Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If Mojave is installed using APFS, then you don't need to make room for additional APFS volumes in the APFS container which is where Recovery would go.

Use diskutil list to see your partitions.
Use diskutil apfs to see a list of apfs commands.
Use diskutil apfs list to show apfs info of partitions and volumes.
Right click the diskutil word in Terminal.app and select "Open Man Page" to view all the options of diskutil.
One of the APFS volumes in the Mojave APFS container should have Name: "Recovery" and have role: (Recovery).
Mount a partition using a command like diskutil mount disk1s3 (change the numbers to match those of the Mojave Recovery partition.

The Recovery partition should have files like this:
Code:
10D5CE8C-43FE-43F2-8089-DAEDF6485644
    BaseSystem.chunklist
    BaseSystem.dmg
    boot.efi
    boot.efi.j132ap.im4m
    boot.efi.j137ap.im4m
    boot.efi.j140aap.im4m
    boot.efi.j140kap.im4m
    boot.efi.j174ap.im4m
    boot.efi.j213ap.im4m
    boot.efi.j680ap.im4m
    boot.efi.j780ap.im4m
    boot.efi.x589amludev.im4m
    boot.efi.x589icludev.im4m
    boot.efi.x589iclydev.im4m
    com.apple.Boot.plist
    immutablekernel
    immutablekernel.j132ap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j137ap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j140aap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j140kap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j174ap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j213ap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j680ap.im4m
    immutablekernel.j780ap.im4m
    immutablekernel.x589amludev.im4m
    immutablekernel.x589icludev.im4m
    immutablekernel.x589iclydev.im4m
    PlatformSupport.plist
    prelinkedkernel
    SystemVersion.plist
10D5CE8C-43FE-43F2-8089-DAEDF6485644 is a folder containing all the other files - change the name to match the UUID of the APFS volume that contains the root for the Mojave OS. For example, my Mojave is shown by diskutil apfs list like this:
Code:
    +-> Volume disk6s1 10D5CE8C-43FE-43F2-8089-DAEDF6485644
    |   ---------------------------------------------------
    |   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk6s1 (No specific role)
    |   Name:                      Mojave6 (Case-insensitive)
    |   Mount Point:               /Volumes/Mojave6
    |   Capacity Consumed:         79556395008 B (79.6 GB)
    |   FileVault:                 No

D.Rock

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
I got these errors when I ran the MojaveRecoveryFix provided here.
Does anyone know what is happening?

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 01.58.47.png

I can't enter in Recovery Mode. I tried Cmd + R but it goes directly to Internet Recovery, which never succeeds, receiving an error 1008F. I don't know what else I need to do.

solstice.technology

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
Latest Security Updated 2020-004 Mojave Recovery HD update download url :

Would like to get detailed help on how to 1) resize APFS volume to make room for a recovery volume 2) create the recovery partition leaving the default boot on MacOS partition.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 with SecUpt 2020-004 on a MacbookPro Early-2011 15" using Dosdude1's Mojave patch.
Yep this worked for me.

I had upgraded my Mac Pro 5,1 from High Sierra to Mojave recently having updated the graphics card to an AMD RX580 so as to have both an Mac EFI on the card and full Metal support. Unfortunately the OS upgrade seems to have left the recovery partition as High Sierra or something, which seems not to have graphics support for the RX580. Recovery mode simply booted to a black screen and stayed that way. Did an experiment of swapping out the RX580 with an ancient ATI card and was able to access the recovery mode.

Running the Mojave recovery update linked here has sorted it out and can access recovery mode now.
WARNING: I intially thought it hadn't worked - but patience is required. Booting into recovery mode is slow, and my machine sits at a black screen for an uncomfortably long time before the language selection screen appears.

Checking the recovery volume version:

Bash:
$ diskutil mount Recovery
Volume Recovery on Recovery mounted

$ cat /Volumes/Recovery/11861EDF-6C75-4C74-87EB-FA9BFAE35289/SystemVersion.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
    <string>18G9028</string>
    <key>ProductCopyright</key>
    <string>1983-2021 Apple Inc.</string>
    <key>ProductName</key>
    <string>Mac OS X</string>
    <key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
    <string>10.14.6</string>
    <key>ProductVersion</key>
    <string>10.14.6</string>
    <key>iOSSupportVersion</key>
    <string>13.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

$ diskutil unmount Recovery
Volume Recovery on disk5s3 unmounted

It seems that the content on swcdn.apple.com is constantly changing, and several older links to the Mojave recoveryupdate package which I found before this one turned out to be invalid. Would be useful to know, how are people finding the links in the first place, given that its not possible to simply browse swcdn?

Bartaz

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
Are you sure you don't already have it?

How did you install 10.14.2?

The only two ways I know of checking are:
1. Reboot holding cmd+R keys should boot to Recovery
2. type diskutil list into a Terminal window to see the screenshot attached.

If you really haven't got it this long running thread has all the answers...there are a few options. IMO the easiest is to run the full installer again on top of existing. Won't lose and data or apps or settings.

View attachment 811775
Hello, I'm running macOS Ventura 13.2 on a MacBook Pro 13 inch Early 2015 with OCLP. Typing diskutil in Terminal I can see the recovery partition but holding cmd + R MacBook starts normally ignoring the Recovery... and if I hold cmd + R + Alt/Option it starts in Yosemite Internet Recovery Mode. How can I replace Monterey/Ventura recovery partition? I've tried this https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_recovery using Catalina or Ventura Installers but process returns those errors:

APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Async call initiate
APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Immediate error: A disk with a mount point is required (-69854)
-- Failed to create 10.15.7 Recovery volume on Macintosh HD.
-- Recovery tools returned the following non-zero exit code: 1

Probably because I've to do this in target disk mode using another Mac?

Thank you so much:))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.