Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I hate the new power button behaviour in my macbook pro, does anybody know if it's possible to re-enable the old behabiour of 10.8, so it wont go to sleep every time I click it? thanks!!!!

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
You can also hold the button for about 2-3 seconds to get the shutdown/sleep/reboot dialogue.

Tap - sleep
Short hold/Control tap - dialogue
Long hold - force shutdown

As far as I know there isn't a way to change this functionality.

Reactions: mikeAdams59

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
You can also hold the button for about 2-3 seconds to get the shutdown/sleep/reboot dialogue.

Tap - sleep
Short hold/Control tap - dialogue
Long hold - force shutdown

As far as I know there isn't a way to change this functionality.

I too discovered this and first said man this sucks, but then now after using it for a couple days, I think it's the way it should have been ages ago. I press the power button and it goes to sleep, which is what I want to do 90% of the time but don't want to close the lid. And as expected, pressing it again immediately will break it from the sleep without needing a password, and like the screen saver, after 5 seconds, wake from sleep requires password.

Pressing it for 1-2 seconds gets me the dialogue box if I do want to shut down.

It's perfect actually... funny how what can seem to be a nuisance can actually be a cool feature. It's 2013, computers (especially SSD) don't need to be powered down, so the first default should be sleep.

I would say Apple should add a menu preference option so if a user WANTS to change it, they should be able to change the actions of that button. Seems like it would be an easy enough option.

Reactions: mikeAdams59

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
well, in my computer with DP2 it's not working like that. One press just turns the screen into black, is not even sleeping. another press ofthat button turns on the screen again. Long press directly resets the womputer, so no system closing, just reset. middle press does nothing.

apple should give a ****ing option. I´m not retarded like 90% of the population. I want to be able to decide thisthings. Hope a mod app is released soon. aplle keeps stinking.

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
well, in my computer with DP2 it's not working like that. One press just turns the screen into black, is not even sleeping. another press ofthat button turns on the screen again. Long press directly resets the womputer, so no system closing, just reset. middle press does nothing.

apple should give a ****ing option. I´m not retarded like 90% of the population. I want to be able to decide thisthings. Hope a mod app is released soon. aplle keeps stinking.

Maybe the dialogue box is just not being shown to you because it's only DP2 and not the final product and will eventually show you the dialogue box when you press the button for 2-3 seconds like users above mentioned?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
apple should give a ****ing option. I´m not retarded like 90% of the population.I want to be able to decide thisthings. Hope a mod app is released soon. aplle keeps stinking.
Holy crap. It's a freaking beta. :eek:

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
you mean beta like when apple changed the scrolling direction in beta and kept it? you mean like those decisions in beta that will stay in final release no matter how stupid they are and not related to bugs but to wrong decisions?

then yes, it's a beta, unfortunately. I'd like it to be just a rumor, not a beta, smart ass.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
you mean beta like when apple changed the scrolling direction in beta and kept it? you mean like those decisions in beta that will stay in final release no matter how stupid they are and not related to bugs but to wrong decisions?

then yes, it's a beta, unfortunately. I'd like it to be just a rumor, not a beta, smart ass.

you're still complaining about natural scrolling?
the feature that has an option to turn off?

who pee'd in your cheerios this morning, sweetheart?

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
My eject key is remapped to undock up, to eject external hdd's, so that key combo works no more.

Anyways now the button works properly. Still, it sucks...

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Then don't forget to report the problem behaviour in the Apple Seed forums, as part of your participation in the beta program.

I´m not retarded like 90% of the population.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?"

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
Whatever...

Problem is that current setup for the button just doesn't work, and it's not possible to disable this feature, unlike the "natural" scrolling direction, which CAN be disabled.

For example yesterday, my machine got blocked, I wanted to turn it off, and I couldn't do it. If I press to little it went to sleep, if I pressed longer the close window didn't show up. If I pushed longer it would reset...

Which in a way, it wasn't that bad, cause if it can't close, then what the hell, go and reset, but you know, I'm able to take these decisions myself. I'm actually not paying apple to take this decisions by me...

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
My problem is not the behavior when I WANT to push it - it's the way it zaps everything when I DON'T WANT to push it.

The fact that the backspace (delete) key is already half sized makes it more reprehensible. If I miss just a bit too high on the delete it puts my mac to sleep causing VPN to drop, Lync to barf, and every RDP session I have #@$% the bed.

If you're going to make a button that has RADICALLY different behavior than every other button look EXACTLY like every other key, at least give me a chance to say no to that behavior...

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
My problem is not the behavior when I WANT to push it - it's the way it zaps everything when I DON'T WANT to push it.

The fact that the backspace (delete) key is already half sized makes it more reprehensible. If I miss just a bit too high on the delete it puts my mac to sleep causing VPN to drop, Lync to barf, and every RDP session I have #@$% the bed.

If you're going to make a button that has RADICALLY different behavior than every other button look EXACTLY like every other key, at least give me a chance to say no to that behavior...

Is the power button not a circle away from the keyboard on your 2012 macbook pro like it is on my 2011 macbook pro?

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Is the power button not a circle away from the keyboard on your 2012 macbook pro like it is on my 2011 macbook pro?

the power button on newer macs (or is it just airs?) is no longer a separate silver round button that actually needs to be PRESSED. the newer macbooks have the power right next to the delete key, or is it the eject key was replaced with power?

I always found it super ridiculous to have it there. imagine missing that tiny delete key(now half its original size because its got power next to it), and sleeping your computer/powering it off. and its not even like the key is sturdier or has more resistance and thus harder to press. its just like any other keyboard key. not even a different colour.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Whatever...

Problem is that current setup for the button just doesn't work, and it's not possible to disable this feature, unlike the "natural" scrolling direction, which CAN be disabled.

For example yesterday, my machine got blocked, I wanted to turn it off, and I couldn't do it. If I press to little it went to sleep, if I pressed longer the close window didn't show up. If I pushed longer it would reset...

Which in a way, it wasn't that bad, cause if it can't close, then what the hell, go and reset, but you know, I'm able to take these decisions myself. I'm actually not paying apple to take this decisions by me...
You're problem is so absurdly trivial that it hurts my head. They added a single function to the button. You can still use the button as you used it before, and you still have the option of using the menu bar to shut down the computer.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
You're problem is so absurdly trivial that it hurts my head. They added a single function to the button. You can still use the button as you used it before, and you still have the option of using the menu bar to shut down the computer.

you can close the machine from the menu bar?????? really????

OMG, you must be a true genious!!!! thank you so so so much...

[sarcastic mode off]

----------

also, the 2-3 secs press of the button just doesn't work in my laptop. it's quite a bit **** to be honest. AND, as usual, you can't turn off this new feature...

also, it's flooded with bugs, still in dp6...

cheers!!!! ;-D

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I have the same problem as OP and would like to know if there is a way to revert to the old behavior. It's very annoying to accidentally hit the power key and the machine just goes straight to sleep and drops all connections.

rustyhalo

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
I thought it was simply just a bug when using DP1 through DP6.

It shocked me when it appeared to be designed this way. I just want to smash my Mac when my I accidentally hit power button but my intention was to hit the delete button. All internet connection dropped suddenly. The screen goes black.

Jesus I even wanted to install Mountain Lion back for this.

zenmoused

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2005
Raleigh, NC
To anyone who thinks this is a trivial problem, you clearly don't need to depend on your laptops in professional "live" environments. Accidentally sleeping a machine that's acting as a server or is streaming audio/video is a serious problem.

Just another sad reminder that Apple is moving more and more away from pro users.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I find this insanely annoying as well. I'm really surprised there's no way to disable it. Reminds me of the "reopen windows when logging back in" checkbox on Lion. At least they fixed that.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
To anyone who thinks this is a trivial problem, you clearly don't need to depend on your laptops in professional "live" environments. Accidentally sleeping a machine that's acting as a server or is streaming audio/video is a serious problem.

Just another sad reminder that Apple is moving more and more away from pro users.

I use Mac laptops for 8-10 hours a day for work and many hours a week in my own time and have done for years. In all that time I have never accidentally pressed the power button.

The power button requires significantly more pressure to activate than any normal person would exert on keys whilst typing so how does this get done accidentally? Has this ever actually happened to you or are you just paranoid about it happening?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I use Mac laptops for 8-10 hours a day for work and many hours a week in my own time and have done for years. In all that time I have never accidentally pressed the power button.

The power button requires significantly more pressure to activate than any normal person would exert on keys whilst typing so how does this get done accidentally? Has this ever actually happened to you or are you just paranoid about it happening?

It is actually pretty easy to press on a rMBP or an air because the power button is on the keyboard and right above the delete key (which I use a lot.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.