Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I would like to update that I have since stopped using a case a few days after my last post in this thread. What I did instead is buy and install an ArmorSuit screen protector. It was a little fiddly to install, but now it's on the watch and looks great. Unless you know what you're looking for, it's almost invisible. I don't get into situations where my watch's case will get roughed up and was mainly worried about the screen.

Thanks to @staggerlee41, who mentioned ArmorSuit in a post and gave me the idea to check it out.

Reactions: staggerlee41

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
yeah Rolex owners that cost thousands don't put cases on them but you don't see them wearing them in situations where you might smack it on something.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
yeah Rolex owners that cost thousands don't put cases on them but you don't see them wearing them in situations where you might smack it on something.

Someone else mentioned this example and it’s not really appropriate. A Rolex is an entirely different material and has incredible construction that makes it durable. And Apple Watch is composed of aluminum and glass, which is semi-durable, but _not_ nearly what a Rolex would be on many levels.

Also, even striking the Apple Watch on a various angle, can cause a spider hairline scratch in the glass. Those bumper cases serve an intended purpose for smart watches, no one would _ever_ intend to cover up a Rolex, because at the fashion piece mainly.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
For me personally I see a Rolex as a high end fashion accessory destined to be worn with a high end suit for special occasions, that is unless you are a millionaire and can afford them like a regular person affords Casio's.

The Apple watch with all its features I see as a tool designed to make my day easier and to help me get fit, however due to its more mobile phone like construction I do feel it is in need of some extra protection hence the case I wear it in.

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Without reading through the comments, I can say that I have worn the AWS1 Aluminium since it came out until two weeks ago when I purchased the Nike + AWS4.

I wore the AWS1 every single day for every possible situation you could imagine and through it all, I have 2 minor scuffs on the side of it. The glass and back are in excellent condition and it functions flawlessly (or as flawlessly as older AW can).

Now, the S5 Aluminium is made from recycled aluminium which may make it more susceptible to dings and things of that nature but I'm not sure.

For me, I simply don't like to place cases on my Iphone(s) or AW(s)... it just takes away from the sleek look in my opinion.

That all said, I've never had a single issue with my AW(s) regarding durability so it boils down to personal preference.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I work in a restaurant and have never ever damaged an Apple Watch. I've been wearing Apple watches for nearly three years now and each year, I have owned a stainless and a aluminum and each year, both watches are spotless by the time I buy the next years watch.

I've probably banged my watches more at home on doorways than I ever have at my job. I've even had my seatbelt buckle slap right up against the face of my watches with no scratches whatsoever.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My son is a klutz and has a S4 with a caseology case and I have a S1 with the same case plus cheap glass protector. I noticed the other day that the edges of his case has paint rubbed off of something. No way in hell we are wearing these watches without protection. When we garden, trim trees, work with cement products, we simply take off the watch. They are still alive (and likely lovely condition) for 1-2 years now.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Well I’ve just noticed that I already have a couple of faint (you have to be looking for them) scratches on the screen.

It appears that my hands must have been grubby from work and as I’ve used the screen something on my finger has just lightly marked the screen.

As I said above scratches I’m fully expecting so it’s no big issue, total failure due to smashed screen was my biggest fear so I definitely feel that it was the right call to keep it in a case.

I’m fully expecting the Apple Watch to look something like my old Pebble by the time I’m finished with it, that thing looked like it had been to a war zone but was still functioning perfectly by the end, the only reason I replaced it was due to some software gremlins that would never be fixed due to the buy out by FitBit.
1575963412107.jpeg

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
I have a clear screen protector from K&L (super thin film) on my watch. They are easy to install (wet install) and if they are "done", I just toss them and apply the next one. They are practically invisible and serve me well. Maybe that's an option for you. They won't protect from drops or hard shocks (what your case is for) but they help with scratches of course.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I have a clear screen protector from K&L (super thin film) on my watch. They are easy to install (wet install) and if they are "done", I just toss them and apply the next one. They are practically invisible and serve me well. Maybe that's an option for you. They won't protect from drops or hard shocks (what your case is for) but they help with scratches of course.
I’m useless at fitting screen protectors, I tried some of those L&K ones the other day and made a right mess of it lol. The only screen protectors I’ve ever been able to successfully fit myself are the small flat tempered glass ones that I had on my Garmins and that was because they were so small and rigid it was almost impossible to screw up.

Plus I read one review saying it completely stripped the olephobic coating off the screen and to be honest after I went swimming with it, seeing how the water ran off the screen instantly so I could unlock and use it at the pool edge was awesome.
I was able to set a pool workout going after the watch vibrated to let me know it thought I was doing a workout.

As I said scratches are not really too much of a bother, it’s total failure due to smashing that is my biggest fear. The watch only really has to last 18 months as that is what my carrier contract for it is after that period I’ll probably upgrade like I do my phones.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
I had bad experiences with the tempered glass screen protectors on the apple watch due to the curved screen. I don't know about the olephobic coating as I never use my apple watches "naked", they get a screen protector the second I unbox them. So far, no problems, but we sure do have different use cases :)

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Well, I am very pleased by the strength and durability of the Series 3, i have been involved in an accident a few months ago in which I fell of an electronic scooter (Lime, horrible) and got launched into the air and gravity pulled me back and smacked my stupid face on the asphalt. I needed 6 stitches in my chin, my knee was black and blue and my right arm was broken but my iPhone and apple watch remained unharmed. iPhone in a case (and miraculously landed on its back, not on the front) but my watch was and still is completely unprotected. Only 1 small scratch on the casing, but still working as good as before. So yes, the Apple Watch is more durable than a forearm! ??

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I had bad experiences with the tempered glass screen protectors on the apple watch due to the curved screen. I don't know about the olephobic coating as I never use my apple watches "naked", they get a screen protector the second I unbox them. So far, no problems, but we sure do have different use cases :)
Yeah I figured the curve is why there aren’t many decent tempered glass ones for the Apple Watch.

The tempered glass ones I had on my Garmin’s were great, the Forerunner 235 with its large flush screen I whacked a couple of times and the screen protector smashed but the watch was immaculate, and the Instinct with its recessed screen in a G-Shock style body I put a protector on it and the screen protector didn’t even end up with a mark so was very impressed. Saying that though both of those were button operated and not touch screen so no fingers grinding crap into the screen when in use helps.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I also use the wet screen protector (2 years with same one). It works because I let it dry for 4 hours then put a caseology bumper on that keeps the screen protector from curling up on the rounded edges.

Reactions: Duncan68

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I also use the wet screen protector (2 years with same one). It works because I let it dry for 4 hours then put a caseology bumper on that keeps the screen protector from curling up on the rounded edges.

Do you ever take the case off to clean any grit that might get under there?

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I got an Apple Watch 3 a bit over 3 months ago. I literally wear it 24/7, except for instances when I'm moving furniture around or stuff like that. I take it outdoors for running, hiking, HIIT, rowing, swimming, I did rock climbing a few times with it etc...

It used to look almost brand new, but then one day I got back from the office I noticed a mark on the aluminium on the side, spot of about 1-2mm where the paint went off. On the screen there are two longer scratched but they are not deep. So I can only tell those if I get the screen perfectly clean and look at it at the right angle.

This stuff still bugs me, but it is not noticable in daily use. I wonder if the stainless steel would justify the higher cost for higher durability...

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
In my opinion, no. I have the Stainless Steel AW4 and it has a few scratches and scuff marks on the screen. I do use a screen protector but I still managed to get these. I'm working an office job, and I don't do any fancy outdoor sports. Still. I remember accidentally scraping the watchface on the tumble drier while unloading, that ripped the screen protector and left a tiny scratch in the glass. Then, I got my hand trapped behind a drawer, that also left a mark. Without the screen protector, it would have been much more damage, but the sapphire glass will also scratch by time. It may be finer, more superficial scratches, but still, they can be annoying. So I rather have a screen protector, sapphire glass or not.

Reactions: iDron

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Even though I feel the AW is such a nice piece of technology, it is a replacement for a traditional watch which is a piece of jewellery. I would have never thought about putting a screen protector on a traditional watch, so it also feels wrong to put it on the apple watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Even though I feel the AW is such a nice piece of technology, it is a replacement for a traditional watch which is a piece of jewellery. I would have never thought about putting a screen protector on a traditional watch, so it also feels wrong to put it on the apple watch.

Your logic is a bit misplaced. The Apple Watch sport display, [Assuming you have the Apple Watch aluminum model], as the Ion-X glass, which is essentially composed Not entirely of glass like materials compared to a regular Watch display that you would see on a mechanical watch. So a screen protector would almost be necessary in some cases (Especially given high impact activities), because they’re totally different types of screens, but more so, when you have OLED composed of ‘glass like materials‘ compared to a regular glass (Non-sapphire coated) display that you would see on a mechanical watch. So a screen protector would almost be necessary in some cases, when you have an OLED backlit display, it’s going to indicate more scratches because of the lighting from the display. The choice is yours, but there’s nothing ‘wrong’ about putting a screen protector on a smart watch display, when it’s not mutually exclusive to mechanical watch displays for different reasons.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Just wear the watch and enjoy it, don’t obsess over scratching it and worrying over things that really don’t need to be worried over. These watches are pretty durable and at the end of the day are 400 quid and have a pretty short shelf life. Just enjoy it.
Agreed. My Series 2 is now 3 years old. I wear it everyday, and the one scratch in the corner doesn't bother me nearly as much as trying to use a screen protector did.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
My series 1 SS still looks brand new despite being 5 years old and taking a few hits. No dents. Never tried cleaning scratches. Battery life is not too shabby still.

Reactions: millerj123

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I've owned original SS Apple Watch, SBSS Series 3, and SBSS Series 4. I have banged the faces into everything but the sapphire has NEVER scratched on any of them. The SS case got scuffs "by looking at it" but of course you could polish those if you wanted and the scuffs added character. The SBSS does not scuff. It looks brand new even now.

That said this fall will be a brave new year for me. I skipped Series 5 and will certainly buy Series 6 however I feel this year will be like the Series 3, the "last" of this design generation. I think 2021's Series 7 will be the big change to the look like Series 4 was so I'll inevitably be buying again next year too. Sooo... I am going to buy an Aluminum version of the Series 6 as my primary watch this fall, probably a Space Gray or whatever the equivalent will be called this year. I'm curious to see how well the ion glass holds up for me and how bad the case looks after a year... if I can "handle" the scuffs (not sure how OCD I will feel now) this would make me feel a lot better about upgrading every year and I wouldn't have skipped the Series 5 like I did this year.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I thought about using a screen protector but in the end decided against it.

I usually look after things so it should be fine. (took over a decade to get a scratch on the screen on my iPod!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.