Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Unfortunately updating to 10.12.1 via the mac app store or delta updater will not update the recovery partition.

However for many years since 10.7.2 we have been able to update it for EVERY point release using the method I describe below - and 10.12.1 is no exception.

How to update the sierra recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version:

1. Download the Lion Recovery Update from https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1464?locale=en_US . Put it into the downloads folder if it is not there already.

2. Download the full Sierra 10.12.1 installer from the mac app store and right click on the Install macOS Sierra.app file and click Show Package Contents. Go to Contents/SharedSupport/. Copy the InstallESD.dmg file into your Downloads folder.

3. Download and decompress the file recovery.sh.zip from http://4unitmaths.com/recovery.sh.zip and move recovery.sh into your Downloads folder if it's not there already.

4. Open Terminal and type the following commands:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/recovery.sh

sudo ~/Downloads/recovery.sh

5. Wait a few minutes for it to finish and return back to a prompt. Reboot with holding down the option key to test your 10.12.1 recovery partition.

Here are before and after photos:

Before:

1.png

After:

2.png

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I have encountered this problem in previous versions of OS X, I forgot to check my current Sierra install so thanks for the reminder. What's the technical reason for this screw up?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
I have encountered this problem in previous versions of OS X, I forgot to check my current Sierra install so thanks for the reminder. What's the technical reason for this screw up?

It's not really a screw up. It's just how it is. And it's how it has always been since Lion.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
It is not a problem and there is no reason to update the recovery partition.

Well just because you don't want to update your computer doesn't mean others won't want to.

I think we've had this conversation before haven't we?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
It is not a problem and there is no reason to update the recovery partition.
Because there is an updated recovery partition available with each new version indicates to me there might be (not necessarily that there are) updated tools or functions in the recovery partition. When the time comes that I might actually need to use the recovery partition, I want the current versions of tools to use in recovering. That is why I update it every time.

Not everyone downloads the full install package from the App Store, I get that, and not everyone wants to. Personally, it's done in the background, and I like to make the USB installer stick for each version. It is another handy recovery tool. I have used it a couple of times in the past to downgrade a version, when Apple puts out a buggy update. If you do download the full installer, then you have the InstallESD.dmg on hand and updating the recovery partition is a snap, taking a couple of minutes. If you don't routinely download the full installer package, then doing so just to update the recovery partition is extra work and you can probably get by OK.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Yes we did, and you never provided any reason to do this.

If apple didn't want you to update the recovery partition they wouldn't continue to allow the method I posted to work.

Furthermore there are 2 other ways to update it too.

One is to just run the full installer even if the system has already been updated. But that is like opening a nut with a sledge hammer.

A rather more elegant way is to run what is called a "recovery update". In fact apple have released such an update for sierra for developers, so clearly apple do see a need for the recovery partition to be updated.

If you want to argue about whether we need to update the recovery partition, argue with them instead.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Because there is an updated recovery partition available with each new version indicates to me there might be (not necessarily that there are) updated tools or functions in the recovery partition. When the time comes that I might actually need to use the recovery partition, I want the current versions of tools to use in recovering. That is why I update it every time.

Not everyone downloads the full install package from the App Store, I get that, and not everyone wants to. Personally, it's done in the background, and I like to make the USB installer stick for each version. It is another handy recovery tool. I have used it a couple of times in the past to downgrade a version, when Apple puts out a buggy update. If you do download the full installer, then you have the InstallESD.dmg on hand and updating the recovery partition is a snap, taking a couple of minutes. If you don't routinely download the full installer package, then doing so just to update the recovery partition is extra work and you can probably get by OK.
Thing is, with some of the point updates Apple does update the recovery partition. So I think the safe assumption is if there is an update needed, Apple will do it for you. I have yet to see anybody show any benefit whatsoever from doing this.
[doublepost=1477933609][/doublepost]
If apple didn't want you to update the recovery partition they wouldn't continue to allow the method I posted to work.

Furthermore there are 2 other ways to update it too.

One is to just run the full installer even if the system has already been updated. But that is like opening a nut with a sledge hammer.

A rather more elegant way is to run what is called a "recovery update". In fact apple have released such an update for sierra for developers, so clearly apple do see a need for the recovery partition to be updated.

If you want to argue about whether we need to update the recovery partition, argue with them instead.
So your only argument is Apple has not blocked the convoluted process you explained, so it must be necessary to do. Got it.

Again, you have yet to provide any tangible evidence this does a single thing that would benefit anybody.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
you have yet to provide any tangible evidence this does a single thing that would benefit anybody.

What I have done is to provide instructions on how to update it.

Whether you want to or not is up to you. I don't need to make that decision for you.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
you have yet to provide any tangible evidence this does a single thing that would benefit anybody.

Look what apple put in my mac app store on one of my other computers:

macos -recovery-hd-update-2.0.png

After installing, it updated the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version.

Not everyone can get this in the mac app store, and then they can do it using the method in my first post instead.

But clearly this demonstrates that apple want us to update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version.

And I quote from apple:

"macOS Recovery HD Update 2.0"

"The macOS Sierra Recovery Update includes improvements to macOS Recovery and is recommended for all users running Sierra."

So I guess if that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Look what apple put in my mac app store on one of my other computers:

I am not seeing that update available. If Apple thought we all needed it, it would be available to all users.

I have only seen that update on betas before. What OS version are you seeing that update in and have you run betas, which would explain why you are seeing it.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
I am not seeing that update available. If Apple thought we all needed it, it would be available to all users.

I have only seen that update on betas before. What OS version are you seeing that update in and have you run betas, which would explain why you are seeing it.

Well apple are already on record for saying that updating the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version is recommended for ALL users of sierra.

How you do that is up to you - and even whether you want to follow that advice is also up to you.

There are already 2 methods available to everyone, namely the lion method in my first post, and secondly to run the full installer of 10.12.1 even if the system has already been updated to 10.12.1.

There are some undesirable consequences of the second method:

1. If you have since updated some apps like safari or itunes, this method will actually downgrade those apps requiring a reinstallation again for those apps.

2. If you have reverted core storage it will convert back to core storage - requiring a revert again.

3. It takes an awfully longer time to do.

The third method whereby the update appears in the mac app store is not available to everyone, and even when it is it only appears once in a blue moon, and not for all point releases, only some of them - whereas the first 2 methods work for ALL point releases.

Furthermore there is a 4th method which I don't recommend. If you google this stuff you will discover that there is an app for it. Unfortunately this app is ILLEGAL. The reason it is illegal is that it has extracted part of recovery hd update called dmtest. dmtest is proprietary software owned by apple and they are breaking the law by inserting it into their app and publishing it on the net.

The reason the lion method still works is that that is the only legal way anyone can access dmtest. The recovery.sh file simply runs dmtest from the lion recovery hd update and applies it to ANY point release from 10.7.2 right up to 10.12.1 and counting - all of which is perfectly legal - and dare I say, is better than any other method.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well apple are already on record for saying that updating the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version is recommended for ALL users of sierra.

I like how you completely avoided answering my question. You only get this update in your screenshot if you are on the beta. Your intentional omission of that fact causes you to have zero credibility.

Again, if Apple thought users needed to update the recovery partition, they would update it for you. This is a complete waste of time and not needed.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
zero credibility

I will leave it to others to decide my credibility based on whether the method I posted in my first post works or not.

It does, by the way.

I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't.

This is a complete waste of time and not needed.

Again I say that if this is your attitude then you can argue with apple about it, not with me.

Apple have already said that you should update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version, so I don't need to add to what apple have already said.

Anyway the purpose of this thread really was to just give a method by which the recovery partition can be updated, not necessarily reasons why one should do so.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apple have already said that you should update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version, so I don't need to add to what apple have already said.
Again, you are intentionally being misleading. That screenshot you posted with the recommendation from Apple only appears if you are on macOS beta software. You know that, yet keep ignoring it because it does not fit your narrative.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Again, you are intentionally being misleading. That screenshot you posted with the recommendation from Apple only appears if you are on macOS beta software. You know that, yet keep ignoring it because it does not fit your narrative.

No. I already said that the mac app store version is not available to everyone. It is a very convenient method for those who have access to it. But as convenient as it is for those who have access, it is still not the preferred method because it isn't available for all point releases, only some of them.

I'm not avoiding it at all. I discussed it already, but still believe that the lion method is better because it provides a more complete, more reliable method for updating the recovery partition for ALL point releases, not just some of them.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No. I already said that the mac app store version is not available to everyone. It is a very convenient method for those who have access to it. But as convenient as it is for those who have access, it is still not the preferred method because it isn't available for all point releases, only some of them.

I'm not avoiding it at all. I discussed it already, but still believe that the lion method is better because it provides a more complete, more reliable method for updating the recovery partition for ALL point releases, not just some of them.
You know exactly what my point is and you are talking all around it because you know you intentionally made a misleading comment. You used the screenshot of the recovery update with the Apple recommendation as proof that Apple says people should update the recovery partition. You posted this without disclosing this update only appears if one is on the macOS beta track.

So you have posted a process that is completely unnecessary, then used an intentionally misleading argument to justify why anyone would want to do this.

Reactions: jbarley and joedec

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
You know exactly what my point is and you are talking all around it because you know you intentionally made a misleading comment. You used the screenshot of the recovery update with the Apple recommendation as proof that Apple says people should update the recovery partition. You posted this without disclosing this update only appears if one is on the macOS beta track.

So you have posted a process that is completely unnecessary, then used an intentionally misleading argument to justify why anyone would want to do this.

It could hardly be misleading when the screenshot itself says it a beta!

I didn't try to hide that.

But why would apple make such an update if they didn't want us to update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version?

Anyway I respect your decision not to update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version.

But why won't you respect other people's decision to do so, especially given that apple have recommended that that is what they should do?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It could hardly be misleading when the screenshot itself says it a beta!

I didn't try to hide that.

Seriously? You did not disclose this update is only on the macOS beta and danced all around it in two posts when I asked you about it. Now your defense is that it is disclosed in the fine print. I flat out asked you what version you were seeing this update in and you never answered and still have not.

But why would apple make such an update if they didn't want us to update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version?

I know you are not dumb, so I can only conclude you are just intellectually dishonest since you keep saying this knowing the update only appears if one is on the macOS beta. If you are on the beta, and Apple pushes out this suggested update, or course you should install it. That does not translate into a recommendation from Apple to install this on the non-beta macOS version.

Anyway I respect your decision not to update the recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version.

But why won't you respect other people's decision to do so, especially given that apple have recommended that that is what they should do?

I have no issue with anybody installing this if they feel so inclined. What I do have an issue with is your intentionally misleading comments trying to justify your recommendation people should do this.

Reactions: dickie001x

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Seriously? You did not disclose this update is only on the macOS beta and danced all around it in two posts when I asked you about it. Now your defense is that it is disclosed in the fine print. I flat out asked you what version you were seeing this update in and you never answered and still have not.

I know you are not dumb, so I can only conclude you are just intellectually dishonest since you keep saying this knowing the update only appears if one is on the macOS beta. If you are on the beta, and Apple pushes out this suggested update, or course you should install it. That does not translate into a recommendation from Apple to install this on the non-beta macOS version.

I have no issue with anybody installing this if they feel so inclined. What I do have an issue with is your intentionally misleading comments trying to justify your recommendation people should do this.

It's not so much the version which determines whether you see it in the mac app store, but rather whether or not you have installed the beta configuration utility.

Also it wasn't my recommendation. It was apple's.

Again the purpose of the thread was just to provide a method, not necessarily a reason.

But apple provided a reason - so I didn't need to. ;)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
only on the beta!

Actually the recovery hd update shows up in the mac app store on the public release of 10.12.1 after installing the beta configuration utility. That utility just gives you access to beta software, whether it be systems, or other things like this update.

So it doesn't have to be on the beta, as you say, just on a system that has the beta configuration utility installed.

Stop misleading people

It is just 1 of 4 methods available to update the recovery partition. There is nothing misleading about it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is just 1 of 4 methods available to update the recovery partition. There is nothing misleading about it.

I have to give you credit, you are really good at trying to wiggle out of what you said. You were intentionally misleading about your proof that Apple recommends updating the recovery partition as you have suggested. You know it and anybody reading this thread knows it.

Reactions: dickie001x
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.