Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Well if you look at the replies to these threads you will see that those of you who think it’s a big problem are definitely in the minority, I’m not surprised that this is so low on the list for Apple.

i really can not understand your resistance about low pixel response time. this is an issue, also a big issue because todays lcd technology promises very well quality about this but apple displays get worse and worse by time

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Fair..

I will say though, even though I don’t own a 16”, I use it every chance I get when I see them at Costco & BestBuy and the screen has given me pause...

Something they did made it so, for me, it crossed a threshold of “noticing” and it bothers me when using it.

I want to be clear that I noticed this on my own when first using one before I’d ever seen a thread about it here.
I agree, I own a 16" version as well as a 15" for me it also crossed a threshold of 'noticing' the effect. I use both machines and the difference is quite obvious even for the untrained eye. Is it a non-issue compared to the popping speakers? It depends on what's important to you, personally, I don't use the speakers quite often. The popping speakers seemed to be fixed in the last Catalina update, however the trailing effect probably won't be fixed in a software update, so what's worse a hardware issue or a software issue?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The OP's question is impossible to answer. Apple's 14 day return policy really is brilliant - you could absolutely return a machine because of the ghosting - Apple literally don't care. They might ask if you wanted to try another laptop in case you have a faulty one, at which point you could break out the ghosting test with the UFO to prove your point. But you'd still get a refund.

I think what is sometimes not clear on threads with issues like this is how many people are genuinely affected by the issue in the first place as opposed to those who find the thread, try to replicate the issue and are then up in arms about it. Which they have every right to do, but it can make it really difficult to understand the true extent of any particular issue.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
‘Smearing’ text while scrolling sounds like completely normal and expected behavior to me. If you want to read something stop scrolling. I don’t get it. Also on my iPhone right now the text ‘smears’ when scrolling just like it has on every other device that scrolls.

Smearing text means how bad pixel response time the device has... if i scroll slowly in mbp 16, the text get blurry and becomes like mud on the other hand, the older and cheaper notebook of my wife has more clear texts during scroll. This means there is a problem in Apple quality control department on displays. Why some people ignore or normalise this issue? We are talking about an expensive MacBook Pro (a dream, a premium product)

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Smearing text means how bad pixel response time the device has... if i scroll slowly in mbp 16, the text get blurry and becomes like mud on the other hand, the older and cheaper notebook of my wife has more clear texts during scroll. This means there is a problem in Apple quality control department on displays. Why some people ignore or normalise this issue? We are talking about an expensive MacBook Pro (a dream, a premium product)
Because (as has already been pointed out) we don’t know why Apple switched to panels with slow response time and there are plenty functional issues to be concerned about instead. This isn’t even an issue for people with low sensitivity.

EDS66

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2018
why didnt they mention it when they reviewed the first 2016 15" pros then?
I don't know why everyone is arguing about this. The new screens are slow. Period. I could care less about smearing of text while scrolling. I do however see smearing during video playback. Simple Youtube videos show ghosting and smearing. My 2018 13 inch shows none of these problems. I literally placed my 13 and new 2019 16 inch side by side, played the same YouTube video and saw ghosting on the 16 and none on the 13. I love the color gamut and brightness of the 16. But the ghosting/smearing made me return it.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I love the color gamut and brightness of the 16. But the ghosting/smearing made me return it.
They may be related, in that it may be harder to have both the accuracy/brightness and the quick response times, though I don't know of that theory being verified. May be more of a cost issue.

It's already been explained why people are arguing about it. Not everyone is you and has the same priorities you do.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I don't know why everyone is arguing about this. The new screens are slow. Period. I could care less about smearing of text while scrolling. I do however see smearing during video playback. Simple Youtube videos show ghosting and smearing. My 2018 13 inch shows none of these problems. I literally placed my 13 and new 2019 16 inch side by side, played the same YouTube video and saw ghosting on the 16 and none on the 13. I love the color gamut and brightness of the 16. But the ghosting/smearing made me return it.
My 2017 15” has worse ghosting than my 2019 16”. I guess I’m dumb and my experience isn’t counted

EDS66

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2018
They may be related, in that it may be harder to have both the accuracy/brightness and the quick response times, though I don't know of that theory being verified. May be more of a cost issue.

It's already been explained why people are arguing about it. Not everyone is you and has the same priorities you do.
Not sure about priorities. I just don't want to see smooth motion of a moving objects in a normal video instead of seeing contours smeared. Trust me I really wanted to keep the computer. But movies are unwatchable on it.
[automerge]1580538465[/automerge]
My 2017 15” has worse ghosting than my 2019 16”. I guess I’m dumb and my experience isn’t counted
And I am really puzzled by the dearth of acknowledgment of this by the "influencers". It is patently clear that Apple slowed down pixel response to enhance other attributes of the screen. For photography work, it's awesome. The color gamut and screen uniformity are superior to my MBP 15 inch 2019 and 13 inch 2018. But pixel response is abysmal, and it is especially egregious when viewing videos. Pixel timings simply cannot catch up with the action on the screen.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Trust me I really wanted to keep the computer. But movies are unwatchable on it.
To you. Most people don't notice, thus my point that different people have different priorities.

Influencers are mostly used to the response time of MBPs by now, those who even care about it.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
To you. Most people don't notice, thus my point that different people have different priorities.

Influencers are mostly used to the response time of MBPs by now, those who even care about it.
Agreed I only notice the smearing during text reading. YouTube videos are far from unwatchable

Reactions: Sanpete

EDS66

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2018
You guys can agree all you want, I speak from personal experience. Motion blur on the 16 inch MacBook pros is more pronounced than on any of its predecessors. Denying it is nonsensical. You can live with it, or you can return the computer. To insist that the current MBP 16's screen is as fast as its predecessors' is silly. It's simply not true.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
You guys can agree all you want, I speak from personal experience. Motion blur on the 16 inch MacBook pros is more pronounced than on any of its predecessors. Denying it is nonsensical. You can live with it, or you can return the computer. To insist that the current MBP 16's screen is as fast as its predecessors' is silly. It's simply not true.
Right but we don’t have any evidence that’s true except the notebook check measurement and the difference isn’t super great. Anyway, what we can deny is your claim that movies are unwatchable because most people aren’t bothered by trailing to the extent you are.
[automerge]1580543879[/automerge]
Btw people have been making the same complaints about the recent models for a while now https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/aid8ea Taking into account unit variance it’s not silly to say it’s equally slow as it’s predecessors. That being said it has a slow screen - but it being unusable is a you thing, not something everyone has to assent too.

Last edited:
Reactions: robvas

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Not sure about priorities. I just don't want to see smooth motion of a moving objects in a normal video instead of seeing contours smeared. Trust me I really wanted to keep the computer. But movies are unwatchable on it.
[automerge]1580538465[/automerge]

And I am really puzzled by the dearth of acknowledgment of this by the "influencers". It is patently clear that Apple slowed down pixel response to enhance other attributes of the screen. For photography work, it's awesome. The color gamut and screen uniformity are superior to my MBP 15 inch 2019 and 13 inch 2018. But pixel response is abysmal, and it is especially egregious when viewing videos. Pixel timings simply cannot catch up with the action on the screen.
What influencers are you talking about? I don’t watch YouTube videos or any crap like that. Everyone on this forum is so influenced about what other people say and don’t lmao. I’m done with this place

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
My 16" is identical to my 2015 15". Had them side by side looking at these threads and looking for the issue in real time, direct comparison.

They were the exact same.

Reactions: robvas

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I believe this smearing display could be fixed in past 4 years by Apple but battery concerns cause this kind of low quality choices

Last edited:

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Wondering if this might be an issue of sourcing of different panels, kind of like in the old MacBook Air days, where the Samsung panels was significantly better than the LG panels.

Personally I can scroll at normal reading speeds and read just fine on my MacBook Pro 16". Watching movies have also been a real treat especially with the amazing speakers on this thing. Then again, all my monitors and laptop displays have never exceeded 60Hz, so I could have back dated eyes. :oops:

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Wondering if this might be an issue of sourcing of different panels, kind of like in the old MacBook Air days, where the Samsung panels was significantly better than the LG panels.

Personally I can scroll at normal reading speeds and read just fine on my MacBook Pro 16". Watching movies have also been a real treat especially with the amazing speakers on this thing. Then again, all my monitors and laptop displays have never exceeded 60Hz, so I could have back dated eyes. :oops:

I wish it would indeed be an issue of sourcing. On my previous MBP I had a Samsung panel and it was really bright, colourful and no trace of smearing or ghosting. On the MBP 16 inch all panel are LG panels, so I guess they are more or less all the same and show considerably more smearing.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
The people complaining about this are just plain full of baloney. 120Hz monitors didn't even exist until about 10 years ago. Nobody complained about their video smearing before that. Movies are 24FPS. Watching 24FPS on a 120Hz TV can be a better experience because 120/24= 5, a whole number. 60/24 = 2.5 > so it won't look as smooth. But the new MBP 16" has a 48hz refresh rate, so you can watch movies with a smooth look! Seriously, if you can't be happy without a 120Hz or higher refresh rate, then go buy something that has it. Don't complain about the 90% or more of devices with the standard 60Hz refresh.

[automerge]1589650019[/automerge]
I believe this smearing display could be fixed in past 4 years by Apple but battery concerns cause this kind of low quality choices

Sorry Apple can't fix you. There is nothing broken about the MBP 16" - they never claimed to have a refresh rate over 60Hz, so why would you expect it? Go buy something with a 120Hz refresh if that's what you want. Geez.

Reactions: Camarillo Brillo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.