Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hey,

I have all these social app (Discord, Telegram, etc.) and it's taking too much space in my dock. But I want them directly accessible so the launchpad is not an option for me.

Is there a way to group applications anywhere in the dock the same way we can create groups/folders in the launchpad?

1) I tried to create a folder and place app shortcuts in it. I have to place the folder on the right of the dock though and not where I want. But this is not the worse. When I launch an app, it still creates its corresponding active app icon in the dock. So no gain here. It would have been ok if the app add stayed inside the stack folder.
Is there a way to do it?

2) OR is there an app that would just create a single container in the dock to display other apps? How weird macOS does not do this natively...

3) I tried all-in-one IM app like Franz. Sounded like a treat. But unfortunately, it immediately became the least battery-friendly app. With Franz, my MBP went from 9 hours of autonomy to 5 hours. Removed Franz, back to 9h.

Any help?
Thanks!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
1) I think you're stuck with all that. It's just the way it works, and it would be quite a hack to change it. However, the "gain" is that only the one(s) that you're in will show up in the Dock, so if you aren't in them all all the time, there won't be as many icons taking up space. (to state the obvious)
2-3) Can't really speak to these.

Someone is bound to suggest using Spotlight, although I do not use it to launch apps. But, as you might know, you just click the magnifying glass icon and type the first couple of letters of the app's name, then click on the one from the list that you want to open. You'll still have the active app icon Dock issue, of course.

What I do to limit Dock congestion is place aliases to Utility apps along the left edge of my Desktop. All my Drives are on the right side, and aliases to a couple of folders. Again, the other issue remains.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
1) I think you're stuck with all that. It's just the way it works, and it would be quite a hack to change it. However, the "gain" is that only the one(s) that you're in will show up in the Dock, so if you aren't in them all all the time, there won't be as many icons taking up space. (to state the obvious)
2-3) Can't really speak to these.

Someone is bound to suggest using Spotlight, although I do not use it to launch apps. But, as you might know, you just click the magnifying glass icon and type the first couple of letters of the app's name, then click on the one from the list that you want to open. You'll still have the active app icon Dock issue, of course.

What I do to limit Dock congestion is place aliases to Utility apps along the left edge of my Desktop. All my Drives are on the right side, and aliases to a couple of folders. Again, the other issue remains.

Thanks for your input. That's also what my Google investigations led me to. Maybe someone has another idea... Grouping apps doesn't seem to be that complicated though. Unfortunately, I really have 6+ social/IM apps opened at the same time between pro and personal use.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Why don't you just create a dock folder and put aliases of whatever you want in there and name it whatever you like. Personally I don't see how launchpad is useful for anything at all.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Why don't you just create a dock folder and put aliases of whatever you want in there and name it whatever you like. Personally I don't see how launchpad is useful for anything at all.

Hey, thanks for the input. I think you may have missed the point. I have no intention to use launchpad as a workaround for my issue.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
You can create your stack/folder on the right side of the dock as you've explained, and turn off (in System Preferences -> Dock) the option to show recent apps. You still can't put your app folder/stack elsewhere in the dock, but it seems to solve the problem you've described here of the recently used/currently open app icons still appearing in the dock.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
You can create your stack/folder on the right side of the dock as you've explained, and turn off (in System Preferences -> Dock) the option to show recent apps. You still can't put your app folder/stack elsewhere in the dock, but it seems to solve the problem you've described here of the recently used/currently open app icons still appearing in the dock.

Actually, it doesn't. I have deactivated that option. Say you have 5 apps in the folder you created on the right side of the dock, when you open those 5 apps they will appear as individual app icons on the left side of the dock. So I only save place in the dock when apps are not launched, but as soon as they are, the dock is as cluttered as before. I'd like to have OPENED apps STACKED in a dock folder.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Actually, it doesn't. I have deactivated that option. Say you have 5 apps in the folder you created on the right side of the dock, when you open those 5 apps they will appear as individual app icons on the left side of the dock. So I only save place in the dock when apps are not launched, but as soon as they are, the dock is as cluttered as before. I'd like to have OPENED apps STACKED in a dock folder.
This is where "Dock Dodger" shines. I lets you hide the icon of any running app from the Dock.
It's an old app but still works without a hitch for me in Mojave.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24427/dock-dodger

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I use an app called Bevy. Does everything you want to do.
Thanks, but watched a video on YT and when an app is launched, it appears outside Bevy in the dock, thus taking place there.
[doublepost=1548954422][/doublepost]
This is where "Dock Dodger" shines. I lets you hide the icon of any running app from the Dock.
It's an old app but still works without a hitch for me in Mojave.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24427/dock-dodger

Thanks for sharing this. I tried with WhatsApp and Telegram desktop versions, but they would no longer launch after being "undocked" by "Dock Dodger" :(
I'm also under Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.