Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
I found an easier solution, I just got a Roku box. Jailbreaking my ATV and ATV2 was not simple and each update necessitated rejailbreaking. Now I keep the ATV2 in the family room and the Roku Box in the home theater. It can't do AirPlay or stream iTunes but I have a MacMini HTPC there anyway.

More power to all of you though and please don't misconstrue this as a negative view on Jailbreaking. I just needed a simple solution that just worked.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I found an easier solution, I just got a Roku box. Jailbreaking my ATV and ATV2 was not simple and each update necessitated rejailbreaking. Now I keep the ATV2 in the family room and the Roku Box in the home theater. It can't do AirPlay or stream iTunes but I have a MacMini HTPC there anyway.

More power to all of you though and please don't misconstrue this as a negative view on Jailbreaking. I just needed a simple solution that just worked.
I tend to agree with you. I have 2 Apple TV 2's and 1 Apple TV 3 and 1 Roku Box. My Roku is in my TV Room where I have the Apple TV 3. I had just about decided to try the Jailbreak when I got the Apple TV 3 but it does not support it yet. If they come out with a Jailbreak for the Apple TV 3 before Apple decides to allow more Apps (content) to be added then I will try the Jailbreak reluctantly. Additionally, I have a lot of DRM iTunes Movies so I will want to use the Apple TV as my primary non-cable source for content.

Kurgan0

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Update:

Obviously got a solution without having ANY clue why that seems to work:

Changed some settings - randomly - and tried the 3 different options offered at "Default CDN":

While "limelight" and "level3" don't work the "akamai"- setting works!! Repeated and tried that again, this kinda solution appears to be reproducible.

(and: I have to disable the network-intro, otherwise it stops again after without playing the episode)

Could someone explain what that setting is about and why "akamai" may work - and the others don't ?

Really nobody? Any suggestion?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008

Glad this works for you.

I'll just point out that while Roku enables Hulu Plus, it does NOT allow FREE Hulu.

The Jailbroken Apple TV solution enables both. (That's why I use it, since I don't want to pay for a Hulu Plus subscription just to watch Hulu content that is available for free on the web.) In fact, as far as I know, a Jailbroken Apple TV is the ONLY way to watch free Hulu on your TV using a set top box (excluding simply mirroring your computer screen to your TV).

Also note one more thing: When OS 10.8 Mountain Lion comes out this summer, it will be possible to Airplay Mirror your mac's screen to the Apple TV. This may meet some people's needs if they only watch web-based TV content occasionally, since it doesn't require a jailbreak (convenient!) but is not as user-friendly as navigating Hulu from the couch (less convenient).

teammorales

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Can't SSH!

On Step 5, I keep getting the following reply on Terminal and I can't get past the step. I have copied and pasted the verbiage and put my IP address in. Any ideas?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
9e:93:47:4a:36:85:f3:66:da:46:b7:81:42:3d:fb:17.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/mikenelisha/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /Users/mikenelisha/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 10.0.0.6 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

Or I get:

Could not resolve hostname \342\200\223l: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
On Step 5, I keep getting the following reply on Terminal and I can't get past the step. I have copied and pasted the verbiage and put my IP address in. Any ideas?

@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
9e:93:47:4a:36:85:f3:66:da:46:b7:81:42:3d:fb:17.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/mikenelisha/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /Users/mikenelisha/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 10.0.0.6 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

Thanks!

Mike

Run this command:
Code:
rm ~/.ssh/known_hosts
and you'll be able to SSH into the AppleTV again.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Does this still work? I only read the first page and the last... but earlier I read that bluecop add on stopped working on a different thread.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I highly recommend that you watch the video to get a good idea of what this all involves. The steps may seem like a lot, but you can honestly do this in 10-15 minutes tops. It’s extremely easy, and well worth it. Not only do you get Hulu, but you get Amazon, ESPN, and a boatload of other content..

(which video?)

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Updated my ATV 2 to 5.0.2 and re-jailbroke it. This tutorial worked again. Thank you again!

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Updated my ATV 2 to 5.0.2 and re-jailbroke it. This tutorial worked again. Thank you again!

Glad to hear it! I haven't messed with this in several months since my setup is working fine so far. I do have an ATV2 that is NOT jailbroken on the latest firmware, and saw that SeasonPass now does an untethered jailbreak on that latest firmware (the one with the candy-colored icons). Good to know the process still works.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
So I just did this process for my "other" ATV2 which was updated to 5.0.2, and indeed the process still works just fine. The latest version of SeasonPass provides untethered jailbreak for the latest version of ATV2 firmware. All is right in the world.

Note: I also came across this site which has an easier way to install a variety of add-ons, including bluecop's repository, directly from within XBMC, without having to file transfer from your computer or use the command line. Check it out here: http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/fusion-easy-addon-installation-for-xbmc/
Those instructions effectively can be used INSTEAD of steps 11-18 in the original post. I've edited the first post to mention this as well.

Using this would mean the only time you would need to use the command line would be to install nitoTV immediately after jailbreaking with SeasonPass. After that you could use NitoTV to install XBMC "from the couch" on the ATV2 interface itself, and then use the fusion easy addon url to install bluecop's repository from within XBMC. This reduces the amount of command-line (or even GUI FTP program) work required, and hopefully this makes it easier for some folks. The fusion system in the link above also allows you to install other repositories aside from blue cop. I haven't tried this myself yet, so please post a confirmation if you do and it works.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
So I just did this process for my "other" ATV2 which was updated to 5.0.2, and indeed the process still works just fine. The latest version of SeasonPass provides untethered jailbreak for the latest version of ATV2 firmware. All is right in the world.

Note: I also came across this site which has an easier way to install a variety of add-ons, including bluecop's repository, directly from within XBMC, without having to file transfer from your computer or use the command line. Check it out here: http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/fusion-easy-addon-installation-for-xbmc/
Those instructions effectively can be used INSTEAD of steps 11-18 in the original post. I've edited the first post to mention this as well.

Using this would mean the only time you would need to use the command line would be to install nitoTV immediately after jailbreaking with SeasonPass. After that you could use NitoTV to install XBMC "from the couch" on the ATV2 interface itself, and then use the fusion easy addon url to install bluecop's repository from within XBMC. This reduces the amount of command-line (or even GUI FTP program) work required, and hopefully this makes it easier for some folks. The fusion system in the link above also allows you to install other repositories aside from blue cop. I haven't tried this myself yet, so please post a confirmation if you do and it works.
On a mac you don't need to use the command line at all, even for nitoTV. The app nito installer will do it and can be run right after the SeasonPass jailbreak:
http://jailbreak-apple-tv.googlecode.com/files/nitoInstaller.zip

It can also install XBMC and even add-ons:
Screen-Shot-2012-08-11-at-1.38.49-PM.jpg

More:
http://www.jailbreakappletv.com/blo...y-to-install-xbmc-to-your-apple-tv-2-for-mac/

Michael

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
On a mac you don't need to use the command line at all, even for nitoTV. The app nito installer will do it and can be run right after the SeasonPass jailbreak:
http://jailbreak-apple-tv.googlecode.com/files/nitoInstaller.zip
More:
http://www.jailbreakappletv.com/blo...y-to-install-xbmc-to-your-apple-tv-2-for-mac/

Wonderful!

It looks like there have been multiple efforts to streamline this process since this thread was posted 8 months ago!

Perhaps it's time to post a "quickest, easiest way to enable Hulu on ATV2" thread incorporating only the Seasonpass (to jailbreak) --> app Nito installer (to install XBMC) --> and maybe the fusion add-on installer (if that provides more add-ons than does app Nito installer. If not than maybe just Seasonpass and app Nito installer are all that is required any more.

This would require zero command-line use, and open up the process to a much broader audience.

Now that I used my bedroom ATV2 to test the process at firmware 5.0.2, and since that works, I will probably upgrade my living room ATV2 from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2, then re-jailbrake. I'll try this slimmed down, GUI process.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
This would require zero command-line use, and open up the process to a much broader audience.

Now that I used my bedroom ATV2 to test the process at firmware 5.0.2, and since that works, I will probably upgrade my living room ATV2 from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2, then re-jailbrake. I'll try this slimmed down, GUI process.
That is what I did with an ATV2 in my kitchen. I wanted to use Airplay with my mb air so just went ahead and updated to the latest firmware, killing my jailbreak.

I didn't plan on fooling around with jb'ing it till I came across the nito Install app which seemed to make it about as painless as jb'ing an iPhone. Indeed it was! :)

Michael

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
actually none of the add ons work. I see this message (see attached photo) every time i try to access them.

Regarding the "script errors" that have been plaguing people:

"Error: Script failed: plugin.video.hulu"

I messed with my system a bit last night (after a long time of letting sleeping dogs lie). I noticed my bedroom ATV2 was having this error consistently, but only for Hulu (Free Cable was working fine). Apparently it's been having this problem for months, but I didn't notice because we rarely watch our bedroom TV any more.

Anyway, what solved it for me was the following:

-In XBMC, go to System --> Add-ons --> video add-ons --> enabled plugins --> Hulu

-Go to "configure".
-Go to the tab that lets you control your Hulu login information. Select "disable hulu login".

After I did this, I exited out of XBMC and got back into it. Now I no longer got the script error and could see lists of Hulu content, BUT when I tried to actually play a show, all I would get would be the NBC (or ABC, or whatever network) intro (a 3 second promo for the network), and then get booted back to XBMC. So, to fix this, I went back to the same system-configure screen mentioned above, went to the tab that controls how many ads you will allow, set the ads to zero and set the "network intros" to zero. Exited out of XBMC and back in, and now Hulu works fine.

So, to sum up:

-My "script failed" error was apparently being caused by my login/password being incorrect. It would be nice if it would tell you that in the error message, but instead it just tells you the script failed. I didn't troubleshoot why my login credentials weren't working, but disabling them altogether solved my problem, since all I use is Free Hulu. If you use Hulu Plus just make sure your credentials are correct. (On the other hand, if you use Hulu Plus, just use the Apple TV's now-built-in Hulu Plus app. No XBMC needed for that.)

-Make sure you set all ads and "network intros" to zero.

Last edited:

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I have modified the original post to reflect a much simpler process for jailbreaking and enabling Hulu, Amazon, and Free Cable. Confirmed to work (on my two Apple TV 2's) as of Feb 25, 2013.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have modified the original post to reflect a much simpler process for jailbreaking and enabling Hulu, Amazon, and Free Cable. Confirmed to work (on my two Apple TV 2's) as of Feb 25, 2013.

Hi, I tried to remove the ads on Hulu and gave me an error loading, so I put the ads back to default and hulu just keeps playing ads continuously w/out ever getting to the actual video. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

----

Also, I don't use Nito in any of my XBMC devices, I use XBMCHub Wizard for iOS and mac and XAF on my android tablet.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Hi, I tried to remove the ads on Hulu and gave me an error loading, so I put the ads back to default and hulu just keeps playing ads continuously w/out ever getting to the actual video. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

Not sure. Sounds sort of like my comment #217 above. Have you tried removing your Hulu login information from the "configure" screen? That seemed to work for me when I was having problems getting the shows to play. That was on the 4.4.4 firmware though.

I am currently running the 5.2 firmware, without Hulu login credentials, and with all ads set to zero. The shows play no problem for me.

Last edited:

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I have tried jailbreaking my aTV 2 several times with Seas0nPass and everything seems to work fine, but once I hook it back up I don't get the FireCore logo on the settings app. I went ahead and tried to use the Nito installer app anyway and it also says that my aTV is not jailbroken.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of what else I could try?

Thanks!

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I have tried jailbreaking my aTV 2 several times with Seas0nPass and everything seems to work fine, but once I hook it back up I don't get the FireCore logo on the settings app. I went ahead and tried to use the Nito installer app anyway and it also says that my aTV is not jailbroken.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of what else I could try?

Need more information about your jailbreak process to help:

-What happens when you are using SeasonPass with the Apple TV hooked up to your computer? Do you get any error messages?

-When Seasonpass finishes making a custom .ipsw file and states that iTunes will restore the device. . . does iTunes actually do that, or does it instead do nothing? (See the original post which addresses this problem)

conwayboys

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
The force update instruction

If you use the force update instruction you do not need to reboot xmbc simply wait a few minutes until the force update is complete, I suggest the hang described was becuase it was still updating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.