Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Today I just open my mac mini Late 2009 and I wnat to upgrade 4G memory to 8G, I got beep sound after I replaced new memory. I want to know if the memory has problem or my firmware is lower, does anyone help me?
By the way, mac mini firmware version is MM31.00AD.B00.

ScreenShot2023-11-14at21.00.13.png

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I got message "This computer does not need this update" when I run the macminiFEIupdate.pkg. does this mean the new memory has some issue?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe the memory is not compatible with your mini?
You said you get a beep when you try to boot.
Is that just one beep that repeats - or do you get 3 beeps, and 3 beeps repeat every few seconds?
If you are sure the memory that you added is correct, be sure to try reseating the RAM, so it is seated properly, or insert just one chip, as a test, if that boots successfully, move that one chip to the other slot. If that continues to work, add the second chip.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Today I just open my mac mini Late 2009 and I wnat to upgrade 4G memory to 8G, I got beep sound after I replaced new memory. I want to know if the memory has problem or my firmware is lower, does anyone help me?
By the way, mac mini firmware version is MM31.00AD.B00.

View attachment 2330645

PCs in this era are quite picky about RAM.
I got an HP Compaq 8000 USDT which refused to boot with DDR 1600 or low voltage (1.35V) ram. It only accepts DDR3 1333 or 1066, the normal voltage (1.5V) type.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have purchased ram from this eBay vendor before for my Early 2009 Mac Mini. Below are two links to the vendor's offering for 8GB (2x 4GB). Both links should work, but I'd try the first one.

-- Mod's, I am not the vendor and these are not my items. I am not selling anything. --

Reactions: B S Magnet

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Though I returened memory and buy new one, now I know that memory is no any problems! I tried new memory but I got the same result as past, the sound beep every 5 seconds! I also tried only bottom slot, the result is the same! Then I tried top slot, that is OK! at last I insert original 2G to bottom and new 4G to top, that is what I have 6G memory!
Does anyone has similar experience? does firmware MM31.00AD.B00 only use 6G max memory?

Attachments

• screenshot 2024-01-01 11.33.25.jpg
    screenshot 2024-01-01 11.33.25.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 11.41.05.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 11.41.05.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 26

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is that one beep every 5 seconds?
Or 5 beeps that repeat every 5 seconds
One beep every 5 seconds means that the RAM is not recognized at all.
5 beeps that repeat means that the RAM is recognized, but does not pass the power-on test.
Try reversing the memory - 4GB in the bottom, and 2GB in the top
If you get memory to work in both slots at the same time, then reversing those chips should also work.
I think that you still have a problem with seating the chips in the slots, as both slots appear to be working, AND even if only 6GB is working, then the same chips should work in the other slots (4GB in the lower slot, and 2GB in the upper slot.
I cannot find any information that is any different. I think your Mac mini should support 2x4GB chips to give you a total of 8GB installed. That should work.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Is that one beep every 5 seconds?
Or 5 beeps that repeat every 5 seconds
One beep every 5 seconds means that the RAM is not recognized at all.
5 beeps that repeat means that the RAM is recognized, but does not pass the power-on test.
Try reversing the memory - 4GB in the bottom, and 2GB in the top
If you get memory to work in both slots at the same time, then reversing those chips should also work.
I think that you still have a problem with seating the chips in the slots, as both slots appear to be working, AND even if only 6GB is working, then the same chips should work in the other slots (4GB in the lower slot, and 2GB in the upper slot.
I cannot find any information that is any different. I think your Mac mini should support 2x4GB chips to give you a total of 8GB installed. That should work.
It might be one beep every 5 seconds...
Both 4GBs doesn't work in the bottom, but both work in the top slot, I tried again and again....
I also found this article mac mini not booting up with 8GB memory after 10.7.2 update, they had the same problmes as mine.
It is also said the brand (Micron, Hynix, Nanya) might work, but I am using non-brand memory, I am not sure if this is the problems, is this possible?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's a familiar story, many Macs are known to be a challenge to find memory that is accepted by that Mac.
You may find a fix if you try a different source for your memory. One choice is one of those brands that you listed, rather than some generic, no-name memory. I usually am more positive about a memory purchase, when the manufacturer or the seller make a point of mentioning that they either made that memory specifically for a Mac, or they say that the memory was tested on a Mac. Let us know how it goes... Good Luck!

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
It's a familiar story, many Macs are known to be a challenge to find memory that is accepted by that Mac.
You may find a fix if you try a different source for your memory. One choice is one of those brands that you listed, rather than some generic, no-name memory. I usually am more positive about a memory purchase, when the manufacturer or the seller make a point of mentioning that they either made that memory specifically for a Mac, or they say that the memory was tested on a Mac. Let us know how it goes... Good Luck!
I also found people bought memory for Mac ti upgrade 8GB to 16GB on iMac Late 2009, he met the same as me, bottom slot only spoort 2G so that he got 12GB at last. It is too dificult to test diffenemt memory, I Decided to give up testing and receive the true:(
Next I want to replace optical drive to SSD, do you have any advise?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Changing the optical drive to a second hard drive/SSD is not too difficult, but you need the interconnect board that provides a standard SATA connector for the second hard drive. The one that connects to the optical drive will not connect to a hard drive. It's not hard to find. Search for Apple's part number, which is 922-9112
You will also need the dual hard drive carrier (part number 922-9144), you can look on the same site where you can find the interconnect board. In my search, the carrier is harder to find. You might be able to just tape an SSD in place. You won't even notice when the cover is back in place :D (You will definitely need the interconnect board...)
Apple provided those parts to use dual hard drives, in the server model of your mini. The server model also came with a top case without an optical slot. I don't know if you would have any chance of finding one of those.

While you are inside, you could also replace the 15 year-old battery. It should take a CR2032.

Last edited:

ricom2ger

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
It might be one beep every 5 seconds...
Both 4GBs doesn't work in the bottom, but both work in the top slot, I tried again and again....
I also found this article mac mini not booting up with 8GB memory after 10.7.2 update, they had the same problmes as mine.
It is also said the brand (Micron, Hynix, Nanya) might work, but I am using non-brand memory, I am not sure if this is the problems, is this possible?
What are the 4GB RAM stick labels?

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Changing the optical drive to a second hard drive/SSD is not too difficult, but you need the interconnect board that provides a standard SATA connector for the second hard drive. The one that connects to the optical drive will not connect to a hard drive. It's not hard to find. Search for Apple's part number, which is 922-9112
You will also need the dual hard drive carrier (part number 922-9144), you can look on the same site where you can find the interconnect board. In my search, the carrier is harder to find. You might be able to just tape an SSD in place. You won't even notice when the cover is back in place :D (You will definitely need the interconnect board...)
Apple provided those parts to use dual hard drives, in the server model of your mini. The server model also came with a top case without an optical slot. I don't know if you would have any chance of finding one of those.

While you are inside, you could also replace the 15 year-old battery. It should take a CR2032.
I will use 2bd HDD Candy as attachment, I think it is no problems, do you think so?

Attachments

• IMG_8070.png
    IMG_8070.png
    205 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, you can replace the internal HDD with and SSD. That swap does not require a change of any hardware.
Here's an iFixit article that will show you the steps to follow for swapping out the hard drive.

Just curious now -- your screenshot in your first post showed that your hard drive is named SSD500GB, which made me assume that you already have an SSD installed. I guess now that is just what you named it...

Reactions: B S Magnet

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, you can replace the internal HDD with and SSD. That swap does not require a change of any hardware.
Here's an iFixit article that will show you the steps to follow for swapping out the hard drive.

Just curious now -- your screenshot in your first post showed that your hard drive is named SSD500GB, which made me assume that you already have an SSD installed. I guess now that is just what you named it...
That is a USB SSD where I installed Monterey by OCLP, I named it to SSD500GB when I formatted it before installation, it still keep this named even I already change it to Monterey, how do I modify this name in OCLP EFI?
Tomorrow I will upgrade 4GB to 8GB by Hynix memory, then replace internal HDD and optical drive to two STAT SSDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.