Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
At least on the rMBP if you hit the power key fast, i.e., like you would with the delete key, it ignores the keystroke.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
the ne button behaviour, it just doesn't work in a 2009 13" mbp. even if you let it pressed for a moment, it goes to sleep first!!!!

well at least there is now a button for make it sleep, but i liked more like before.

pkamb

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Seattle
I made an app to remap the power key. I change it to Forward Delete, myself.

Could anyone in this topic try it with 10.9, and report back? (I'll be testing with the GM later this week...)

https://github.com/pkamb/PowerKey

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4e7a6d524b4e332e706e67

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
That's better than nothing.. But, the main issue for me is that I always used the Power Key to Shut Down/Restart. Now I'll just be sleeping the MBP everytime I don't remember what the key does now. Is it possible to use that app and make it behave like pre Mavs?

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
That would be great! Call me whatever you want but, right now, despite all of the great things Mavericks is bringing, this is something that's making me want to not update. Not never but at least until I know if there's a workaround.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I just read the LifeHacker article and noticed that all the shortcuts require the Eject key. rMBPs do not have an Eject key :(

PS: Sorry about double posting. Thought the board would merge both replies.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I just read the LifeHacker article and noticed that all the shortcuts require the Eject key. rMBPs do not have an Eject key :(

PS: Sorry about double posting. Thought the board would merge both replies.

another flaw of the rMBP; i have no optical drive, and i remapped the eject key to actually eject all external drives, using ejectme app and key remap... ;-D

anyways, there must be another key chortcut to do the same thing in rMBP, just search for it. You could make your app work for any macbook, or imac there.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
What I found on the rMBP is that some combos with the Power button actually turn off the screen and put the Macbook to sleep.

Could anyone with a rMBP and Mavs test this to see what happens?

Code:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59707/what-is-the-keyboard-shortcut-for-sleep-display-without-eject-key

You can find the different combos throughout the thread.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
If your keyboard doesn't have an eject key, holding f12 works as an eject key. So cmd+opt+Ctrl+hold f12 should work. Works on a PC keyboard at least.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
F12 on the Retina is the Volume Up key. I will try with Fn + F12 when I'm on the rMBP.

I would like, anyway, if someone tried this on a rMBP running Mavericks.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
How have you done this? Would like to get the same functionality to my book ..

Yes, it's pretty cool. You need an app called EJECTME or something like that. Then you need another app called KEYREMAP to re-map the eject key into a the keyboard shortcut of the ejectme app to eject all external hard drives.

Just let me know if you need more help or if you didnt manage. Works perfect on my mbp.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
So, this only bothers me or isn't there anyone with a rMBP running Mavericks that could test this? :confused:

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Yes, it's pretty cool. You need an app called EJECTME or something like that. Then you need another app called KEYREMAP to re-map the eject key into a the keyboard shortcut of the ejectme app to eject all external hard drives.

Just let me know if you need more help or if you didnt manage. Works perfect on my mbp.

Hi thanks, still haven't tried, will do so sometime today ..

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
I made an app to remap the power key. I change it to Forward Delete, myself.

Could anyone in this topic try it with 10.9, and report back? (I'll be testing with the GM later this week...)

Still sleeps immediately for me - regardless of if app window open or running in background. rMBP 10.9 GM.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I hate this feature for one simple reason: half the time my MBA goes to sleep in this way, it won't wake up! The only solution is to hard shutdown AND LOSE UNSAVED WORK. I never get stuck in sleep mode when I sleep the computer any other way.

So basically I have a key on MBA's keyboard that, when inadvertently pressed, could force me to do a hard shutdown!

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I hate this feature for one simple reason: half the time my MBA goes to sleep in this way, it won't wake up! The only solution is to hard shutdown AND LOSE UNSAVED WORK. I never get stuck in sleep mode when I sleep the computer any other way.

So basically I have a key on MBA's keyboard that, when inadvertently pressed, could force me to do a hard shutdown!

Sounds like you have a bigger problem that the button itself.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Bring back the old Power Button behaviour or at least give us an option ffs.

If I want my MBP to go to sleep I close the lid.
I don't want to leave the lid open if I put it to sleep.
All that dust, etc.
Stupid idea Apple.

I only ever hit my power button to shut down my MBP.
It was brilliant and fast before.
Now it's not as good.
Bad functionality is bad.

Max108

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2013
Petition signed.

If you, the reader, have any input at Apple, please raise this matter - rMPBs (and presumably Airs as well) at the very least need to be able to turn off this instant sleep function because it is much too easy to trigger accidentally, as has been iterated and reiterated already in this thread.

----------

At least on the rMBP if you hit the power key fast, i.e., like you would with the delete key, it ignores the keystroke.

Not on mine it doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.