Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
My current Mac is a 2013 Mac Pro.
4 core, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM.
Still does what I need nicely , so hoping to keep it for another year or so I expect.
All being well, it’ll probably eventually be replaced by an M4 Mac Mini or Studio depending on budget at the time.

Reactions: heretiq

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Curious given how powerful they are these days how often do you upgrade your Mac?

Every 3 years or so since my start with Apple in 2011. 13inMBA>13inMBP>13inMBA>MacMini>15inMBA (this month). I'm a tech adopter. Also on my 3rd Gen of Network Stuff, 5th Gen of NAS and 5th Gen of Media Streamer (started earlier than 2011), but only the 2nd Gen of iPhone (late adopter)

Boing123

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2024
Every 6 or 7 years, usually. My last upgrade was replacing my 2014 MacBook Pro with a 2021 MacBook Pro.

I also have a 2017 iMac that I use when I'm home... I'd have replaced it last year if the M3 iMac weren't so underwhelming. 😅
Same here: for how often people complain about the cost of Mac hardware, how many vendors do you know who’s plastic chassis devices actually last the same amount of time?

I only upgrade if there is a significant new design or some kind of game changing new capability like the astronomical battery life awarded by the M1 I am currently on.

Reactions: trusso

Souponastick270

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2016
Citadel Island
I’m still using my first Mac - a late 2012 iMac 21.5”

I run it from an external 2TB SSD via USB 3 and it runs well enough for my internet consumption needs

I’ve looked at upgrading to M1/M2 minis and a third party 4K monitor rather than going for an M series iMac as I want a larger display than 24” - and a better selection of ports for £1300…

EzisAA

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Riga, Latvia
Start in summer 2011, with MacBook Pro 13 (2011 early i5) and start upgrade parts - from 4GB to 8GB, 320 HDD to 500GB SSD, 8GB to 16GB. (sold in 2015)

Them in 2015 Retina MacBook Pro 13 (2015 early i5, 8GB, 256GB) (sold in 2019)

In 2017 get a iMac 5K (2017, i5, 8GB GPU, 8GB, 2TB Fusion drive) and upgrade from 8GB to 24GB. (sold in 2019)

2019, MacBook Pro 15 (2019 mid, i9, 4GB GPU, 16GB, 500GB) - the worst computer I've ever owned. (sold in 2021)

After MacBook Pro 15, I buy a MacBook Pro 13 (M1, 16GB, 500GB), this is apsolut legend, but I made mistake, when order 500GB. If I had order 2TB, maybe I will be still use this MacBook Pro. (sold in 2023)

This days - 2023 MacBook Pro 14 (M2 Pro 10c, 32GB, 2TB), so far I am happy, but if I have a chance I will be move to MacBook Pro 14 M3 Max - 14c, 96GB, 8TB.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
The 2014 5K iMac was the first computer I’ve ever owned that was a joy to use its entire functional life. Around the time macOS updates stopped for it was also when I started to notice it didn’t have the grunt to smoothly sail through all tasks thrown at it (the hunt for a replacement began in 2022).

The Apple Si transition was awkward, since they weren‘t telegraphing chips and models, and I briefly had an M1 Mac mini that was not up to the task for me.

I will contemplate replacing my M1Max MBPro when they offer a Mac Studio with Thunderbolt 5. I expect that to be next year. After which I expect to live much as with that iMac 5K: about 7 years before it’s replaced.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I've never really upgraded a Mac before.

First Mac was a Late 2008 unibody MacBook (2 core CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD) that i had from Oct 2008 to December 2012. I think Mountain Lion was going to be the last OS for it but I'd have kept using it well into 2013 but it crapped out on me. Tried a MacBook Air but had issues with it. Tried an iMac but wasn't happy with it.

I didn't buy another Mac until last month which is the 15" M3 Air.

TL;DR: I will use any device for as long as it's working, supported and suits my needs. I'd have happily kept my OG MacBook for 5 years but it died and wasn't worth spending money to repair. I'll be keeping my M3 Air for 4 years at least. I'm paying for AC+ annually so I guess I'll keep it as long as Apple is able and willing to support it both software wise through macOS and repair/replacement through AC+ with reasonable excess cost. If I feel like it's struggling with what I need it to do before Apple drops support then I'll upgrade to something new.

Super TL;DR: 4-5 years probably but maybe more if I can.

Reactions: jchap

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I’ve generally aimed for 3 years, but the last couple have ended up lasting more like 5-7. The first of those was because the upgrades I would have found worth the price weren’t available, the current one because of a (hopefully temporary) cash crunch. Based on those learnings, I’ll probably start buying for a 5-year replacement cycle.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It really depends on how they perform and what's on offer from Apple. The main drivers for me are new designs, or a Mac just eventually not being able to keep up with the OS and other software and starting to lag.

I kept a 2014 iMac 5K i5 for about 5 years before it started really lagging. I think if it had been one of the faster models I might have gotten another year or two out of it, but by the end it was not keeping up well.

I nursed along an old 11" MacBook Air for probably 5-6 years because at the time Apple was only selling laptops with butterfly keyboards. That got painful toward the end, mainly because the non-retina display looked like crap next to the iMac's screen.

The replacement for that Air was a 2020 Intel i5 Air, but I only kept that like 1 year because it was so dramatically outclassed by the M1 Air that came out immediately after. I've now had the M1 Air for ~3 years and it's still performing great for what I need it for. But if an ultra-compact MacBook (like that old Retina MacBook) came out I'd probably buy that immediately. Barring that, I expect 1-2 more years out of the M1 Air before I succumb to an M3 or M4.

I've had my M1 iMac for about 3 years now and it's also still performing really well. I think I'd get only a marginal benefit out of the M3 version. I could see keeping it another couple years, but on the other hand if a larger screen iMac came out I'd buy it immediately.

Last edited:

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
mac Mini M1 closing in on 4 years - so sweet a little desktop :)

Either upgrade to M3 this year, or spend budget on a 34" ultrawide monitor.

vicviper789

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
I only update when I can't install new software. I just updated my 2009 MacBook pro to a Microsoft surface laptop and haven't looked back.

Reactions: Chuckeee

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Used my 2012 Air until 2020 but it was largely driven by the switch to Apple Silicon and the hinge giving out, it was still functional just either fully open or fully closed. Plan to keep this one until it either dies or it no longer fits my needs. I’ll probably buy used when the time comes. I can see myself using this for at least 4 more years. I aim to buy lightly used because it’s a MUCH better deal if you want something beefier from the previous year. I do 3D and CAD but can’t justify the cost for new latest gen. With Macs you can find last gen, used for less than a year and mostly docked so the battery is doing really well, for a really good price compared to new. Just check for MDM and all that. Macs mostly stay at home so used ones are usually very good cosmetically too. I’m always on the lookout for a deal like that and the moment I find one I can justify, I’ll sell this one and grab a better model.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I might not be typical since I still use a PowerBook 170, along with a 12-inch G4 AlBook and G4 sunflower iMac. And a Classic II. They're tools and as long as they do the job they don't need replacing.

I did recently 'replace' my M1 MBA with an M3 model, but that was because I needed a larger screen as I'm getting older. The reality is that with the hardware landscape as it has been the last few yers, I can't see any real need to upgrade for more power. Pretty much what I need can be run happily on something like a 2015-17 Intel... possibly older, so I only replace my systems when I need something specifically the old one can't do.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I tend to buy the best spec possible and then try to hold off upgrading for as long as I can - typically about 7 years between each major purchase recently. I'm hoping that the lack of TB5 on the 2023 MBPs doesn't force me to upgrade sooner when an XDR2 comes out next year...

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I can't think back far enough to figure out the exact years I did upgrades, but starting from high school....

Dad built my brother and I an Ohio Scientific Superboard II computer, 12 year ago my brother resurrected it; amazingly the only thing that was bad was a single memory chip. If anyone is interested in what he was doing you can click on the link below; my brother is kind of a maniac....lol. I had a very minor roll helping in the below video. (mainly I drove it to Chicago and supplied a usable display device.)

Using Python 3 to Build a Cloud Computing Service for my Superboard II

From that we had Apple II, I think a IIe. I broke from the motherland my senior year of high school and bought an Amiga 1000, eventually then a Amiga 2000; sure wish I still had the Amiga 1000, oh well.

Next was the Blue and White G3; which I eventually upgraded to a G4 and Radeon graphics; and whopping 1 GB of RAM; which I still have and still works. Eventually I am going to turn it into an open air steampunk looking thing.

Next up was a Power Mac G5, which I think the only upgrades I ever did was GPUs. During the switch to Intel, Apple really did not offer much more than what the PowerMac G5 was; so I limped with that until the buzz of Apple's new tower which was going to be the 6,1 trashcan. Well we all know how that ended up. The concept was cool, but the machine was quickly outpaced by competing Windows boxes....so....

Next was a partial split from the motherland which was my Hackintosh; which honestly once it was working well was the best machine and Mac I had worked on. And it was even better once I shelled out for nVidia GeForce 1080ti. That machine was just clobbering everything that Apple had at the time. No contest.

Then Apple released the 7,1 and I was like, I want one....lol. Really the only reason I was able to afford it was I received some fairly nice Christmas gifts. I also saved a bit using the Military Discount Apple Store. Currently I would have to say the Mac Pro 7,1 is the nicest computer I've ever owned. Super easy to open, work on, add cards, RAM, etc etc. I will use this until it is not supported or Apple releases an Apple Silicon version that is worthy; although there is also a good chance I will go to a Studio. Just have to wait and see.

Any laptops that I have used or owned have all been work purchases; although I briefly remember buying a 12" PowerBook at one point; it was ok but not earth shattering good.

I am impressed with the M3 Max laptop. But overall I am not pleased with how Apple is handling the current Mac Pro; they really need to find a way to do upgradeable RAM, storage and GPU processing. I am very disappointed that Apple has not released at the bare minimum drivers for AMDs latest batch of GPUs. The 7,1 was an enormous spend and I feel like Apple has basically stabbed everyone in the back who bought one.

Apple may never again have a "workstation" expandeable like machine. It is almost as if they didn't learn from the 6,1.

Reactions: Chuckeee

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
No set duration, mainly just when there is a meaningful upgrade. That means bare minimum a new form factor, sometimes a completely new architecture. So I would guess every 4-5 years or so.

One thing worth mentioning is that I must have owned 10 Apple notebooks now, and not one of them has died on me yet (yes I'm touching wood as I type!) So there has always been some kind of resale value of my old one when I upgrade.

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
My focus is resale value. I find somewhere around 3 years is about the sweet spot before the value drops dramatically. My general math is to try and get the base MBP for a decent deal (20-30% off MSRP), then sell a few years later. A normal transaction would be the base 16" MBP for $2k, then selling 3 years later for ~$1k. I'm never upgrading b/c I need anything better, that's just how it's worked out for the past few years. I really like the bigger and brighter screen of the new MBP's.

Reactions: G5isAlive

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
5 years professional use + 3 years backup, home use for my MBP. Only exception was getting rid of 2019 MBP with M1 Max MBP16. Probably upgrade my MBP M( Max, hopefully with 256 GB RAM support.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Curious given how powerful they are these days how often do you upgrade your Mac?
5-7 years. But 2024 folks who think anything near base RAM is appropriate (there have been many here) should plan for shorter life cycles.

RAM is perhaps the best way to compute (especially with Apple's Unified Memory Architecture), so if one is buying a box to compute with cheaping out on RAM is wrong-headed thinking.

Reactions: mauAtzori

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
5-7 years. But 2024 folks who think anything near base RAM is appropriate (there have been many here) should plan for shorter life cycles.

RAM is perhaps the best way to compute (especially with Apple's Unified Memory Architecture), so if one is buying a box to compute with cheaping out on RAM is wrong-headed thinking.
I'm pleased that my 2021 8Gb system will be good then since it predates your 'inappropriate', but no, not planning on a shorter life cycle anyway. Still using 4Gb systems... not to mention a 2Gb MBP and 1Gb (might be 1.5 actually) PowerBook.

I must not compute. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
It used to be every year.

Now it is looking like 3 years as the M1 Max is still good but will be looking at the M4 when it comes out [March 2025....?].

Reactions: G5isAlive and K two

thmsnt

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2023
Typing this from my new 2023 M3 Pro MBP.

This replaced a 2020 Intel MBP which I kept for about 3.5 years.

I plan to keep this machine until at least 2029.

Reactions: jchap and throAU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.