Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dra.long10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Hello every body
I have buyed a iPhone XS Max from my friend and it is locked by US T-Mobile/Sprint, I want to unlock my iPhone to use on any GSM carrier in Vietnam, how can I do?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
A phone is often locked when purchased on an installment plan, rather than being purchased outright. If your friend bought it on an installment plan and hasn't paid it off then he needs to pay it off. Once the phone is paid for he can contact T-Mobile to get it unlocked.

Reactions: dra.long10

dra.long10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
A phone is often locked when purchased on an installment plan, rather than being purchased outright. If your friend bought it on an installment plan and hasn't paid it off then he needs to pay it off. Once the phone is paid for he can contact T-Mobile to get it unlocked.
Thank for your answer, at present, I cannot contact my friend because I have lost his information, so I don't know he has paid it off and I live in Vietnam. Is there other way, bro?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You could contact T-Mobile. But since you aren't the account owner there is probably nothing that they can do. Due to privacy laws they likely can't even tell you if the phone is paid for so it could be unlocked. Worth a shot though.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The agree that the carrier’s customer should contact the carrier to ask for an unlock. If that person magically is not found anymore it’s unlikely to be successful.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello every body
I have buyed a iPhone XS Max from my friend and it is locked by US T-Mobile/Sprint, I want to unlock my iPhone to use on any GSM carrier in Vietnam, how can I do?
Options…

• Leave Vietnam and come to live in America. Live in America for 40 days and put the phone on T-Mobile for those 40 days. Then ask T-Mobile for an unlock. Leave America, return to Vietnam. No guarantee without knowing the payment status of this phone if it's been blacklisted or not. If it has, that would mean it needs to be paid off first.

• Find an online third party unlock service. Pay a lot of money, maybe get it unlocked.

• SIM Interposer: Gevey, Turbosim, R-SIM, etc. These are not true unlocks, but will fool your carrier. They will require you to remain on the same firmware - no updates, unless the software/hardware hack itself has been updated first. Some versions may require your phone to be jailbroken.

• Find a phone shop in Vietnam that does unlocks and pay them. More than likely, they'll end up giving you a SIM interposer and doing the work needed to make that function.

• Return the phone. If that's not possible because your 'friend' really isn't a friend, then either sell it or use it as an iPod.

Those are your options. There are no other options, there is no one who is going to be magically able to unlock your phone any other way.

This is why is always pays to be careful when buying US phones outside of the US.

dra.long10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Options…

• Leave Vietnam and come to live in America. Live in America for 40 days and put the phone on T-Mobile for those 40 days. Then ask T-Mobile for an unlock. Leave America, return to Vietnam. No guarantee without knowing the payment status of this phone if it's been blacklisted or not. If it has, that would mean it needs to be paid off first.

• Find an online third party unlock service. Pay a lot of money, maybe get it unlocked.

• SIM Interposer: Gevey, Turbosim, R-SIM, etc. These are not true unlocks, but will fool your carrier. They will require you to remain on the same firmware - no updates, unless the software/hardware hack itself has been updated first. Some versions may require your phone to be jailbroken.

• Find a phone shop in Vietnam that does unlocks and pay them. More than likely, they'll end up giving you a SIM interposer and doing the work needed to make that function.

• Return the phone. If that's not possible because your 'friend' really isn't a friend, then either sell it or use it as an iPod.

Those are your options. There are no other options, there is no one who is going to be magically able to unlock your phone any other way.

This is why is always pays to be careful when buying US phones outside of the US.
Yeah, I think second and fourth options is the best choice. In my country, iPhone is locked by carrier from America, which is one of the most popular iPhone for everyone because it is much cheaper than global version. With third party, I have my iPhone's information like the capture, can you recommend an online third party unlock service, bro?

Attachments

• XSM.PNG
    XSM.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 115

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Moral of the story, if you're buying iPhones from non-official channels, avoid US iPhones. Buy Hong Kong or Singapore units as those are guaranteed to be unlocked.
Agree.

I think part of the problem for buyers outside the USA is that they assume that US carrier phones all come unlocked. Just like they do with a lot of non-US carriers. But they don't, because US carriers are not like other carriers outside the US. So that assumption gets them every time.

dra.long10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Moral of the story, if you're buying iPhones from non-official channels, avoid US iPhones. Buy Hong Kong or Singapore units as those are guaranteed to be unlocked.
Yeah, I don't know that thing, thank you bro, can you recommend any carrier which is easy to unlock?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
can you recommend an online third party unlock service, bro?
No, I'm sorry. I can't. I've never used one of these services. I only know what I know simply because I used to be on Sprint and did some research to see if I could get my own phone unlocked.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, I don't know that thing, thank you bro, can you recommend any carrier which is easy to unlock?
AT&T actually has an unlock portal: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/ but you need to know at least some information, like the last AT&T phone number the phone was linked to.

Verizon phones are unlocked automatically after 60 days, whether paid off or not (as long as they are active on an account).

Reactions: ian87w

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
AT&T actually has an unlock portal: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/ but you need to know at least some information, like the last AT&T phone number the phone was linked to.

Verizon phones are unlocked automatically after 60 days, whether paid off or not (as long as they are active on an account).
The whole carrier locking is super annoying IMO but I understand why they do it. I had a phone from Spectrum and it was unlocked. Long after I paid it off and switched carriers I did a restore. That pings Apple's servers and part of that is to check the serial number to see if it's listed as locked or not. Spectrum didn't send whatever they need to Apple at the time so my phone was remotely carrier locked by Apple during the restore. Apple apparently isn't authorized to unlock phones without permission so I had a three day long customer experience fiasco to get Spectrum to tell Apple to unlock a phone that I owned ?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The whole carrier locking is super annoying IMO but I understand why they do it. I had a phone from Spectrum and it was unlocked. Long after I paid it off and switched carriers I did a restore. That pings Apple's servers and part of that is to check the serial number to see if it's listed as locked or not. Spectrum didn't send whatever they need to Apple at the time so my phone was remotely carrier locked by Apple during the restore. Apple apparently isn't authorized to unlock phones without permission so I had a three day long customer experience fiasco to get Spectrum to tell Apple to unlock a phone that I owned ?
Well, it made sense back when two year contracts were a thing. I don't think it makes sense now. If you buy your phone on installments and it's unlocked and you skip to another carrier the lever that your old carrier has is blacklisting. Or, like with T-Mobile's new customer guarantee, you can still be allowed to make payments even though you're on a new carrier.

Apple's program has their phones come unlocked - even though you're making monthly payments. Maybe there is an alternative for the carriers, but I think locking is a think of the past and should be placed in the dustbin of history.

Anyway, yeah, only the carrier can submit the unlock. Apple can't do that itself. That was part of the original agreement between AT&T and Apple when the first iPhone launched. Apple wanted them to all be unlocked, but AT&T balked (because two year subsidized contracts). So the compromise was that, yes, they could be unlocked, but only by the carrier's request - which would happen after the two year agreement (or payoff) was met.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
As a non American, I never understand carrier locking. I mean who cares if the person sells the phone the next day, the person still needs to fulfill the contract. Besides, US carriers often do background and/or credit check for contracts, right?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Well, it made sense back when two year contracts were a thing. I don't think it makes sense now. If you buy your phone on installments and it's unlocked and you skip to another carrier the lever that your old carrier has is blacklisting. Or, like with T-Mobile's new customer guarantee, you can still be allowed to make payments even though you're on a new carrier.

Apple's program has their phones come unlocked - even though you're making monthly payments. Maybe there is an alternative for the carriers, but I think locking is a think of the past and should be placed in the dustbin of history.

Anyway, yeah, only the carrier can submit the unlock. Apple can't do that itself. That was part of the original agreement between AT&T and Apple when the first iPhone launched. Apple wanted them to all be unlocked, but AT&T balked (because two year subsidized contracts). So the compromise was that, yes, they could be unlocked, but only by the carrier's request - which would happen after the two year agreement (or payoff) was met.
I remember when Verizon made some deal with the US government that they would not carrier lock iPhones if they could sell them. I think that lasted for a few iPhone models and they somehow got out of it. They claim it's to prevent theft in the supply chain. I was talking to a guy that worked at AT&T and it's crazy the power they have. They can remotely lock your phone with the push of a button. Even with a phone from another carrier or one you bought yourself. Of course they CAN do this but I doubt they're supposed to or allowed to.

As a non American, I never understand carrier locking. I mean who cares if the person sells the phone the next day, the person still needs to fulfill the contract. Besides, US carriers often do background and/or credit check for contracts, right?
Well it started when carriers would give you a free phone or sell it to you ridiculously cheap in exchange for a contract where you would agree to pay for two years of phone service. Without the carrier lock you could just take your phone elsewhere and ignore the contract. Sure they would put it in collections and it would go bad on your credit but that wouldn't stop people from doing it. You would end up with a free phone and a cheaper phone bill.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

In Hong Kong/Singapore, they made a regulation to ban carrier locking.
In my country, phones are sold unlocked as well. Also, each phone OEM takes the burden for customer service and support of their phones. Ie. the carriers bare no responsibility at all on anything wrong with the phone. Seems like it's different with US since I see people contacting their carriers for support of their phones.

Reactions: russell_314

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It makes a certain warped sense. What will happen is that a carrier has a deal - so you get a phone on a good deal. If it's unlocked, you turn around and sell if for full price. Now the new person has the phone you got on the deal, you have the money and no incentive to pay the phone. The phone gets blacklisted and the new owner is the one that's screwed with no way to pay off the phone (privacy laws won't give that person access to any financial details).

Or…there are deals and the carrier sells the phones at a loss expecting to make up the charge in offering service. But that doesn't happen. A while back, when Boost was still a Sprint MVNO, it offered 1st gen iPhone SEs for $79. They sold a massive amount of them, and many of the buyers went off to a third party unlock service, got them unlocked and took them to their own carriers. Boost suffered the loss of underselling and never got service from those buyers despite part of the deal being signing up for a year of service at that price. Eventually Boost had to stop the promo early. They lost too much money on it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I remember when Verizon made some deal with the US government that they would not carrier lock iPhones if they could sell them. I think that lasted for a few iPhone models and they somehow got out of it. They claim it's to prevent theft in the supply chain. I was talking to a guy that worked at AT&T and it's crazy the power they have. They can remotely lock your phone with the push of a button. Even with a phone from another carrier or one you bought yourself. Of course they CAN do this but I doubt they're supposed to or allowed to.
The deal with Verizon was with the FCC. The FCC allowed them to use a specific radio frequency and in exchange all Verizon phones were to come unlocked out of the box. This has changed in the last two years and it's now 60 days.

Three years ago or so I leveraged this to get my old Sprint iPhone 5 unlocked. I had it replaced at the Apple store (swelling battery) and was allowed to choose my carrier. I chose Verizon (despite being on T-Mobile) and that agreement forced the phone to unlock. I was using it on T-Mobile shortly after that.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
In my country, phones are sold unlocked as well. Also, each phone OEM takes the burden for customer service and support of their phones. Ie. the carriers bare no responsibility at all on anything wrong with the phone. Seems like it's different with US since I see people contacting their carriers for support of their phones.
Apple is the only phone that I'm aware of where the OEM takes burden of customer service. If you have problems with a non Apple phone your carrier or insurance if you have that is your only way to get help. Before someone mentions it yes I know Samsung has some stores but their support isn't even close to the level of Apple's support. You get someone who is mostly a sales person that has a little knowledge of phones to help.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We almost had something like that. When Obama was president there was a lot of talk. US carriers aren't dumb, rather than get regulated and forced into unlocking, they took a proactive stance and OFFERED free unlocking for paid off phones. They created an industry agreement and presented that as a fait accompli. Congress backed off. So, we have a middle ground because the carriers didn't want to get regulated.

hyelton

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
Yeah, I think second and fourth options is the best choice. In my country, iPhone is locked by carrier from America, which is one of the most popular iPhone for everyone because it is much cheaper than global version. With third party, I have my iPhone's information like the capture, can you recommend an online third party unlock service, bro?

If that’s your iPhone info. Saying “unpaid bills” That phone is mostly good for just parts nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.