Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
No, that procedure was actually developed and tested in Windows 10.

Then why did I get that error message? I followed all the other steps just like he said.

I wound up skipping it and installing only BootCamp61 drivers. It seems to be working fine so maybe it's not necessary.

max2020

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
Hi everyone, after a few days my Win10 install in my Mac Pro 5,1 with High Sierra (Using legacy mode, Bootcamp6 and Bootchamp )just stops working, Bootchamp does not detect any windows install and when pressing alt only my MacOS disk shows up.

When I boot into it using Preferences, it shows a CMD like screen and says to press any key, but it does not detect any key or click.

I already tried installing several versions of Win10 to no avail, and booting into it from Parallels gives me the same result: after 1-2 days working fine it simply stops booting.

I would really appreciate some help

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
I wound up skipping it and installing only BootCamp61 drivers. It seems to be working fine so maybe it's not necessary.

I spoke too soon. I can't get any sound out unless I put it through my hdmi, but I want to output through the stereo cable. Are there any drivers to get the sound working?

Also, when I'm in windows I can boot to MacOS no problem using the bootcamp utility. But the reverse doesn't work. It seems startup disk doesn't detect my windows drive. Any way to fix this?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I spoke too soon. I can't get any sound out unless I put it through my hdmi, but I want to output through the stereo cable. Are there any drivers to get the sound working?

Also, when I'm in windows I can boot to MacOS no problem using the bootcamp utility. But the reverse doesn't work. It seems startup disk doesn't detect my windows drive. Any way to fix this?
If you use NTFS software in MacOS, please disable it and see if you can select Windows in startup disk selection.

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
If you use NTFS software in MacOS, please disable it and see if you can select Windows in startup disk selection.

I thought that was the cause, because it was working fine before I installed tuxera ntfs. But even after uninstalling it, it still won't work so I'm not sure. I was able to boot into windows by restarting and holding cmd+r and in the recovery mode startup screen the windows drive was detected. It's annoying, but at least I can get to windows without a boot screen. And I need to be able to access NTFS drives on the mac side so I'm willing to put up with it, but if there's a better solution I'd love to hear it.

My bigger problem is no sound in windows. Does anyone know how to get it working with a 5,1 mac pro?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I thought that was the cause, because it was working fine before I installed tuxera ntfs. But even after uninstalling it, it still won't work so I'm not sure. I was able to boot into windows by restarting and holding cmd+r and in the recovery mode startup screen the windows drive was detected. It's annoying, but at least I can get to windows without a boot screen. And I need to be able to access NTFS drives on the mac side so I'm willing to put up with it, but if there's a better solution I'd love to hear it.

My bigger problem is no sound in windows. Does anyone know how to get it working with a 5,1 mac pro?

andysa1966

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I've skimmed over the most recent posts in this thread, is it necessary or advantageous to use bootcamp drivers of the MacPro7,1 that are listed in the other thread?

I have 6.1 installed

smashashing

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
I'm new to this thread. From what I have pieced together, the method provided by the user h9826790 on the 9th page no longer works. I've read through multiple pages and I cannot seem to find anyone that has found a way to get it installed which leads me to post this question. Has anyone gotten it to work recently?(July-August 2020) and if you have may you please provide an updated tutorial on the method of getting it installed? I apologize if it has already been posted. I read through a couple of pages before asking the question but did not seem to find anything.

Thanks guys!

Pascal Baillargeau

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2019
France
I'm new to this thread. From what I have pieced together, the method provided by the user h9826790 on the 9th page no longer works. I've read through multiple pages and I cannot seem to find anyone that has found a way to get it installed which leads me to post this question. Has anyone gotten it to work recently?(July-August 2020) and if you have may you please provide an updated tutorial on the method of getting it installed? I apologize if it has already been posted. I read through a couple of pages before asking the question but did not seem to find anything.

Thanks guys!
What is not working?

Last edited:

Pascal Baillargeau

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2019
France
I have't attempted anything yet, but on the post with the tutorial it says that since Feb of 2020, a different version of Bootcamp installs on Windows 10 and that there are some driver issues
I am using it now, this day, this process, and i can tell you it works. On an iMac 2011, with a WX7100 graphic card. Installing windows 10 2004. I see all Mac OS volumes in bootcamp, i have no drivers issues. The main problem on my config was to find a way to manage IGDKMD64.SYS and get rid of a BSOD with this driver.

smashashing

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
I am using it now, this day, this process, and i can tell you it works. On an iMac 2011, with a WX7100 graphic card. Installing windows 10 2004. I see all Mac OS volumes in bootcamp, i have no drivers issues. The main problem on my config was to find a way to manage IGDKMD64.SYS and get rid of a BSOD with this driver.
I'm trying to get it working on my Mac Pro 5,1. I want to know if anyone with one has gotten it to work

andysa1966

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm trying to get it working on my Mac Pro 5,1. I want to know if anyone with one has gotten it to work
Yes last year, if all the issue seems to be is with latest version of windows 10, could try with an earlier W10 intsaller

smashashing

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Yes last year, if all the issue seems to be is with latest version of windows 10, could try with an earlier W10 intsaller

If you have an older version of Windows 10 installer it won't install. My MacBook Pro has Windows 10 native support on Bootcamp and during the actual installation process for Windows 10 it wouldn't let me install it cause I didn't have the latest version. It installed after I used the latest ISO off of the Microsoft website

andysa1966

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Mac Pro5.1 i thought you were trying to resolve, now you are referencing MacBook Pro?

What have you attempted, it might help if you provide step by step what actions you've undertaken and where the installation fails

eikic1

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2014
indonesia
[Update 29 Feb 2020: Members reported that this procedure will install Boot Camp 6.1.9 now, which apparently only allow users boot to the latest macOS drive. For those who has multiple macOS drive. This method doesn't work anymore. Also, latest Windows 10 (1909) seems also not allow Bootcamp 5 package to be installed anymore. There is no prefect alternative solution yet. Possible solution is at here. Anyway, I've already switched to OpenCore with EFI Windows. So, I won't update this post anymore]

OK, done!

Thanks for providing all the required info. This is my version of "how to do it".

1) Insert the Windows installation DVD into the super drive (How to burn a Windows installation disc properly). [N.B. Do NOT replace the DVD by USB installer. It won't work]

2) Shutdown the Mac

3) Hold "C" to boot (if you have NVMe installed, and can't boot from the disc, please try remove the NVMe)

4) Follow the on screen instruction until reach the "Where do you want to install Windows" step
View attachment 797517

5) "Delete" all the target SSD's partitions. In the above capture (downloaded from internet), you can see that there are 4 partitions for existing EFI mode Windows. Select each partition one by one, and click Delete. Be careful, do NOT remove other drive's partition. All partitions should be on the same drive. e.g. In the above example, all belongs to Drive 0. There is no requirement to remove any other hard drive from the cMP. But if you want to play safe, you can physically remove them between step 2 and 3 to avoid error.

Eventually will looks like this. No more partitions, but just a single large piece of Unallocated Space.
View attachment 797518

6) Click New. This will automatically create the correct and required partitions with all available space. For legacy installation, should be only two partitions automatically created.
View attachment 797527

7) Select the newly created partition, and continue the installation.

8) For Windows 10, the LAN line should work straight away after installation completed. So now, you can use Edge to access the internet.

9) Go to https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

10) Download brigadier.exe (0.2.4)

10a) Download and install 7-zip

11) insert a USB drive (this is not mandatory, but just make the command prompt work easier)

12) Format the USB drive to FAT32

13) Copy brigadier.exe to the USB drive (assume it's the E drive)

14) Open Command Prompt (search CMD can find it)

15) type
Code:
e:

16) type
Code:
brigadier -m MacPro5,1

17) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp5" (Note: if this folder is empty, please read this page)

18 ) type
Code:
brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

19) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp61"

20) search CMD again, but this time right click, and choose "run as admin"

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

24) After installation finished and reboot. Search CMD again, right click, and choose "run as admin"

25) type
Code:
e:

26) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

27) type
Code:
msiexec /x bootcamp.msi
This will NOT remove the drivers, but just the bootcamp apps

28) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp61/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

29) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

30) Let it finish the installation and reboot. And now you can install the hard drives back in.

So now, if you run the bootcamp apps. You should see something like this.
View attachment 797522
Language doesn't really matter, but you can see all the selections.

Those HFS+ High Sierra options will show the hard drive's name (e.g. 8T Backup)

Those APFS Mojave options will show as "Mac" above macOS.

From now on, you can use startup disk in Mojave to select Windows 10 (I renamed the SSD, usually it should shows BOOTCAMP, but not Win 10)
View attachment 797524

And of course, we can use bootcamp apps in Windows to select Mojave.

And have everything working as expected. e.g. Keyboard functions keys, Magic Mouse, BT 4.0, Wifi ac, USB 3.0, etc.

P.S. I am not sure if step 24 - 27 can be skipped or not. You may try, may safe you a minute for rebooting.
so after finish , can work again with NVME PCIe?

Dandidan

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2020
Hi! I am new to this thread but it was very useful to know how to Install windows 10 on my mac.
however, as User @h9826790 stated in his last Feb 29th update the solution to Install bootcamp on a mac pro 5,1 doesn't seems to work. I installed windows 10 (2004) and when I try installing bootcamp5 (step 23) I get an error message telling me that "bootcamp require that my computer is running windows 7"
As anyone manage to install bootcamp on their 5,1 recently?

Edit: I manage boot to my Windows drive by holding "C" for a for a few seconds after the chime while my Windows DVD is still in the DVD drive. If I let go soon enough (4sec after the chime) the windows drive start to boot. It is not ideal because I would like to replace the DVD drive by another Sata SSD but until I can figure out how to install bootcamp this is the way for me to boot windows.

Last edited:

Teachermark01

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2020
Notice: This thread only applies to the classic Mac Pro from 2009 to 2012 (4,1 & 5,1). It does not apply to a MacBook Pro, iMac, or any other Mac besides the classic Mac Pro, but users of those other Macs may still find some of the information in this thread useful.

No boot screen? No problem. :)

Warning!: It has been discovered that Windows when installed in EFI mode is corrupting the Mac Pro’s firmware by signing it with multiple Secure Boot (X.509) certificates. Therefore Windows should only be installed in Legacy BIOS mode on the Mac Pro (5,1 and older.) Detailed information on this issue can be found within the BootROM thread.

Native solution: You can switch between macOS and Windows using Apple's utilities. The latest Boot Camp 6.1 software allow you to select APFS macOS drives in the Boot Camp control panel in Windows. The Boot Camp drive is selectable in Startup Disk in System Preferences in macOS and will boot properly when installed in Legacy BIOS mode. You can use one of the 3rd party programs I've listed below if you want to, but they require SIP (System Integrity Protection) to be at least partially disabled.

User h9826790 has outlined instructions here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ut-a-boot-screen.2114788/page-9#post-26689280. Note that instead of deleting partitions from within Windows setup you can alternatively format the disk in macOS using Disk Utility as MBR partition scheme and select the exFAT file format. Then reformat the disk during Windows setup. Note that to format the disk with MBR partition scheme with Disk Utility you must select "View" and then select "Show All Devices." Then select the drive and click erase.

Make sure you install the Mac Pro 5,1 Boot Camp software first (or whichever is correct for your system) so that all the correct drivers for your system are installed. Then, as the previously linked instructions dictate, uninstall the core Boot Camp Services and then install the iMac Pro version.

Periodically Apple updates the Boot Camp software. Use the previously linked instructions to uninstall the old version and install the latest version. Note that you will not be notified when there is an update.

3rd party solutions: There are a few nifty programs that allow you to dual boot Windows and MacOS easily. There's a free one called BootChamp by Kevin Wojniak. It's a simple program that places a Windows icon on the menu bar. To boot Windows simply click the icon and then select Restart into Windows. There's another one called QuickBoot that is like a mini Startup Disk preference pane that also works from the menu bar like BootChamp. It gives you control over your macOS startup disks in addition to your Boot Camp disk. Then there is a paid program called Boot Runner by Twocanoes. It basically does the same thing as BootChamp but instead of placing an icon on the menu bar it gives you a fancy customizable boot menu that overlays the login screen. It has advanced options and is useful if you have multiple OS installations including Linux. These programs make a temporary change in NVRAM to select the startup disk so that part of System Integrety Protection must be disabled. To do that start your computer in Recovery Mode by holding command + R at startup. Open Terminal from the Utilities menu and type “csrutil enable --without nvram” and then restart the computer.

BootChamp can be downloaded from https://www.kainjow.com/.

QuickBoot can be downloaded from https://buttered-cat.com/product/quickboot/.

Boot Runner can be found at https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/boot-runner/. There is a 14-day free trial available to new users.

Last edited:

Elphiel

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Hi there,
just wanted to share my up to date experience with installing Windows 10 and Bootcamp on my loyal MacPro4,1(5,1 flashed) with Mojave and Radeon Rx580 only

I will give a short summary what I did to run everything fine.

1. bought two new SSDs so one for OSx one for Win10
2. burned Win10_1703_German_x64.iso on single layer DVD using drutil
(the up to date 20H2 on dual layer dvd wont boot and older 1803 didnt fit on single layer [no DL left at home])
3. booted successfully from dvd (holding C key after chime) with only the SSD for win10 in the ssystem (detached the MacOS ssd)
4. erased the ssd and created new partitions. Then installation as usual.
5. after installation was successful I updated Win to latest version with win updater (now 1909) and reinserted the macOS ssd during on of the many reboots.
6. used brigadier to fetch MacPro5,1 package for Realtek driver only and installed them. (did NOT installed the package just the driver)
7. manually downloaded the 1gb+ Win10 bootcamp 6.0 package this
8. opened and extracted the files with 7zip -> run and installed Drivers/Apple/AppleSoftwareUpdate
9. used cmd in admin mode to msiexec /i Bootcamp.msi in same directory
10. Now got my tray icon running after reboot.
11. now run the installed 6.0 apple software update and installed the 6.1.9 bootcamp update from its list.
12. after restart, bootcamp tray icon still works and can now select my APFS macOS ssd for reboot in control panned or over rightclick "restart to macOS" over bootcamp tray icon.

Long story:
gettign a bootable ISO was not easy. First ruined all my DL DVD trying to run. The new ISO from Microsoft Server was the 20h2 and the Mac Pro simply did not wanted to boot from it. So after no DL DVD left and my unwillingness to spend another 10eur for a new package, i downloaded the last version that still fits onto a single layer DVD wich was 1703 for me (german version). Finally it booted and I could run the installation.

Next issue was getting the right bootcamp software. I used brigadier to fetch the iMacPro1,1 package but to my supprise, it did not worked. No tray icon and the bootcamp control center threw me some errors if I selected my mac ssd to boot from. So started to get every package I could find. MacPro7,1 and others. everything did not worked and manually installing and deinstalling using msiexec /i /x was not very reliable too. In the end i read the whole XML and completely installed every registry and file i could find. Last try was the bit 6.0 bootcamp Win10 package I rememberd from my older bootcamp partition long ago. And yes. it worked! What a relief after spending the whole weekend with endless reboots and msiexec commands in windows cmd.
In the end no brigadier was needed. Just the right installation file in the correct order.

Hope this helps others that want to do the same.
Excuse my english. German user here :)

Last edited:
Reactions: howiest

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Hi there,
just wanted to share my up to date experience with installing Windows 10 and Bootcamp on my loyal MacPro4,1(5,1 flashed) with Mojave and Radeon Rx580 only
How did you force the installation to "legacy mode"?
Installing in EFI mode can damage the firmware of MP, so I'm pretty nervous about this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.