Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I have the update and Atmos turned on in settings, but I don’t get the logo when I play music on the HomePod. It sounds like it’s in Atmos, so I wonder if this is a bug. I get the Loseless logo. And if I switch to my AirPods the Atmos logo shows up immediately. Anyone else seeing this?
Yep. What device are you using? What kind of HomePod is it? Are you airplaying from the device to the HomePod or controlling the HomePod from the device?

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
does not work for me
„Losless“ and „Dolby Atmos“ options not visible.
i am on iOS 15.1

Siri is deactivated on my Homepod ( i dont think thats the show stopper)

robgettier

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
I have the update and Atmos turned on in settings, but I don’t get the logo when I play music on the HomePod. It sounds like it’s in Atmos, so I wonder if this is a bug. I get the Loseless logo. And if I switch to my AirPods the Atmos logo shows up immediately. Anyone else seeing this?
I get lossless airplaying from phone. But if I play directly from HomePod I get Dolby Atmos.

kurtfoster

Contributor
Mar 8, 2009
Too bad there isn’t a way to independently adjust Feedback volume. When I whisper to it to do something it still responds louder than I would like. I guess you can’t have everything. That said, I’m still much happier with the HomePod mini than I am with any Amazon Alexa device.

Zoddino

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Does anyone know if macOS Music app with airplay streams in lossless on HomePods? Because I see lossless symbol on the Mac but when controlling HomePods from other devices I see no lossless tag in music app. When streaming from iPhone to HomePods I see lossless all the time. I wanted to make sure it's working from Mac as well.

taltalon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010

Alongside the iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1 updates for iPhone and iPad, Apple has introduced a new 15.1 software update that's designed for the HomePod and the HomePod mini. The ‌HomePod‌ update introduces Lossless Audio and Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio to Apple's smart speakers, bringing them in line with other devices that have supported the features since early 2021.

homepod-lossless-spatial-audio.jpg

The spatial audio feature, officially available only with the full-size HomePod, uses Dolby Atmos to create a richer, more immersive soundstage when listening to songs in the Apple Music catalog that support spatial audio. With Dolby Atmos enabled, the subjective experience is that musical notes are coming from all around you. ‌Meanwhile, Apple Music‌ Lossless provides listeners with higher quality audio in a lossless file format, which is great news for audiophiles and purists.

Before you follow the steps below to enable the feature, make sure your iPhone or iPad is updated to iOS/iPadOS 15.1 or later (Settings -> General -> Software Update). ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our ‌‌HomePod‌‌ update how-to article.

Once that's done, you're ready to enable Dolby Atmos and Apple Lossless like so:
  1. Launch the Home app on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 15.1.
  2. Tap the Home icon in the top-left of the screen (top-left of the main window on iPad).
    Select Home Settings from the dropdown menu.
  3. Under "People," select your named owner profile.
    1enable-apple-lossless-dolby-atmos-ios.jpg

Under "Media," select Apple Music.
    Scroll down and toggle the switches beside Dolby Atmos and Lossless Audio to the green ON position.
    2enable-apple-lossless-dolby-atmos-ios.jpg
Now that you've enabled Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio, you'll be able to enjoy a more immersive audio experience, and if you've enabled Apple Lossless, higher quality music tracks. You can check which songs support the audio effects by looking for the respective logos in the Apple Music interface.

Article Link: iOS 15.1: How to Enable Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio and Apple Lossless on HomePod
Well

Alongside the iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1 updates for iPhone and iPad, Apple has introduced a new 15.1 software update that's designed for the HomePod and the HomePod mini. The ‌HomePod‌ update introduces Lossless Audio and Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio to Apple's smart speakers, bringing them in line with other devices that have supported the features since early 2021.

homepod-lossless-spatial-audio.jpg

The spatial audio feature, officially available only with the full-size HomePod, uses Dolby Atmos to create a richer, more immersive soundstage when listening to songs in the Apple Music catalog that support spatial audio. With Dolby Atmos enabled, the subjective experience is that musical notes are coming from all around you. ‌Meanwhile, Apple Music‌ Lossless provides listeners with higher quality audio in a lossless file format, which is great news for audiophiles and purists.

Before you follow the steps below to enable the feature, make sure your iPhone or iPad is updated to iOS/iPadOS 15.1 or later (Settings -> General -> Software Update). ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our ‌‌HomePod‌‌ update how-to article.

Once that's done, you're ready to enable Dolby Atmos and Apple Lossless like so:
  1. Launch the Home app on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 15.1.
  2. Tap the Home icon in the top-left of the screen (top-left of the main window on iPad).
    Select Home Settings from the dropdown menu.
  3. Under "People," select your named owner profile.
    1enable-apple-lossless-dolby-atmos-ios.jpg

Under "Media," select Apple Music.
    Scroll down and toggle the switches beside Dolby Atmos and Lossless Audio to the green ON position.
    2enable-apple-lossless-dolby-atmos-ios.jpg
Now that you've enabled Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio, you'll be able to enjoy a more immersive audio experience, and if you've enabled Apple Lossless, higher quality music tracks. You can check which songs support the audio effects by looking for the respective logos in the Apple Music interface.

Article Link: iOS 15.1: How to Enable Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio and Apple Lossless on HomePod
Well it works fine with iOS 15.1 but when I try from macOS Monterey's Music App - it never sends the Dolby Atmos version. shows always Lossless Audio... I'm on a Mac MINI M1 with the now released Monterey 12.0.1

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
HomePod Mini also supports Atmos music, the option was there under my Home app and when I ask the Mini to play Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory it is clearly the Atmos version playing as it sounds significantly different to the regular stereo version.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
HomePod Mini also supports Atmos music, the option was there under my Home app and when I ask the Mini to play Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory it is clearly the Atmos version playing as it sounds significantly different to the regular stereo version.
Further to my previous comment though, the music app on the iPhone when connected to the Mini doesn’t show the Atmos icon but it is definitely the Atmos version playing just by listening to it.

troublador

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
Does anyone know if macOS Music app with airplay streams in lossless on HomePods? Because I see lossless symbol on the Mac but when controlling HomePods from other devices I see no lossless tag in music app. When streaming from iPhone to HomePods I see lossless all the time. I wanted to make sure it's working from Mac as well.
Check the preferences in the Music app. Preferences – Playback – Audio Quality. There's a check box to switch lossless on, and separate options for streaming and downloads.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I think the HomePod mini is a bad approach because Siri is nowhere near good enough and neither is the sound….

Wait, what? It sounds as good as the big Echo 4 globe. And I say that as a massive detractor of the HomePod line -- it's sound is phenomenal. That's not one of the cons, even remotely.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Wait, atmos audio only works on the original HomePod? Why are apple still adding features to a discontinued product, much less EXCLUSIVE features?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Why isn't Dolby Atmos on by default? Is there any penalty to having it on, or other reason to leave it off?
Dolby Atmos was on by default for me apparently but why not Lossless ?

Thanks MacRumors, without you I wouldn't even know I now have Lossless + Atmos, and then I wouldn't even know some are disabled, and I wouldn't even know how to activate them.

Talk about a bad user experience...

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It feels to me like there’s someone on the dev team that just loves the old HomePod and makes sure to keep including new features for it.

I think you're right. When the original HomePod was released, the Stanford Shopping Center Apple Store in Palo Alto had a special event, with members of the development team there to answer questions. I ended up taking to the guy that systems-architected the beamforming signal processing and adaptive equalization that makes HomePod unique and sound great in different/challenging acoustic environments. Myself being interested in beamforming in the RF domain, we had a nice technical conversation. It was clear he was passionate about the product and saw long-term potential.

Though just conjecture, I still believe Apple is cooking up a premium HomePod for a future release.

disquieted

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Chicago
can you have homepods on 15 and ios on 14 will there be any issues?
I suspect you are asking if you can have HomePods on 15 and iPhone on 14. In that case, presumably, you will not have the option in the home app on iPhone 14 to turn on lossless for HomePod; not sure if there would be other issues as well.

Reactions: nightflight82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.