Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuickSilverLining

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2022
Growing up with my family we tended to keep computers for a good while... We used our 2001 iMac G3 for about 6 years as the main computer (and maybe another 2 as a side computer) before getting a first gen Mac mini. We used that poor thing endlessly until about 2013 (8 years) before getting a 2008 Mac Pro. That died within 5 years (the RAM modules all stopped working). So far my parents have had their 2013 iMac for 5 years but that thing is having issues as well, and they're ready to jump ship. The latter two were second-hand purchases as well.

My grandmother is still using her 2012 Mac mini, and I did an SSD upgrade for her and it is still running strong.

Personally, my (used) '08 MacBook (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo) I used for about 4 years starting in ~2010, then upgraded to a (used) 2010 plastic unibody MacBook and used that for 7 years. Then I had a (used) mid 2012 MBP (the last one with the SuperDrive) although that thing had logic board issues and I can't get it to boot any more, used that for exactly 2 years. Now I'm on my very first brand new machine (M1 MBP 16") that I've had for 2 years now and hope to keep for the next 7 years. 😂

Last edited:

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Interesting question as I used to upgrade my computers about on average every two to three years until I got my 2015 laptops. I have been using them for about 5 years upgrading from my 2013 laptops before these. At this point I have no need to be upgrading from the 2015 laptops I'm currently using (see signature) as they each perform tasking assigned to them to my satisfaction and I have MacOS 14.4.1 installed and running on them.

I am not in need of cutting edge performance and don't have the desire to spend the amount Apple currently expects consumers to spend. The one thing I do like with the older 2015 laptops is that I can still change out the size of my storage drive as my needs change. With Apple's current laptops you need to keep this in mind before purchasing them unless you want to use external storage. Myself, I prefer not to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.