Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelzaragozano

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2019
Maybe you could try downloading the full installer for 10.14.5 at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

This could maybe do 3 things:

1. Update to 10.14.5

2. Create a 10.14.5 recovery partition

3. Convert to apfs.

I think that's worth a try anyway.

You could just run it over your existing system and hope for the best. All files and apps should stay there. It doesn't have to be a clean install.

On the other hand if it doesn't work, maybe then make a bootable usb installer for 10.14.5, boot up from the usb, erase the drive and reinstall the system (i.e. do a clean install). Of course if you do this you should do a backup first.

I tried updating to 10.14.5 through the full installer but I just get to the second step where it asks me where I want to install and stops as the volume isn't APFS, no option to convert or continue. I think Plan B is looking like the go - make a bootable USB and perform a clean install. I'll have a crack at it!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I tried updating to 10.14.5 through the full installer but I just get to the second step where it asks me where I want to install and stops as the volume isn't APFS, no option to convert or continue. I think Plan B is looking like the go - make a bootable USB and perform a clean install. I'll have a crack at it!

Sine you were concerned about losing the setting up work you have done why not migrate from the back up with Setup Assistant at the end of the install.

timelzaragozano

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2019
Sine you were concerned about losing the setting up work you have done why not migrate from the back up with Setup Assistant at the end of the install.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow you there...

I've just finished saving a backup clone; my plan was then to boot from a USB, erase and perform a clean install, and then backup from the clone... As you may have gathered, I'm very far from an expert on this, so if you have a better or more reliable suggestion, then I'm very open to it!

Thanks a lot!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you there...

I've just finished saving a backup clone; my plan was then to boot from a USB, erase and perform a clean install, and then backup from the clone... As you may have gathered, I'm very far from an expert on this, so if you have a better or more reliable suggestion, then I'm very open to it!

Thanks a lot!

Not sure what your step "......and then backup from the clone...." meant. If you had said "and then migrate from the clone.....", it would be the same as what I have suggested below. Note it is preferable to do the migration offered at the end of the installation, rather than later with Migration Assistant.

Make bootable USB installer
Boot from USB installer with the backup external clone attached.
Erase whole internal disk as APFS using Disk Utility (which is on the USB installer)
Install macOS (using the option on the USB installer)
At the end of the installation it will ask you if you want to migrate, with three options.
Chose the one that includes "from an attached disk" or similar
Follow prompts
It will migrate everything from your backup clone.
There should be a Recovery partition.

Instead of making a Bootable installer you could boot from Internet Recovery for the first two steps. This avoids having to make a USB installer but will install the initial version of macOS supplied on the Mac, which may not be what you want.

Last edited:

timelzaragozano

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2019
Not sure what your step "......and then backup from the clone...." meant. If you had said "and then migrate from the clone.....", it would be the same as what I have suggested below. Note it is preferable to do the migration offered at the end of the installation, rather than later with Migration Assistant.

Make bootable USB installer
Boot from USB installer with the backup external clone attached.
Erase whole internal disk using Disk Utility (which is on the USB installer)
Install macOS (using the option on the USB installer) as APFS
At the end of the installation it will ask you if you want to migrate, with three options.
Chose the one that includes "from an attached disk" or similar
Follow prompts
It will migrate everything from your backup clone.
There should be a Recovery partition.

Instead of making a Bootable installer you could boot from Internet Recovery for the first two steps. This avoids having to make a USB installer but will install the initial version of macOS supplied on the Mac, which may not be what you want.

Well, after a couple of false starts, this way worked a treat for me, all is set up now, on APFS, recovery partition installed, all is well! Thank you everyone for your help!

Reactions: Mike Boreham

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
If you did a standard clean install of Mojave, particularly from a bootable USB that you may have created, then you will have a recovery system partition.
That recovery partition will not be visible as a bootable choice, even in the boot-picker (Option-boot) screen.
It should show up as an item when you try the terminal command "diskutil list", as suggested in post #2 by Mike Boreham.
It WILL boot to that recovery system if you restart while holding Command-R

cMP 5,1

I am a bit stuck at the moment. System runs well in normal activities, but I cannot get into recovery mode, which I need to do in order to enable System Protection Mode (SIP) for Catalina public beta.

I have a recovery volume within an APFS container on the SanDisk that also is the system boot disk (can boot to Mojave or Catalina with that disk). I don't know how or when the recovery volume was created. As indicated in your post, it is not visible as a bootable choice. However, contrary to your post, holding cmd-R does nothing on my system. It boots to whatever was last selected as the startup disk through system preferences.

The Catalina Beta installation is patched to allow VMware Fusion to run. I suspect the patch turned SIP off. The command for checking SIP status says I have an unsupported custom configuration and SIP is off. Enabling SIP requires a command executed from within recovery mode, though I am not sure it will be possible to enable SIP with that patch applied. Booting to an installer and then accessing Terminal from there, then running csrutil enable (to enable SIP) came back with error message about the need to be in recovery mode for that action.

If I knew running the firmware update for installing Mojave on that extra hard drive would not hose Catalina, I'd try that to see if I can get a recovery partition out of the deal.

I think I might have hosed something needed for that recovery volume, by trying to cleanup extraneous volumes or partitions with disk utility, after installing the Catalina public beta.

I was just about to run the Mojave installer on an extra hdd not used anymore, hoping a new recovery partition/volume would be created on that hdd. However, the Mojave installation started with a notice, indicating a firmware update is required. My response was to bail on the Mojave installation, fearing the firmware "update" would undo something done by the Catalina installation.

Reactions: eighteentee

Adam Chuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
[QUOTE =“ TimothyR734,帖子:27464447,成員:1126371”]
我尚未在HFS上嘗試過此操作,但它可與APFS一起使用打開終端運行此命令,然後重新啟動保留命令R,您應該進入恢復狀態
[/引用]
does it work on MacOS 10.14.6 or not?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Try running this in your terminal in macOS Mojave it worked for me when I was on Mojave

Attachments

• MojaveRecoveryFix.sh.zip
    5 KB · Views: 513

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The command for checking SIP status says I have an unsupported custom configuration and SIP is off. Enabling SIP requires a command executed from within recovery mode.....

just a rather late correction to this, in case it is any help.

It is true that you can only turn SIP off from Revovery, but you can re-enable it from normal boot.

sudo csrutil clear will clear the unsupported config you currently have and restore SIP to default, which is on.

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
just a rather late correction to this, in case it is any help.

It is true that you can only turn SIP off from Revovery, but you can re-enable it from normal boot.

sudo csrutil clear will clear the unsupported config you currently have and restore SIP to default, which is on.
Tried but no success. sIP still disabled. dosdudeprovided explanation.

Totoleheros

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
I have the same problem, I have cloned my internal SSD to a new one but during the cloning, the recovery partition was lost. I have tried the 'MojaveRecoveryFix.sh' script but got this error:

Detecting and mounting APFS Recovery
Unable to find disk for

!!!! ERROR. UNABLE TO CONTUNUE. BYE !!!!

I also tried the trick of CMD+R and a new install but was proposed there to install Maverick!! (yes, I am running a pretty old MBPR 15 Late 2013, so I guess that this is the original OS that is proposed).

Thank you for your help...

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Tried but no success. sIP still disabled. dosdudeprovided explanation.

Sorry for late response....can't see an explanation from anyone called dosdude. Can you give a link?

AFAIK sudo csrutil clear re-enables SIP without needing recovery.

Totoleheros

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
I have the same problem, I have cloned my internal SSD to a new one but during the cloning, the recovery partition was lost. I have tried the 'MojaveRecoveryFix.sh' script but got this error:

Detecting and mounting APFS Recovery
Unable to find disk for

!!!! ERROR. UNABLE TO CONTUNUE. BYE !!!!

I also tried the trick of CMD+R and a new install but was proposed there to install Maverick!! (yes, I am running a pretty old MBPR 15 Late 2013, so I guess that this is the original OS that is proposed).

Thank you for your help...

I found a solution via the terminal:

‘diskutil ap convert /Volumes/HDName’

but that did not create the recovery partition. So, I created à Mojave install USB key and did a reinstall of Mojave. It created a correct structure with the recovery partition now.

LABANA

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi Everyone!

I'm having a bit the same Issue but I don't know how to solve it!

I see on the Terminal with "diskutil list" the Recovery partition but when I try to restart using Cmd+R doesn't work and stay a black screen!

Please check my screenshot and let me know any Ideas!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 20.09.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 20.09.53.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 244

LABANA

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi Guys, I've been trying to find a working Link for the Mojave recovery fix 10.14.6

Can someone please share?

I'm having the same Issues and I'm about to trough the towel...!;-(

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Reactions: LABANA

LABANA

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi Amigo!... Unfortunately I've tried to Install the update from your link but Still not run when I press Cmd+R at Startup! ;-(

Any Idea why's that?... I'm getting crazy... days trying to get this working to proceed with all the Sofwares!

Without it is too risky to install everything and get stocked one day! ;-(

Please help!

ruftytufty

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2005
Berkeley, CA
An update regarding CCC (I was trying to add a recovery partition to an external HD, and came across the reference to using CCC in this thread ...):

CCC can easily add a recovery partition to an external disk, even after cloning, including shrinking an existing volume on that disk, and cloning your existing internal recovery partition. Really easy!

Instructions here: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/cloning-apples-recovery-hd-partition

As someone else mentioned, CCC is free to try for 30 days. But, I highly recommend it as an excellent backup tool. Works great, well supported, and paid upgrades are infrequent. I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied user of many years.

TheUnF

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Latest Security Updated 2020-004 Mojave Recovery HD update download url :

Would like to get detailed help on how to 1) resize APFS volume to make room for a recovery volume 2) create the recovery partition leaving the default boot on MacOS partition.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 with SecUpt 2020-004 on a MacbookPro Early-2011 15" using Dosdude1's Mojave patch.

Reactions: solstice.technology
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.