Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Yes, when I installing Windows, I removed Pcie SSD.

Windows I installing in legacy mode (booting from Windows, nori from efi) from DVD. SSD sata disk cleaned in Windows cmd diskpartition (in Windows startup, shift + F10). cleaned ant converted SSD in mbr and I dont use any format (fat and ntfs. Just left emty SSD).

Bootcamp 5.1 and 6.1 downloaded with Brigadier. And installed fully bootcamp 5.1 (disable automatic start up boot camp, for Windows desktop crash) and removed. Then fully installed boot camp 6.1 (and enable automatic start up boot camp) and then update manualy all drivers. Then insert Pcie SSD and stuck in Apple logo when booting Windows.

I try only install boot camp 5.1 (just disable automatic start up, for desktop crash) and insert Pcie SSD. Windows boot without ant crash (just normaly). Then unistall boot camp 5.1 (just left install drivers) and install boot camp 6.1. Windows charsh on Apple logo.

Then I try install boot camp 6.1 on renistall Windows. Insert Pcie SSD, crash in Apple logo. Unistall boot camp 6.1 (left only drivers) still crash in Apple logo.

I thing somthing wrong with boot camp 6.1 drivers.

I don't see an Apple logo when I start up. I think that was removed in later boot rom versions? I assume it is actually booting windows, but I can't say for sure since mine briefly shows a flashing text cursor in the upper left corner, and then immediately shows the Windows 10 logo.

In any case, if it really is trying to boot into windows, and if you keep force restarting the computer, it may eventually offer-up the windows recovery mode and then you can start up in safe mode. Once in safe mode, you can make sure your drive is MBR. https://www.easyuefi.com/resource/check-mbr-or-gpt.html

I did an install once, clearing all the partitions, and it converted my drive to GPT (UEFI). From then on, I wasn't able to use the Startup Disk control panel in MacOS to select the windows drive. It would just reboot to "No boot volume found" or something like that.

One thing that caused mine to crash on boot was Windows 10 insisted on installing GT 250 graphics drivers, and they will hang the computer. Since you said you have an ATI card, I can't imagine that is the issue. On the second try, I installed TightVNC so I could remote to the computer, even if there was nothing on the display.

100D

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
I don't see an Apple logo when I start up. I think that was removed in later boot rom versions? I assume it is actually booting windows, but I can't say for sure since mine briefly shows a flashing text cursor in the upper left corner, and then immediately shows the Windows 10 logo.

In any case, if it really is trying to boot into windows, and if you keep force restarting the computer, it may eventually offer-up the windows recovery mode and then you can start up in safe mode. Once in safe mode, you can make sure your drive is MBR. https://www.easyuefi.com/resource/check-mbr-or-gpt.html

I did an install once, clearing all the partitions, and it converted my drive to GPT (UEFI). From then on, I wasn't able to use the Startup Disk control panel in MacOS to select the windows drive. It would just reboot to "No boot volume found" or something like that.

One thing that caused mine to crash on boot was Windows 10 insisted on installing GT 250 graphics drivers, and they will hang the computer. Since you said you have an ATI card, I can't imagine that is the issue. On the second try, I installed TightVNC so I could remote to the computer, even if there was nothing on the display.

Windows are installed legacy mode in mbr SSD disk.

Before I buy Pcie SSD disk, I installed in SSD Mojave and in hdd installed Windows 10 legacy. Everything is working. In original Apple hd4870 and in rx580. And I can reboot in Mojave from Windows using boot camp (used 6.1 boot camp version)

I do everything like before. I just installed in Pcie SSD Mojave and in sata SSD Windows.

Kolvir

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Iowa
I've searched the thread, but may have missed it...

I have Windows 7 on a separate drive. Can I just upgrade 7 to 10 in place with the Microsoft media creation tool and selecting upgrade? Seems too easy. I don't have the drive space for a separate install of 10 and I'd hate to have to reinstall/download all of my Windwos software. I'm on a slow connection.

See this site for what I want to do:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Hi folks. I've read through this thread several times, and I can't seem to find a solution to this problem. I'm on a cMP5,1. I upgraded Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. It had BootCamp4 drivers installed from the Win7 installation.

I followed the install instructions to the letter. I get stuck at the step where I'm installing the BootCamp6.1 (build 7483) drivers - I can't seem to get msiexec /i BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/BootCamp.msi to run properly. Each time I run msiexec, it fails at the "Validating Install" stage with the error Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
I've searched the thread, but may have missed it...

I have Windows 7 on a separate drive. Can I just upgrade 7 to 10 in place with the Microsoft media creation tool and selecting upgrade? Seems too easy. I don't have the drive space for a separate install of 10 and I'd hate to have to reinstall/download all of my Windwos software. I'm on a slow connection.

See this site for what I want to do:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Yes. I did exactly that yesterday, and it upgraded my Win7 Pro key to a Win10 key for free.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Lesson to self: you have to use the actual AMD Catalyst installer to uninstall that software/drivers in order to install an up to date version for my RX590 - i.e. you can't use a newer version to simply upgrade it (well, in my case I couldn't). That's teach me for knowing nothing about Windoze! But all working beautifully now.

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Hi folks. I've read through this thread several times, and I can't seem to find a solution to this problem. I'm on a cMP5,1. I upgraded Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. It had BootCamp4 drivers installed from the Win7 installation.

I followed the install instructions to the letter. I get stuck at the step where I'm installing the BootCamp6.1 (build 7483) drivers - I can't seem to get msiexec /i BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/BootCamp.msi to run properly. Each time I run msiexec, it fails at the "Validating Install" stage with the error Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Answering my own question: It turns out that the Bootcamp 4.0 drivers were still installed from a much earlier installation I had done, years earlier in Windows 7. When I upgraded to Windows 10, the Bootcamp4 MSI installer would no longer execute properly, because it was expecting Windows 7.

Here's where things got sticky: when you run the BootCamp6.1 installer, it checks to see if a previous version of BootCamp is installed. If it finds a previous installation, it runs the uninstaller for the previous version of BootCamp. In my case, the error message "Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7" was therefore coming from the BootCamp4 uninstaller, not the BootCamp6.1 installer.

Solution: I searched through c:\Windows\Installer\*.msi (clicking on them one at a time) to locate the BootCamp4.0 msi (it had a randomized filename like 6063a.msi). I edited the MSI using Orca, and removed the line checking for Windows 7 in LaunchConditions. I then saved the MSI, and ran it. It successfully uninstalled BootCamp4, and I was finally able to successfully run the BootCamp6.1 installer.

Hope that helps anyone who gets into this kind of jam. Annoying to say the least.

Reactions: JedNZ

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Need some help - I have a MacPro5,1 with Windows 10 1803 installed (from many upgrades starting from Win7). I cannot get it to take an upgrade to either 1809 or 1903 either via Windows Update or from a DVD. It hits around 50% and then fails and has to roll back.

Next I tried a clean install - removing all drives from my MacPro except the target drive. I installed in Legacy mode from a DVD and all went fine. I installed the bluetooth and Realtek drivers from Bootcamp 5.1 and then tried to install Bootcamp from the iMacPro 1,1 (downloaded with Brigadier) and cannot get the Bootcamp control panel to install and work properly. The installer runs but completes quickly but even after a reboot the control panel doesn't run.

Thoughts? Should I install 1809 and then upgrade to 1903 after getting BootCamp 6 installed? Why won't Bootcamp 6 install?

Thanks.

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Need some help - I have a MacPro5,1 with Windows 10 1803 installed (from many upgrades starting from Win7). I cannot get it to take an upgrade to either 1809 or 1903 either via Windows Update or from a DVD. It hits around 50% and then fails and has to roll back.

Next I tried a clean install - removing all drives from my MacPro except the target drive. I installed in Legacy mode from a DVD and all went fine. I installed the bluetooth and Realtek drivers from Bootcamp 5.1 and then tried to install Bootcamp from the iMacPro 1,1 (downloaded with Brigadier) and cannot get the Bootcamp control panel to install and work properly. The installer runs but completes quickly but even after a reboot the control panel doesn't run.

Thoughts? Should I install 1809 and then upgrade to 1903 after getting BootCamp 6 installed? Why won't Bootcamp 6 install?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, does "Bootcamp Services" appear in your add/remove/uninstall panel?

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Out of curiosity, does "Bootcamp Services" appear in your add/remove/uninstall panel?

It did - I don't know if it did as of the last install - I did a couple of attempts to install the drivers appropriate to the MacPro5,1 then uninstall them and install the drivers from the iMacPro. I will check tonight to confirm they are still there.

Regards.

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
It did - I don't know if it did as of the last install - I did a couple of attempts to install the drivers appropriate to the MacPro5,1 then uninstall them and install the drivers from the iMacPro. I will check tonight to confirm they are still there.

Regards.

Then you'll want to read my earlier post about removing BootCamp 4.x and 5.x before trying to install Bootcamp 6.x

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Then you'll want to read my earlier post about removing BootCamp 4.x and 5.x before trying to install Bootcamp 6.x

I will do that - though I started with a clean install and followed crystalideas install guide installing the bluetooth and Realtek drivers from the 5.1 package and then the full install from the iMacPro package. I just ended up with and install where the bootcamp control panel wasn't running.

angeliadunn

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
You can try the manual method

Step 1: Turn on your Mac computer and boot into macOS. Open Launchpad, click Other and then click Disk Utility to open the same.

Step 2: Once Disk Utility is launched, select the drive (your SSD or HDD) in the left side, and then change to the Partition tab. Disk Utility will now show you the partition layout.

Step 3: Next, click on the small “+” sign to create a new severance

Step 4: Select the newly created partition, enter a name for your new partition (memorize the name as you can easily select the newly created partition later while installing Windows), select the size (at least 30 GB), and then select the format as DOS (FAT) or ExFAT. You can take either DOS or ExFat here, as you can format the partition to NTFS while installing Windows 10.

Step 5: Next, you need to make bootable Windows 10 installation media.

Step 6: Once you have the bootable media, restart your Mac, hold down the Alt (Option) key while restarting the Mac, take the option titled Windows (don’t select EFI unless you are very sure) to begin installing Windows on your Mac.

Step 7: Follow the simple on-screen directions, and when you see the partition selection screen, select the newly created partition (be sure to select the right partition), click Format to format the obstruction with NTFS, select the formatted partition, and then click Install button to continue installing Windows on your Mac.

Step 8: From here on, you need to follow the normal Windows 10 installation system.

Step 9: Once Windows is installed on your Mac, verify if everything works fine.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
You can try the manual method

Step 1: Turn on your Mac computer and boot into macOS. Open Launchpad, click Other and then click Disk Utility to open the same.

Step 2: Once Disk Utility is launched, select the drive (your SSD or HDD) in the left side, and then change to the Partition tab. Disk Utility will now show you the partition layout.

Step 3: Next, click on the small “+” sign to create a new severance

Step 4: Select the newly created partition, enter a name for your new partition (memorize the name as you can easily select the newly created partition later while installing Windows), select the size (at least 30 GB), and then select the format as DOS (FAT) or ExFAT. You can take either DOS or ExFat here, as you can format the partition to NTFS while installing Windows 10.

Step 5: Next, you need to make bootable Windows 10 installation media.

Step 6: Once you have the bootable media, restart your Mac, hold down the Alt (Option) key while restarting the Mac, take the option titled Windows (don’t select EFI unless you are very sure) to begin installing Windows on your Mac.

Step 7: Follow the simple on-screen directions, and when you see the partition selection screen, select the newly created partition (be sure to select the right partition), click Format to format the obstruction with NTFS, select the formatted partition, and then click Install button to continue installing Windows on your Mac.

Step 8: From here on, you need to follow the normal Windows 10 installation system.

Step 9: Once Windows is installed on your Mac, verify if everything works fine.

I have no issues installing Windows 10 on my MacPro5,1. My problem is that I can't get the Bootcamp Control Panel to install/run properly.

My steps are -
1. Install Windows 10 (I'm using 1903) via DVD to a clean SSD
2. Install Bootcamp 5.1.5621 installing all drivers and the Bootcamp Control Panel
3. Uninstall the Bootcamp Control Panel (1903 will BSOD with this version installed)
4. Install the Bootcamp Control Panel from the iMacPro1,1 Bootcamp Package using msiexec command from a command prompt using adminiatrator privileges. This runs to completion but finishes very quickly.
5. I'm left with a working Windows 10 1903 installation but no Bootcamp Control Panel running. If I run the Control Panel application from the Windows/System32 folder it works and shows my Windows and Mac (APFS) partitions but it isn't showing in the tool tray area. I also notice that MacHalDriver.sys is not installed (it's there after the 5.1.5621 installation, gets removed when it is uninstalled but does not get installed when I install the iMacPro package.

So I am left with a working Windows 10 install but not with a working Bootcamp Control Panel. It seems I am following the steps that others have executed successfully but for some reason the iMacPro bootcamp driver/control panel installation isn't working for me. I have done this several times but always with a Windows 1903 installation.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: ebuy05

ebuy05

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
Toronto, ON
I have no issues installing Windows 10 on my MacPro5,1. My problem is that I can't get the Bootcamp Control Panel to install/run properly.

My steps are -
1. Install Windows 10 (I'm using 1903) via DVD to a clean SSD
2. Install Bootcamp 5.1.5621 installing all drivers and the Bootcamp Control Panel
3. Uninstall the Bootcamp Control Panel (1903 will BSOD with this version installed)
4. Install the Bootcamp Control Panel from the iMacPro1,1 Bootcamp Package using msiexec command from a command prompt using adminiatrator privileges. This runs to completion but finishes very quickly.
5. I'm left with a working Windows 10 1903 installation but no Bootcamp Control Panel running. If I run the Control Panel application from the Windows/System32 folder it works and shows my Windows and Mac (APFS) partitions but it isn't showing in the tool tray area. I also notice that MacHalDriver.sys is not installed (it's there after the 5.1.5621 installation, gets removed when it is uninstalled but does not get installed when I install the iMacPro package.

So I am left with a working Windows 10 install but not with a working Bootcamp Control Panel. It seems I am following the steps that others have executed successfully but for some reason the iMacPro bootcamp driver/control panel installation isn't working for me. I have done this several times but always with a Windows 1903 installation.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Hello sfalatko, I have the exact same problem that you have. I have Win 10 (1903 version) running on a separate SSD, with all the right bootcamp drivers. But I can’t install the Bootcamp panel!

The only only way to go back to boot via the MacOS drive is to do a PRAM reset - which is quite annoying..

Anybody else here with the same issue??

ebuy05

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
Toronto, ON
Hello sfalatko, I have the exact same problem that you have. I have Win 10 (1903 version) running on a separate SSD, with all the right bootcamp drivers. But I can’t install the Bootcamp panel!

The only only way to go back to boot via the MacOS drive is to do a PRAM reset - which is quite annoying..

Anybody else here with the same issue??

I just noticed that the BootCamp panel icon was indeed installed (even though I couldn’t find the icon anywhere or in the search bar!). I just didn’t see it!

Hint: If when running BootCamp.exe the installation finishes too fast, try to run the Apple Software Update.exe instead of the BootCamp.exe. It will install BootCamp for you!

I finally found the icon was “hiding” in the taskbar and it’s working fine. I hope this (although may sound silly) helps someone else!

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
This is a very helpful thread. Post 214 needs to be a sticky/wiki. It got me most of the way there, but even booting from a DVD, the installer was still splitting my SATA SSD into 4 partitions and GPT'ing the drive. What I finally figured out was to use Disk Utility in MacOS, erasing the drive to MBR and FAT. Then when I boot to Windows setup, rather than deleting the existing partition and letting Windows have its way, I just selected "format" at the disk setup stage. In this regard, you will only end up with one partition, not two.

I still had an issue with the Bootcamp5 folder--setup is saying I need Windows 7. The Mac Pro stuff installed just fine, so I still get the Bootcamp menu installed. Still fiddling around, but man, did that take some time!

I have an RX 570 on the way soon, so I can drop my GT120. Another note, it would appear that if you install Windows in EFI mode, once Windows installs drivers for the GT120, you'll have stability issues in Windows, or at least I did. Seems fine under non-EFI Windows.

On a positive side note, my troubleshooting actually helped me enable 1333 RAM on my 4,1. It was stuck at 1066 since I dropped in some 1600 DIMMs a few months ago. I thought I was resetting the NVRAM/PRAM right and had the wrong RAM type, but I guess not!

Last edited:

Ardo

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2019
Hi, I tried to install windows 10, but I was not very lucky. Now I'm trying to go back, installed my NVMe Drive, GPU but it can't find my Mojave SSD, tried restarting with C also with Alt/option, but nothing? Can I restart with Terminal or some idea? I also did p/Ram reset
[doublepost=1565635357][/doublepost]
Hi, I tried to install windows 10, but I was not very lucky. Now I'm trying to go back, installed my NVMe Drive, GPU but it can't find my Mojave SSD, tried restarting with C also with Alt/option, but nothing? Can I restart with Terminal or some idea? I also did p/Ram reset

sorry, I found it!

saracli

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
I managed to install W10 on my MP 5,1 running latest Mojave. However, I can't boot back into Mac by selecting it in Bootcamp control panel in W10, after booting into it via Mac Startup Disk. I have to reset PRAM to be able to boot into Mac, otherwise it's a loop of booting back into W10. I have RX580 graphics card and an NNMe boot drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

ANJC

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2018
Spain
I have a disk with mojave, a disk with bootcamp and a disk with high sierra hfs. I use high sierra to boot back to mojave from windows. its a little annoying but works.

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
I managed to install W10 on my MP 5,1 running latest Mojave. However, I can't boot back into Mac by selecting it in Bootcamp control panel in W10, after booting into it via Mac Startup Disk. I have to reset PRAM to be able to boot into Mac, otherwise it's a loop of booting back into W10. I have RX580 graphics card and an NNMe boot drive.

You need to install Bootcamp 6.1 in Win10. If you're using an earlier version of Bootcamp, Win10 cannot see the Mojave partition because it is APFS. See my post #508.

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012

Option key boot-menu select Mojave

saracli

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
You need to install Bootcamp 6.1 in Win10. If you're using an earlier version of Bootcamp, Win10 cannot see the Mojave partition because it is APFS. See my post #508.
I've done this & can see the Mojave boot drive (NVMe) but even when I select it in W10 Bootcamp control panel to restart in Mac, it'll boot back into W10.
[automerge]1570091707[/automerge]
Option key boot-menu select Mojave
Since my graphics card is non-EFI (RX 580) I don't get the boot selection screen.

johnnymcc

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Installed Windows, but can't get the Bootcamp Drivers installed. Stuck on step 16>17

The CMD line shows 100% while downloading... but nothing is in the folder... and it's not named "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder was named BootCamp-031-11269 and it's empty... what is happening?!

I did a search and see all of these in a temp location. I tried to install multiple times.

1570144997541.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.