Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
If you stick with Samsung then you can pretty much move all your stuff over from one (Samsung) phone to the other without any hassle. Regarding backing stuff up I did say that I would do so to a computer if necessary. Photos take forever to download from the cloud.

Can you really do that? Is there a cloud backup that backs up everything exactly as it was? So if you get a new phone you just login to your account and the phone restores things exactly like the old one with settings, apps, home screens, widgets and everything?

Because that is something I’ve always found annoying on Android, that it doesn’t back up properly.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Can you really do that? Is there a cloud backup that backs up everything exactly as it was? So if you get a new phone you just login to your account and the phone restores things exactly like the old one with settings, apps, home screens, widgets and everything?

Because that is something I’ve always found annoying on Android, that it doesn’t back up properly.
Yes. Samsung to Samsung copies everything over including settings. You can do it via USB-C. Just join the two phones together and everything gets swapped over really quickly.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Yes. Samsung to Samsung copies everything over including settings. You can do it via USB-C. Just join the two phones together and everything gets swapped over really quickly.

Yeah I want that but via cloud backup instead so I don't need the old phone next to it to do it, automatic backups every night and then just press "restore backup" on the new unit and it would be just like the old one minus some apps that need to download new security certificates like E-ID apps and so on.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
iMessage is the best-in-class messaging app that the most people want to use though. I'm sure you're inconveniencing friends and family by insisting they use these third party solutions to communicate with you.

Unless you only message iPhone users, you're also inconveniencing family/friends if you don't use a cross-platform messaging app. I know in the US iMessage is considered massively important (even though 43% of US smartphone users don't use iPhone), but in most of the rest of the world people tend to default to cross-platform messaging apps. In my experience this is most typically WhatsApp and it tends to happen even when all participants in the chat are on iPhone. It's just easier not having to give consideration to what phones other people have.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah I want that but via cloud backup instead so I don't need the old phone next to it to do it, automatic backups every night and then just press "restore backup" on the new unit and it would be just like the old one minus some apps that need to download new security certificates like E-ID apps and so on.
Although I don't use that slow old iOS method I do think it's possible to backup to Samsung cloud and restore trom there.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Although I don't use that slow old iOS method I do think it's possible to backup to Samsung cloud and restore trom there.

That is neither slow or old, if anything cables are very old school. Cables made sense when we had slow internet speeds but today when 1-10 Gbit is common in homes and our phones get 500+ Mbit on cellular they really doesn’t make much sense.

With cloud backups you initiate it and can start using your device more or less straight away. If your phone breaks you also can’t use it at all.

And no, the Samsung cloud backup isn’t complete so there’s a lot of things to setup afterwards.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That is neither slow or old, if anything cables are very old school. Cables made sense when we had slow internet speeds but today when 1-10 Gbit is common in homes and our phones get 500+ Mbit on cellular they really doesn’t make much sense.

With cloud backups you initiate it and can start using your device more or less straight away. If your phone breaks you also can’t use it at all.

And no, the Samsung cloud backup isn’t complete so there’s a lot of things to setup afterwards.
Transferring photos from one phone to another via USB-C is wayyyy faster than downloading them from the cloud. Not to mention more secure.

*I did say that I don't use Samsung cloud.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Transferring photos from one phone to another via USB-C is wayyyy faster than downloading them from the cloud. Not to mention more secure.

*I did say that I don't use Samsung cloud.

No it isn’t when we are talking about Smart Switch, far as I’ve found from loads of different tests the Samsung Smart Switch cannot even reach over 10 MB/s and most people say it is a tad over 8 MB/s on average, haven’t tested it myself since it never would work properly for me. Just tested the iCloud speeds with various files and the transfer speeds are 10x that at around 90-100 MB/s over WiFi.

And I’m not even running WiFi 6 which would probably increase the cloud speeds since I seem to be limited by my slow 7-800 Mbit WiFi atm.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
No it isn’t when we are talking about Smart Switch, far as I’ve found from loads of different tests the Samsung Smart Switch cannot even reach over 10 MB/s and most people say it is a tad over 8 MB/s on average, haven’t tested it myself since it never would work properly for me. Just tested the iCloud speeds with various files and the transfer speeds are 10x that at around 90-100 MB/s over WiFi.
Well that's another win for Apple then. 💪
I honestly never have any bother using Android my way. I think this mainly boils down to familiarity and habit. You can't use Android in exactly the same way that you use iOS and therefore it's inferior.

I feel the same way about iOS. It doesn't work the same way that Android does, it doesn't do things the way I like, it frustrates me and I just can't be doing with it. I really don't understand all the praise it gets. At all. 😕

Reactions: ozaz

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Well that's another win for Apple then. 💪
I honestly never have any bother using Android my way. I think this mainly boils down to familiarity and habit. You can't use Android in exactly the same way that you use iOS and therefore it's inferior.

I feel the same way about iOS. It doesn't work the same way that Android does, it doesn't do things the way I like, it frustrates me and I just can't be doing with it. I really don't understand all the praise it gets. At all. 😕

Yeah I am not saying that iOS is better than Android, I am just saying that it is stuff like a fast cloud backup that is the appeal of iOS for me and probably many others that makes it easy to setup a new phone. Once I traded my phone in while getting the new one at a store and had the new one setup more or less identical to the old one before I came home from the store.

I wish Android would just introduce something like that the same way I wish Apple would take a lot of good stuff from different Android versions. If they all borrow from each other we all get better products.

Reactions: sunking101

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Need your help everyone. I've tried and tried and tried from the Note way back when to the Fold 4, and now back to iPhone again, it's difficult for me to adjust to everything Android and Samsung. The hardware is beautiful and I love using it, it's just the OS that i'm having a hard time adjusting too. Some pictures other iPhone users get are pixilated, and any smart watch that Samsung has to offer doesn't compare to Apple Watch Ultra. I WANT to love the samsung hardware, it's just that everything with Apple is so seamless. Help me change my mind, seriously what are you guys using to aleviate the iOS vs Android and it's associated hardware woes in between the adjustment period?
Geez, if my non tech Wife can do it, anybody can. She has a iPad and a Galaxy phone and works them just fine. Seriously she is not tech savvy at all.
Best advice is to pick one and stick with it. Never understood why some NEED to keep their iPhone when switching. It wasnt that hard for me to stop using the iPhone and i havent had one for many years now.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If I were to get and set up an android phone today, there would be a lot of settings I would have to change and tweak to get the phone to be just how I want it to be and it would seem like a lot of work. However, because I’ve been using the iphone for over 9 years straight, I probably made the same adjustments bit by bit over the years.
Wrong person..need delete option.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Not really, it’s not even close. Do you have any idea how many switches I needed to hunt down and turn off when I got my Flip4? Many of them related to Google services. Maybe if I had an android previously and it had been backed up it would save some of those settings, but I’m saying for a new user, out of the box, how much do you need to change to get a good user experience?

Google’s apps send me a ton of notifications about nothing important, like photos for example. Here’s the notifications preferences for that:
View attachment 2254245
10+ switches just for the notifications, for Photos alone, and most of them vague. I was constantly asking myself “why tf am I still getting notifications from this?” So then you turn off notifications for Photos altogether and you get this nice little popup every time you open the app
View attachment 2254249
Also notice the shopping bag icon constantly at the top of the app 🙄 They’ll never pass up an opportunity to try to sell you something or track you in some way. Photos is just one example, repeat that for Google Drive, Play Store, etc etc. And it’s not just notifications it’s privacy things too, here’s an example of another setting I just came across for the Play Store: “App Install Optimization: Send data to Google about which parts of an app you use, making apps faster to install…” what whyy? Why is this another switch I need to find and turn off to keep them from tracking me?

If I turn off Google’s or Samsung’s services, they nag me to turn them back on. So many of the apps require permissions I’d rather they not have, but then things break if you turn them off 🙄

These are the kinds of things I’m talking about with user experience out of the box.

PS here’s the notifications for Apple Photos for comparison. I don’t even turn them off because I get so few that I actually enjoy them. If I do turn them off, I never hear about it again.
View attachment 2254251
The horror needing to turn some of those off. Must take up a minute of your time.

Reactions: lyunmac

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What would you do if you lost your phone and hadn’t backed up your photos in say a few months, and lost those memories because there was no backup? Remembering to back up the phone periodically is one more thing I don’t want to have to do.

Whenever I would get a new iPhone, here’s the setup process: turn on, answer a handful of setup questions, sign into Apple Account, wait a few minutes for it to activate, done.

All the settings transfer, all my data appears instantly every photo and every text in the last 10 years, all my notes, calendars, music, passwords, bookmarks, keyboard shortcuts, smart home settings, everything just how I left it. Granted some of it is still in the cloud at that point and takes a little while to download in the background, but it requires no work on my part.

It’s very freeing knowing that if you lose your phone or it’s stolen, you will lose nothing

Smart switch didn’t work for me, trust me I wasted an entire evening trying. First of all I have more photos in iCloud than will fit on the internal storage of the new phone, so that’s a no-go (~300gb). Apple keeps the full rez files in iCloud and downloads them on the fly when needed, they outgrew my iPhone storage a while ago.

Second, it wouldn’t transfer my texts, it would say there wasn’t enough internal storage on the phone (Flip4 is 256gb, iCloud says I have 30gb of messages backed up including attachments). No matter what timeframe I set it to backup, all, 6 months, 1 month, etc, it just didn’t work. It would look like it was in progress for like an hour each time, and nothing would be there when it was done.

Third, calendar events, thought this one would be simple. They all transferred alright, but they’re in a separate “on phone” calendar that doesn’t sync to Google calendar, or even sync across Samsung devices, couldn’t get them to show up on my Tab S8+ no matter what I did, I played around with every sync option I could find, and there’s no way to export them from what I could tell. So that’s a no-go. Had to export my calendars on my mac, import them in Google calendar, and use that. Except then I had duplicates of everything and there’s no way to mass-delete all calendar entries in the Samsung Calendar app. Tried deleting the data in settings, the cache, etc. I had to find a third party app I could use to wipe it.

Total clusterf***, all of it. Didn’t even mention it would constantly say it disconnected during the transfer, that happened like 4 times. Tried two different nearly new OEM lightning cables. The port contacts in the phone are totally clean and I don’t have issues in any other context.

Literally all it was good for was getting my contacts over 🙄

It’s not like I haven’t had Android phones before, this is like my third one, I’ve actually had Windows phones, Androids, and Palm Pre before getting into iPhones, so I’ve seen them all, I thought both Palm and Windows phone were more intuitive than Android, which was the worst of the 4 imo.

One example of something bugging me today: on the keyboard I have text replacement shortcuts set up for 50+ things. On iPhone when you type the shortcut, the replacement text is inserted automatically unless I hit an X to cancel it. Perfect and fluid. On my Flip4, when I type the shortcut, I have to tap on the replacement in the toolbar/suggestion area, taking my focus off of the keyboard and interrupting my flow every time. There’s also no way to decouple auto-correct from predictive text, from what I can tell. I don’t want predictive, but auto-correct is nice to have. Maybe this is possible in another keyboard, but I’m not going to give someone like Google permission to read all my keyboard input.

The customizability and ability to sideload apps are nice, but I’m starting to think they don’t outweigh the cons I’m dealing with, including it not syncing anything with my Apple products without using Google or Onedrive, and I’ve lost all faith that I’ll be able to transfer my texts back to iPhone if I ever switch back, which is a big deal to me
Oh man I definitely feel your pain it's palpable! I've gone through 4 days getting smart Switch to work for me, 2 days trying wifi was aggregating.

It would seem for the linger you've been on iPhone the harder and more difficult transitioning becomes. Personally I don't keep every imessage conversations for long only important ones with family and a few close friends.

Pictures - yeah I never used iClouds method to keep and download full image when selecting thumbnail routine. Every year I got to the habit to upload choice photos (mostly screenshots for me as I'm no shutter bug, since my late 13 mini had started me to take more photos though). Having 64-128GB iPhone in the past forced me to do that.

I've always disliked the duplicate / alias nature of ios picture library, I want a picture in an album put it there not a copy or alias.

I'm hoping you've found solutiosn to migrating or if you chose to stick with ios in any case you're relieved and happier getting on in your tech life.

Youtubers have done a terrible dis-service to viewers with their switcher videos that are seriously lacking in information and yet always having a main iPhone still in rotation. It's excruciatingly aggrevating.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What would you do if you lost your phone and hadn’t backed up your photos in say a few months, and lost those memories because there was no backup? Remembering to back up the phone periodically is one more thing I don’t want to have to do.

Whenever I would get a new iPhone, here’s the setup process: turn on, answer a handful of setup questions, sign into Apple Account, wait a few minutes for it to activate, done.

All the settings transfer, all my data appears instantly every photo and every text in the last 10 years, all my notes, calendars, music, passwords, bookmarks, keyboard shortcuts, smart home settings, everything just how I left it. Granted some of it is still in the cloud at that point and takes a little while to download in the background, but it requires no work on my part.

It’s very freeing knowing that if you lose your phone or it’s stolen, you will lose nothing

Smart switch didn’t work for me, trust me I wasted an entire evening trying. First of all I have more photos in iCloud than will fit on the internal storage of the new phone, so that’s a no-go (~300gb). Apple keeps the full rez files in iCloud and downloads them on the fly when needed, they outgrew my iPhone storage a while ago.

Second, it wouldn’t transfer my texts, it would say there wasn’t enough internal storage on the phone (Flip4 is 256gb, iCloud says I have 30gb of messages backed up including attachments). No matter what timeframe I set it to backup, all, 6 months, 1 month, etc, it just didn’t work. It would look like it was in progress for like an hour each time, and nothing would be there when it was done.

Third, calendar events, thought this one would be simple. They all transferred alright, but they’re in a separate “on phone” calendar that doesn’t sync to Google calendar, or even sync across Samsung devices, couldn’t get them to show up on my Tab S8+ no matter what I did, I played around with every sync option I could find, and there’s no way to export them from what I could tell. So that’s a no-go. Had to export my calendars on my mac, import them in Google calendar, and use that. Except then I had duplicates of everything and there’s no way to mass-delete all calendar entries in the Samsung Calendar app. Tried deleting the data in settings, the cache, etc. I had to find a third party app I could use to wipe it.

Total clusterf***, all of it. Didn’t even mention it would constantly say it disconnected during the transfer, that happened like 4 times. Tried two different nearly new OEM lightning cables. The port contacts in the phone are totally clean and I don’t have issues in any other context.

Literally all it was good for was getting my contacts over 🙄

It’s not like I haven’t had Android phones before, this is like my third one, I’ve actually had Windows phones, Androids, and Palm Pre before getting into iPhones, so I’ve seen them all, I thought both Palm and Windows phone were more intuitive than Android, which was the worst of the 4 imo.

One example of something bugging me today: on the keyboard I have text replacement shortcuts set up for 50+ things. On iPhone when you type the shortcut, the replacement text is inserted automatically unless I hit an X to cancel it. Perfect and fluid. On my Flip4, when I type the shortcut, I have to tap on the replacement in the toolbar/suggestion area, taking my focus off of the keyboard and interrupting my flow every time. There’s also no way to decouple auto-correct from predictive text, from what I can tell. I don’t want predictive, but auto-correct is nice to have. Maybe this is possible in another keyboard, but I’m not going to give someone like Google permission to read all my keyboard input.

The customizability and ability to sideload apps are nice, but I’m starting to think they don’t outweigh the cons I’m dealing with, including it not syncing anything with my Apple products without using Google or Onedrive, and I’ve lost all faith that I’ll be able to transfer my texts back to iPhone if I ever switch back, which is a big deal to me
Hmm, all my photos are backed up on two separate places. 3 actually.
Google Photos, Amazon Photos and One Drive. Don't see how anyone could have that problem.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Works on Pixels too.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Most of this is not unique to iPhone. You can achieve all or almost all of it in Android if you use an Android-appropriate cloud service for your content (i.e. not iCloud). The only ones I'm not sure about are keyboard shortcuts and device settings. Google's backup/restore functionality does include device settings, although I'm not sure about exactly what settings get included.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Most of this is not unique to iPhone. You can achieve all or almost all of it in Android if you use an Android-appropriate cloud service for your content (i.e. not iCloud). The only ones I'm not sure about are keyboard shortcuts and device settings. Google's backup/restore functionality does include device settings, although I'm not sure about exactly what settings get included.

A backup is supposed to restore everything, every single setting, every single app, every single custimization ever done. The whole concept fails if you aren't sure exactly what gets included because it is supposed to be a 100% copy. It might be that the Pixel devices have that but when I've had phones from other manufacturers they haven't done that and there doesn't seem to be a native Android thing that worked for my Samsungs for example.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
A backup is supposed to restore everything, every single setting, every single app, every single custimization ever done. The whole concept fails if you aren't sure exactly what gets included because it is supposed to be a 100% copy. It might be that the Pixel devices have that but when I've had phones from other manufacturers they haven't done that and there doesn't seem to be a native Android thing that worked for my Samsungs for example.

I'd disagree about the criticality of settings/customisations. What you're talking about is a clone, functionally if not literally. A backup doesn't have to be a clone to be considered a backup or to be useful. For me, the critical thing is my data, and that I can sign into the backup/cloud service on a new device to instantly get access to that data. You were giving the impression this was not possible on Android. The main thing I wanted to point out was that it is.

I care very little about ability to restore device settings onto a new device or even ability to auto restore/install all the apps I had on an old device. Obviously some people care about this, but I don't think it's of great value to everyone and I don't think the 'concept fails' if settings aren't 100% restorable.

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I'd disagree about the criticality of settings/customisations. What you're talking about is a clone, functionally if not literally. A backup doesn't have to be a clone to be considered a backup or to be useful. For me, the critical thing is my data, and that I can sign into the backup/cloud service on a new device to instantly get access to that data. You were giving the impression this was not possible on Android. The main thing I wanted to point out was that it is.

I care very little about ability to restore device settings onto a new device or even ability to auto restore/install all the apps I had on an old device. Obviously some people care about this, but I don't think it's of great value to everyone and I don't think the 'concept fails' if settings aren't 100% restorable.

A proper backup for sure needs to include everything within the scope and be a clone of what it is intended to back up, would you say Google photos creates a good backup of your photos if it only saves 2/3 of the photos? A backup of your device should back up the device completely.

That doesn’t mean that you need a full device backup, maybe you just need a backup of your data but that data needs to be backed up fully.

And that is what we are talking about here, what for example Samsung calls a backup of the device isn’t really a full backup.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
When I used iPhones those in the know always told people to set up as new and not to use a backup because it avoided bugs...:p
It is something I almost always do with my Androids for peace of mind. A clean install is a happy install.:cool:

Reactions: ozaz

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
When I used iPhones those in the know always told people to set up as new and not to use a backup because it avoided bugs...:p
It is something I almost always do with my Androids for peace of mind. A clean install is a happy install.:cool:

Yep, very much used to be a thing but I haven’t done that for a few years and haven’t had any problems so I think they managed to fix it.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
A proper backup for sure needs to include everything within the scope and be a clone of what it is intended to back up, would you say Google photos creates a good backup of your photos if it only saves 2/3 of the photos? A backup of your device should back up the device completely.

That doesn’t mean that you need a full device backup, maybe you just need a backup of your data but that data needs to be backed up fully.

And that is what we are talking about here, what for example Samsung calls a backup of the device isn’t really a full backup.

Google Photos by default fully backs up your camera folder (i.e. photos and movies you have captured with your camera). If you want it to also backup images/movies in other device folders (e.g. screenshots/downloads) that is possible but it needs to be enabled in settings. Google backup also includes apps, messages, call history, device settings, and google account data (e.g. calendar, contacts, docs, drive, gmail, notes, tasks). That's good enough for me.

I've never used Samsung backup/restore, but if comparing Apple's iCloud backup/restore on iOS to backup/restore on Android, I think Google's backup/restore is the more appropriate representative for generalisations about Android.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lol you do NOT get this standard on Windows, and even in macOS some fine tuned specific user customizations are not restored, not without first relaunching said apps or menu bar items with a sign in.

Windows you'll need USMT to equal that of what Time machine does for osx.

Samsung has had backup for years now not sure how you've missed this? Maybe due to only focusing on Google's solutions and ignoring prompts regarding Samsung account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.