Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Hi,

you can simply block the iOS Updates with your WiFi-Network (in the Router Settings), to ensure that those are not installed automatically. But then, basically you need to download the iOS Update in another WiFi Network. Things like installing a TvOS Profile and other recommendations won't work anymore.

I did the Router-Solution and i'm fine with that, unfortunately i can't get rid of the notificiation icon.
Hi, anyone can explain or refer the “router” solution? It’s been everyday Apple ask for upgrade even I have delete the downloaded file. It means, I redownload it every day, and wasting my bandwidth:(

Aquarium2now

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
USA
. . once iOS checks update in the background and there is one, a red dot will be permanently on settings app icon. The only way to remove it is by installing the update.
I find the red dot reassuring at this point, as it indicates that the dreaded update has not installed.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hi, anyone can explain or refer the “router” solution? It’s been everyday Apple ask for upgrade even I have delete the downloaded file. It means, I redownload it every day, and wasting my bandwidth:(
Basically, you configure your router and ban Apple update server at router level, so iOS will not be able to connect to the server to check for update and download it.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
My advice: never upgade an iPhone beyond one version that it originally shipped with. If it originally shipped on launch day with iOS 12, don't upgrade beyond 13 - or you'll pay the price

Poppycock.

My 7+ is now happily rocking 13.5.1.

The only price I paid was time.

The vast majority of devices update just fine.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Basically, you configure your router and ban Apple update server at router level, so iOS will not be able to connect to the server to check for update and download it.
Is there any howto or link on the procedure? Google didn’t help much.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But this would only work at home. As soon as you connect to another wi-fi it will download again.
Only if you are also charging and doing that for some time as it won't start the download immediately. But, yes, with those conditions met it can start downloading again.

As of iOS 13.6 it seems that automatic download of iOS updates will be something that users can disable.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Is there any howto or link on the procedure? Google didn’t help much.
Given that different router has different ways to configure this, Google will have a hard time giving a comprehensive answer. The basic idea is finding out features similar to blacklisting certain domains such as some form of parent control or firewall stuff. I would go and read the router’s manual before configuring it. Many cheap routers may not provide such functionality.

Another geeky way to do so is installing a Raspberry Pi and configure Pi Hole as your home hardware ad blocker (or even firewall). It runs Linux, and can easily deal with banning iOS update at your home Wifi network.
[automerge]1593445212[/automerge]
But this would only work at home. As soon as you connect to another wi-fi it will download again.
Yes, you are correct. But, before Apple gives user this feature (like the one in iOS 13.6), that is probably the best we can do to block it as much as possible.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
yeah but I don't want 13.6 ?

i deleted the update that showed yesterday on one of my 13.4 devices

badge went away

fingers crossed it never comes back

There's really no reason to not upgrade from 13.4 to 13.6. Not much has changed. If it's because you're jailbroken you can turn off the automatic download anyway.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I am looking at a similar annoyance from Apple.
Having been meticulously turning off the Wi-Fi in settings when charging every time.
Yet, they can still somehow make a bloody freakin' iOS update notification badge to show up.
This is getting ridiculous.
IMG_2934.png
IMG_2935.png
IMG_2936.png

Attachments

• IMG_2934.png
    IMG_2934.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.