what I saved up. That's probably the plan I'll be sticking with.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I was looking at my Hardware Wishlist and the thing is, these things have gotten very expensive for the full package. The “iPad experience” used to be $499+tax and now they’re at $2k. While I can fortunately afford it, I cannot justify it if the marginal benefit is only slight. The jump from the iPad 10.5 to the 11” isn’t enough to me.

43896C53-0E0E-439A-B817-1183C9BF2062.jpeg

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I sell and upgrade my iPad Pro each time a new model comes out. Costs about $300 on average. As it's my main machine, I don't mind the cost.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I was looking at my Hardware Wishlist and the thing is, these things have gotten very expensive for the full package. The “iPad experience” used to be $499+tax and now they’re at $2k. While I can fortunately afford it, I cannot justify it if the marginal benefit is only slight. The jump from the iPad 10.5 to the 11” isn’t enough to me.

View attachment 845819
Bit of an unfair comparison. Even back in the day, storage, LTE and AppleCare+ ain't free.

$499 base
$200 64GB (x4 of base storage)
$130 cellular
$100 AppleCare
----------------------------------------
$929 TOTAL before tax

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
It's just so damn good that I think (hope) it will be hard to sell me on a new one, especially given how expensive an investment they are now.

extremely happy with my iPad pro 12.9 second gen 2018 - the screen is awesome - got way more storage 256g - than I need, when I look at my old ipad air the screen looks so tiny - lol

I can't think of any reason to upgrade - other than I have the touch sensitivity issue and am hoping for a software fix eventually, and from what I know, some of the newer models also have it.

This is the best & most useful iPad i have had yet, am using it more than my Macbook pro.

I am sure apple will keep evolving the iPad Pro's and if I did not have the iPad Pro 12.9 2018 - I would buy the new 12.9 Pro version but for now am very happy with the one i have. I like the small bezel and also the home button, but am sure if I had the newer version I would look back at this 2cd gen as clunky :)

Reactions: muzzy996

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I upgrade whenever there’s a noticeable hardware improvement (Like RAM for one) and somewhat of a redesign. iPad 2(first iPad), iPad Air(redesign+Retina display) and now the iPad Pro 10.5” (slimmer design+120Hz display+4GB of RAM)

While the 2018 was a total redesign with the bezels, everything else is about the same feature wise. Same speakers, same RAM, about the same screen quality etc.

Bit of an unfair comparison. Even back in the day, storage, LTE and AppleCare+ ain't free.
$499 base
$130 cellular
$100 AppleCare
$929 TOTAL before tax
Just wanted to quote you because I love how much your into manga. I need to get into it again. Always was more of an anime guy myself, but I know like 90% of the time the manga version is better.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

$499 base
$130 cellular
$100 AppleCare
$929 TOTAL before tax

This is true. I always bought the highest storage option available. It was closer to $800 (I’ve never bought cellular, but I want it now). The “mandatory” add-one are also a consideration because they are part of the “iPad experience” now. This will mark the 3rd Smart Keyboard I’ve purchased and the second Pencil. While I know they’re optional, it still gets a bit tiresome to buy a $150-$200 keyboard with each new iPad and I like having the complete package

I think the cost of storage is my biggest grip, though. Through the years we had (not all inclusive):

$499 - 16GB
$599 - 32GB
$699 - 64GB/128GB

9 years after the first iPad with the above pricing, the current 11” Pros are priced as follows without cellular:

$799 - 64GB
$949 - 256GB
$1149 - 512GB
$1,549 - 1TB

After 9 years, the cost of storage, while considerably more voluminous, should not require such an up charge. Even if you factor in $200 for the “Pro” line differentiation, the max cost of past generation max storage doesn’t even get you the base storage of the 2018 models. The face that I have to pay a $350 markup to get a mid-tier 512GB just annoys me. If the $150 markup went from 128GB to 512GB I guess I’d be more okay with it.

But those are just my priorities. I know many people are fine with the base storage.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
After 9 years, the cost of storage, while considerably more voluminous, should not require such an up charge. Even if you factor in $200 for the “Pro” line differentiation, the max cost of past generation max storage doesn’t even get you the base storage of the 2018 models. The face that I have to pay a $350 markup to get a mid-tier 512GB just annoys me. If the $150 markup went from 128GB to 512GB I guess I’d be more okay with it.

But those are just my priorities. I know many people are fine with the base storage.
Lol, I'm gunning for 1TB LTE so that pretty much more than doubles the cost of the base iPad. Kinda sucks that there are no good deals for cellular models that aren't tied to carrier. The eSIM module on iPads purchased from carriers may not function the same as those on unlocked models. On previous models, the Apple Embedded SIM is disabled on Verizon-purchased iPads and locked to AT&T on AT&T-purchased ones.

Upgrades would be a lot less expensive if I can be happy with base storage (or even 256GB) WiFi-only. Alas, to me, large storage+LTE is of greater benefit than having the latest model.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Lol, I'm gunning for 1TB LTE so that pretty much more than doubles the cost of the base iPad. Kinda sucks that there are no good deals for cellular models that aren't tied to carrier. The eSIM module on iPads purchased from carriers may not function the same as those on unlocked models. On previous models, the Apple Embedded SIM is disabled on Verizon-purchased iPads and locked to AT&T on AT&T-purchased ones.

Oh, thanks for heads up. I thought the Apple SIM made all iPads unlocked. You potentially saved me from a frustrating purchase. Figures that carriers do that *sigh*.

I’d like the 1TB, but that $400 bump from 512 though. :oops:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh, thanks for heads up. I thought the Apple SIM made all iPads unlocked. You potentially saved me from a frustrating purchase. Figures that carriers do that *sigh*.

I’d like the 1TB, but that $400 bump from 512 though. :oops:
As far as I can tell, the physical SIM card slot is unlocked on all iPads regardless of where it's purchased from. It's just the Apple Embedded SIM that gets restricted. I dunno if similar limitations apply to eSIM.

Yep, 1TB commands a hefty premium. Hence, I'm waiting for it to hit my price target. I'm pretty content with my current iPads so I'm fine with waiting for now.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
If each cycle has the same speed bump as last... every year.

Even if it doesn’t next cycle, I will upgrade if the shell is reinforced better.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I sell and upgrade my iPad Pro each time a new model comes out. Costs about $300 on average. As it's my main machine, I don't mind the cost.
Nice. So do you sell after the new model has been announced? $300 would be a lot on an $800 iPad, but on an $1800 (1tb 12.9 LTE) it doesn’t seem so bad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Nice. So do you sell after the new model has been announced? $300 would be a lot on an $800 iPad, but on an $1800 (1tb 12.9 LTE) it doesn’t seem so bad.
I think you're looking at $500 minimum depreciation hit on absolute top end.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I’ve been upgrading every 3-4 years and I don’t expect that to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.