Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bcn

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2021
Hey all,

I live in France and the cheapest iPhone 14 Pro model retails at 1329 euros, that's 1441 US Dollars.

I've had an iPhone for 15 years and used to update every year, lately every two years, but now sometimes ask myself...

Moving forward, what really justifies to spend that crazy amount of money onto an iPhone vs. an Android alternative ?

For the same amount of money I could probably get 3 Xiaomi phones with equivalent specs.

Looking forward to all your thoughts :)

(I've got mine but am interrested into other people's take)
You are right, spent 1600 for the 14max. I could easily afford a new one every year, but I waited 5 years since I bought my iPhone X. Just wait more years like you would with a tv or computer.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd say the only justification you'd need to make is whether the cost of a new iPhone would set you back against another more important financial goal you may have or something else you want to do with the money. On one hand, of course we all must make sure our living expenses are covered and retirement on track, but on the other life is finite and saving every penny until you're in the ground doesn't make much sense either.

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
I cannot say I am in the same financial spot, but we (my wife and I) get by. We own two cars, the youngest being 10 years old and the oldest being 26 years old. We're in our own home (five years on after 21 years of renting). But we live paycheck to paycheck. Somehow, the bills get paid and we have most of the stuff we like/want and all the stuff we need.

I am willing to wait for what I want, even if that means getting it used or decades after it was originally for sale. In the case of iDevices I am quite comfortable buying a model that is 2-3 years out of date to get what I want. The interaction of my parents with either me or my mother losing out to my dad, taught me that it's best to wait for what I want - or be miserable with the latest thing that is NOT what you wanted.

Somehow, in the getting what you want, what you need is ultimately satisfied. Or maybe it's just that what I want is always more than I need, LOL! :D
I always figure everybody's values and ideas are what works for them and their situation. As you said, having most of what you want and all you need is really what matters. It's nobody else's place to tell you otherwise.

Unfortunately I like the newest and the best. My iPhones and MacBook testify to that. Ha. I know it's often overkill but it makes me feel good I guess and I don't second guess later. And I always want more than I need. Here you go Apple 💰💰💰💰!

SouthPalito

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Hey all,

I live in France and the cheapest iPhone 14 Pro model retails at 1329 euros, that's 1441 US Dollars.

I've had an iPhone for 15 years and used to update every year, lately every two years, but now sometimes ask myself...

Moving forward, what really justifies to spend that crazy amount of money onto an iPhone vs. an Android alternative ?

For the same amount of money I could probably get 3 Xiaomi phones with equivalent specs.

Because it is not a simple phone. It’s a small portable computer that works like an appliance and is supported by Apple for many years. Also the vast majority of people do not spend $1400 every year getting the top pro max latest model. Most People buy iPhones of all price points from their cell phone carrier on a three year payment plan with no interest.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I budget in the ~$400 it takes me to upgrade my phone yearly - sometimes I'll sell my old phone in great condition to offset the cost, sometimes I'll take advantage of those hefty carrier trade-in deals. I think last year T-Mobile gave me $1,000 for my iPhone 13 Pro Max and I paid $1,400 + tax to get the iPhone 14 Pro Max. No brainer for me. It's just a 'want' though, my justification is that I like it and want it - luckily I have enough disposable income to do that without guilt or regret.

A lot of people spend money on expensive hobbies (golf, snowboarding, lots of travel, classic cars, etc. etc.) but I don't have all that many hobbies. I find great enjoyment in having and using the latest / greatest tech, and I love that we're still able to get fairly significant YoY improvements to some aspects of the phone, like the camera system. I'll be upgrading again this year! Haven't missed a year since the iPhone 5s.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Hey all,

how do you justify buying a Xiaomi phone 😄

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I always figure everybody's values and ideas are what works for them and their situation. As you said, having most of what you want and all you need is really what matters. It's nobody else's place to tell you otherwise.

Unfortunately I like the newest and the best. My iPhones and MacBook testify to that. Ha. I know it's often overkill but it makes me feel good I guess and I don't second guess later. And I always want more than I need. Here you go Apple 💰💰💰💰!
Well, I like the best too - it just takes me a bit longer to get it is all, LOL! :D

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Unless there's a compelling feature, I will likely keep my 13 Pro for a couple of years before I upgrade.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Hey all,

ils se gavent sur le dos des clients .

dis toi quils ont les meuilleurs puces et que peu de telephone de petite taille comme le 14 pro peuvent se targuer d'avoir une aussi bonne autonomie

mais autrement c'est du foutage de gueule

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
I wouldn't.

I don't need to justify anything. It's my money and I will spend it on whatever I want to spend it on.

I will never understand this whole having to justify a purchase stuff or only buying what you need and no more.

Now, if I am unwilling to pay the price for something, then that just means I don't want it that much.
This! And nothing else. Great post!

My money, my rules. No justification necessary.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
In perspective, most people I know spend more than an iPhone 14 Pro Max servicing a car they drive nowhere every year and still make monthly payments on top of that which cost as much as an iPhone 14 Pro Max. I drive a piece of **** that costs me nothing to run and have plenty of money left for Apple toys.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I paid <$100 for my iPhone 13 Pro with a trade in of a 12, which I got for about $400. I’ve paid about $1200 total for 5 iPhones now over the past 9 years by taking advantage of promos. Less than $150 per year for an iPhone isn’t a problem for me to afford.

I don’t expect to pay more than $1000 for an iPhone as long as companies keep offering phone deals every once in a while.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Buy it on a 24 month telco plan. They amortize it into 24 monthly payments. Check your telco if they offer 36 or 48 month plans with unlimited SMS/voice calls/data

• Haha
Reactions: Squillace

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I paid <$100 for my iPhone 13 Pro with a trade in of a 12, which I got for about $400. I’ve paid about $1200 total for 5 iPhones now over the past 9 years by taking advantage of promos. Less than $150 per year for an iPhone isn’t a problem for me to afford.

I don’t expect to pay more than $1000 for an iPhone as long as companies keep offering phone deals every once in a while.
The problem with many phone deals is that the offers are usually for the lowest capacity models.

Extremely rare to get a promo deal on a 512GB or 1TB device.

And yes, the highest capacity offered is all I get when buying a new device.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I wouldn't.

I don't need to justify anything. It's my money and I will spend it on whatever I want to spend it on.

I will never understand this whole having to justify a purchase stuff or only buying what you need and no more.

Now, if I am unwilling to pay the price for something, then that just means I don't want it that much.

Will you buy me stuff?

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I think it’s better to rationalize buying one new phone every 2 or 3 years.
In the earlier times, iPhones would progress leaps and bounds every cycle. Things move more slowly now where an iPhone 11 Pro isn’t as far off the 14 pro as a 4 was a 6s.
But by that logic today an iPhone 11 to a 14 is 3 years (11->12->13->14). The 4 to the 6S was 5 years (4->4S->5->5S->6->6S).

Between the 4 and 6S we got better low light, dual tone flash, voLTE, LTE, Retina displays, larger screens, faster processors and better batteries. Since the 7 iPhones really haven’t had many changes. Yeah we got the body change in the X and 11 but hardware wise, we’ve gotten very little major changes. The Apple Watch has had more changes and updates until this latest generation.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Personally I don't. The only thing that could excite me about phone upgrades are improvements to the camera, but I usually tote around either a full sized DSLR or a compact mirrorless so this itch is totally scratched.

• Love
Reactions: sam_dean

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Personally I don't. The only thing that could excite me about phone upgrades are improvements to the camera, but I usually tote around either a full sized DSLR or a compact mirrorless so this itch is totally scratched.
Per market research of a decade or so ago the camera and the ability to share photos/videos was the top feature people would upgrade their phones for.

Same reason why I still upgrade other than enjoying a phone with the newest die shrunk iPhone chip. That's why I prefer the "S" model as it had a better performance per watt chip while the non-S model has the newest cellular network. Due to the lag time of rolling out 3G/4G/5G/etc I tend to prefer 2nd/3rd gen 3G/4G/5G modem.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Per market research of a decade or so ago the camera and the ability to share photos/videos was the top feature people would upgrade their phones for.

Yeah, I'm thinking of finally letting go of my iPhone X specifically because 5 years is enough time to see meaningful camera improvements, but being a photographer, I'm realistic that I'll still be disappointed anytime I compare my smartphone photos to my real camera photos. If you don't mind carrying around an extra gadget, you can save yourself a lot of money. Even a basic compact point and shoot still outperform flagship phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.