Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonbones

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
damn... i may have to buy a second HomePod at a premium. my one sounds even better now and i don't really hear of apple making a HomePod 2....

nightflight82

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Australia
I suspect you are asking if you can have HomePods on 15 and iPhone on 14. In that case, presumably, you will not have the option in the home app on iPhone 14 to turn on lossless for HomePod; not sure if there would be other issues as well.
exactly what I wanted to know....thanks ? I will hold off then a bit longer

mdellepi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Germany
It feels to me like there’s someone on the dev team that just loves the old HomePod and makes sure to keep including new features for it.
Or, more likely, the original HomePod has been discontinued because producing it would have been not profitable for Apple, but, given the existence of the Mini, supporting both with new updates is not costing a penny more.

And I'm so happy! I have a HomePod since launch (living in Italy, bought it in Germany), and I was able to finally get support for Italian last month given the release of the Mini in my country (the big one was never released here)!

ldj3

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Very buggy.
On iPhone over the phone speaker it shows the lossless logo. If I then stream it to a pair of stereo HomePod mini’s it disappears. If I go to control the stereo HomePod mini’s the logo re-appears.
But with a pair of old large HomePods that are paired with the newest appleTV I can’t get the lossless logo to appear no matter how I play it (direct or streamed).
I can’t be bothered to now also check what’s shows up on the aTV if I play music directly from there, but this is already annoying.
Some way to know exactly what is playing at what quality would be nice. If I flip the toggle for lossless in the home app while it’s all
Playing I don’t hear any difference or interruption.

Then there is the question on CarPlay? Am I getting lossless there?

abracadaver

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2021
Would you need a stereo pair of HomePods to really get the Atmos effect? I can't really tell a difference, which is sort of what I expected with just the one. Anyone have a track suggestion that does a great job of showcasing Atmos on a single HomePod?

Reactions: xmach

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I have a stereo paired OG Homepods.
I see Hi-Res Lossless but when I play a Dolby Atmos song (Start Me Up - Tattoo You Deluxe) No Dolby Logo.
Is it just me?

xmach

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2020
I have a stereo paired OG Homepods.
I see Hi-Res Lossless but when I play a Dolby Atmos song (Start Me Up - Tattoo You Deluxe) No Dolby Logo.
Is it just me?
How do you know if any given song (for example, Start Me Up) is available with Dolby Atmos sound? I don't see any indication of this in iTunes or the Music.app

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
This article is incorrect and should be updated to state that the Homepod Mini doesn’t in fact support Dolby Atmos.

You can test this yourself by playing a Dolby Atmos song on your iphone and then the homepod mini. the iphone playing now screen will show the Dolby Atmos logo and and the Homepod Mini playing now screen will not.

Apple claims it’s supported but like everything else, it’s been poorly implemented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.