Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas5279

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I have been completely happy with my iPhone 6S since the day I bought it in November 2015 until I made a stupid decision to upgrade to the latest iOS 11.3.1 from 10.xx something. I did the update about a week ago. Until about a week ago, I was on iOS 10. I don't really care about updating iOS as long as my phone is working fine which it was. But in a brief stupid moment, I updated it. And now my battery time has greatly reduced and the phone gets warm too for no reason. I was very happy with the last iOS version I had.

Is there any way to easily and safely roll back to that version? A number of ways show up when you do a Google search but I'm not a techie and I don't want to screw things up. So I only want to follow a method which works flawlessly.

How do I roll back to the last iOS version I had before the update?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks to Apple's planned obsolescence strategy there is no way back. You are stuck. Only way to sort it out now it to get an iPhone X. I installed a tvOS beta profile on my iPad to force it to stay on iOS 10 as Apple loves to trick users into updating via those intrusive prompts.

iOS 12 is supposed to improve things so that's your only hope aPart from getting a X.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have been completely happy with my iPhone 6S since the day I bought it in November 2015 until I made a stupid decision to upgrade to the latest iOS 11.3.1 from 10.xx something. I did the update about a week ago. Until about a week ago, I was on iOS 10. I don't really care about updating iOS as long as my phone is working fine which it was. But in a brief stupid moment, I updated it. And now my battery time has greatly reduced and the phone gets warm too for no reason. I was very happy with the last iOS version I had.

Is there any way to easily and safely roll back to that version? A number of ways show up when you do a Google search but I'm not a techie and I don't want to screw things up. So I only want to follow a method which works flawlessly.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-back-to-10.2117825/

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

Sadly, I am pretty sure you are stuck on iOS 11, and going back is no longer an option.

I always thought you could go back to older iOS versions, until I updated my iPad Mini 2 from the very fast and stable iOS 8 to the POS iOS 9, which left my Mini unusable. Sadly, I was stuck with it until iOS 10, which kind of fixed it, it is still pretty bad though.

I am now scared to do updates on my Apple devices, especially iOS devices.

I wish the iOS was like the Mac OS, and you could store bootable back ups. If the Mac OS ever gets like the iOS, I will probably stop using Apple products.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Sadly, I am pretty sure you are stuck on iOS 11, and going back is no longer an option.

I always thought you could go back to older iOS versions, until I updated my iPad Mini 2 from the very fast and stable iOS 8 to the POS iOS 9, which left my Mini unusable. Sadly, I was stuck with it until iOS 10, which kind of fixed it, it is still pretty bad though.

I am now scared to do updates on my Apple devices, especially iOS devices.

I wish the iOS was like the Mac OS, and you could store bootable back ups. If the Mac OS ever gets like the iOS, I will probably stop using Apple products.
Its their unethical way of forcing people to buy new hardware. What with Throttlegate and all, its best to never update the phone beyond the version it shipped woh. There’s no telling what the Apple has cooked up for you.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

You can't. Once Apple stops digitally signing the version in question it cannot be installed. They stopped signing iOS 10 for 6s in November I believe.

Reactions: bobmanuk

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You can't roll back, but look at the only possible positive side: You learned your lesson. iOS devices will work flawlessly if kept on their original version. Next time, don't update iOS. That's what I do. I have a 6s on iOS 9.3.3 and it's really fast.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Next time, don't update iOS. That's what I do. I have a 6s on iOS 9.3.3 and it's really fast.

This way, however, you miss out on any new features and security patches too. If Apple says iOS is compatible with your device and you find it actually cripples it, perhaps a better strategy would be bringing it up directly with Apple by making some noise. This was the case with the recent forced performance decrease issue due to battery health on older devices.

Reactions: jhall8

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This way, however, you miss out on any new features and security patches too. If Apple says iOS is compatible with your device and you find it actually cripples it, perhaps a better strategy would be bringing it up directly with Apple by making some noise. This was the case with the recent forced performance decrease issue due to battery health on older devices.
That’s like banging your head against a wall. Apple’s not going to allow you to downgrade. The best solution is unfortunately to use tvOS beta profile. Its a carefully crafted strategy by Apple to induce upgrades.

Reactions: Altis and g-7

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
There were a few exploits for iOS, but none affecting millions of users in the wild. I'll take the security chance. I'm quite security conscious (don't click on rare links, don't click on mail links unless absolutely certain that it's harmless, etc, etc).
Bring it up to Apple? First, Apple never does anything about it, it's well known. What should I do? Go to an Apple Store and demand Apple to allow users to downgrade? Ask them to take the device in and downgrade it? You, I, and every single user knows the answer to that: "I'm sorry you are not happy, but there's nothing you can do about it". Send feedback? That has been done thousands of times. Apple has been pursued legally over this iirc and nothing happened, what can I do that won't fall on deaf ears? As we all know, there's nothing we can do. Suck it up and don't update next time. The battery health thing was widespread (in complaints I mean. In this case, many people just accept the performance and battery life decrease that iOS updates entail.) and the backlash too large. In this case, there is no widespread backlash.
You are right about features, though, and I might add I miss out on app compatibility, too, but those are two things I'm willing to abandon in order to have a perfectly working device.

Reactions: Radon87000

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You are right about features, though, and I might add I miss out on app compatibility, too, but those are two things I'm willing to abandon in order to have a perfectly working device.

I guess people have quite a wide range of expectations related to speed and performance, so perhaps mine are very moderate. ;)

I use iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 with iOS 11.4 and plan to update them both to iOS 12 (provided Air 2 is compatible). No complaints here. Of course, if I compare iPhone 7 with 8 or X side by side, there will be a performance difference, but I just don’t perceive any significant lag in its regular daily workings.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I guess people have quite a wide range of expectations related to speed and performance, so perhaps mine are very moderate. ;)

I use iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 with iOS 11.4 and plan to update them both to iOS 12 (provided Air 2 is compatible). No complaints here. Of course, if I compare iPhone 7 with 8 or X side by side, there will be a performance difference, but I just don’t perceive any significant lag in its regular daily workings.
I've compared for example my iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6 with multiple ones on iOS 9 and there's a significant difference. There is, also, a smaller difference (but difference in the end) between my 6s on iOS 9 and a 6s I've tested on iOS 11.
I haven't compared an Air 2 on iOS 8-9-10 with iOS 11, but I've seen and shortly used (a few minutes of testing) an iPad Air 2 on iOS 11 and it did seem fine. (At first glance. It might have had issues that I haven't seen).

axari

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017

No you can't, you are stuck. Actually, this is a business strategy, If you still are using fast, stable older devices, then who is going to buy expensive one...

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

All the security in the world is meaningless if the phone is unusable.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
All the security in the world is meaningless if the phone is unusable.
May I correct you? All the security in the world is meaningless if you aren't happy with how your device works. "Look! I'm secure! But I open Safari and it takes 30 seconds to respond!"
Me: "Look! I'm insecure! But I open Safari and it takes less time than what Jony Ive took to screw up iOS's design!

3:16

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
You can’t go back to iOS 10, it’s no longer signed by Apple,

Do a research next time before updating;-)

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Since the 11.3 update, my 7 has finally got to be usable again.

On balance, I think I’d rather have stayed on the last release of 10.

Agree with many here, I think it’s best to remain with the iOS version thdtbyiir device came with.

The next version up is usually ok but something went horribly wrong with 11.

Reactions: I7guy

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
For the OP: when a new version of iOS comes out, download it, install it, and most importantly TEST IT. Then after a couple of days, you can decide if it’s better or worse, and roll back to the previous version if required whilst the window is still open. How?

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-11-beta-go-back-ios-10-3522302/

How to stop Apple nagging you for the new update:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-stop-ios-nagging-you-update-latest-version-3641478/

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Its their unethical way of forcing people to buy new hardware. What with Throttlegate and all, its best to never update the phone beyond the version it shipped woh. There’s no telling what the Apple has cooked up for you.
Actually, it is done so that nobody can break the security of your device by first going back to an old iOS version, and then using exploits that have been discovered and fixed in newer versions.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
For the OP: when a new version of iOS comes out, download it, install it, and most importantly TEST IT. Then after a couple of days, you can decide if it’s better or worse, and roll back to the previous version if required whilst the window is still open. How?

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-11-beta-go-back-ios-10-3522302/

How to stop Apple nagging you for the new update:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-stop-ios-nagging-you-update-latest-version-3641478/

Apple allows downgrading for some time, like from iOS 11 beta versions to iOS 10. Today, you can't install iOS 10 anymore. Actually, you can't upgrade from iOS 9 to iOS 10 anymore today.

Reactions: macintoshmac

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
You can't roll back, but look at the only possible positive side: You learned your lesson. iOS devices will work flawlessly if kept on their original version. Next time, don't update iOS. That's what I do. I have a 6s on iOS 9.3.3 and it's really fast.

iOS devices use to perform best on the version they originally shipped with. Unfortunately, that's no longer true to the iPhone 8/+. iOS 11 performs like crap on the iPhone 8. I'm actually hoping iOS 12 makes it better.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

My 6s on iOS 11.4.2 b1 is awesome. Great battery life, stable, fast. Give iOS 11.4 a chance. This is what should have been released in September.

You can’t rollback, but you already knew that. If I could do the update all over again, I would.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.