Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Oh, and for the record, my watch is so tough it kicks sand in the face of other watches when we go to the beach. It also refuses to wear a mask.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
The digital crown on my S2 Nike Edition just failed after four years, and it will cost the same as a whole new watch to fix. So I'm waiting for the next update before replacing it.

I didn't even subject it to much battery (aside from sunscreen smears) so I guess it just bad luck.

This follows an AirPod failing after two years and an iMac arriving DOA. My lifelong Apple loyalty has been sorely tested lately.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The digital crown on my S2 Nike Edition just failed after four years, and it will cost the same as a whole new watch to fix. So I'm waiting for the next update before replacing it.

I didn't even subject it to much battery (aside from sunscreen smears) so I guess it just bad luck.

This follows an AirPod failing after two years and an iMac arriving DOA. My lifelong Apple loyalty has been sorely tested lately.

That’s unfortunate your digital crown failed. That’s a really rare failure, unless the O-ring seal popped out (or) the digital crown ‘locked up’ completely where it won’t rotate. That’s only Failures that I am aware of.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
That’s unfortunate your digital crown failed. That’s a really rare failure, unless the O-ring seal popped out (or) the digital crown ‘locked up’ completely where it won’t rotate. That’s only Failures that I am aware of.

Not sure the exact problem. The "push" function still works, not the "turn" (even though it still physically turns). But it must be sending a constant signal cos it's killing the battery.

I actually suspected a simple battery failure till the Genius Bar told me it was the crown.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Not sure the exact problem. The "push" function still works, not the "turn" (even though it still physically turns). But it must be sending a constant signal cos it's killing the battery.

I actually suspected a simple battery failure till the Genius Bar told me it was the crown.
Ah .. mine went exactly the same way. Turning the crown did nothing at all however the controller was still sending random signals so the screen bounced up and down a little constantly and that meant it never turned off so it would burn through battery 20% an hour or more. It was instantly completely unusable.

This all happened the day before Singapore closed all the retail stores, Apple had already shut its store, so my wife just picked a new one up from a retailer on her way home that day, just before they shut up shop and I threw the old one in the drawer. It's worth knowing that fixing it would cost as much as a new one, I won't even bother making an appointment.

Oh ... I only got about 18 months out of it, and it was not roughly used or dropped, which I consider pretty bad.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ah .. mine went exactly the same way. Turning the crown did nothing at all however the controller was still sending random signals so the screen bounced up and down a little constantly and that meant it never turned off so it would burn through battery 20% an hour or more. It was instantly completely unusable.

This all happened the day before Singapore closed all the retail stores, Apple had already shut its store, so my wife just picked a new one up from a retailer on her way home that day, just before they shut up shop and I threw the old one in the drawer. It's worth knowing that fixing it would cost as much as a new one, I won't even bother making an appointment.

Oh ... I only got about 18 months out of it, and it was not roughly used or dropped, which I consider pretty bad.

Apple probably would have replaced it if it was only 18 months old. My wife’s S2 was nearly two and a half years old when it died and Apple said had she bought it with them, they’d have replaced it. I’ve had a Series 5 Nike replaced via post since lockdown too. Might have been worth a try for you?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If it’s doing that, then it’s not even repairable. The whole watch would have to be replaced. The digital crown is directly connected to the controller, which is what is causing your ‘battery drainage‘. But I don’t understand what is causing that problem in the first place. My guess is, the watch maybe took a ‘hard-hit‘ and caused it to malfunction.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
If it’s doing that, then it’s not even repairable. The whole watch would have to be replaced. The digital crown is directly connected to the controller, which is what is causing your ‘battery drainage‘. But I don’t understand what is causing that problem in the first place. My guess is, the watch maybe took a ‘hard-hit‘ and caused it to malfunction.

It's possible. It dd take a hit recently but I'm pretty sure that was after I started noticing "battery" issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.