Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibonator

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
You may need to clear NVRAM. Windows probably took over the boot path. If you have an EFI video card boot with option key and select opencore drive with control+enter and from there boot Windows.
Worked but windows is jacked.

I did the NVRAM reset. Then put macOS OC drive back in and turned computer on. Windows drive appeared on the Open Core boot screen....SWEET! But when I select the windows drive, windows gives me the blue screen of death....Not so sweet :(. Drive must have become corrupted from the legacy->EFI conversion. So it's probably still not a good thing to get the error during the initial cmd prompt efi conversion.

EDIT: Ive used RX 580 the entire time.

[EDIT/UPDATES]
I finally got the windows drive to show up on the opencore bootscreen and for windows to boot normally. These are the additional steps I did to fix my issues:
1. Remove windows drive, insert macOS opencore drive and do a NVRAM reset (hold option, cmd, P, & R keys for 20 seconds upon booting).
2. After the NVRAM reset reinsert windows drive. Boot and opencore bootscreen appeared with windows drive.
3. For me the initial boot into windows gave me the blue screen of death. Boot windows into SAFE MODE. Restart and it should all work normally with the OC boot screen and windows booting normally!

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

I did the NVRAM reset. Then put macOS OC drive back in and turned computer on. Windows drive appeared on the Open Core boot screen....SWEET! But when I select the windows drive, windows gives me the blue screen of death....Not so sweet :(. Drive must have become corrupted from the legacy->EFI conversion. So it's probably still not a good thing to get the error during the initial cmd prompt efi conversion.

Try this it should fix it:

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Wow, guys and girls!!

I have booted back from Win 10 EFI SSD in bay 1 via BootCamp 6.1 to my NVMe 2.0 for the first time in years, WOW!!!!:):):)

I will try this from OSX to EFI Win 10 SSD.

Edit: Did not work from OSX to Win. Have to go via Terminal to be able to not get a black-screen saying "Insert a bootable disk and press any key". But now I can stay in Windows as long as I want.

/Per
How exactly did you reboot through the terminal as I am at the same stage - I have setup Windows and can boot back to Mac from Windows, but not having any luck to boot into Windows. What is the commands to get to Windows from Mac in Terminal?

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Wow, guys and girls!!

I have booted back from Win 10 EFI SSD in bay 1 via BootCamp 6.1 to my NVMe 2.0 for the first time in years, WOW!!!!:):):)

I will try this from OSX to EFI Win 10 SSD.

Edit: Did not work from OSX to Win. Have to go via Terminal to be able to not get a black-screen saying "Insert a bootable disk and press any key". But now I can stay in Windows as long as I want.

/Per
So in summary: right now I have in bay # 1 Mojave (without OC), in bay # 2 Windows 10 UEFI, but I cannot start Win10 and I have a black screen with the message "Insert a bootable disk and press any key" . Does this mean that with a command from Terminal in OSX I could start Win10 and then update BootCamp in Windows to version 6.1 in order to restart Windows?

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
So in summary: right now I have in bay # 1 Mojave (without OC), in bay # 2 Windows 10 UEFI, but I cannot start Win10 and I have a black screen with the message "Insert a bootable disk and press any key" . Does this mean that with a command from Terminal in OSX I could start Win10 and then update BootCamp in Windows to version 6.1 in order to restart Windows?
Yes, I have a 2TB 7200RPM HDD in the second optical drive bay with a Blu Ray Burner in the top drive bay. That drive is what I am booting Windows on. Mojave is booting on an NVME in the second 16x slot with a Radeon Vega 64 (8GB) in the lower 16x PCI-E slot. So I was able to boot temporarily into Windows 10 and have it boot back to Mac through Bootcamp latest version. I cannot start Windows through selecting it in the Start-Up Disk System Preferences Pane on the Mac side.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Yes

I suppose as me You can boot on Win10 from your cMP.

1) Boot on Windows 10 with admin account

2) Updated with Windows 10 release 1909

3) Reboot

4) Due you are in MBR mode you need to convert it in GPT then open Start.

5) Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

6) Type the following command to validate the drive and press Enter:
Code:
mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS

7) Type the following command to convert the drive to GPT and press Enter:
Code:
mbr2gpt /convert /allowFullOS

Sometimes you can have error at the end but important is to have at the end EFI partition on disk then check.

8) Reboot

9) Go to https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

10) Download brigadier.exe (0.2.4)

11) insert a USB drive (this is not mandatory, but just make the command prompt work easier)

12) Format the USB drive to FAT32

13) Copy brigadier.exe to the USB drive (assume it's the E drive)

14) Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

15) type (e letter for your USB)
Code:
e:

16) type
Code:
brigadier -m MacPro5,1

17) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp5" (Note: if this folder is empty, please read this page)

18 ) type
Code:
brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

19) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp61"

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type (depending your upload for me it was second)
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple
or
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Drivers/Apple

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

24) After installation finished and reboot. Search CMD again, right click, and choose "run as admin"

25) type
Code:
e:

26) type
Code:
or
Code:

27) type
Code:
msiexec /x bootcamp.msi
This will NOT remove the drivers, but just the bootcamp apps

28) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp61/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

29) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

30) Let it finish the installation and reboot. And now you can install the hard drives back in.

Normally after that, all should be OK :) change only in bootcamp Normal Drive as Mac and restart :)

For me now all is available through OpenCore bootpicker as well :)
View attachment 907898

EDIT : update procedure
After converting the Windows 10 disk from MBR to GPT, after the restart I see in Boot Picker (OC) both in the Catalina and in the Windows disco, but when starting Windows from this error "Boot device inaccessible". I reset the NVRAM and Windows tried to restart showing a "Repair" message and then presented me with various choices of functions but not so much rate devotion! Can anyone help me please?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
After converting the Windows 10 disk from MBR to GPT, after the restart I see in Boot Picker (OC) both in the Catalina and in the Windows disco, but when starting Windows from this error "Boot device inaccessible". I reset the NVRAM and Windows tried to restart showing a "Repair" message and then presented me with various choices of functions but not so much rate devotion! Can anyone help me please?
Try the application in post #628

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Yes

I suppose as me You can boot on Win10 from your cMP.

1) Boot on Windows 10 with admin account

2) Updated with Windows 10 release 1909

3) Reboot

4) Due you are in MBR mode you need to convert it in GPT then open Start.

5) Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

6) Type the following command to validate the drive and press Enter:
Code:
mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS

7) Type the following command to convert the drive to GPT and press Enter:
Code:
mbr2gpt /convert /allowFullOS

Sometimes you can have error at the end but important is to have at the end EFI partition on disk then check.

8) Reboot

11) insert a USB drive (this is not mandatory, but just make the command prompt work easier)

14) Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

15) type (e letter for your USB)
Code:
e:

16) type
Code:
brigadier -m MacPro5,1

17) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp5" (Note: if this folder is empty, please read this page)

18 ) type
Code:
brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type (depending your upload for me it was second)
Code:
or
Code:

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

24) After installation finished and reboot. Search CMD again, right click, and choose "run as admin"

25) type
Code:
e:

26) type
Code:
or
Code:

27) type
Code:
msiexec /x bootcamp.msi

28) type
Code:

29) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

30) Let it finish the installation and reboot. And now you can install the hard drives back in.

Normally after that, all should be OK :) change only in bootcamp Normal Drive as Mac and restart :)

For me now all is available through OpenCore bootpicker as well :)
View attachment 907898

EDIT : update procedure
This is an awesome writeup - the issue is that I am stuck in OSX and cannot boot through to Windows at present. How do I boot using Terminal to get to Windows and apply this procedure?

gibonator

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020

UPDATE to my previous post. PROBLEM SOLVED.

All I did to fix the blue screen of death is just boot into SAFE MODE. After booting into safe mode, just restart back into normal mode and it boots up perfectly fine and still shows up in OpenCore bootscreen! Thanks guys!

Minibeniitec

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
Hey so I have a 4,1 flashed to 5,1. When getting to the command line steps, I keep getting errors about not being on Windows 7 for Bootcamp 5 and not being on the right computer for Bootcamp 6,1. Do I just ignore these error because I dont think anything is actually installing.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
UPDATE to my previous post. PROBLEM SOLVED.

All I did to fix the blue screen of death is just boot into SAFE MODE. After booting into safe mode, just restart back into normal mode and it boots up perfectly fine and still shows up in OpenCore bootscreen! Thanks guys!
UPDATE to my previous post. PROBLEM SOLVED

Thank you very much!!! Very easy to solve!!!

Muscovite

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2020
Rats! I did the mbr2gpt conversion with errors - the RE (restore environment?) was corrupted, tried disable/enable, never worked, rebooted into BSOD, but instead of doing your trick with trying the safe mode, decided to reinstall Windows from the DVD all over. But this time once I get to the point when the Windows install needs a reboot, the Open Core bootpicker presented only one option EFI SECTOR (or SECTION?) and the damn DVD installer just starts over instead of continuing the previous install attempt. I am therefore stuck and decided to redo the whole thing from scratch (umpteenth time, too :( ).

I am typing this having booted into Mojave with the Open Core enabled, and the old Apple-compatible ATI Radeon HD 5770. A sidenote: I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you can still use the old card in Mojave - sluggish, but more than enough for my purposes. So, is this the right way to achieve what I am trying to achieve (Open Core, Mojave on SSD SATA A in the optical bay, and Windows 10 on a dedicated separate SSD SATA B in the optical bay):

1. Uninstall Open Core (how?) because it does not allow a new Windows install from DVD by restarting the installation from scratch.
2. Install Windows 10 from the DVD in EFI mode using Apple's boot picker (it lets you select the newly created partition to continue the Windows installation after it needs a reboot). By the way, pressing C blindly will either start the installer in EFI or Legacy, but with the Apple Option-voot you select wither a 'Windows' DVD (=Legacy) or a 'EFI something' DVD = EFI.
3. Reinstall Open Core
4. Replace old Radeon with RX580.

I read somewhere that installing Windows in EFI mode may screw up NVRAM. Is that a danger in this scenario? Can it be reset? Any workarounds? I don't have a PC, have to do the Windows install on a Mac.

Thanks so much

Last edited:

Minibeniitec

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
Hey so I have a 4,1 flashed to 5,1. When getting to the command line steps, I keep getting errors about not being on Windows 7 for Bootcamp 5 and not being on the right computer for Bootcamp 6,1. Do I just ignore these error because I dont think anything is actually installing.

UPDATE 1: I was able to install Windows 10 1803 by DVD. I was not able to run the msiexec commands but I was able to run the setup.exe which was able to load drivers I THINK. So I ran BootCamp5's setup.exe and then BootCamp61's setup.exe. Still have no WiFi capability. I have not connected the computer to the internet as I ran Brigadier on a USB stick. Still, wondering why I can't connect to WiFi.

It may be worth nothing this is my network card. It may be that I just need to download drivers from the internet, but I highly doubt it. I am not using a boot manager. I am on a Bay 1 HD with windows running on MBR. My BIOS is fully updated. Please help.

Questions:
1) Do I need to connect to ethernet for drivers to be updated?
Answered: (Running brigadier works best on windows with network connection)
2) Do I need to uninstall Apple's Software Update? Or is it reasonable to keep it installed?
Unanswered.
3) Any specific reason why the above situation with the msiexec command wouldn't work?
Unasnwered: BootCamp requires windows 7 error still.

UPDATE 2: I re-did the installation completely with a network connection. I got it working by using the setup.exe for BootCamp5 and the msiexec command for BootCamp61. Now I finallly have WiFi drivers, but Bluetooth is not functional. Not perfect, but its usable now. It is extremely slow which is expected for a Hard Drive, so.... question:

1) Is it possible to dual boot this computer on only one nvme ssd? If so how would I go about transferring this image to an already reformatted drive?
2) Will I have issues if I leave it on MBR? Do I need to run the mbr2gpt command? I do not have a boot manager installed.
3) Should I upgrade from Win10 1803 to 1909?

Last edited:

architect1337

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Just pulled out my old Mac Pro 2009 that has been flashed to look like 2010 as i wanted OSX again (after moving to a Windows laptop). I didn't seem to experience any of the issues but in case anyone wants the instructions. I do have an Ati 4870 card though so this allowed me boot into Mac OS at one of the steps below. There may be another way to do this...

Setup: SSD1 (Mac OS X High Sierra), SSD2 (Bootcamp), HD3 (Mac), HD4 (Time Machine). The numbers are the sled bays.

I installed High Sierra on SSD1
I downloaded the bootcamp drivers (5.1) to a USB drive. I then told bootcamp to choose 'SSD2' as the BOOTCAMP disk, inserted Windows 1809 DVD and the system rebooted.
SSD2 won't be useable at this stage, so at the reboot, I held down 'Option' to boot back into MacOS. This only needs to be done once.
Once back in MacOS, I used terminal to format the BOOTCAMP drive correctly:
> diskutil list (make a note of the bootcamp disk (you need to identify it by it's size), in the format disk1/2/3/4
> diskutil eraseDisk exFAT BOOTCAMP MBR disk(x) where (x) is either 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Shutdown your Mac.
Now - open the side case, pull out the drives that are not related to BOOTCAMP (in my case SSD1, HD3 and HD4), leaving only SSD2 in there (the BOOTCAMP disk) and the Windows DVD.
Startup your Mac and it should boot from the Windows DVD
When at the screen where you have to choose the Windows 10 target disk, you should only see one disk.
Hit 'format', then 'next' and Windows will install as normal.
At any point after this, you can shut down the computer and push the other drives back in and close up.
Install bootcamp 5,1, reboot a few times, then Update using the Apple Software Updates in Windows. This will update to later versions of Bootcamp (6,1?)
You should now see your Mac OS disk (my MacOS disk in High Sierra was APFS).
When in High Sierra, you'll also see your BOOTCAMP disk in 'Startup Disk' in 'Preferences' and so can boot back and forth fairly easily. I also updated Windows to 1909 with no issues.
As bootcamp 5,1 installed on the Mac Pro, all features work i.e. wifi, bluetooth etc.

Hope this helps someone bring their Mac Pro back to life. I'm planning on putting an RX570 in but as Windows and MacOS are now installed, I don't see any issues going back and forth and no unusual setting / changes to prevent it.

Last edited:

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
OK I tried it. My report.

I installed it in Mojave.
I booted from Mojave to High Sierra, no problem.
Did restart and returned to Mojave, no problem.

Checked your preferences to made sure your program wasn't in legacy BIOS mode. It wasn't.
Tried to Boot to Windows (EFI). Didn't work, returned me to Mojave.
Tried 2nd time to boot to Windows (EFI). Didn't work, returned me to Mojave.

Tried my script to boot to Windows. It worked and booted into Windows.

Returned to Mojave and checked again that your program wasn't in legacy BIOS mode. It wasn't.
Tried 3rd time to boot to Windows. Didn't work, returned me to Mojave.

Tried to drag your program to trash. Finder wouldn't let me, said it was running.
Did option-command-esc to force quit but it wasn't in list of running apps.
Checked last used icon in dock and it indicated it wasn't running.
Checked System Preference to see if it started up automatically at boot. It wasn't listed.
Checked your program preferences and it wasn't checked to start up automatically.
Tried again to drag it to the trash. Finder wouldn't let me, said it was running.
Logged out and back in. Tried to delete. Didn't work, app still running.

Finally, launched your app from the Launchpad. App window finally open on desktop. Then Quit app from menu bar. Then deleted app from Applications menu successfully.

If this helps any, here is the script that I used that did work for my UEFI mode Windows.

# This script solves the problem of the Disk ID assigned to the Win 10 physical disk changing
# from one power-up to another. The Disk ID depends on when it is enumerated during boot.

set Win_devID to do shell script "diskutil info BOOTCAMP | grep Node"
# this assigns the string "Device Node: /dev/diskXsY" to the Win_devID variable, where X is unpredictable
# BOOTCAMP is the Win 10 volume name

set Win_devID to (text -7 thru -2 of Win_devID) & "1"
# This strips everything except "diskXs" and appends a "1" for the EFI location (always "1")

display dialog "Windows 10 EFI Volume was assigned as " & Win_devID buttons {"Cancel", "Boot Win10"}

do shell script "bless -device \"/dev/" & Win_devID & "\" -mount /Volumes/EFI -setBoot -nextonly" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

tell application "Finder" to restart

Thank you for the excellent work that everyone has done so far on this. I have applied your script as shown in the screenshot and when I run it in the Mojave/Library/Scripts folder it says that Windows 10 EFI Volume was assigned as disk5s1 with the Cancel buttons and Boot Win10 Buttons. I click Boot Win10 and nothing happens (should I do something else here?) I am running Windows 10 on a 2TB HDD internally connected to the 2nd Optical Drive Bay. It is partitioned up as Windows 10 and two other partitions which are formatted Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) for data storage only. I have Paragon NTFS for Mac installed also, but let me know if this should be installed or not. Thank you for any assistance that can get my machine to dual boot. Currently only boots back to OS X each time if I run the script and then reboot as usual through the apple menu.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 5.19.29 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 5.19.29 pm.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 156

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Let me see if I can remember everything :)

I like using scripts to boot into Windows or other Mac OS's, which I can customize and access from the Menubar. But there are several other programs you can use that have some disadvantages like not storing your password. However, which script to use for Windows depends on whether you are booting Windows in the Legacy BIOS mode (you probably are if you used Bootcamp Assistant) or in the UEFI mode (which requires you to install Windows by booting the Windows installer in the UEFI mode). If you aren't sure you can check while running Windows (Google for how).

------

For the UEFI mode you can use this script, or modify as needed, which will automatically determine your drive ID each time it is used (because it can change from boot to boot):

# My Win 10 EFI booting requires -device /dev/diskXs1 be included in the "bless" command.
# This script solves the problem of the Disk ID assigned to the Win 10 physical disk changing
# from one power-up to another. The Disk ID depends on when it is enumerated during boot.

# change BOOTCAMP to your Win 10 volume name, and substitute your password for "your_password".

set Win_devID to do shell script "diskutil info BOOTCAMP | grep Node"
# this assigns the string "Device Node: /dev/diskXsY" to the Win_devID variable, where X is unpredictable

set Win_devID to (text -7 thru -2 of Win_devID) & "1"
# This strips everything except "diskXs" and appends a "1" for the EFI location (which is always "1")

display dialog "Windows 10 EFI Volume was assigned as " & Win_devID buttons {"Cancel", "Boot Win10"}

do shell script "bless -device \"/dev/" & Win_devID & "\" -mount /Volumes/EFI -setBoot -nextonly" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

-------

You can use this script for Windows Legacy-BIOS Boot:

# change BOOTCAMP to your Win 10 volume name, and substitute your password for "your_password".

display dialog "Windows 10 Legacy-BIOS Boot" buttons {"Cancel", "Boot Win10"}

do shell script "bless -mount /Volumes/BOOTCAMP -setBoot -nextonly -legacy" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

-------

You can use this script to boot into another Mac OS (sub in the name of your Mac OS disc in place of "Mojave"):

display dialog "Boot to MacOS Volume Mojave" buttons {"Cancel", "Save", "Once"}

set choice to the button returned of the result as text

if (choice) = "Once" then
do shell script "bless -mount /Volumes/\"Mojave\" -setBoot -nextonly" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

else if (choice) = "Save" then
do shell script "bless -mount /Volumes/\"Mojave\" -setBoot" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

end if

-------

Even though you are running a video card without boot screens it will still provide you with video screens for the Recovery mode (Command-R at startup - takes a while so be patience holding the keys down). Then using the terminal type:

csrutil enable --without nvram

And yes, if you ever do a PRAM reset, you will have to disable the SIP nvram again.

[doublepost=1539512155][/doublepost]
That's because you updated Windows to the latest version. Stick with v1803 for now and you won't have that problem.

I have used this script and I get an error stating "Could not set boot device property" 0xe00002e2"

Does anyone have any ideas? If I use Paragon to mount the NTFS drive and then click the button that says Start up using Microsoft Windows (Legacy Boot) it fails and comes up with an error on the screen. I will try to set my SIP to disable the NVRam and see if that helps.

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I tried the above Legacy to EFI conversion posted by lbuisson. I did get an error in cmd prompt. He said :

Stupid me didn't screen shot the error, nor can I remember it. But I did check disk management and there was an EFI partition so I figured I was good to go and tried to reboot, keep in mind no other drives were in the computer for the reboot (so my macOS drive with OC was not in the machine). The computer did not boot up...just the mac chime and then black screen, so I turned it off. I put the macOS OpenCore drive back in with the windows drive still in the machine, attempted booting up but the machine didn't boot up, just goes into a boot chime loop twice. If I remove the windows drive the machine boots normally to OC boot screen and I can get into Mojave.

So.....what's next? I caution others to not proceed with reboot if you have an ERROR when converting to EFI or you won't be able to boot to your drive. Also, I have no idea if certificates were being written to my machine when only the windows drive was in my computer since I didn't have OC drive in to protect it. Is there a way to check if certificates were written? And if so, how do you erase them? As for my windows drive, I guess I'll have to reformat and try legacy install again? Or is there anyway to get back into it?

[EDIT/UPDATES]
I finally got the windows drive to show up on the opencore bootscreen and for windows to boot normally. These are the additional steps I did to fix my issues:
1. Remove windows drive, insert macOS opencore drive and do a NVRAM reset (hold option, cmd, P, & R keys for 20 seconds upon booting).
2. After the NVRAM reset reinsert windows drive. Boot and opencore bootscreen appeared with windows drive.
3. For me the initial boot into windows gave me the blue screen of death. Boot windows into SAFE MODE. Restart and it should all work normally with the OC boot screen and windows booting normally!
THANKS GUYS!!

What you have described certainly appears as the next step, but I am finding that the solution I have at present is working well enough for the very latest version of Mojave and Windows 10 1909. It is a slightly modified version presented by @h9826790 and also some of what @crystalidea has written with a few caveats. I have it installed properly in Legacy Bios mode, it creates another NTFS partition, however this partition has no information written to it, unlike when you install it in UEFI mode and there is information written into the EFI partition. Gaming on Windows is brilliant, however the Apple Magic Mouse 2 is not working properly, even after installing Magic Mouse Utilities - it still won't function as it should. My Logitech Gamepad works as it should though, which is a bonus. Just scrolling with my mouse is problematic and won't work. I bought a copy of NTFS for Mac by Paragon as I was always having to access NTFS drives and so I use this now to mount the windows partition in Legacy mode - then the Windows drive shows up in Start-up Disk. I have a Radeon Vega 64 in my Mac Pro and I am not sure if OC will work for me, also I am not confident to go the next step and change the partition. Can anyone say whether OC will show up on my graphics card and if I can have a selector screen? I don't really care too much at this point as long as Windows boots when I want it to and Mojave works on the NVME. I couldn't be arsed going to Catalina as I think it will introduce new headaches and I want to minimise that. So the system is where it is at currently and after spending days trying to get this functioning - I think this method is working well enough for me.

lbuisson

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018
France
I tried the above Legacy to EFI conversion posted by lbuisson. I did get an error in cmd prompt. He said :

Stupid me didn't screen shot the error, nor can I remember it. But I did check disk management and there was an EFI partition so I figured I was good to go and tried to reboot, keep in mind no other drives were in the computer for the reboot (so my macOS drive with OC was not in the machine). The computer did not boot up...just the mac chime and then black screen, so I turned it off. I put the macOS OpenCore drive back in with the windows drive still in the machine, attempted booting up but the machine didn't boot up, just goes into a boot chime loop twice. If I remove the windows drive the machine boots normally to OC boot screen and I can get into Mojave.

So.....what's next? I caution others to not proceed with reboot if you have an ERROR when converting to EFI or you won't be able to boot to your drive. Also, I have no idea if certificates were being written to my machine when only the windows drive was in my computer since I didn't have OC drive in to protect it. Is there a way to check if certificates were written? And if so, how do you erase them? As for my windows drive, I guess I'll have to reformat and try legacy install again? Or is there anyway to get back into it?

[EDIT/UPDATES]
THANKS GUYS!!
Hi
thanks for feedback in my case no NVRAM reset it was working but I will update my procedure with your remark

Jamie Kehoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Sydney, Australia
On another note, my bluetooth devices sometimes are non functional, I have looked up a fix and found this on Github which may be invaluable to keep bluetooth devices in sync between OSX and Windows.

boot72

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
Pulled up the Run app typed in applecontrolpanel.exe
Pulled up the Run app typed in applecontrolpanel.exe and to my surprise it opened. I then located the file in windows/system32 made a shortcut and pinned it to my start menu. Now i can restart back into mac finally!!

HI JOHNdo18, just for your info.. I TRIED YOUR ABOVE PROCEDURE and pinned it to the taskbar.. and resolved the issue of black screen NO BOOTABLE DRIVE --INSERT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY.. CAN BOOT TO MY SCREEN IN WINDOWS AND THEREAFTER MAC.. windows restarts in the installed EFi boot & mac hd
Thanks Mate.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
When using Brigadier to install BC5 drivers has anybody had the Windows installer complain that you need to be running Win7?

leoaf79

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
[Update 29 Feb 2020: Members reported that this procedure will install Boot Camp 6.1.9 now, which apparently only allow users boot to the latest macOS drive. For those who has multiple macOS drive. This method doesn't work anymore. Also, latest Windows 10 (1909) seems also not allow Bootcamp 5 package to be installed anymore. There is no prefect alternative solution yet. Possible solution is at here. Anyway, I've already switched to OpenCore with EFI Windows. So, I won't update this post anymore]

OK, done!

Thanks for providing all the required info. This is my version of "how to do it".

1) Insert the Windows installation DVD into the super drive (How to burn a Windows installation disc properly). [N.B. Do NOT replace the DVD by USB installer. It won't work]

2) Shutdown the Mac

3) Hold "C" to boot (if you have NVMe installed, and can't boot from the disc, please try remove the NVMe)

4) Follow the on screen instruction until reach the "Where do you want to install Windows" step
View attachment 797517

5) "Delete" all the target SSD's partitions. In the above capture (downloaded from internet), you can see that there are 4 partitions for existing EFI mode Windows. Select each partition one by one, and click Delete. Be careful, do NOT remove other drive's partition. All partitions should be on the same drive. e.g. In the above example, all belongs to Drive 0. There is no requirement to remove any other hard drive from the cMP. But if you want to play safe, you can physically remove them between step 2 and 3 to avoid error.

Eventually will looks like this. No more partitions, but just a single large piece of Unallocated Space.
View attachment 797518

6) Click New. This will automatically create the correct and required partitions with all available space. For legacy installation, should be only two partitions automatically created.
View attachment 797527

7) Select the newly created partition, and continue the installation.

8) For Windows 10, the LAN line should work straight away after installation completed. So now, you can use Edge to access the internet.

10a) Download and install 7-zip

14) Open Command Prompt (search CMD can find it)

15) type
Code:
e:

16) type
Code:
brigadier -m MacPro5,1

18 ) type
Code:
brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

20) search CMD again, but this time right click, and choose "run as admin"

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type
Code:

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

25) type
Code:
e:

26) type
Code:

27) type
Code:
msiexec /x bootcamp.msi

28) type
Code:

29) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

So now, if you run the bootcamp apps. You should see something like this.
View attachment 797522
Language doesn't really matter, but you can see all the selections.

Those HFS+ High Sierra options will show the hard drive's name (e.g. 8T Backup)

Those APFS Mojave options will show as "Mac" above macOS.

From now on, you can use startup disk in Mojave to select Windows 10 (I renamed the SSD, usually it should shows BOOTCAMP, but not Win 10)
View attachment 797524

And of course, we can use bootcamp apps in Windows to select Mojave.

And have everything working as expected. e.g. Keyboard functions keys, Magic Mouse, BT 4.0, Wifi ac, USB 3.0, etc.

P.S. I am not sure if step 24 - 27 can be skipped or not. You may try, may safe you a minute for rebooting.
I was happy to find this tutorial but with Windows10Pro(64 Bit) 1809.17763.134 release maybe some things changed and need to be mentioned.

brigadier will download BootCamp 4 which was the last supported Version for win7 when you choose MacPro 5.1

on windows 10 64bit you need to do msiexec /i bootcamp64.msi (in my case I started Setup.exe right klick as Admin worked too)
In Bootcamp Install-Folder I deleted Video Drivers I do not need, because setup installs both Ati/AMD and Nvidia.

After step 24 Your system will get destroyed after booting it will crash after AppleHFS.sys is loaded
usually max 20 sec after log in. You will not be able to do anything after log in...BSOD
That's why you need to rename or delete in
c:/windows/system32/drivers AppleHFS.sys
BEFORE REBOOTING...

This refers to all BootCamp Versions which are installed on Windows 1511 above
Starting with the anniversary update 1607 BootCamp versions below 6.1.xxxx will produce BSOD

I did not either reboot or uninstalled at step 24.
I had to search for InstallESD.PKG which was loaded by brigadier for MacPro1.1 in temporary directory
which is crashing during unpacking because it expects DMG file

I took the *xxxx.PKG file brigadier tried to unpack and crashed over to other Mac and unpacked it with pacifist
inside there was bootcamp.dmg opened this copied back to usb and
installed bootcamp.msi with right click on Win10 again. (I do not know a tool which uncompress pkg files under windows IsoBuster did it years ago)

now Bootcamp settings are not in WindowsStartBar/nextToClock infoIcons section anymore but only in SystemControl not in Settings !
and the new BootCamp Application does not show my RAID-HFS-HDs you have to decide
either APFS with bootcamp6.1 or choose maybe bootcamp5, or 6.0 to have the option to boot with HFS-Raid from Applet

Without the Drivers from BootCamp 4 (windows 10 pro 1809) on my MacPro5.1 did not have any bluetooth Wifi Ethernet and USB3 was not working after these procedure with different bootcamps all peripherals work.
In bootcamp applet I used combobox to activate F1 F2 etc PC Keys..

--------------------------------
Edit:

No I checked BootCamp facts again
I have no clue why brigadier chose the wrong versions

For the mac pro 2009 8.1 Windows drivers should work
BootCamp support software starts with 5.0.5033

( I don't know why in my case brigadier downloaded version 4.0)
@cdf so I can't get past step 23 below:

as when I run the command to launch:
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

when running the installer, it says I need to be running windows 7

View attachment 894605

-- how'd you get around this?
Help me please!
I just finished reinstalling Windows 10 and downloading BootCamp5 and BootCamp61 through Brigadier.
I wrote the command with CMD, as administrator, for the installation of BootCamp5 but a warning window opens that to run the installation must be running Windows 7 !!! How is it possible??? Your help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Thanks in advance!

I installed bootcamp 5,1 on windows 10 by running setup.exe on compatibility mode.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.