Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Hey guys quick question, I've been trying to use Hulu Plus to airplay to my apple tv but it's not working. I haven't read the thread but is it necessary to jailbreak in order to get Hulu Plus on your apple tv? I would read through it, but I'm watching the daily show, jon stewart cracks me up!!
This thread is not about that: it is about watching Hulo on an ATV natively and not via Airplay.

Airplay to ATV does not require a jailbreak but the Hulu app on iOS does not support regular video Airplay from within the App. The only way I can make it work is via Airplay mirroring. To do that you need iPad 2 or iPhone 4S (or 3rd generation iPad).

That said Airplay mirroring is a heck of a lot easier than getting the jailbreak to work.

Michael

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
time

sorry if this is a duplicate question..but I cant seem to figure out how to change the time to CST in XBMC, anyone done this yet?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
How about changing celsius to farenheit? How can I change that for the weather app in XBMC?

EDIT: I was half asleep when I answered this. I thought you said what does it have to do with Celcius.

Sorry, my reply didn't make sense because of it.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Is anyone having a problem resuming from pause in XBMC for Internet streams such as Hulu? I can pause a video stored on my networked drive for over 24 hours and there is no issue. On an internet stream it will crash the stream back to the menu, or crash XBMC itself, if I pause for more than 10 sec or so. Very very frustrating.

In other news XBMC is really causing me to come VERY close to killing satellite. As I type this I am watching a live news channel, that I can't even get with my sat subscription (without paying for it plus another 50 channels I don't want).

Michael

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Is anyone having a problem resuming from pause in XBMC for Internet streams such as Hulu? I can pause a video stored on my networked drive for over 24 hours and there is no issue. On an internet stream it will crash the stream back to the menu, or crash XBMC itself, if I pause for more than 10 sec or so. Very very frustrating.

I don't pause that often, but I'm pretty sure that I've paused for more than a couple minutes without trouble. You might try updating your Hulu plugin via the settings-->add-ons menus. Or, if the problem is XBMC-wide, update XBMC itself.

In other news XBMC is really causing me to come VERY close to killing satellite. As I type this I am watching a live news channel, that I can't even get with my sat subscription (without paying for it plus another 50 channels I don't want).
l

Kill it. I assure you, you won't regret it. Any content you want that isn't obvious how to get, you can find a way. (free cable plugin, Hulu plugin, airplay mirror your computer, maybe there's an app on the ipad/iphone, etc.)

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Two questions:

1. How can I resolve the issue of the video being accelerated while the audio is playing at standard speed (usually happens in FreeCable plugin)?
- I have closed out of XBMC to reset, but it still happens -- not always

2. I am having to press play in the Hulu plugin 3 times (first time I get the standard network commercial and then it kicks out to menu; same thing second time; third time it plays standard network commercial then starts the show). I turned off intro commercials, which then prevented the show from starting period.

Any advice/solutions/similar issues?

Thanks!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Two questions:

1. How can I resolve the issue of the video being accelerated while the audio is playing at standard speed (usually happens in FreeCable plugin)?
- I have closed out of XBMC to reset, but it still happens -- not always

2. I am having to press play in the Hulu plugin 3 times (first time I get the standard network commercial and then it kicks out to menu; same thing second time; third time it plays standard network commercial then starts the show). I turned off intro commercials, which then prevented the show from starting period.

Any advice/solutions/similar issues?

Thanks!

Sorry, can't help you with the first issue. I do have the problem on HULU sometimes after I pause a show, but I rewind the show a few seconds and it fixes it.

As for your second issue I only have that problem with some shows. Yesterday actually. I tried to play "The Voice" and it took more than 3 tries to get it to play. There are plenty of shows that work fine.

So far the only time I've had that issues is with "The Voice" and "The River"

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Just wondering if there was an easier way. I do have an iPhone 4s but mirroring doesn't display as nice an image fit to the screen as does AirPlay of a video such as from YouTube. I think it's easier for me to just use the PS3 version until/and if apple ever allows Hulu to be on their apple tv.

This thread is not about that: it is about watching Hulo on an ATV natively and not via Airplay.

Airplay to ATV does not require a jailbreak but the Hulu app on iOS does not support regular video Airplay from within the App. The only way I can make it work is via Airplay mirroring. To do that you need iPad 2 or iPhone 4S (or 3rd generation iPad).

That said Airplay mirroring is a heck of a lot easier than getting the jailbreak to work.

Michael

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Just wondering if there was an easier way. I do have an iPhone 4s but mirroring doesn't display as nice an image fit to the screen as does AirPlay of a video such as from YouTube. I think it's easier for me to just use the PS3 version until/and if apple ever allows Hulu to be on their apple tv.

The most convenient way is to jailbreak your apple tv and install hulu. Though it does take a little bit of work on your part to make it happen. Once it's up, you're good to go.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

If you follow the insturctions in this thread it should only take about 20 minutes and half of that will be just sitting in front of iTunes waiting for it to reload the firmware.
:)

jalo215

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
when I type apt-get update I receive a message that states:

E: type http://apt.awkwardtv.org./ is not know on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

And from looks of things it doesn't allow to do anything else, I tried apt-get upgrade and I get same message

Any ideas what's going on here?

macbook
atv2 4.4.3

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
As others have said it is not too big a job to just jailbreak the ATV and get XBMC/Hulu.

It's not just Hulu: XBMC basically changes the ATV into a new device. No more being married to iTunes for content. Even outside of XBMC the very handy Media app seems to handle local content very well. Heck it and XBMC do a better job than my iPhone and iPad solutions that do not work nearly as well (Air PlayIt and ZumoCast--both needing helper apps running on a host pc or mac).

Michael

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
As others have said it is not too big a job to just jailbreak the ATV and get XBMC/Hulu.

It's not just Hulu: XBMC basically changes the ATV into a new device. No more being married to iTunes for content. Even outside of XBMC the very handy Media app seems to handle local content very well. Heck it and XBMC do a better job than my iPhone and iPad solutions that do not work nearly as well (Air PlayIt and ZumoCast--both needing helper apps running on a host pc or mac).

Michael

I wonder if it's an issue that he's on 4.4.3.

I tried to jailbreak my fathers on 4.4.2 the other day and it failed in itunes. I think it was that Apple didn't sign off on the version, maybe because 5.0 is out there now.

I decided to take my fathers and trade it with one of mine.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Cool, I'm going to have to do that sometime next week. I'm looking forward to the AirPlay feature coming to the macbook pro's in os x mountain lion too! :D
If you follow the insturctions in this thread it should only take about 20 minutes and half of that will be just sitting in front of iTunes waiting for it to reload the firmware.
:)

----------

Will have to try it next week. Thanks! :D
The most convenient way is to jailbreak your apple tv and install hulu. Though it does take a little bit of work on your part to make it happen. Once it's up, you're good to go.

----------

I wish there was a way to mirror your screen from a macbook pro to the apple tv, i know that mountain lion is supposed to be able to do this but was hoping for something sooner than August/September (Late Summer release expected for Mountain Lion), any solutions?

Michael

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hulu's acting weird for me all of a sudden in that when it would normally stop for a commercial break (I have the commercials set to zero) when it comes back -- it skips an entire segment of the TV show.
I get the intro and the opening credits, then it skips the first commercial break and plays maybe the next 10 minutes of the show, then it skips the second commercial break, but then when it starts playing again it's playing the last 10 minutes of the show. After that is usually one more skipped commercial break and then the end credits.
The whole middle of the show is missing.
Happened for 3 out of the 5 available 30 Rock shows.
Anyone else seeing this?

Kurgan0

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Hey guys,
hulu works fine on my Macbook.

After succesfully installed the plugin on XBMC I only get commericals - over and over again - using latest version from bluecop (and just ordinary hulu, not hulu-plus)

Changed several times the commercial-settings but that hasn't change anything. Network's openers and commecials in great HD-quality, but no shows.

It's quite sad after beeing very happy about the succesfull jailbreak which I did for the hulu-option only.

Does anyone know the problem or have any suggestions? Reading the whole thread didn't help me with this special kinda problem - thanks a lot for any help

Kurgan0

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Have you tried rebooting the ATV?

sure, rebooted it several times - but still I'm getting only the network-intro followed by common adds mixed with hulu and hulu-plus adds - repeatedly

if I disable the adds in the settings I'm just getting the network-inro

tried different shows, always the same

using eden 11.0 and bluecop version 3.4.5 - no further update announced as far as I know..

Kurgan0

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Update:

Obviously got a solution without having ANY clue why that seems to work:

Changing some further settings - randomly - and tried the 3 different options offered at "Default CDN":

While "limelight" and "level3" don't work the "akamai"- setting works!! Repeated and tried that again, this kinda solution appears to be reproducible.

(and: I have to disable the network-intro, otherwise it stops again after without playing the episode)

Could someone explain what that setting is about and why "akamai" may work - and the others don't ?

I'm so happy that hulu appears to work now - but honestly I've been just very lucky without really knowing what I've done ... :confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.