Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
TECMIYO only support 2GB(bottom) + 4GB(top), and I will test Timetec Hynix this afternoon.
I tried the new Hynix memory, though I wonder 8GB can be used, I got the same result as past! Only top slot can identify 4GB!I am giving up on the challenge:(
I replaced internal HDD to SSD, now I got "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer", is this normal for a new disk? do I select "Initialize..." to format this disk before I install macOS by OCLP?
By the way, what is better for Monterey/Ventura/Sonoma in my case for your advise?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 11.28.46.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 11.28.46.png
    32 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 11.36.35.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 11.36.35.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 31

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A new SSD, out of the box, is not formatted.
You will notice in Disk Utility, under the model name of the drive- it says "uninitialized", and your first error when booting also says "disk...was not readable...". Everything will be good after you "initialize", or format the drive.
Use the Disk Utility. Erase, using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

I don't know what is wrong with your bottom slot. Try a good NVRAM reset. Try that, using these steps.
Power off, and leave power unplugged for now.
Fill both memory slots - put one 2GB in that bottom slot, and a 4GB in the top slot.
Plug in power.
Press and release the power button, and immediately hold Option-Command-P and R.
You should hear the normal boot chime sound.
Continue to hold those same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime 4 more times. Some refer to this as a "deep reset". Release the keys after that fifth chime, and hold Option to select your boot drive.
Boot normally to your system, then shut down, using the shutdown command in the Apple menu.
Unplug power again. SWAP the memory, so the 4GB is now in the bottom slot, and the same 2GB is in the top slot.
Try to boot, while holding the Option key, so you should get the boot-picker screen.
If you get there, and you can choose your boot drive, do that, let it continue to boot. You should be good now.
If not, and it starts that beeping for you again, then, I suppose you get to use this mini with only 6GB - which is still better than 4GB - just not what you want.
You could try one 8GB stick, just to see if THAT will work in just the top slot.
I doubt it is supported, but then I have not heard of anyone trying a single 8GB stick..

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
A new SSD, out of the box, is not formatted.
You will notice in Disk Utility, under the model name of the drive- it says "uninitialized", and your first error when booting also says "disk...was not readable...". Everything will be good after you "initialize", or format the drive.
Use the Disk Utility. Erase, using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

I don't know what is wrong with your bottom slot. Try a good NVRAM reset. Try that, using these steps.
Power off, and leave power unplugged for now.
Fill both memory slots - put one 2GB in that bottom slot, and a 4GB in the top slot.
Plug in power.
Press and release the power button, and immediately hold Option-Command-P and R.
You should hear the normal boot chime sound.
Continue to hold those same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime 4 more times. Some refer to this as a "deep reset". Release the keys after that fifth chime, and hold Option to select your boot drive.
Boot normally to your system, then shut down, using the shutdown command in the Apple menu.
Unplug power again. SWAP the memory, so the 4GB is now in the bottom slot, and the same 2GB is in the top slot.
Try to boot, while holding the Option key, so you should get the boot-picker screen.
If you get there, and you can choose your boot drive, do that, let it continue to boot. You should be good now.
If not, and it starts that beeping for you again, then, I suppose you get to use this mini with only 6GB - which is still better than 4GB - just not what you want.
You could try one 8GB stick, just to see if THAT will work in just the top slot.
I doubt it is supported, but then I have not heard of anyone trying a single 8GB stick..
I reset NVRAM, but unlucky, only 6GB can be support!

ricom2ger

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
TECMIYO only support 2GB(bottom) + 4GB(top), and I will test Timetec Hynix this afternoon.
What is the label of the 2GB stick? System Report and memory? There is something with the 2GB that the system likes and initializes the 4GB stick to.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
What is the label of the 2GB stick? System Report and memory? There is something with the 2GB that the system likes and initializes the 4GB stick to.
Here are the original, 4GB on top slot and 2GB on bottom + 4GB on top.

Attachments

• memory(2+2).png
    memory(2+2).png
    39.8 KB · Views: 23
  • memory(0+4).jpg
    memory(0+4).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 22
  • memory(2+4).png
    memory(2+4).png
    40.6 KB · Views: 20

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The problem is that the RAM in the 2009 and 2010 minis must be PC3-8500/1066MHz and no faster. Many vendors will sell you RAM that they list as PC3-8500 but will actually run faster, which will prevent the 2009-2010 minis from booting if faster RAM is installed in both slots. RAM like this from Other World Computing/macsales.com will work in this computer- this RAM will only run at 1066MHz:

Reactions: B S Magnet

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
The problem is that the RAM in the 2009 and 2010 minis must be PC3-8500/1066MHz and no faster. Many vendors will sell you RAM that they list as PC3-8500 but will actually run faster, which will prevent the 2009-2010 minis from booting if faster RAM is installed in both slots. RAM like this from Other World Computing/macsales.com will work in this computer- this RAM will only run at 1066MHz:
They also couldn't be used on top slot If they are faster than 1066MHz, both can be used on top...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They also couldn't be used on top slot If they are faster than 1066MHz, both can be used on top...
I'm not sure that this is actually the case, but it's been long enough since I put RAM in one of these I could be wrong.

ricom2ger

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
M471B5673EH1-CF8 (the 2GB stick) and HMT351S6AFR8C-G7 (the 4GB stick) are similar in spec (PC3-8500S, 1066Mhz, 7-7-7). The 2GB stick is 1.5V only, but for the 4GB stick, google gives both: 1.35V and 1.5V.

You could try a faster RAM, Geekbench has an entry with 1333Mhz and 8GB for Macmini3,1 Late 2009.

Reactions: B S Magnet

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Today I also tried to use 8GB on both slots, I heard three beeps, then nothing for five seconds, then three more beeps.
I also tried 4GB on bottom slot again, it still failed! but beeps is different from 8GB.
Well, I have to use 6GB never 8GB, though SSD made fast boot....

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Have you tried the original 2GB module in combination with one of the 8GB modules?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.