Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndo18

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Doesn't seem that brigadier is working properly lately either. Numerous errors and files not in the right locations

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It should still works, I downloaded the 6.1 driver via briagdier just few days ago.

Did you read the console error message? Without knowing what's wrong, it's hard to help

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It should still works, I downloaded the 6.1 driver via briagdier just few days ago.

Did you read the console error message? Without knowing what's wrong, it's hard to help

I have avoided upgrading the driver from the original because I heard somewhere that the new driver (updated from the Apple Updates Applet within Windows) breaks the bootcamp control panel, and won’t allow booting back into an APFS/macOS volume.

Has that problem been resolved or was it a false report?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have avoided upgrading the driver from the original because I heard somewhere that the new driver (updated from the Apple Updates Applet within Windows) breaks the bootcamp control panel, and won’t allow booting back into an APFS/macOS volume.

Has that problem been resolved or was it a false report?
IMO, false report.

I am using the latest one, work better than the previous one.

The old one can only see macOS, the newer one can see macOS from which drive.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
IMO, false report.

I am using the latest one, work better than the previous one.

FYI - I updated and sadly, I lost 3 macOS boot drives from the booting options of the control panel. I still have one macOS drive listed and it will boot to that drive, but the other 2 are gone.

I'll try to find a way to correct this, otherwise I'll restore my latest backup prior to updating the bootcamp driver.

EDIT:
So, after some testing here's how it's behaving on MY machine...

After doing a NVRAM reset and checking that all drives were working perfectly, I find that booting into windows with the newest bootcamp is fine. However once in Windows, the BootCamp control panel only shows one (1) macOS drive.

At first I thought that perhaps it was only showing the macOS drive that WIN was called from, but this proved to be incorrect. No matter what macOS drive I call a WIN boot from, it always returns to Catalina on my NVME drive.

From this information, I glean that the WIN BootCamp Control panel scans the drives, and only gives the option to boot from the latest version of macOS installed. This week, I will remove the Catalina drive (if time permits) and see what it defaults to after that is gone.

So, it seems there was some truth (but not fully accurate) to the newest BootCamp drivers eliminating macOS drives from the selection.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the report, and sorry to hear that.

May be there is another update in these few days?

Or only some Macs behave like this.

I am out of town now. Can’t check if there is anymore update for my Bootcamp.

Reactions: crjackson2134

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy

Hi, a few months ago I installed Windows 10 on a dedicated SSD of my Mac Pro 5.1 (2010, with Mojave) following your precious guide! However, some keyboard functions have never worked (e.g. the opening / closing button on the SuperDrive DVD). Last week I also installed Windows 10 on my Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008), on a dedicated SSD. I downloaded BootCamp 6.0 for Windows from the web and everything works perfectly (in the BootCamp control panel in Windows there are 5 tabs). Taken from the enthusiasm I then private to reinstall Windows 10 on the Mac Pro 5.1 with the same method (BootCamp 6.0) but unfortunately in the control panel (tab "Startup disk") there is only the Windows BOOTCAMP folder and the MacOS folder is missing . So from Windows it is not possible to restart in MacOS. I then installed the BootCamp 6.1 drivers (downloaded with Brigadier by selecting iMac Pro) but now in the Windows BootCamp control panel (only 3 tabs) I also see the MacOS folder (APSF Mojave). But now many keyboard functions (eg: Brightness, Audio Volume, SuperDrive, etc.) no longer work! I kindly ask for your help ... Thanks in advance!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi, a few months ago I installed Windows 10 on a dedicated SSD of my Mac Pro 5.1 (2010, with Mojave) following your precious guide! However, some keyboard functions have never worked (e.g. the opening / closing button on the SuperDrive DVD). Last week I also installed Windows 10 on my Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008), on a dedicated SSD. I downloaded BootCamp 6.0 for Windows from the web and everything works perfectly (in the BootCamp control panel in Windows there are 5 tabs). Taken from the enthusiasm I then private to reinstall Windows 10 on the Mac Pro 5.1 with the same method (BootCamp 6.0) but unfortunately in the control panel (tab "Startup disk") there is only the Windows BOOTCAMP folder and the MacOS folder is missing . So from Windows it is not possible to restart in MacOS. I then installed the BootCamp 6.1 drivers (downloaded with Brigadier by selecting iMac Pro) but now in the Windows BootCamp control panel (only 3 tabs) I also see the MacOS folder (APSF Mojave). But now many keyboard functions (eg: Brightness, Audio Volume, SuperDrive, etc.) no longer work! I kindly ask for your help ... Thanks in advance!
I will check that out once I back home (out of town now).

Anyway, just to be sure, did you install the bootcamp 5 package? The driver is in that package, not the bootcamp 6.1 package.

The idea is simple.

We download and install the bootcamp 5 package that's really made for cMP. So that we have the proper drivers (e.g. driver for Apple keyboard).

But this will also installed the bootcamp Windows apps that doesn't work for APFS. Therefore, we have to remove that manually. Then install the bootcamp 6.1 package, that will give us the option to boot back to an APFS volume.

Since you are not the only one having issue. It seems something is updated and causing the issue. I will have a look later.

Reactions: VaZ

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy

Anyway, just to be sure, did you install the bootcamp 5 package? The driver is in that package, not the bootcamp 6.1 package.

The idea is simple.

We download and install the bootcamp 5 package that's really made for cMP. So that we have the proper drivers (e.g. driver for Apple keyboard).

But this will also installed the bootcamp Windows apps that doesn't work for APFS. Therefore, we have to remove that manually. Then install the bootcamp 6.1 package, that will give us the option to boot back to an APFS volume.

Since you are not the only one having issue. It seems something is updated and causing the issue. I will have a look later.

Ok! Thank you so much!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
FYI - I updated and sadly, I lost 3 macOS boot drives from the booting options of the control panel
I had the same issue.
Then I used:
Code:
brew cask install gdisk
I wanted to relabel the Bootcamp partition. Use the example in the Configuration.pdf of OC at the end.
When I started gdisk it said there was an error in the partition table and corrected it. Afterwards I saw again all available drives in BootCamp Startup disk panel. You can gdisk from Windows to rename the Apple partitions as well.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I had the same issue.
Then I used:
Code:
brew cask install gdisk
I wanted to relabel the Bootcamp partition. Use the example in the Configuration.pdf of OC at the end.
When I started gdisk it said there was an error in the partition table and corrected it. Afterwards I saw again all available drives in BootCamp Startup disk panel. You can gdisk from Windows to rename the Apple partitions as well.

okay, I’ll check it out.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

So I gave it a go and ended up with a nuked Windows partition. I ended up wiping the drive and just restoring to the latest backup image prior to updating the Boot Camp drivers. The whole exercise was a total fail for me.

Now I need to get the few WIN updates I'm behind on, and the Radeon driver updates. I suppose I'll get the Apple updates too, but skip the Bootcamp driver update.

At least it's all working again...

I have renamed all of my macOS's numerically so that they show up in a certain order in the control panel regardless of all showing only macOS. I know which one is for each, so I guess I'll stick with this solution a while longer until I can figure out a solution. I won't install from scratch anymore, as it's just too time consuming for an OS I only use occasionally.

Every time something goes awry that I can't fix otherwise, I just use Winclone to restore. I doesn't happen often, just when I try something new or testing. Winclone has saved the day once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
So I gave it a go and ended up with a nuked Windows partition. I ended up wiping the drive and just restoring to the latest backup image prior to updating the Boot Camp drivers. The whole exercise was a total fail for me.

Now I need to get the few WIN updates I'm behind on, and the Radeon driver updates. I suppose I'll get the Apple updates too, but skip the Bootcamp driver update.

At least it's all working again...

I have renamed all of my macOS's numerically so that they show up in a certain order in the control panel regardless of all showing only macOS. I know which one is for each, so I guess I'll stick with this solution a while longer until I can figure out a solution. I won't install from scratch anymore, as it's just too time consuming for an OS I only use occasionally.

Every time something goes awry that I can't fix otherwise, I just use Winclone to restore. I doesn't happen often, just when I try something new or testing. Winclone has saved the day once again.
So, in summary, after completing the installation of Win 10, simply installing (from Brigadier) the BootCamp 5.1 drivers, should everything (e.g. keyboard) work correctly? Then obviously I have to update the Radeon RX 580 and RealTek drivers and install BootCamp 6.1 to see the MacOS volume (APFS)? If I understand correctly then don't I have to update to the latest version of Boot Camp for Windows (6.1.9) from Apple Software Update? Thank you!!!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So, in summary, after completing the installation of Win 10, simply installing (from Brigadier) the BootCamp 5.1 drivers, should everything (e.g. keyboard) work correctly? Then obviously I have to update the Radeon RX 580 and RealTek drivers and install BootCamp 6.1 to see the MacOS volume (APFS)? If I understand correctly then don't I have to update to the latest version of Boot Camp for Windows (6.1.9) from Apple Software Update? Thank you!!!

Don‘t assume anything based on my results. There could be any number of reasons it didn’t work for me. I’m still troubleshooting.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy

The idea is simple.

So, in summary, after completing the installation of Win 10, simply installing (from Brigadier) the BootCamp 5.1 drivers, should everything (e.g. keyboard) work correctly? Then obviously I have to update the Radeon RX 580 and RealTek drivers and install BootCamp 6.1 to see the MacOS volume (APFS)? To download BC 6.1 I need to select iMac Pro into Brigadier? If I understand correctly then don't I have to update to the latest version of Boot Camp for Windows (6.1.9) from Apple Software Update?
Thank you!!!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So, in summary, after completing the installation of Win 10, simply installing (from Brigadier) the BootCamp 5.1 drivers, should everything (e.g. keyboard) work correctly?
Correct

Then obviously I have to update the Radeon RX 580 and RealTek drivers and install BootCamp 6.1 to see the MacOS volume (APFS)?
Correct, except RealTek drivers are included in the Bootcamp 5 package.

To download BC 6.1 I need to select iMac Pro into Brigadier?
Correct

If I understand correctly then don't I have to update to the latest version of Boot Camp for Windows (6.1.9) from Apple Software Update?
Correct

Reactions: VaZ

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Correct

Correct

Correct
Sorry, since the installation of Windows 10 is quite long, before doing it again, do you think there is a way to completely uninstall all BootCamp drivers (do a complete cleaning) and then correctly install those downloaded with Brigadier?

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Sorry, since the installation of Windows 10 is quite long, before doing it again, do you think there is a way to completely uninstall all BootCamp drivers (do a complete cleaning) and then correctly install those downloaded with Brigadier?
Add/Remove BootCamp drivers under Settings / "Apps" (not sure why m$ starting to call .exe programs Apps like Apple now..)

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Correct

Correct

Correct
Help me please!
I just finished reinstalling Windows 10 and downloading BootCamp5 and BootCamp61 through Brigadier.
I wrote the command with CMD, as administrator, for the installation of BootCamp5 but a warning window opens that to run the installation must be running Windows 7 !!! How is it possible??? Your help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: leoaf79

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Help me please!
I just finished reinstalling Windows 10 and downloading BootCamp5 and BootCamp61 through Brigadier.
I wrote the command with CMD, as administrator, for the installation of BootCamp5 but a warning window opens that to run the installation must be running Windows 7 !!! How is it possible??? Your help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Thanks in advance!
You can skip that bootcamp 5 installer. And jump to the bootcamp 6.1 installer.

Then manually install the bootcamp 5 driver that you really need.

e.g. Run the RealtekSetup.exe inside BootCamp/Drivers/RealTekto install the driver for audio.

Reactions: kitcostantino

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy

e.g. Run the RealtekSetup.exe inside BootCamp/Drivers/RealTekto install the driver for audio.
but how do you manually install the drivers? I never did it...
[automerge]1582914836[/automerge]

the problem is how to install the Apple drivers (eg AppleKeyboardinstaller) ...

Last edited:

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Double click it.

Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple/AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe
I tried to install BootCamp61 directly but the keyboard does not respond to some functions (SuperDrive opening, Brightness, Audio, etc). I then tried to install manually as you told me but nothing ... it does not install because it warns that that driver would not bring any hardware update!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just did some quick tests, it seems the latest Windows 10 (1909) block the Bootcamp 5 package installation (this package has no update for years. Therefore, should be the Windows side cause the problem).

No idea if there is any other work around yet.
[automerge]1582930845[/automerge]

Just booted to Windows 10 to have a check. I made a clean Windows 10 installation on 15 Feb 2020. And that's still with the Boot Camp 6.1.7483.

The latest one is 6.1.9. I haven't install this version yet. But I bet this is the problematic one.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
I just did some quick tests, it seems the latest Windows 10 (1909) block the Bootcamp 5 package installation (this package has no update for years. Therefore, should be the Windows side cause the problem).

No idea if there is any other work around yet.
[automerge]1582930845[/automerge]

Just booted to Windows 10 to have a check. I made a clean Windows 10 installation on 15 Feb 2020. And that's still with the Boot Camp 6.1.7483.

The latest one is 6.1.9. I haven't install this version yet. But I bet this is the problematic one.
But I tried to install BootCamp 5 on version 1809 of Windows and not on 1909! Previously I had installed the 1803 and if I remember correctly I was able to install the BootCamp 5 drivers in Windows 10 (the keyboard in that case worked, with the exception of the button for opening the optical drive). Only after the correct installation of the drivers would I like to proceed with the update of Win 10 1909.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.