Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
In iOS 12 there was a slider to stop iOS updates under Settings>iTunes & App store.

In iOS 13, that slider has been removed.
I do not want the next iOS update, and I don’t want to be stuck forever with the red notification circle on my Settings icon.

What do?

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Hi,

you can simply block the iOS Updates with your WiFi-Network (in the Router Settings), to ensure that those are not installed automatically. But then, basically you need to download the iOS Update in another WiFi Network. Things like installing a TvOS Profile and other recommendations won't work anymore.

I did the Router-Solution and i'm fine with that, unfortunately i can't get rid of the notificiation icon.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Hi,

you can simply block the iOS Updates with your WiFi-Network (in the Router Settings), to ensure that those are not installed automatically. But then, basically you need to download the iOS Update in another WiFi Network. Things like installing a TvOS Profile and other recommendations won't work anymore.

I did the Router-Solution and i'm fine with that, unfortunately i can't get rid of the notificiation icon.

Wow. This is bad news.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
If FilzaEscaped supports your iPhone/iOS version, I deleted a few preference strings from Settings and Updates no longer works.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
What about deleting the downloaded update file on the phone? I've read that is a way. Does that still work?

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Some people are uncomfortable having anything to do with COVID tracing, and the new update contains the API enabling apps with that capability. Some people are wanting nothing to do with the subject, even though the API itself does nothing to actualize tracing.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
In my case I’m completely done with updates that in reality, over the long term, do NOTHING for me except make my devices slower and destroy battery life.
I’ve been a faithful updater for 8 years. I’m done.

Reactions: B4U and WilliamDu

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
In my case I’m completely done with updates that in reality, over the long term, do NOTHING for me except make my devices slower and destroy battery life.
I’ve been a faithful updater for 8 years. I’m done.
Good luck with security patches then as iOS is like Swiss cheese at the moment. You are missing out on security fixes already in 13.5. I update via my iMac and it always runs smoothly. Yes I could update OTA I just feel the update is better this way.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
My advice: never upgade an iPhone beyond one version that it originally shipped with. If it originally shipped on launch day with iOS 12, don't upgrade beyond 13 - or you'll pay the price

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The only reliable way to stop iOS 13 updates is jailbreaking your device and let tweaks do the job. tvOS profile no longer works sadly.

I can certainly understand the mindset of not updating software as one update can easily break a lot of stuff. One recent example is the update of my game breaks in-game video and cutscenes, but I have lost the ability to downgrade as downloading package is no longer available.

To people with “security fixes”, iOS 13.5 jailbreak just slaps Apple to its face, and not all security flaws can be patched through software. Just saying.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In iOS 12 there was a slider to stop iOS updates under Settings>iTunes & App store.

In iOS 13, that slider has been removed.
I do not want the next iOS update, and I don’t want to be stuck forever with the red notification circle on my Settings icon.

What do?
I don't recall any iOS version really offering an option to actually stop iOS updates.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Guys, what are you talking about? In Settings/General/Software Update there's an option called Automatic Updates. It's been there ever since I can remember. Mine is set to off. And it does work. I've never had an iOS update install (or even download) automatically all by itself.
I've just checked, and it's still there in iOS 13.5.1, and it's still off.
Am I missing anything?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Guys, what are you talking about? In Settings/General/Software Update there's an option called Automatic Updates. It's been there ever since I can remember. Mine is set to off. And it does work. I've never had an iOS update install (or even download) automatically all by itself.
Am I missing anything?
The true effect of that switch will only present if you use a device that runs iOS 12 while also supports iOS 13. And even if the update is not downloaded/installed automatically, once iOS checks update in the background and there is one, a red dot will be permanently on settings app icon. The only way to remove it is by installing the update.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I never have the red dot. The phone is not aware of a new update until I manually check for it. And even if I do, the red dot will still not appear.
I don't know, maybe I managed to disable the badges for the Settings app, though I'm looking now and can't see the option, so I don't know how I did it. All I know is that my Automatic Updates slider works as it should. I never know of the existence of a new update until I intentionally check for it myself. And even then, it won't download until I ask it to.

Edit: Now, it may be that given enough time it will eventually display the badge. Maybe I should have waited longer. I usually postpone every upgrade for a few days, until I read about it on the forums and ascertain that it's safe. Who knows, maybe if I postponed it for a month or so I would eventually see the red dot.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I never have the red dot. The phone is not aware of a new update until I manually check for it. And even if I do, the red dot will still not appear.
I don't know, maybe I managed to disable the badges for the Settings app, though I'm looking now and can't see the option, so I don't know how I did it. All I know is that my Automatic Updates slider works as it should. I never know of the existence of a new update until I intentionally check for it myself. And even then, it won't download until I ask it to.

Edit: Now, it may be that given enough time it will eventually display the badge. Maybe I should have waited longer. I usually postpone every upgrade for a few days, until I read about it on the forums and ascertain that it's safe. Who knows, maybe if I postponed it for a month or so I would eventually see the red dot.
It takes awhile for the badge to show up. I dealt with this issue trying to keep my X on 12.4.1 when iOS 13 dropped. I had auto update turned off and what I found is after a couple weeks, overnight when my phone was connected to wifi and charging it would download the iOS 13 update but wouldn't install it. The only way I would know was when I checked in iPhone storage and the download was listed. After just deleting the update for awhile, eventually the notification badge would appear on the settings app and couldn't be removed. After Apple shut down the tvOS beta trick to stop updates I thought I was just going to have to deal with the badge and deleting the update but luckily I installed DNS cloak and I haven't been bothered by updates since..

Reactions: Shirasaki

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Am I missing anything?
As I recall that option only relates to the actual automatic installation of an update; it doesn't relate to the device automatically checking for or being notified of an update, or its automatic download (when appropriate).

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.