Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple is the only phone that I'm aware of where the OEM takes burden of customer service. If you have problems with a non Apple phone your carrier or insurance if you have that is your only way to get help. Before someone mentions it yes I know Samsung has some stores but their support isn't even close to the level of Apple's support. You get someone who is mostly a sales person that has a little knowledge of phones to help.
I think both Samsung and Google are trying to do that as well, but the problem is that the ship has already sailed. Apple is in this position because they bothered to make agreements with the carriers from the very beginning.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
We almost had something like that. When Obama was president there was a lot of talk. US carriers aren't dumb, rather than get regulated and forced into unlocking, they took a proactive stance and OFFERED free unlocking for paid off phones. They created an industry agreement and presented that as a fait accompli. Congress backed off. So, we have a middle ground because the carriers didn't want to get regulated.
I think that's a good thing. Regulations often end up meaning higher prices for consumers. I would rather see companies threatened with regulations to the point they decide to do the right thing.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think that's a good thing. Regulations often end up meaning higher prices for consumers. I would rather see companies threatened with regulations to the point they decide to do the right thing.
Well, the problem with it is the holes. Because of this agreement, the 'law' that Obama did get passed allows the carriers to create their own exceptions, even when a phone is paid off.

My old iPhone 5 was one of those exceptions because it was never 'designed to be unlocked' according to Sprint. However, the fact that I actually got it unlocked later proves what a lie that was.

I'd be much more amenable to the agreement the carriers have if the holes could/would be closed.

• Love
Reactions: russell_314

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Thank for your answer, at present, I cannot contact my friend because I have lost his information, so I don't know he has paid it off and I live in Vietnam. Is there other way, bro?
You might want to try 3rd party unlocking services. You’ll pay more of course but that’s an option.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
No one is suspicious that a "new" person is asking how to unlock a locked phone? I find it odd how this "friend" gave him a phone but he can't seem to get a hold of that "friend".

Reactions: Apple OC

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No one is suspicious that a "new" person is asking how to unlock a locked phone? I find it odd how this "friend" gave him a phone but he can't seem to get a hold of that "friend".
See option number 5 (the last one) in post #7.

OP was looking for a scalpel - I used a 12 gauge shotgun (both barrels, or a Spas - take your pick).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.