Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
Well, it actually means you're booted with EFI for some reason. You could try entering the
"convert /mbr" command after "clean".

RetroDan

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2015
Michigan
Well, glad it helped but I doubt that switching between mac & Windows will work without a boot screen...
That's where rEFInd comes into play. You can hold W to boot into Windows or X to boot into macOS
[doublepost=1559655960][/doublepost]Got into Windows, installed the imacpro Bootcamp, restarted, and now it resets during windows boot.

RetroDan

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2015
Michigan
Sigh. Deleted that windows install, tried again, and now what worked before isn't working. I get an error code in windows install, even if I convert to mbr...

EDIT: Okay, I'm working on it slowly. I removed all HDDs aside from the one I wanted to install on, cleared and converted them. Windows is reinstalling now.

EDIT2: Is this line correct?

Now we need newer BootCamp drivers intended for iMacPro1,1:

When finished, it will create a folder BootCamp-041-55643, you need to run this command:

msiexec /i BootCamp-031-11269\Bootcamp5\Bootcamp\Drivers\Apple\bootcamp.msi

This command points at the MacPro5,1 BootCamp. So why did we download the iMacPro1,1 BootCamp? In addition, this file structure is wrong - there isn't any 'Bootcamp5' folder, or am I missing something?

EDIT3: FINALLY. I finally have a native windows install. It only fixed the reboot loop when I removed my GT120 for some reason. But now I have a proper legacy install after much headache inducing stress.

Last edited:

andysa1966

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
United Kingdom
First post, thanks to all contributors, especially h9826790, Speedstar and Auggie posts. On second attempt I managed to install windows 10pro on a dedicated SSD switching without issue to and from Mojave.

I bought a cMP a couple of weeks ago and set about to transfer windows 10 from my struggling origonal XP atom netbook. My only other mac is a G4MDD, its been a while, i use windows laptop for work. I want windows for EfiLive scan & tune software, and games.

First attempt something went wrong, i tried inserting and upgrading using the HDD from the netbook doing a fresh install but on to a seperate SSD, everything i thought went well until i reinserted and booted from the Mojave SSD, when I restarted after choosing the Bootcamp in startup drive, i got a "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" screen. I think the formating went wrong on the SSD there was only one partition after selecting new, no system reserved, and the HDD now has two W10 options when booted.

Started again from scratch

1. Updated Mojave bootrom to 144.0.0.0.0 from 140.0.0.0.0 on SSD, sled 1
2. Formatted the target SSD to FAT32 MBR via Disk Utility, sled 2.
3. Loaded Win10 Install DVD into optical drive, downloaded the latest version 1809
3. Shut down and removed Mojave SSD
4. Restarted from the Win10 install DVD, this time reformating the drive, selecting new included a reserve partition
5. Let window update process complete
6. Followed h9826790 how to with the following exceptions
7. After step 22¬23, I deleted "bootcamp5" as i recieved a windows 7 required error, I downloaded Apple's Boot Camp 64-bit Drivers 5.1.5621 for 2010/2012 Mac Pro, uncompressed it onto the flash drive and renamed its root folder to "bootcamp51",
8. Before step 24, I deleted the file c:/windows/system32/drivers AppleHFS.sys to prevent the BSOD when accessing HFS+ drives.
9. Continued 24¬30
10. Reinserted Mojave SSD and restarted
11. In windows, in bootcamp selected restart in mac os
12. Success, selected restart windows boot camp in startup up
13. Success
14. Contacted microsoft support and let them activate Windows 10 on cMP, then deactivate the net book.

Last edited:

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I've searched the thread for "insert a disk" and found others with the issue of not being able to easily get back from HS/Mojave to Win 10 installed on an MBR partitioned drive in a drive bay. I can use startup disk from windows to reboot back into MacOS, but selecting my win 10 drive from HS/Mojave and restarting results in the No boot device, insert a disk.

Is there a fix to make the MacOS Startup Disk selection work, or is the only solution to use one of the boot loaders?

I do have a boot screen capable card, so I can use Option boot to get back to windows. That is what confuses me... the boot rom can properly select a windows boot volume, but the startup disk panel cant.

Also, when using Startup disk from Windows, the Windows drive shows as "Basic data..." (something like that) and my 2 MacOS volumes are indistinguishable. Is this just an ugly cosmetic thing that cant be worked around?

Krueger

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I've searched the thread for "insert a disk" and found others with the issue of not being able to easily get back from HS/Mojave to Win 10 installed on an MBR partitioned drive in a drive bay. I can use startup disk from windows to reboot back into MacOS, but selecting my win 10 drive from HS/Mojave and restarting results in the No boot device, insert a disk.

Is there a fix to make the MacOS Startup Disk selection work, or is the only solution to use one of the boot loaders?

I do have a boot screen capable card, so I can use Option boot to get back to windows. That is what confuses me... the boot rom can properly select a windows boot volume, but the startup disk panel cant.

Also, when using Startup disk from Windows, the Windows drive shows as "Basic data..." (something like that) and my 2 MacOS volumes are indistinguishable. Is this just an ugly cosmetic thing that cant be worked around?

I think you got the "no boot device, insert a disk" message because you got your Amfeltec Squid - 970 Pro NVMe in.
Shut down your mac when you got this "no boot device, insert a disk" message again remove your Amfeltec Squid pci-e card and I think it will boot just fine. If it does you will know for sure it is your pci card that caused the issue.
I had the same issue with my HyperX pci card.
I coud boot normally back and fort between Mojave, HS and Win10 when they were installed on regular ssd-s but I wanted Mojave boot from my faster pci card
so I gave up on windows...at last until I know for sure there is an nvme adapter that works with windows on board.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I think you got the "no boot device, insert a disk" message because you got your Amfeltec Squid - 970 Pro NVMe in.
Shut down your mac when you got this "no boot device, insert a disk" message again remove your Amfeltec Squid pci-e card and I think it will boot just fine. If it does you will know for sure it is your pci card that caused the issue.
I had the same issue with my HyperX pci card.
I coud boot normally back and fort between Mojave, HS and Win10 when they were installed on regular ssd-s but I wanted Mojave boot from my faster pci card
so I gave up on windows...at last until I know for sure there is an nvme adapter that works with windows on board.

If that is the case, I'll have to stick with option booting for now.

It booted fine to Win 10 while the NVME blade was in the system, it wasn't until I changed the boot drive to Mojave, and then tried to go back that it wouldn't select the windows boot volume properly again.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
It was something about being unable to create a partition.

I found a tutorial on how to bypass the version check in BCA so I’m in the middle of trying that.
[doublepost=1559550638][/doublepost]Well, BCA only wants to install to my macOS boot drive, so I tried booting from the BD-R again.

The message is "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.". It's the same whether the drive is unallocated space or if it has the single partition.

(also I can’t see your sig for some reason)
I ended up just using BCA. Has anyone successfully installed using a 1903 disc using the guide in this thread? Curious if it was only me having problems.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Well, I just had a big duhhhhh moment. Even though I installed Win10 from DVD, I still got a GPT (and UEFI) install of Windows 10. I think it was from deleting all the partitions and then creating a new partition while in the Windows 10 installer rather than just choosing the FAT32 partition that I had created in Disk Utility.

At least that is my theory... going to reinstall win10 now and see if I can get a MBR install... and fix the Startup Disk issue from MacOS that led to the "no boot device" message.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Well that was a much bigger pain in the ass than I expected. Booting from the Windows 10 DVD to install onto an MBR partitioned disk on the Mac Pro didn't work. I had to option boot the Mac and select the "Windows" partition on the DVD instead of EFI. If I selected EFI, it refuses to install on an MBR disk with an error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

And just to make things that much more difficult, it won't boot from the Windows partition on the DVD if you have it in an external DVD drive. It just gives a "No boot device" if you do that. It HAD to be in the internal DVD drive for it to boot from the Windows partition on the DVD and install to the MBR disk. It also took forever to boot that way... probably 15 minutes. I did also fall back to my GT120 card to do the initial install. For whatever reason, my MVC flashed Titan refused to show the option boot menu and would instead go directly into booting from the EFI partition on the DVD. I did yank the GT120 and replace it with the Titan as soon as the initial install was done to avoid the problem where Windows tries to install a nVidia 9500 driver that will just hang the system.

The upside is that after the Bootcamp 6.1 drivers were installed, it did let me select the windows partition in the Bootcamp startup disk control panel and it successfully rebooted into windows, which it wouldn't before. I have high hopes that after putting my MacOS boot volume back in, it will let me select the windows volume from there and work too.

I just hope whatever secure boot certs were likely shoved into rom won't cause me problems later.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I just hope whatever secure boot certs were likely shoved into rom won't cause me problems later.

You could always binwalk your bootROM to see if you have those pesky certificates. Apparently, it's not all UEFI Windows installations that cause them.

Reactions: Woof Woof

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
You could always binwalk your bootROM to see if you have those pesky certificates. Apparently, it's not all UEFI Windows installations that cause them.

I was going to ask in the bootrom thread about where to get binwalk and how to check... I'll look for a post that describes how. I made a backup of the ROM, but unfortunately it was after installing Win 10 in UEFI mode.

Edit: Yes, there were 2 certificates in the ROM. For now, I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited:

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I just reinstalled the same way and now I'm worried uh oh. I need to remember how to do the bootrom dump thing too- if you get the info, please post it here too :D

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I just reinstalled the same way and now I'm worried uh oh. I need to remember how to do the bootrom dump thing too- if you get the info, please post it here too :D

The romtool is on http://dosdude1.com/apps/ as ROMTool.zip. The password to unzip it is "rom". When your browser downloads it, it will fail, but manually selecting to open it should request the password.

Disable SIP first before running the tool.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I can't remember if you have to disable SIP...

ROMTool just needs SIP disabled and nothing else to dump a Mac Pro BootROM. Firmware Programming Mode is only needed when you gonna flash the BootROM.

Last edited:

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I know I dumped mine a long time ago and it was fine- I'm still on an old bootloader though (technically vulnerable to spectre and the like) but I'm always just worried to push it when everything is working fine for me

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
I installed a non-bootscreen card, but now I’m stuck in Windows because the Boot Camp control panel is whining about permissions when I try to select my boot drive.

edit: I think it’s because I skipped installing BC6, downloading now.

Last edited:

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I installed a non-bootscreen card, but now I’m stuck in Windows because the Boot Camp control panel is whining about permissions when I try to select my boot drive.

edit: I think it’s because I skipped installing BC6, downloading now.

Strangely, even with the BC 6.1 drivers, I had the startup disk panel give me permissions errors once. Just tried it a second time and it worked.

Also upgraded windows to 1903. No errors encountered, but from what I gather, that only happens if the BC 5.1 software was installed.

On this last install, I only installed BC 6.1 and the Realtek sound drivers from 5.1 (both pulled with Brigadier) and the latest graphics drivers downloaded direct from the mfg. Everything else is the base Win 10 stuff. Well, there is the TB3 card driver too. I think it is what causes sleep issues.

100D

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
Hello,
I have MacPro 4.1(flashed to 5.1) 2x e5520, rx580, m.2 pcie ssd (shpm2280p2h/480g where installed Mojave os), SATA SSD for Windows.

Problem is when I try to install Windows 10 1903 legacy mode (while using hd4870 to boot screen) in sata ssd by following instructions (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-boot-camp-without-a-boot-screen.2114788/page-9) and inputing m.2 pcie ssd Windows won't boot (stuck in apple logo).

When I installed Windows in legacy mode without boot camp program and installed ssd m.2 pcie - windows starting normal, but then I can't choose to boot Mojave.

Where problem can be?

Sorry for bad english :)

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Hello,
I have MacPro 4.1(flashed to 5.1) 2x e5520, rx580, m.2 pcie ssd (shpm2280p2h/480g where installed Mojave os), SATA SSD for Windows.

Problem is when I try to install Windows 10 1903 legacy mode (while using hd4870 to boot screen) in sata ssd by following instructions (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-boot-camp-without-a-boot-screen.2114788/page-9) and inputing m.2 pcie ssd Windows won't boot (stuck in apple logo).

When I installed Windows in legacy mode without boot camp program and installed ssd m.2 pcie - windows starting normal, but then I can't choose to boot Mojave.

Where problem can be?

Sorry for bad english :)

Some things I encountered last time installing:

I did not use the bootcamp utility at all on mine.

I formatted the drive I planned to use for Windows as MBR partition style with a FAT32 partition using "Erase" in disk utility. It should be a drive connected to one of the internal SATA 2 ports.

The Windows installer frequently fails to start up if there is a PCIE ssd card installed. It is best to remove all other drives except the drive you will install windows on.

Did you burn Windows 10 1903 to a DVD and boot from that? I found that the only way I could install Windows 10 1903 in legacy mode was to have the install DVD in the internal DVD drive, and not an external. Then option boot the computer and select the Windows partition on the DVD drive (It should show both Windows and EFI).

Then in the Windows 10 installer, select custom install, and it should install in legacy mode, converting the FAT32 volume to NTFS.

Despite some messages stating that installing from DVD is the only way to get a legacy install, I found that if you boot from the DVD and select EFI at the option boot screen, it will still install in EFI mode instead of legacy.

After installing, I only installed the realtek audio drivers from bootcamp 5.1, and the whole Bootcamp 6,1 set of drivers. Both downloaded with Brigadier.

After windows is installed, and you have tested it a bit... installing all the updates and installing whichever video card drivers you need, then you can put the Mac volumes back in.

100D

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
Some things I encountered last time installing:

I did not use the bootcamp utility at all on mine.

I formatted the drive I planned to use for Windows as MBR partition style with a FAT32 partition using "Erase" in disk utility. It should be a drive connected to one of the internal SATA 2 ports.

The Windows installer frequently fails to start up if there is a PCIE ssd card installed. It is best to remove all other drives except the drive you will install windows on.

Did you burn Windows 10 1903 to a DVD and boot from that? I found that the only way I could install Windows 10 1903 in legacy mode was to have the install DVD in the internal DVD drive, and not an external. Then option boot the computer and select the Windows partition on the DVD drive (It should show both Windows and EFI).

Then in the Windows 10 installer, select custom install, and it should install in legacy mode, converting the FAT32 volume to NTFS.

Despite some messages stating that installing from DVD is the only way to get a legacy install, I found that if you boot from the DVD and select EFI at the option boot screen, it will still install in EFI mode instead of legacy.

After installing, I only installed the realtek audio drivers from bootcamp 5.1, and the whole Bootcamp 6,1 set of drivers. Both downloaded with Brigadier.

After windows is installed, and you have tested it a bit... installing all the updates and installing whichever video card drivers you need, then you can put the Mac volumes back in.

Yes, when I installing Windows, I removed Pcie SSD.

Windows I installing in legacy mode (booting from Windows, nori from efi) from DVD. SSD sata disk cleaned in Windows cmd diskpartition (in Windows startup, shift + F10). cleaned ant converted SSD in mbr and I dont use any format (fat and ntfs. Just left emty SSD).

Bootcamp 5.1 and 6.1 downloaded with Brigadier. And installed fully bootcamp 5.1 (disable automatic start up boot camp, for Windows desktop crash) and removed. Then fully installed boot camp 6.1 (and enable automatic start up boot camp) and then update manualy all drivers. Then insert Pcie SSD and stuck in Apple logo when booting Windows.

I try only install boot camp 5.1 (just disable automatic start up, for desktop crash) and insert Pcie SSD. Windows boot without ant crash (just normaly). Then unistall boot camp 5.1 (just left install drivers) and install boot camp 6.1. Windows charsh on Apple logo.

Then I try install boot camp 6.1 on renistall Windows. Insert Pcie SSD, crash in Apple logo. Unistall boot camp 6.1 (left only drivers) still crash in Apple logo.

I thing somthing wrong with boot camp 6.1 drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.