Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
I have to give you credit, you are really good at trying to wiggle out of what you said. You were intentionally misleading about your proof that Apple recommends updating the recovery partition as you have suggested. You know it and anybody reading this thread knows it.

Apple created the update and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think it was necessary. I never misled anyone about the fact that it was a beta. It even said so in the screenshot itself. You know it and anybody reading this thread knows it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apple created the update and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think it was necessary.

I completely agree if you are on the beta, but that is not what this thread is about and that is not what you said.

I never misled anyone about the fact that it was a beta. It even said so in the screenshot itself. You know it and anybody reading this thread knows it.

Okay, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
whatever you say.

There is something about this stuff which I haven't said yet. But I'm going to say it now.

I said before that the 10.12.1 delta system update won't update the recovery partition. But what should also be said is that it CAN'T update the recovery partition.

That is why other methods are needed in the first place. And there are 4:

1. My preferred method as per the first post: run dmtest from lion recovery hd update via recovery.sh as applied to the 10.12.1. (This is perfectly legal in contrast to method 4)

2. Or run the full installer for 10.12.1 - despite the fact you may end up with downgraded apps and have to then update them again.

3. Or if you are a developer, get the Sierra Recovery HD Update via the mac app store. This however is not available to the public.

4. Or use an illegal app which stole dmtest from apple and used it in their app.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
And it works for 10.12.2 now too.

Here is an updated 10.12.2 recovery partition:

recovery 10.12.2.png

I used the lion method for this one.

Reactions: blackberrycubed

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Does this allow a fresh install of 10.12.2 via recovery ?

If you want a clean install it's probably quicker to do it via a bootable usb instead of the recovery partition since the whole installer is already on the bootable usb, whereas if you want to install via the recovery partition, it will have to redownload the installer - taking more time. I made a thread for making a bootable usb here if you need it: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ler-for-sierra-gm-and-public-release.1992501/

Here are apple's instructions on how to use macos recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201314

Last edited:
Reactions: blackberrycubed

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
What's the deal with you two? Always going at it. Did you try to diddle the same girl back in school or something?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Lion method still working for 10.12.3.

I used that method to update my recovery partition to a 10.12.3 version:

10.12.3recovery.png

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Unfortunately updating to 10.12.1 via the mac app store or delta updater will not update the recovery partition.

However for many years since 10.7.2 we have been able to update it for EVERY point release using the method I describe below - and 10.12.1 is no exception.

How to update the sierra recovery partition to a 10.12.1 version:

1. Download the Lion Recovery Update from https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1464?locale=en_US . Put it into the downloads folder if it is not there already.

2. Download the full Sierra 10.12.1 installer from the mac app store and right click on the Install macOS Sierra.app file and click Show Package Contents. Go to Contents/SharedSupport/. Copy the InstallESD.dmg file into your Downloads folder.

3. Download and decompress the file recovery.sh.zip from http://4unitmaths.com/recovery.sh.zip and move recovery.sh into your Downloads folder if it's not there already.

4. Open Terminal and type the following commands:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/recovery.sh

sudo ~/Downloads/recovery.sh

5. Wait a few minutes for it to finish and return back to a prompt. Reboot with holding down the option key to test your 10.12.1 recovery partition.

Here are before and after photos:

Before:

View attachment 668971

After:

View attachment 668972

In the end I get this error:

<--[Local dmAsyncFinishedForDisk:mainError:detailError:dictionary:]

Creating recovery partition: finished

Cleaning up

"disk3" unmounted.

"disk3" ejected.

"disk4" unmounted.

"disk4" ejected.

touch: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist: Operation not permitted

Should we continue here? 2 copying //System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage/EncryptedRoot.plist.wipekey to /Volumes/Recovery HD/com.apple.boot.S/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage/EncryptedRoot.plist.wipekey: No such file or directory

Should we continue here? 2 copying //System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage/EFILoginLocalizations to /Volumes/Recovery HD/com.apple.boot.S/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage/EFILoginLocalizations: No such file or directory
[doublepost=1486026388][/doublepost]
Lion method still working for 10.12.3.

I used that method to update my recovery partition to a 10.12.3 version:

View attachment 685177

How can you see that drive who is in the picture? When I'm holding down the option key at boot up I only see my hard drive MacHD

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Don't worry about most of the stuff that gets displayed in terminal during the process.

The only important bit is "Creating recovery partition: finished" anyway.

If you see that somewhere it definitely worked.

If you can't see the recovery partition in the startup manager it is because you have a core storage volume which prevents the recovery partition from showing up there.

For many people that won't matter. The recovery partition is still there and can be accessed by holding down cmd r whilst booting up.

On the other hand if you need the recovery partition to show up in the startup manager you can revert the core storage as follows:

Run these 2 commands in terminal.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

Then restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

Booting to the Startup Manager with option key will then show the recovery partition.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Sorry if this re-kindles the earlier argument but it seemed to me the discussion missed the point that sometimes Apple has released a Recovery Update to all users (not just beta). They do not routinely do it for every dot release. My interpretation is that if, and only if there are changes in the dot release affecting the the Recovery HD which Apple believes are important they will release a general Recovery HD update on MAS. This doesn't happen very often so I assume most dot releases contain no or unimportant changes to the Recovery HD. Apologies if this point was made and missed it.

That said I always download the full installer for every dot release and run it over my install to get the latest Recovery HD as well as updating the OS. Running the full installer is very easy to do and is a useful problem solver sometimes, and running it has never caused me any problems.....and I am a self confessed update junkie.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
I always download the full installer for every dot release and run it over my install to get the latest Recovery HD

Yeah. As I said before, that is one of the 4 available methods.

It's usually OK to do it that way too if you want to .... but the point of the Lion method is that it is much quicker and only extracts the Recovery Partition update from the installer and ignores the rest. So this is much more efficient if the rest of the system has already been updated.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Yes I realise that is one of your four methods. Didn't mean to imply I was suggesting another.

Yes, sometimes there are one or two updates to after running the full installer. The other methods may well be quicker in clock time but I just do something else so doesn't use less of my time.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
It is not a problem and there is no reason to update the recovery partition.

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but there is a good reason to update the recovery partition for some users. DeployStudio. If you’re managing a significant number of Macs, and using DeployStudio for your imaging, when you create the NetBoot set it can cause issues if the OS version of the machine doesn’t match the recovery partition’s version. Again, not your average users issue I’ll grant you, but it is a specific reason why you’d want to do this.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but there is a good reason to update the recovery partition for some users. DeployStudio. If you’re managing a significant number of Macs, and using DeployStudio for your imaging, when you create the NetBoot set it can cause issues if the OS version of the machine doesn’t match the recovery partition’s version. Again, not your average users issue I’ll grant you, but it is a specific reason why you’d want to do this.

An extreme niche issue. :rolleyes:

The OP posted this thread as some sort of PSA clearly insinuating that Apple was at fault for not updating the recovery partition and that it was a recommended process for general users to use his hack, neither of which is accurate.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
An extreme niche issue. :rolleyes:

The OP posted this thread as some sort of PSA clearly insinuating that Apple was at fault for not updating the recovery partition and that it was a recommended process for general users to use his hack, neither of which is accurate.

It’s not a niche issue for sysadmins trying to do their job. I suppose developers and admins that are concerned about the lack of imaging support with APFS deserve an eye roll as well.

And no, he did not. The initial post describes how to do it in very neutral terms, a reply asks if there’s a technical reason for this “screw up” and the OP directly says it’s not a screw up, it’s just the way it’s been done since Lion. He makes no recommendation about general users doing it or not. He presents a method to do so if one is so inclined or needs to do so.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
It’s not a niche issue for sysadmins trying to do their job. I suppose developers and admins that are concerned about the lack of imaging support with APFS deserve an eye roll as well.

My point was that sysadmins doing their job that need to do this hack are a niche in comparison to the general Mac-using populace at large. I meant you no insult with the eyeroll. :)

And no, he did not. The initial post describes how to do it in very neutral terms, a reply asks if there’s a technical reason for this “screw up” and the OP directly says it’s not a screw up, it’s just the way it’s been done since Lion. He makes no recommendation about general users doing it or not. He presents a method to do so if one is so inclined or needs to do so.

Thank you for the correction. It wasn't the initial post but rather in post #12 where the OP claimed Apple was at fault and that his was a recommended workaround.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Can I use this method to create a recovery partition from scratch? Or will it only update an existing partition? After a Time Machine restore mine is completely missing.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Can I use this method to create a recovery partition from scratch? Or will it only update an existing partition? After a Time Machine restore mine is completely missing.

Yes. It can be used to create one from scratch. Usually people ask me about this if they restored from a carbon copy cloner clone which sometimes doesn't copy back the recovery partition.

It is unusual for time machine to behave this way however.

Are you sure it is completely missing? If there is core storage it may appear to be missing from the startup manager. But that doesn't mean it isn't there.

What happens if you try booting up with Cmd R? Even if the recovery partition doesn't show up in the startup manager this will still boot up the hidden recovery partition.

Alternatively you can check if you have a recovery partition in terminal with the following command:

diskutil list

That should list all partitions including the hidden recovery partition.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Yes. It can be used to create one from scratch. Usually people ask me about this if they restored from a carbon copy cloner clone which sometimes doesn't copy back the recovery partition.

It is unusual for time machine to behave this way however.

Are you sure it is completely missing? If there is core storage it may appear to be missing from the startup manager. But that doesn't mean it isn't there.

What happens if you try booting up with Cmd R? Even if the recovery partition doesn't show up in the startup manager this will still boot up the hidden recovery partition.

Alternatively you can check if you have a recovery partition in terminal with the following command:

diskutil list

That should list all partitions including the hidden recovery partition.

Pretty sure it's missing. CMD-R boots Internet Recovery.
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            999.6 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot                         650.0 MB   disk0s3
I have also posted about a partition problem I'm having here:-
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...disk-utility-from-recovery-partition.2064025/

It's probably related.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Pretty sure it's missing. CMD-R boots Internet Recovery.
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            999.6 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot                         650.0 MB   disk0s3
I have also posted about a partition problem I'm having here:-
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...disk-utility-from-recovery-partition.2064025/

It's probably related.

That Apple_Boot one looks very much like a recovery partition.

But it should look like this:

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

It seems that the name Recovery HD is missing.

So I actually think you do have a recovery partition, but it seems to be corrupted.

So maybe you could try the method I posted in the first post in this thread to make a proper recovery partition.

But before you do that you could try mounting it with

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3

If mounting it works maybe you could then simply give it its proper name Recovery HD without doing anything else.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
That Apple_Boot one looks very much like a recovery partition.

But it should look like this:

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

It seems that the name Recovery HD is missing.

So I actually think you do have a recovery partition, but it seems to be corrupted.

So maybe you could try the method I posted in the first post in this thread to make a proper recovery partition.

But before you do that you could try mounting it with

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3

If mounting it works maybe you could then simply give it its proper name Recovery HD without doing anything else.

Mounting didn't work.

Code:
Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount
If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option
If the volume is an APFS Volume, try the "diskutil apfs unlockVolume" verb

I'm going to try the instructions you have posted and will get back to you.

EDIT: Well that didn't work. Im getting:-
Code:
sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: Permission denied
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

EDIT 2:
I fixed the sudo permission problem by following the instructions in this thread:- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sudo-permission-denied.447812/

But your instructions throw up an error:-
Code:
Expanding RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg

Checksumming Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…

Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0): verified   CRC32 $E43B1327

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 1)…

(Apple_Free : 1): verified   CRC32 $00000000

Checksumming Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2)…

Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2): verified   CRC32 $4B6015F5

Checksumming Macintosh (Apple_Driver_ATAPI : 3)…

Macintosh (Apple_Driver_ATAPI : 3): verified   CRC32 $F1E8BA9E

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 4)…

(Apple_Free : 4): verified   CRC32 $00000000

Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 5)…

disk image (Apple_HFS : 5): verified   CRC32 $5C5AFC1B

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 6)…

(Apple_Free : 6): verified   CRC32 $00000000

verified   CRC32 $3436F997

/dev/disk1              Apple_partition_scheme           

/dev/disk1s1            Apple_partition_map              

/dev/disk1s2            Apple_Driver_ATAPI               

/dev/disk1s3            Apple_HFS                          /Volumes/Mac OS X Lion Recovery HD Update

Expanding InstallESD.dmg

Checksumming Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…

Protective Master Boot Record (MBR :: verified   CRC32 $A9C57BFE

Checksumming GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1)…

GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1): verified   CRC32 $D77F2898

Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2)…

GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Tabl: verified   CRC32 $6D9EBA8C

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 3)…

(Apple_Free : 3): verified   CRC32 $00000000

Checksumming EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B : 4)…

EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-: verified   CRC32 $B54B659C

Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 5)…

disk image (Apple_HFS : 5): verified   CRC32 $C16DFE8C

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 6)…

(Apple_Free : 6): verified   CRC32 $00000000

Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 7)…

GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table: verified   CRC32 $6D9EBA8C

Checksumming GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8)…

GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8): verified   CRC32 $38EE2A7A

verified   CRC32 $3B94F102

/dev/disk2              GUID_partition_scheme            

/dev/disk2s1            EFI                              

/dev/disk2s2            Apple_HFS                          /Volumes/OS X Install ESD

Building Recovery Partition. Please Wait

Donor=disk0s2 Image=/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg DoVerifyImage=0 DoRepairDonor=0

ChunkList=/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist 

Creating recovery partition: async call initiate

Creating recovery partition: async call exit success; operation now in progress

->-[Local dmAsyncStartedForDisk:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681f097b0

<--[Local dmAsyncStartedForDisk:]

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681f07260=disk0s2 str=Attaching disk image /Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg dict=(null)

<--[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x0=(null) pole/pct=0/7.000000

<--[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x0=(null) pole/pct=0/10.000000

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681c12490=disk0s2 pole/pct=0/16.000000

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681d07e80=disk0s2 str=Reusing recovery partition; no growth needed; host is a simple storage partition dict=(null)

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681d07e80=disk0s2 str=Checking and re-using booter dict=(null)

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681e17fa0=disk0s3 str=Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. dict=(null)

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681e17fa0=disk0s3 pole/pct=1/26.000000

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681d07e80=disk0s3 pole/pct=0/26.000000

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681c12490=disk0s2 str=Formatting booter dict=(null)

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681e18500=disk0s3 str=newfs_hfs: cannot create filesystem on /dev/rdisk0s3: Operation not permitted

dict=(null)

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681d07e80=disk0s2 pole/pct=0/95.000000

->-[Local dmAsyncMessageForDisk:string:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff684200070=disk0s2 str=Detaching Base System disk image dict=(null)

->-[Local dmAsyncProgressForDisk:barberPole:percent:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681d07e80=disk0s2 pole/pct=0/100.000000

->-[Local dmAsyncFinishedForDisk:mainError:detailError:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7ff681e18b40=disk0s2 errMain=-69832 errAux=0 infoDict=(null)

<--[Local dmAsyncFinishedForDisk:mainError:detailError:dictionary:]

Creating recovery partition: finished

Error (async): File system formatter failed (-69832)

Cleaning up

"disk1" unmounted.

"disk1" ejected.

"disk2" unmounted.

"disk2" ejected.

touch: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist: Operation not permitted

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Error messages are normal for this process. As I said before the most important part is

"Creating recovery partition: finished"

That's a good sign that something worked at least.

So see if it has created a proper recovery partition.

Maybe run

diskutil list

to see it has a proper name now

and boot up with Cmd R to see if it works.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Error messages are normal for this process. As I said before the most important part is

"Creating recovery partition: finished"

That's a good sign that something worked at least.

So see if it has created a proper recovery partition.

Maybe run

diskutil list

to see it has a proper name now

and boot up with Cmd R to see if it works.

Shows exactly the same as before. Still boots up in Internet Recovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.