Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Light is light. Photos are photons.

It doesn't matter whether it's reflecting off something or hitting your eyes directly from the thing firing out the photons.
I’m glad someone replied after you, because as someone that owns an AVP and a movie room with projector, you’re completely wrong. It’s like why reading on an Amazon Kindle is way less eye strain than on an iPad.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

In fact, one of the notable advantages of projectors is their reliance on reflected light. Projectors utilize surfaces to bounce light, creating a softer, less intense illumination. This characteristic can be advantageous for eye comfort as it minimizes the harshness of light. TVs, on the other hand, emit light directly from their screens, resulting in a more intense image and putting more strain on the viewer’s eyes. So, projectors are the clear winner in this round of comparison.

LB0075-2-compressed-1024x576.png

Light sources can be divided into two kinds based on the path taken to your eyes: direct and indirect light. Most of the light sources we encounter daily from the fluorescent lamps above your heads to the TV screens in your living rooms are direct light emitters. This means these items produce light and it is traveling directly to your eyes. Direct light sources are harsher on your eyes in comparison to indirect light. To illustrate, staring at a flashlight beam directly is a lot more uncomfortable than staring at that light bouncing off a wall. Projectors utilize reflected light, which is less invasive to your sight and reduces eyestrain and other negative effects of prolonged viewing.

Yes, projector screens actually are better for your eyes. Projectors are able to produce much larger images, which put less strain on your eyes. In addition to this, projectors reflect light while TVs emit it. Reflected light is easier on your eyes, keeping your eyes comfortable without the added strain created by emitted light.

Projector screens do not emit light. In fact, these screens reflect the image directed towards them from the projector.

This helps to greatly reduce the level of light being captured by your eyes and, therefore, reduces stress levels on your optic nerve. For many, this makes viewing an image or movie much more comfortable.
Thank you. This is dead on.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

In fact, one of the notable advantages of projectors is their reliance on reflected light. Projectors utilize surfaces to bounce light, creating a softer, less intense illumination. This characteristic can be advantageous for eye comfort as it minimizes the harshness of light. TVs, on the other hand, emit light directly from their screens, resulting in a more intense image and putting more strain on the viewer’s eyes. So, projectors are the clear winner in this round of comparison.

Light sources can be divided into two kinds based on the path taken to your eyes: direct and indirect light. Most of the light sources we encounter daily from the fluorescent lamps above your heads to the TV screens in your living rooms are direct light emitters. This means these items produce light and it is traveling directly to your eyes. Direct light sources are harsher on your eyes in comparison to indirect light. To illustrate, staring at a flashlight beam directly is a lot more uncomfortable than staring at that light bouncing off a wall. Projectors utilize reflected light, which is less invasive to your sight and reduces eyestrain and other negative effects of prolonged viewing.

Yes, projector screens actually are better for your eyes. Projectors are able to produce much larger images, which put less strain on your eyes. In addition to this, projectors reflect light while TVs emit it. Reflected light is easier on your eyes, keeping your eyes comfortable without the added strain created by emitted light.

Projector screens do not emit light. In fact, these screens reflect the image directed towards them from the projector.

This helps to greatly reduce the level of light being captured by your eyes and, therefore, reduces stress levels on your optic nerve. For many, this makes viewing an image or movie much more comfortable.
That's why I have a huge mirror angled next to my TV—so I can get all the picture quality advantages of a direct-view TV, but with all the comfort advantages of reflected light.

/s

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

Those are just sources repeating hearsay, same as you.
Projected images are typically dimmer and take up a wider amount of your FOV. In a dark room, that's more comfortable than a smaller brighter screen.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

Sounds like a great story to sell expensive projectors.

Until someone actually gives a physical explanation, rather than link to some random internet site repeating an unsupported assertion, I'm just going to assume this is bogus. Reflected vs emitted isn't an argument. Photons aren't pool balls that lose momentum every time they bounce.

Projectors are dimmer than displays. The light source is being spread by an inefficient lens across a larger surface, and reflecting in a diffuse pattern. It's a matter of magnitude.

And a projector screen filling your field of view means your irises have adapted more accurately to the screen as opposed to a smaller screen in a dark room leaving your irises more open and with a more intense localized source.

If Kindles are easier on the eyes than iPads, it's not because they're reflective, it's because of the quality of the light source. iPads are getting better, but it's hard to beat a black body source like the sun.

To illustrate, staring at a flashlight beam directly is a lot more uncomfortable than staring at that light bouncing off a wall.

That's my favorite bit... 🤣

"To illustrate, compare staring into an industrial cutting laser versus the soft glow of the moon on a bedroom wall..."

Last edited:

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
If Kindles are easier on the eyes than iPads, it's not because they're reflective, it's because of the quality of the light source. iPads are getting better, but it's hard to beat a black body source like the sun.
I think one reason is that the light output on LCDs is more directional/anisotropic. Just a tiny change in viewing angle (even the distance between your eyes) has a fairly significant impact on brightness. Even if it isn't directly noticeable, I think it has a subconscious effect.

This is an example where I took a photo of a monitor LCD, an iPad, and a Kindle (with its front light on).
From straight on, all displays are equal in brightness, but as the viewing angle gets steeper, the LCD screens lose brightness, but the brightness of the e-ink Kindle stays consistent. (these were taken with a DSLR with the same manual settings for all 3 photos)
tAZWPUq.jpg

Reactions: Analog Kid

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Light is light. Photos are photons.

It doesn't matter whether it's reflecting off something or hitting your eyes directly from the thing firing out the photons.

Just to further underline this, so called "reflected" light is actually new photons being emitted by the reflecting material... Some work to cancel the incoming light in the direction of travel, and some radiate back toward the source. There is literally no physical difference between emitted and reflected light.

Reactions: Jony Ive

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Just to further underline this, so called "reflected" light is actually new photons being emitted by the reflecting material... Some work to cancel the incoming light in the direction of travel, and some radiate back toward the source. There is literally no physical difference between emitted and reflected light.
Hold a piece of printed paper next to an emissive display. You will not be able to make the display look like the printed paper, regardless of display resolution and color gamut, LCD or OLED. What's the difference, if not physical? Is it supernatural?

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Hold a piece of printed paper next to an emissive display. You will not be able to make the display look like the printed paper, regardless of display resolution and color gamut, LCD or OLED. What's the difference, if not physical? Is it supernatural?
I’ve actually been able to successfully do that. However, you do need a fixed paper and screen position and a fixed viewing position from a few feet away to not be able to tell them apart.

There are many tells that a screen is not a printed image
  • Even small changes in viewing angle significantly change the brightness/color of the display. (I’d like to see the MLA tech used in high-end OLED TVs in portable devices, I think that would largely mitigate that issue and make them more comfortable to use)
  • Screens usually have a brighter white point than would be possible by diffuse reflection.
  • Even with something like True Tone enabled, the white balance usually won’t precisely match the white balance of the room you’re in.
  • you can’t cast shadows on an emissive display.
  • some screens use PWM (but so does some room lighting)
I’d be curious to see how many people would be fooled into thinking a static image of a painting displayed on an MLA OLED hung on a wall was actually a painted or printed image. You’d have to calibrate it precisely for the place it it was hanging on the wall and the room lighting, but I think it could be done, as long as the viewer stays far enough away that pixelation isn’t visible.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I’d be curious to see how many people would be fooled into thinking an MLA OLED hung on a wall was actually a painted or printed image. You’d have to calibrate it precisely for the place it it was hanging on the wall and the room lighting, but I think it could be done, as long as the viewer stays far enough away that pixelation isn’t visible.
I don’t think it’s possible if the viewer is moving. I can imagine being fooled from a specific position and from a few feet away, as you say, if the brightness and color is exactly calibrated. But otherwise it doesn’t seem realistic. I suspect that another simultaneous viewer looking from a different position and angle wouldn’t be fooled. LG had those GX “gallery” TVs that were supposed to look like a painting hanging on the wall, but it was always very obvious that it’s an emissive display. Admittedly, the surface reflections are also a problem, be it glare or matte. I’d love to have a paperlike display (with better resolution, contrast, and colors than eInk), but it doesn’t seem feasible so far.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I’d be curious to see how many people would be fooled into thinking a static image of a painting displayed on an MLA OLED hung on a wall was actually a painted or printed image. You’d have to calibrate it precisely for the place it it was hanging on the wall and the room lighting, but I think it could be done, as long as the viewer stays far enough away that pixelation isn’t visible.
I was at a friends house last week and he had what I was absolutely convinced was a piece of art hanging on the wall. I was so convinced, that I didn't even bother to go look at it in detail.

Later on, we were watching football on it. It was of course a TV - I'll see if I can find out which TV it was.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Movie experience is the the biggest selling point on this thing so far. Video and audio quality are amazing. I’m coming from a Quest Pro and it’s not even in the same league. Love watching Max, Disney and Crunchyroll on this.

But is it worth $4000 after tax and AppleCare? I’m still deciding on that…

Reactions: zakarhino

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The emission patterns are different, as @Jensend mentioned, one is Lambertian and one is likely more directional, but I haven’t seen any explanation of how that causes eye strain…. Both emit a pattern than spans the eye.

If you put tissue paper in front of a TV to diffuse the light, is that better?

If you view the paper through a collimator, does it cause eye strain?

What do people think is magic about light originating from paper that affects the eye? Remember, the light is originating from the paper not the excitation source illuminating it.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I don’t think it’s possible if the viewer is moving. I can imagine being fooled from a specific position and from a few feet away, as you say, if the brightness and color is exactly calibrated. But otherwise it doesn’t seem realistic. I suspect that another simultaneous viewer looking from a different position and angle wouldn’t be fooled. LG had those GX “gallery” TVs that were supposed to look like a painting hanging on the wall, but it was always very obvious that it’s an emissive display. Admittedly, the surface reflections are also a problem, be it glare or matte. I’d love to have a paperlike display (with better resolution, contrast, and colors than eInk), but it doesn’t seem feasible so far.
Viewing angles on high end OLED TVs have gotten significantly better since the X-series LG OLEDs
I have a CX, which I believe uses the same panel as the GX. When viewing a white image from straight on, the sides of the image are noticeably cooler and dimmer.

GX on left, G3 (with MLA) in the center, Samsung S95C QD-OLED on the right. From rtings.com:

1707007321367.png

And even the GX has much better viewing angles than an iPad.

Reactions: HDFan

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The emission patterns are different, as @Jensend mentioned, one is Lambertian and one is likely more directional, but I haven’t seen any explanation of how that causes eye strain…. Both emit a pattern than spans the eye.
Each eye gets an image with slightly different brightness and gamma. It's not too bad with an IPS display, but I think it has some effect. Long ago I got an VA LCD, and I couldn't stand it because of the binocular disparity. TN panels in portrait have the same issue.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Movie experience is the the biggest selling point on this thing so far. Video and audio quality are amazing. I’m coming from a Quest Pro and it’s not even in the same league. Love watching Max, Disney and Crunchyroll on this.

But is it worth $4000 after tax and AppleCare? I’m still deciding on that…
It’s really good and probably the best thing about the headset, but there are some downsides. The image is softer than a 77” OLED and there is a screen door effect at times (similar to the Sanyo PLV-60/70 LCD projectors back in the day). Also, anytime there is white text on the screen you can make out the pixels. It’s just not as clear as the iPhone and Mac screen.

For $4,000 after taxes I expected a little more and that doesn’t include the glare which at times is a huge negative. I expect v2/3 to be much better in this regard. I can 100% recommend this for video for most people who haven’t owned a projector, but if you are a videophile, this is not the machine for you.

Reactions: soulreaver99

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Each eye gets an image with slightly different brightness and gamma. It's not too bad with an IPS display, but I think it has some effect. Long ago I got an VA LCD, and I couldn't stand it because of the binocular disparity. TN panels in portrait have the same issue.
A TV viewed close to straight on at distance makes that much difference viewed from each eye 6cm apart? That sounds like a remarkably bad display...

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
A TV viewed close to straight on at distance makes that much difference viewed from each eye 6cm apart? That sounds like a remarkably bad display...
No, that was in reference to desktop and handheld displays.

I have an iPad with a white border. I can adjust the screen color so it perfectly matches the border when viewed with one eye, but is darker than the border when viewed with the other eye.

Only one part of the border, though. I can't make it match the border color across the whole image because of the viewing angles.

Last edited:

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
Is the image quality of the vision pro incredible in movie mode? Yes, absolutely. The resolution itself is incredible. And you can adjust the sizing to your liking.

Are you going to get some form of eye strain after 2 hours? Yes, most likely. That's a function of two screens within inches of your eyeballs. You're going to get used to it over time, but in many ways its unavoidable and a deterrent for me in general with the vision pro.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Movie viewing on this thing is incredible. I have an OLED and have owned projectors.

i have been watching clips of movies from Apple tv Max Disney Amazon YouTube. Paramount. All beautiful
except when it’s a v old movie then you can see graininess.

the iMax experience on this alone makes it worthwhile for me.
I can’t carry my home theater around w me.
photos look gorgeous.

I had initially bought it assuming I will find it not worth 4K and will return but to me it is worth keeping. YMMV. Also I am not a patient person. Can’t wait 1.5 to 2 yrs in the hopes that it gets better.

I only wish I could share it w family without buying each one a device. 😊

Reactions: G5isAlive

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Movie viewing on this thing is incredible. I have an OLED and have owned projectors.

i have been watching clips of movies from Apple tv Max Disney Amazon YouTube. Paramount. All beautiful
except when it’s a v old movie then you can see graininess.

the iMax experience on this alone makes it worthwhile for me.
I can’t carry my home theater around w me.
photos look gorgeous.

I had initially bought it assuming I will find it not worth 4K and will return but to me it is worth keeping. YMMV. Also I am not a patient person. Can’t wait 1.5 to 2 yrs in the hopes that it gets better.

I only wish I could share it w family without buying each one a device. 😊
I thought the same initially but I’ll take my 77” LG OLED C3 and 4K Sony projector over the AVP.

The AVP when blown up larger than 100” has visible pixels and has less detail than both - reflections hurt as well but love how 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 are both represented without black bars.

The AVP image reminds me of LCD projectors with better black levels and the FOV hurts. Feels like I’m watching a movie through goggles. If you watch at 100” or greater (give or take) the flaws become quite apparent for me.

Returned mine today. Looking forward to getting a new 2024 OLED soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.