Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I think the device we are all wanting is a W10 arm based tablet that runs both Android or W10 with ease

I spent the last 5 years trying to find a good combo of stay at home docked 15" laptop, portable tablet/laptop for travel and mobile

I have tried numerous devices (purchased, not this buy, try and return which is not available here)

I was almost settled with a Razer 15", Surface Go and a Galaxy fold, but the Gen 1 Go was still a little under powered especially for running an Android Simulator like Bluestacks to get the few essential Android apps I want outside my Fold and endurance at 5 hrs was poor

I parked the GO for the last few months and tried some of the new ultra portables that are far more powerful than the Go but 8" screens and cramped KB got the better of me with no real extra endurance

I was thinking of going back to the GO V2 with M3 but the price is daft considering you can get some amazing laptops now with 18 hrs run time etc etc with little compromise

I bought the wife the Samsung Galaxy Book S arm version and am very impressed with it's overall delivery and had it been a 360 degree variant with pen would of been the icing on the cake at $700

I think we are all suffering with Goldy Locks syndrome :D every thing is either a little too big or small etc

You would think if you want 70% Laptop/PC and only 30% Android/tablet it would be easier than the reverse, but it's just as troublesome

The trial and error continues sadly, my next iteration may well be Samsung 13" Flex at 1.3 KG Ntrig Spen 360 touch QLED screen and enough power with good endurance at $1100

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I was going to say the same thing. I am looking at a 128gb s6 lite to replace my iPad. As far as I knew DEX was an option with it now.

Reactions: derekamoss

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks for your detailed sharing of your experience. My Office usage will be basic enough that even using Google Sheet will be fine.

But bad news. I checked Samsung website, and apparently the S6 lite doesn’t support dex. Only the S6 proper or the S7. I guess I’ll put that thought into the back burner and wait to save some more money... :D
The tab S6 lite just for an update that allows Dex.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Tablets will never replace laptops. They're different and exist for a different use case. Tablets are best as media consumption devices and quick web searches. That's my primary use for the multitude of tablets I own, including more vintage models such as my 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1, to as modern as my latest iPad.

The idea of tablets replacing laptops is what killed Android tablets; Samsung just hasn't gotten the memo yet. The killing of Tablet UI by Google certainly didn't help--the Galaxy Note 2012 model still has Tablet UI (runs Android 4.0.4) and it felt far more 'PC-like' than a modern Android tablet with blown up phone apps, with Samsung Internet and a couple other Samsung apps being tablet-compatible, but not much else.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Tablets will never replace laptops. They're different and exist for a different use case. Tablets are best as media consumption devices and quick web searches. That's my primary use for the multitude of tablets I own, including more vintage models such as my 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1, to as modern as my latest iPad.

The idea of tablets replacing laptops is what killed Android tablets; Samsung just hasn't gotten the memo yet. The killing of Tablet UI by Google certainly didn't help--the Galaxy Note 2012 model still has Tablet UI (runs Android 4.0.4) and it felt far more 'PC-like' than a modern Android tablet with blown up phone apps, with Samsung Internet and a couple other Samsung apps being tablet-compatible, but not much else.
Apparently, you haven't tried a Surface Pro before because it's a tablet that definitely replaces my laptop and can be used for media consumption and quick web searches. The only reason I have another tablet now is for streaming movies on around the house because its lighter but not because its better.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Apparently, you haven't tried a Surface Pro before because it's a tablet that definitely replaces my laptop and can be used for media consumption and quick web searches. The only reason I have another tablet now is for streaming movies on around the house because its lighter but not because its better.
Things must have changed because when I had the surface pro 4 and used it as a tablet it wasn't a nice experience.

Most apps were still designed for desktops and it was all rather a little clunky.

However, the OP was asking about replacing a laptop with an Android tablet not replacing it with a Windows laptop with tablet like functions.

Reactions: Peterg2 and ian87w

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I found my surface 3 ok as a tablet. It's a little clunky'er than an iPad for overall useage, however it is completely useable, and quite enjoyable. Pen was just as good if not better than the pencil, Keyboard cover was miles better than the wonky ipad version and having a full OS is much better than iOS for most everything. As for the android tablet. At this point in time, android tablets from samsung are great. I like mine alot. I use it way more than my iPad now which just sits on my desk. I have on interest in my ipad anymore. iOS ran it's course with me and it's stale and boring.

Reactions: derekamoss

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would think replacing a pc with an android tablet depends on: a) how much of windows compatibility is one wiling to forego, and 2) is most ones work done with rdp?

I personally couldn’t do it, as I need 100% windows compatibility. But if windows specific apps and features aren’t needed it may be possible.

I have an SP4, it makes a lousy tablet under windows 10. My iPad is head and shoulders above the sp4 as a tablet.

Reactions: MarkX

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
You mean that one that froze on stage back in 2012? And cost about as much as a Mac? No thanks

Surface presentation FAIL

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
You mean that one that froze on stage back in 2012? And cost about as much as a Mac? No thanks

Surface presentation FAIL
Have you watched some of the old Apple keynotes with Steve? He had multiple products fail when trying to show something. That's just the world of technology and bad luck happening at the perfect time. It's kinda really narrow minded to think oh look, a brand new technology we are showing off that we arent even shipping yet failed on stage so it must mean all Surfaces are rubbage.If you are going to hate on another product, at least do it without looking like someone who just want's to hate on a product they themselves have never even attempted to try or learn.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I replaced my Windows desktop with a Surface tablet years ago. Now using a Surface GO2 for LightRoom (classic) editing - works fine. I prefer the lightweight, and pen support.
Switching from windows to windows is easy. Ha ha. I love the Go as well. Super device.

Reactions: max2

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Have you watched some of the old Apple keynotes with Steve? He had multiple products fail when trying to show something. That's just the world of technology and bad luck happening at the perfect time. It's kinda really narrow minded to think oh look, a brand new technology we are showing off that we arent even shipping yet failed on stage so it must mean all Surfaces are rubbage.If you are going to hate on another product, at least do it without looking like someone who just want's to hate on a product they themselves have never even attempted to try or learn.
I remember the iPhone 4 demo failing due to what was it? 155 wifi hotspots in one room?

I also recall another where his camera wouldn't turn on (battery died) and a Quake3D demo that failed, but I can't recall once a Mac up and kernel panicking or anything so severe. That Surface was priced the same as a Mac, was touted the 'iPad killer' and died on stage. Couldn't find a better form of irony than that!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The s6 lite now supports dex with the new update.
Yeah, but I found out that there's a limitation in Dex for multiple instances of an app. For example, I want multiple Word documents open at the same time. Can't do that on Dex, yet. Although nearly most of the apps I want to use are available on Android, I still need the capability of having multiple instances of the same app. I can wait, not in a hurry. :)

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I remember the iPhone 4 demo failing due to what was it? 155 wifi hotspots in one room?

I also recall another where his camera wouldn't turn on (battery died) and a Quake3D demo that failed, but I can't recall once a Mac up and kernel panicking or anything so severe. That Surface was priced the same as a Mac, was touted the 'iPad killer' and died on stage. Couldn't find a better form of irony than that!
There was one keynote where OS X failed and he made a banter about that's why we always have a backup. dont remember which it was though. Needless to say its probably worse for apple to have an iphone fail since that is pretty much their flagship product now. iOS is still also OS X/MacOS at the base so yeah even an iphone failing is comparable to windows failing.
I'm not trying to argue that Apple is worse or Microsoft is better. **** happens when it comes to demoing things especially electronics but it doesnt degrade the brand. It could happen to anyone. Apple Microsoft, HP, Samsung etc. If the m1 mac failed on stage it wouldn't make me think they are crap, just that they are demoing for the first time new technology in a real world event where anything can happen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.