Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I can't think of a single Windows only app that I commonly use nowadays. Office 365 is available on Android, and most of my stuff are in the cloud. The most common used app on my PC is the browser anyway. I'm really warming up to the idea of having an Android tablet to replace my Windows laptop. I'm eyeing on the Galaxy Tab S6 lite as it starts to get discounted in my country. But I have my external devices, and I prefer having a large external monitor for my computing.

Can I connect an external monitor, USB keyboard, mouse, and external drives? The problem with tablets is that there is only one sole USB-C port. Can I use a USB-C hub with the required legacy ports like HDMI and USB-A to get all my current devices connected, and also charge the tablet? Does Android support NTFS external drives?

Wanting to hear any suggestions/advice from you guys.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I can't think of a single Windows only app that I commonly use nowadays. Office 365 is available on Android, and most of my stuff are in the cloud. The most common used app on my PC is the browser anyway. I'm really warming up to the idea of having an Android tablet to replace my Windows laptop. I'm eyeing on the Galaxy Tab S6 lite as it starts to get discounted in my country. But I have my external devices, and I prefer having a large external monitor for my computing.

Can I connect an external monitor, USB keyboard, mouse, and external drives? The problem with tablets is that there is only one sole USB-C port. Can I use a USB-C hub with the required legacy ports like HDMI and USB-A to get all my current devices connected, and also charge the tablet? Does Android support NTFS external drives?

Wanting to hear any suggestions/advice from you guys.
The answer will greatly depend upon what you currently do with your PC and what you expect to do with an Android tablet.

Office 365 for Android (and for iOS) are extremely limited...in some respects more limited than Google Docs. If you plan on using MS Office, I strongly recommend trying out the web version of Office on an Android device to see how well it works for your needs.

I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) that I've been using daily for lots of things beyond just media consumption. (I have threads here on MR on the Tab A 10.1 and the Amazon Fire line of tablets that push them beyond simple tablet use cases)

I have been impressed with what the Tab A 10.1 can do and even more with a powered USB-C hub like the one from Anker. (which charges the tablet while using the hub) The Tab S6 Lite will be even better.

I've attached USB peripherals to it and they all worked as expected... bluetooth keyboards, mice, keyboards with Trackpoints, USB keyboards, USB mice, wireless presentation remote controls w/USB dongle, USB gamepads, thumbdrives, USB microphones, etc. I haven't found a USB peripheral that I have that it couldn't recognize and use.

Regarding external displays, that is something that I'll defer to someone who has a S6 Lite and tried it. Hardwired external displays are hit-or-miss depending upon the particular device. For wirelessly using an external display, I think it should work... I was able to use a Fire HD 10 with an external monitor (with a chromecast attached) in both display mirroring and extended display modes. I would be surprised if the S6 couldn't do it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The answer will greatly depend upon what you currently do with your PC and what you expect to do with an Android tablet.

Office 365 for Android (and for iOS) are extremely limited...in some respects more limited than Google Docs. If you plan on using MS Office, I strongly recommend trying out the web version of Office on an Android device to see how well it works for your needs.

I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) that I've been using daily for lots of things beyond just media consumption. (I have threads here on MR on the Tab A 10.1 and the Amazon Fire line of tablets that push them beyond simple tablet use cases)

I have been impressed with what the Tab A 10.1 can do and even more with a powered USB-C hub like the one from Anker. (which charges the tablet while using the hub) The Tab S6 Lite will be even better.

I've attached USB peripherals to it and they all worked as expected... bluetooth keyboards, mice, keyboards with Trackpoints, USB keyboards, USB mice, wireless presentation remote controls w/USB dongle, USB gamepads, thumbdrives, USB microphones, etc. I haven't found a USB peripheral that I have that it couldn't recognize and use.

Regarding external displays, that is something that I'll defer to someone who has a S6 Lite and tried it. Hardwired external displays are hit-or-miss depending upon the particular device. For wirelessly using an external display, I think it should work... I was able to use a Fire HD 10 with an external monitor (with a chromecast attached) in both display mirroring and extended display modes. I would be surprised if the S6 couldn't do it.
Thanks for your detailed sharing of your experience. My Office usage will be basic enough that even using Google Sheet will be fine.

But bad news. I checked Samsung website, and apparently the S6 lite doesn’t support dex. Only the S6 proper or the S7. I guess I’ll put that thought into the back burner and wait to save some more money... :D

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your detailed sharing of your experience. My Office usage will be basic enough that even using Google Sheet will be fine.

But bad news. I checked Samsung website, and apparently the S6 lite doesn’t support dex. Only the S6 proper or the S7. I guess I’ll put that thought into the back burner and wait to save some more money... :D

I use Dex on my Galaxy S5E tablet and it works fairly well. If I were to use this as a PC then I would probably opt for as many Bluetooth devices as possible rather try to route everything through USB.

S5e is a really good tablet for the money, BTW. And if I remember correctly I was considering the S6 lite but the performance wasn't there.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
File management will be different. I have an Android tablet and a Windows Surface device - file handling is easier on the Windows device.

If you want to connect a printer - it will need to be WiFi enabled - there is no direct (USB) connect like with a Windows device.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
personally...I don't think any tablet can replace a computer.
Agreed. At this point, my iPad Pro with a keyboard can’t replace my Mac and iPad at this point has a very strong application offering. There are still too many things I need a Mac for.

That being said, I could see having a tablet and a fairly modest desktop PC as a viable solution.

Install Remote Desktop and you can pretty much put the PC anywhere and control it with your tablet.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Agreed. At this point, my iPad Pro with a keyboard can’t replace my Mac and iPad at this point has a very strong application offering. There are still too many things I need a Mac for.

That being said, I could see having a tablet and a fairly modest PC.
yep...I tried it earlier this year with a ipad pro 11 and magic keyboard and all the accessories. It just can't compete with my iMac or Macbook pro.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
yep...I tried it earlier this year with a ipad pro 11 and magic keyboard and all the accessories. It just can't compete with my iMac or Macbook pro.
I’ve been going back and forth on the Mac situation in my house. I have the 16” which was my primary Mac and I have an iPad Pro. My grandfather bought a new Mac and let him have his old one. It’s brutally slow but it can do whatever I need a Mac to do.

I’m seriously still considering selling the 16” MacBook Pro even though I love it.

Reactions: jamezr

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Well, apparently I’m too hasty into this. Saw another video saying how you cannot have multiple instances of Microsoft Word on Dex, unless you use a workaround with another office app. Well that’s adding complexity, which goes against my desire.

Oh well, might just revisit this idea in 2 years or so...

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I have a Samsung pad, actually 2, to me they are pads and not PC like at all. I don't use them nowadays, they are too slow and I will not buy new pads.

However, I did buy a 2-in-1 notebook and love that! In fact, I will not buy a desktop again. A 2-in-1 with good power, a 27" screen and wireless keyboard + mouse is the perfect setup for me.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have a Samsung pad, actually 2, to me they are pads and not PC like at all. I don't use them nowadays, they are too slow and I will not buy new pads.

However, I did buy a 2-in-1 notebook and love that! In fact, I will not buy a desktop again. A 2-in-1 with good power, a 27" screen and wireless keyboard + mouse is the perfect setup for me.
This is similar to my current setup, an existing notebook connected to a larger external display and a fuller size keyboard and mouse. I was just thinking that my desktop usage are mostly using the browser, email, and Office apps, that it might be a good idea to try the new paradigm of a tablet as my regular PC. Alas apparently we're not there yet. I do have high hopes for future versions of Dex.

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
PC are more comfortable to operate. You will not be able to do multi-task on Android tablet as it will be very small in size as compared to PC and will also have less features.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
PC are more comfortable to operate. You will not be able to do multi-task on Android tablet as it will be very small in size as compared to PC and will also have less features.
If I can connect an external monitor, the Tablet’s own display won’t be an issue. Take a look at Samsung Dex. The current issue is that it cannot run the same app side by side, and that it’s only supported by few models.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
If I can connect an external monitor, the Tablet’s own display won’t be an issue. Take a look at Samsung Dex. The current issue is that it cannot run the same app side by side, and that it’s only supported by few models.
Your usage might be served by Surface Pro, or Laptop Go or Go 2. The tablet experience stinks, I only use with keyboard mode. The MS Dock 2 supports Enet, USBC, 2 x 4K display, USB. Pricey @ $179. Anker USBC hub works with the Go2 which has USBC.

My Samsung 8 Note was first time I used DeX. I thought, haven’t tried, just open Word or Excel a second time - can’t open another file at same time inside app. The S20 $799 with 12GB memory and SDXC handled DeX nicely.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Your usage might be served by Surface Pro, or Laptop Go or Go 2. The tablet experience stinks, I only use with keyboard mode. The MS Dock 2 supports Enet, USBC, 2 x 4K display, USB. Pricey @ $179. Anker USBC hub works with the Go2 which has USBC.

My Samsung 8 Note was first time I used DeX. I thought, haven’t tried, just open Word or Excel a second time - can’t open another file at same time inside app. The S20 $799 with 12GB memory and SDXC handled DeX nicely.
But in the end, it’s still Windows. The idea is simplifying my computing experience. But Android/Dex is not there yet, at least for what I’m looking for. I can wait. :)

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I also think that the tablet will still not replace the computer. Even in specific applications, something can happen that requires the use of a computer.

It probably makes more sense when devices such as Handoff complement each other.

On the other hand, does it really make sense to multiply devices to be able to finish something on another? If this equipment earns itself in the company by improving productivity, then it makes sense.

But otherwise, they're just expensive toys if you can send someone in iMessage talking poop from your computer :)

When it comes to simplicity and functionality, I just choose the phone and computer over cables, adapters, hubs, bypasses etc.

I love my pocket Leatherman multitool but I have a box full of normal tools in my garage ;)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I also think that the tablet will still not replace the computer. Even in specific applications, something can happen that requires the use of a computer.

It probably makes more sense when devices such as Handoff complement each other.

On the other hand, does it really make sense to multiply devices to be able to finish something on another? If this equipment earns itself in the company by improving productivity, then it makes sense.

But otherwise, they're just expensive toys if you can send someone in iMessage talking poop from your computer :)

When it comes to simplicity and functionality, I just choose the phone and computer over cables, adapters, hubs, bypasses etc.

I love my pocket Leatherman multitool but I have a box full of normal tools in my garage ;)
Here's my idea.
My current setup is a Windows laptop connected to a larger monitor.
Pros: desktop computing on larger screen. When needed, I can just disconnect the laptop and have... a laptop.
Cons: untethered, the battery life is not great, so even though it can be mobile, most of the time I'm still tethered to a power outlet. And Windows, as nice Windows 10 is, the clunkiness and quirkiness of Windows will never go away. Android imo is a much more stable OS.

What I was thinking, using an Android tablet.
Pros: same functionalities when connected to a larger monitor and use something like Dex, my most frequently used apps are just the browser and Office apps anyway. When I disconnect, now I have a long lasting and lighter mobile device with a much better tablet experience than a Windows laptop. Even better, Android tablets have full phone functionality. For a business, this is awesome as I can have the native Whatsapp client on it, and make phone calls directly if needed.
Cons: at this point, the desktop feature is not super mature yet. Samsung Dex doesn't allow multiple instances of the same app side by side, yet. Once this is possible, then I have less reason to keep using Windows.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
What do you think about the Chromebook? I do not know this solution, I only read. Unless you have to use MS Office?

Perhaps I will try it on an old laptop that is frying after starting Windows 10.

Edit:
Can you install Chrome OS on SD Card or pendrive and next to Windows (dual boot) for trying?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What do you think about the Chromebook? I do not know this solution, I only read. Unless you have to use MS Office?

Perhaps I will try it on an old laptop that is frying after starting Windows 10.

Edit:
Can you install Chrome OS on SD Card or pendrive and next to Windows (dual boot) for trying?
Interestingly enough, Chromebooks are not that popular in my country, thus hardly anybody selling it.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Problem with tablet OSes no matter if it's Chromebook, iPad OS or Android is this one: sooner or later you will need a specific desktop only app for something. You never know what that would be until you stumble upon it.

There are some great virtualization options like Blackberry or Citrix that can give you access to any desktop app but the setup is tedious.

Reactions: SteveJUAE and filu_

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Problem with tablet OSes no matter if it's Chromebook, iPad OS or Android is this one: sooner or later you will need a specific desktop only app for something. You never know what that would be until you stumble upon it.

There are some great virtualization options like Blackberry or Citrix that can give you access to any desktop app but the setup is tedious.
For now, probably.

There's a reason why I came up with this idea now instead of sooner. You're right, there were some Windows specific apps I used to use, in the past. However, as I looked back at my usage for the last few years, I am realizing that not only most of my data are actually now on the cloud, majority of what I do are mostly on my browser, email, and Office apps. In terms of apps, imo the new frontier of mobile apps are already at the level of good enough for most standard use, even MS Office/Google Docs.

The only thing left is side by side of the same app. I think iPad can do this now, but I'm not too fond of their prices, and they don't seem to act well with external monitors.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
Just today I managed to sell my iPad Air 3. Failed experiment of replacing the computer with a tablet. The keyboard does not make the iPad a laptop, but a 2x heavier tablet. The 10" screen is too small for some applications (spreadsheet) and the split screen is just a trick. Maybe if you display it on an external monitor it is a bit more convenient, or rather more readable.

Glad I changed my order and didn't buy an iPad Pro as it would be money very badly spent (in my case, of course). But even equipping the iPad Air with a Logitech keyboard, the Crayon stylus pushes costs near ... the Macbook Air (which is a nonsensically expensive, weak computer).

Don't take it personally, I just think I was at a similar stage as you and I was looking for the optimal solution, but it's better to use things according to their original purpose. The tablet works best as a tablet. As long as you really need it. I have fond memories of my iPad mini 5 that I had before Air - it was comfortable as an entertainment device - small, light. But I gave it to my wife and bought an Air thinking it would be my main device. When the experiment was unsuccessful, I took the nonsensically heavy Logitech keyboard off it, and so I didn't readily use it anymore ...

Reactions: SteveJUAE

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For now, probably.

There's a reason why I came up with this idea now instead of sooner. You're right, there were some Windows specific apps I used to use, in the past. However, as I looked back at my usage for the last few years, I am realizing that not only most of my data are actually now on the cloud, majority of what I do are mostly on my browser, email, and Office apps. In terms of apps, imo the new frontier of mobile apps are already at the level of good enough for most standard use, even MS Office/Google Docs.

The only thing left is side by side of the same app. I think iPad can do this now, but I'm not too fond of their prices, and they don't seem to act well with external monitors.

On my Tab S7+, I can open multiple file manager and Samsung browser. I'm not sure about most other apps though.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
On my Tab S7+, I can open multiple file manager and Samsung browser. I'm not sure about most other apps though.
I checked around and Samsung Dex cannot open multiple instances of apps like MS word side by side just yet. The recommendation is to use a workaround of using the Office app, but that made things more complicated imo. I'm sure it will come, but not now. So the wait continues. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.