Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Oh my god the last video of John Prosser, just using the show to repeat the same news about the SE 3 we already know for months!! Just publishing a video for the sake of it. No new info.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
1. Have a desk setup that you describe as "Minimalist" - this may include a Mechanical Keyboard, a monitor with a VESA Arm and LED Light strips attached to the back, a MacBook on a stand, and a fake "zen" plant from IKEA off to the side.

2. Use this setup as background for the camera that's focused on you. But since you are SO artistic and creative like everyone else, create as shallow depth-of-field as possible so you get MAXIMUM bokeh! Also, while taking shots of the product you are reviewing, everyone knows that photos where you zoom in and maximize bokeh are the best and only ways to take photos of products. They take a ton of skill.

3. Have some sort of techno-electronic dance music intro with vocals that sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Here's a Reference

4. Parrot out information that is widely available on MacRumors, The Verge, and Reddit. Do not add anything novel to the conversation. Just repeat nearly word-for-word what those articles are stating MIGHT be released, or what the specifications of a machine are AFTER release, or communicate opinions and findings that have already been shared in communities as if you are some skilled researcher.

5. For the thumbnail photo, hold up whatever piece of equipment you are talking about to the camera and make an obscenely stupid, childish facial expression.

6. For the title, go way over the top for views. For example, if your review of the MacBook Pro is generally positive, you might be able to title it "My Two Weeks with the INCREDIBLE MacBook Pro BLEW MY MIND!". If the review of the MacBook Pro is generally negative, you might be able to title it "Apple is DOOMED! The MacBook Pro is so Bad that I now HATE Apple!"

7. At the end of the video, ask the audience who had the privilege watching your 7 minute, 22 second video of regurgitated info to like, share, and subscribe.

8. End the video with previously stated techno-electronic dance music.

Does anyone miss the older days of Youtube where not everything was so homogenized and tacky? It inevitably happens to every platform and industry, but I do miss those days.
Not gonna lie, some time ago I considered opening a YT channel because I consider myself better informed that most blogs from my country. However, on the YouTube side, there are already some pretty good channels. After seeing how crowded the YouTube technosphere was, I just didn’t do it. Well, I didn’t because I don’t want to send my ID Card to Google in order to monetize my videos, but on top of that, it is very crowded, lots of channels doing basically the same.

Also, I couldn’t do deep analysis like the guys from AnandTech do, because they have the tools and knowledge I lack. All I can do is make exhaustive benchmarks, that’s all. For something like digging into a litography, and guessing about the hardware video decoders (for instnace), only really qualified technicians with qualified gear can do it.

I wanted to make myself a passive income source, and I am passionate and good about consumer technology, but I think I am a bit late to the party.

Last edited:

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I wanted to make myself a passive income source, and I am passionate and good about consumer technology, but I think I am a bit late to the party.
I would not call YouTube a passive income source. It's definitely a hustle, but one where you definitely need to hustle if you want any worthwhile return. These guys know they're releasing lazy, redundant, no-value content, but they enormous pressure to release something lest the algorithm decide someone else is more interesting to the people that normally watch their videos. Hats off to LTT and others that have really invested in true content creation rather than reporting the same D-level news again or doing the "I bought 3 2010 MacBook Pros that were swallowed and farted out by a whale. Can I fix them?" routine

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020

Nah, “late to the party” shouldn’t stop you. That’s basically never true. What is true though: You need something different, some personality etc. And you need to commit to 100 videos at least. I would say: Go for it. You will never find out if you don’t give it a try.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.