Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Anyway, I've already switched to OpenCore with EFI Windows.
How is EFI windows better than "legacy install"?
How do you install win10 in EFI mode so, that it won't mess with MP's fw?
Does OpenCore have something to do with that?

Does OpenCore work with both legacy and EFI install of win10. Any differences?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
How is EFI windows better than "legacy install"?
How do you install win10 in EFI mode so, that it won't mess with MP's fw?
Does OpenCore have something to do with that?

Does OpenCore work with both legacy and EFI install of win10. Any differences?
EFI Windows has some advantages, you may google that, but for general usage, a user shouldn't feel any difference.

Post #1 Appendix has the procedure to install EFI Windows via OpenCore safely

OpenCore only support EFI Windows

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
OKAY!
This is a big difference.
Maybe it should be noted even in the #1 post (about OpenCore)?
Since we can convert existing legacy Windows into EFI Windows, therefore, that isn't really a huge matter in general.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Since we can convert existing legacy Windows into EFI Windows, therefore, that isn't really a huge matter in general.

Well, it is for me, I'm trying to install win10 (yet still failing).
Nine "guides" out of ten says "use legacy install" (1/10 says how to use it).

I'm planning to use gtx760 with mp5,1 & win10.
Should I install OpenCore first and then EFI windows?
Or should I install in legacy mode, then convert to EFI (need another windows machine for this?) and then install OpenCore?

How do I keep the mp's fw safe from windows install messing it up?
I'm digging and chcecking old hdd's from boxes and drawers to test this out and so far found 3 hdd's, where win10 installation says, that there's a problem with the drive.
How does the messed up fw show up? Does it corrupt hard drives?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
: "The process is: Install Windows 10 in Legacy mode (if not installed already this way), Download brigadier, and use it to install the correct drivers for your Mac Pro 5,1. After it's installed, used brigadier to uninstall the control panel. Then install the iMac Pro's control panel for AFPS support so you can reboot to 10.13+ with AFPS volumes."

How do I uninstall or install "control panel" with Brigadier?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
[Update 29 Feb 2020: Members reported that this procedure will install Boot Camp 6.1.9 now, which apparently only allow users boot to the latest macOS drive. For those who has multiple macOS drive. This method doesn't work anymore. Also, latest Windows 10 (1909) seems also not allow Bootcamp 5 package to be installed anymore. There is no prefect alternative solution yet. Possible solution is at here. Anyway, I've already switched to OpenCore with EFI Windows. So, I won't update this post anymore]
So, this guide is outdated and will not work.
Step 23: "Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7".

But Step 29 still works, so the iMacPro's bootcamp apps are installed...and...

It works!
I'm running win10 build 18363 in legacy mode (=from MBR disk).
Next 5770 out and gtx760 in...

Aaand 760 works with no hickups.

Anybody knows does win10 work with 5770 + 760 both installed?
(Had those in mp3,1 for years, but never installed windows on that mac...)

Last edited:

149TM

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2020
Hello, hope you can help.

I have a Mac pro 5,1 2012 with opencore, Mojave and Big Sur on separate drives.

I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive. All went well following this guide: https://crystalidea.com/blog/classic-mac-pro-and-windows

When I am in Mac OSMojave, I can select the bootcamp partition in the start-up disc but when the Mac boots I don't see the windows partition in the opencore bootpicker.

The mac boots back into Mojave.

Any idea what I need to do to get windows to show on opencore bootpicker and switch back and forward between the mac and windows.

Thanks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello, hope you can help.

I have a Mac pro 5,1 2012 with opencore, Mojave and Big Sur on separate drives.

I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive. All went well following this guide: https://crystalidea.com/blog/classic-mac-pro-and-windows

When I am in Mac OSMojave, I can select the bootcamp partition in the start-up disc but when the Mac boots I don't see the windows partition in the opencore bootpicker.

The mac boots back into Mojave.

Any idea what I need to do to get windows to show on opencore bootpicker and switch back and forward between the mac and windows.

Thanks

149TM

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2020
After I converted the hard drive to GPT windows keeps restarting and won't boot any more.

Gave up and took out the drive.

May start again from scratch.

Please advise where I went wrong.

Thanks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
After I converted the hard drive to GPT windows keeps restarting and won't boot any more.

Gave up and took out the drive.

May start again from scratch.

Please advise where I went wrong.

Thanks
Let it start 3 times, if all fail in a roll, should go to recovery mode automatically. Then select safe mode at there usually can fix the issue.

Reactions: JedNZ

149TM

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2020
I will give it another try.

Are they any chance the GPT drive setup may break my Mac or send certificates.

Why can't I switch using the MBR disk setup?

Thank you for the responses.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I will give it another try.

Are they any chance the GPT drive setup may break my Mac or send certificates.

Why can't I switch using the MBR disk setup?

Thank you for the responses.
What's you've done to the Windows drive should not affect your mac or macOS drive.

As long as you boot via OpenCore, no cert will be written into the BootROM.

OpenCore doesn't support legacy OS.

149TM

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2020
Thank you h9826790 managed to get windows loaded using opencore. Working fine, no issues apart from one bluetooth device appearing twice.

Not sure what it is and how to fix this, appears each time I remove it.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• blutooth device error.PNG
    blutooth device error.PNG
    113 KB · Views: 174

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you h9826790 managed to get windows loaded using opencore. Working fine, no issues apart from one bluetooth device appearing twice.

Not sure what it is and how to fix this, appears each time I remove it.

Thank you in advance
Disable that unknown "ghost" device is better than remove it (then auto scan will bring it back).

jtcm

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
Mac Pro 5,1
SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB
One SSD installed Mojave, another SSD installed Windows 10 2004, MBR
Installed BootCAMP through brigadier and everything works perfectly except I couldn't switch back from Windows to Mac. I've done another MacPro5,1 for the client and worked without problem.

Tried different pkg for iMacPro1,1 also the latest 061-97204
Wiped SSD and re-installed Mojave a couple of times with different DIsk format, it stayed as APFS

From Windows side bootcamp I could changed to Mojave or other installation USB, but not to the SSD.

Eventually, for testing I moved the Mojave to Bay 1 and it worked. I didn't read through the whole thread if someone said this before then ignore my post.

Just want to add my experience and it might help someone without pulling their hair off.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes;

Currently have opencore working, win 10 installed on a SATA SSD in bay 2. I am considering using a NVME as my boot drive for Win 10 (I only had a 128GB SSD when I initially did the install, something I regret as I am running out of space).

Would it be safe to clone the current install of win 10 onto the NVME then install it onto one of my PCIEs?

Thanks.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes;

Currently have opencore working, win 10 installed on a SATA SSD in bay 2. I am considering using a NVME as my boot drive for Win 10 (I only had a 128GB SSD when I initially did the install, something I regret as I am running out of space).

Would it be safe to clone the current install of win 10 onto the NVME then install it onto one of my PCIEs?

Thanks.
I should be OK by using something like Clonezilla

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Same here. "Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7". How can I fix this?
I haven't do that for a long time already, not sure if still the same for the latest Windows 10.

But the work around was by executing the bootcamp.msi as admin in DOS prompt

Reactions: trifero

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I haven't do that for a long time already, not sure if still the same for the latest Windows 10.

But the work around was by executing the bootcamp.msi as admin in DOS prompt

Thanks. I already got to to work everything. Using bootcamp from Imac17,1

Reactions: h9826790

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Anyone noticed Bootcamp update solving this issue?
Today i was reinstalling Windows after a long time, and as i was downloading Brigadier i've checked Apple Software Updates, just for laugh. There was a Bootcamp update "solving the issue of booting back into macos".
So i installed it, manually since there is a good old certificate error, and i got my Mojave APFS SSD back in booting options.

Capture.PNG

yeongcheol

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2022
when I push button 3) "C", only windows logo display but woundn't proceed anymore. Can I ask you any advice or help?

BR
YeongCheol

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Excellent guide (posting #214)! :) 👍👍👍
I've successfully installed Windows 7 using your method, followed by installing the Windows driver for my Sapphire Vapor-X HD-7950 GPU card (after rebooting the Windows desktop now fills my entire screen, unlike a small square in the middle before installing the driver).

I might add that before going ahead with the Windows installation from the DVD, I formatted (erased) the drive I was going ot use for this as "ExFAT" (within MacOS, and using Disk Utility) and most importantly: gave the disk a name so it would be easily recognized in the Windows installation process "Where do you want to install Windows?" (step 4) so as not so easily accidently erase/format the wrong drive.
Once I selected the correct drive I proceeded as instructed here. As far as I remember though, in step 5, I only found a single drive partition (not 4 as in the example here), but I suppose that's just because I already pre-formatted it without doing anything else.

I also (physically) removed all other drives from my cMP except the MacOS 10.13.6 startup SSD and of course the hard drive I would use for Windows. That way I would completely eliminate messing up my Mac drives.

I've followed the guide to the letter and most of it has worked out fine, but have gotten into some problems when installing the Bootcamp software (step 9 and onwards). Perhaps someone can help me out?

9) Go to https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

10) Download brigadier.exe (0.2.4)

10a) Download and install 7-zip

11) insert a USB drive (this is not mandatory, but just make the command prompt work easier)

Not sure how small a USB flash drive is sufficient, but I used a 32 GB one.

12) Format the USB drive to FAT32
(within Windows), right-click on the USB flash drive (E: here as well, just like in the guide), then select "Format" from the pop-up menu. I just went with the default values, making it an ExFAT drive (which I think may be readable within MacOS as well).

13) Copy brigadier.exe to the USB drive (assume it's the E drive)

14) Open Command Prompt (search CMD can find it)
Click on the "Start" button (Windows logo, bottom left of the screen), then type CMD in the search-field, which then opens the "CMD" terminal tool window (similar to the MacOS Terminal app).

15) type
Code:
e:

16) type
Code:
brigadier -m MacPro5,1

17) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp5" (Note: if this folder is empty, please read this page)

Worked fine. Note: once you've pressed the RETURN key nothing appears to happen!
Hang in there! Just wait for a while (it probably took around 1-2 minutes here) and things will start happening on the screen followed by the progress in percent, then a whole lot of other things.
So just be patient and wait until it's done (the command prompt comes back).
Note 2: the above process apparently downloads and installs a Bootcamp-xxx-xxxxx folder on the USB flash drive in case you've been looking to find it. Fortunately my Bootcamp folder wasn't empty.

18 ) type

Code:
brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

19) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp61"

Similar procedure to above, so be patient even though nothing seems to happen.
The command will create another Bootcamp folder on the USB flash drive and you'll see the Windows command prompt again in the CMD window when done.

20) search CMD again, but this time right click, and choose "run as admin"

First quit the existing CMD window (click the "X" on the top-right hand corner).
Next, go to the Windows "Start" button like you did last time, type CMD in its search field, and when it pops up as (the one and only result), right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

This doesn't work (and gives me an error message: "The system cannot find the path specified") as there's no "Bootcamp" sub-folder of "Bootcamp5" to be found.
If I double-click "Bootcamp5" to open it, this is what it contains:
bootcamp5_folders.PNG

So, I assume the above path must be an error and instead I enter the following (which works):

Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Drivers/Apple

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

A Bootcamp installer window pops up:

bootcamp_installer.PNG

So far so good.....
I'll post this, continue the installation, reboot and continue with the process (I'm doing all of this within Windows).
By the way: I was struggling to find a way to make screenshots in Windows (I'm using an Apple extended wired keyboard and can't figure out which keys to use), but then I discovered an app named "Snipping tool" which you'll find by going to the Windows "Start" menu, click on "All programs" at the bottom (in case you don't already see this app), go to the "Accessories" folder, and there you'll find it.

OK, on with the Bootcamp installation part, reboot and I'll get back here again.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
OK, so I didn't actually succeed in finishing the installation process....
Everything looked good for a while, until the "Keyagent" part came up and after a little while was followed by an error message:
0 bootcamp installation process.PNG

1_keyagent error.PNG

So I pressed "Retry", but got the same error message again.
I then pressed "Ignore" which then allowed me to continue with the installation process.... for a while:

3_Mac HAL error.PNG

Same thing here. Pressed "Retry", same error message again, then pressed "Ignore" to continue, so I choose to "Ignore".
Following this I'm immediately shown a "Bootcamp installer completed":
4_completed installation.PNG

I assume the computer will reboot after having pressed the "Finish" button, so I'm going to post this, press that button and see what happens next....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.