Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
1. Have a desk setup that you describe as "Minimalist" - this may include a Mechanical Keyboard, a monitor with a VESA Arm and LED Light strips attached to the back, a MacBook on a stand, and a fake "zen" plant from IKEA off to the side.

2. Use this setup as background for the camera that's focused on you. But since you are SO artistic and creative like everyone else, create as shallow depth-of-field as possible so you get MAXIMUM bokeh! Also, while taking shots of the product you are reviewing, everyone knows that photos where you zoom in and maximize bokeh are the best and only ways to take photos of products. They take a ton of skill.

3. Have some sort of techno-electronic dance music intro with vocals that sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Here's a Reference

4. Parrot out information that is widely available on MacRumors, The Verge, and Reddit. Do not add anything novel to the conversation. Just repeat nearly word-for-word what those articles are stating MIGHT be released, or what the specifications of a machine are AFTER release, or communicate opinions and findings that have already been shared in communities as if you are some skilled researcher.

5. For the thumbnail photo, hold up whatever piece of equipment you are talking about to the camera and make an obscenely stupid, childish facial expression.

6. For the title, go way over the top for views. For example, if your review of the MacBook Pro is generally positive, you might be able to title it "My Two Weeks with the INCREDIBLE MacBook Pro BLEW MY MIND!". If the review of the MacBook Pro is generally negative, you might be able to title it "Apple is DOOMED! The MacBook Pro is so Bad that I now HATE Apple!"

7. At the end of the video, ask the audience who had the privilege watching your 7 minute, 22 second video of regurgitated info to like, share, and subscribe.

8. End the video with previously stated techno-electronic dance music.

Does anyone miss the older days of Youtube where not everything was so homogenized and tacky? It inevitably happens to every platform and industry, but I do miss those days.

Last edited:

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
1. Have a desk setup that you describe as "Minimalist" - this may include a Mechanical Keyboard, a monitor with a VESA Arm and LED Light strips attached to the back, a MacBook on a stand, and a fake "zen" plant from IKEA off to the side.

2. Use this setup as background for the camera that's focused on you. But since you are SO artistic and creative like everyone else, create as shallow depth-of-field as possible so you get MAXIMUM bokeh! Also, while taking shots of the product you are reviewing, everyone knows that photos where you zoom in and maximize bokeh are the best and only ways to take photos of products. They take a ton of skill.

3. Have some sort of techno-electronic dance music intro with vocals that sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Here's a Reference

4. Parrot out information that is widely available on MacRumors, The Verge, and Reddit. Do not add anything novel to the conversation. Just repeat nearly word-for-word what those articles are stating MIGHT be released, or what the specifications of a machine are AFTER release, or communicate opinions and findings that have already been shared in communities as if you are some skilled researcher.

5. For the thumbnail photo, hold up whatever piece of equipment you are talking about to the camera and make an obscenely stupid, childish facial expression.

6. For the title, go way over the top for views. For example, if your review of the MacBook Pro is generally positive, you might be able to title it "My Two Weeks with the INCREDIBLE MacBook Pro BLEW MY MIND!". If the review of the MacBook Pro is generally negative, you might be able to title it "Apple is DOOMED! The MacBook Pro is so Bad that I now HATE Apple!"

7. At the end of the video, ask the audience who had the privilege watching your 7 minute, 22 second video of regurgitated info to like, share, and subscribe.

Does anyone miss the older days of Youtube where not everything was so homogenized and tacky? It inevitably happens to every platform and industry, but I do miss those days.
I mean if it’s that easy. I’m sure you could start a channel and cash in on the money they make?

Reactions: Pilot Jones

MatR

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
In my experience making videos for YouTube I have learned that a good speech and a quality video is very important for the audience: 1. Have a dynamic story, regardless of the subject of your videos they have to be clear and provide relevant information for the viewers . 2. Give good video quality and fast download time for optimal function on YouTube, for this task I use "Video Compress" which you can download from store.

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
Ha…and you forgot to have a few “remember to subscribe!” comments along the way ?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
your 7 minute, 22 second video
They’re all a couple seconds over 10 minutes since that’s the cutoff for monetization (or at least it used to be). Seriously, if you ever open a video and it’s only just longer than 10 mins, I guarantee it will contain nothing of value.

Reactions: EddieKeyton1

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
They’re all a couple seconds over 10 minutes since that’s the cutoff for monetization (or at least it used to be). Seriously, if you ever open a video and it’s only just longer than 10 mins, I guarantee it will contain nothing of value.
how about, if it contains kitten playing with fluffy things?

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
Don't be sour, young lad, almost everything is junk nowadays. Music, TV, internet, news, toys, people. You need to learn to only choose the once you like. Life is like a big supermarket full of sh*te, that is why we make shopping list before we go there. Sometimes we buy something spontaneously, but other than that, go with the list :)
otherwise you will lose your marbles, running through the town in undies, singing Britney Spears.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Sowhatwhocarefivecentsworthofrthatcraptothepoiuntofstartingawhiningthreadonatechforum?

Or in short, grow your own filter, ignore those that should be ignored and accept that those worth watching still have to tick certain boxes to "beat the algorithm" to get the views and income.

rub3n

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Well not anymore. The cutoff is 8 minutes at he moment.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US

I watched two videos on the Dell XPS 15 yesterday, and they followed this script almost exactly haha. I think, like Hollywood proves regularly, that there are few truly new ideas anymore.

hello(again)

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Aurora, CO

-- this one absolutely annoys the crap out of me, and I immediately click "not interested" on every thumbnail like this that I see. It's a competition of who can look the most idiotic.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
So is the blah-blah-blah good, well I will tell you after I tell you about today and every other day, week, month's sponsor SomeRandomVPN, get 10% off today and for the rest of time by using my link which totally doesn't pay me instead, that's somerandomvpn.net/lttsomerandomtechchannel.

Would you also like a free T-Shirt?

stinkdieren

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
Amsterdam
Paste this text in every tube star video .. lol
I had to wait 1 month for my 16' max, meanwhile I was watching every "apple max pro" vid available.. Everyone (including me) considers them selfs a creator, then shows off how powerful the Mac is by fiddling with some downloaded content and stack them on top of each other.. EVERY VIDEO.. thank god it passed the time and my Macbook is in, NO MORE VIDS PLEASE

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Spot on, speaking of which, what's your favorite tech youtuber?

In the early Youtube days, it was of course Lockergnome. He would throw out such controversial opinions and videos and I remember his comment section used to be full of really good debates. He was one of the few that when the first iPhone dropped in 2007 was 100% gung-ho on it and said it was going to revolutionize the entire world and had so many haters for that.

Then I took a break from Youtube when I went to college. Came back after graduation in 2016 to be introduced to pretty much the same meme known as Youtube Tech I posted about that's been going on since then.

I'm a little afraid to say this here, but Linus Tech Tips honestly is probably the best combination of actually researching their own findings and running their own tests, actual knowledge of tech that isn't just skin deep, and still making their videos watchable and not super dry and boring. Their videos are hit or miss, but when they do hit they have the best content. But I can acknowledge how annoyingly opinionated they can be sometimes, they like to stir up drama for views, and their thumbnails and titles are the worst.

Honestly, I mostly just read forums and tech sites that vary in technicality - The Verge, Engadget, MacRumors, Arstechnica, Anandtech, Notebookreview (you'll find I have the same username over there) are all sites I frequent for the latest tech news.

Who are your favorite youtubers and sites? Any recommendations?

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020

Only flaw, there's no youtuber out there who would let a 7:22 video out. Gotta pad it to 10:01 with long sponsor segments so you can add mid-roll ads and monitize the hell out of it (though maybe soon it'll be 8:01, I see some commenters here saying the new cutoff for more ads is 8 minutes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.