Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
I thought the same initially but I’ll take my 77” LG OLED C3 and 4K Sony projector over the AVP.

The AVP when blown up larger than 100” has visible pixels and has less detail than both - reflections hurt as well but love how 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 are both represented without black bars.

The AVP image reminds me of LCD projectors with better black levels and the FOV hurts. Feels like I’m watching a movie through goggles. If you watch at 100” or greater (give or take) the flaws become quite apparent for me.

Returned mine today. Looking forward to getting a new 2024 OLED soon.
Yea, Ive got a 77 c2 and a cx and these are incredible tvs. Having a giant screen on the vision pro is of course awesome, but also feel like I've already got my money worth in these TV already and can share them with family.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
If you can get over the glare, the FOV, and pressure on your face (the things that never let you forget you're wearing VR goggles) it's probably the best way to watch a movie. Resolution and HDR are not up to the standard of a similarly priced OLED but watching a movie on the top of the mountain environment and seeing the fog below the screen reflect the movie content is golden. Movies + environments is so cool. Also just having a floating window of any size and any position without an environment is great.

Once they solve the glare issues and increase FOV I could give a wholehearted recommendation for it as your primary media consumption device without the caveat of "well if you can get past all the annoyances of wearing a VR headset"

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Movie experience is the the biggest selling point on this thing so far. Video and audio quality are amazing. I’m coming from a Quest Pro and it’s not even in the same league. Love watching Max, Disney and Crunchyroll on this.

But is it worth $4000 after tax and AppleCare? I’m still deciding on that…

Yeah I almost forgot thanks for reminding me. The AUDIO on AVP with the speakers is the most underrated feature of the device. It's just as impressive as the display and software. AirPods don't match the spatial quality of the AVP's speakers.

Reactions: oneteam

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah I almost forgot thanks for reminding me. The AUDIO on AVP with the speakers is the most underrated feature of the device. It's just as impressive as the display and software. AirPods don't match the spatial quality of the AVP's speakers.
AirPod Pro's new ones with spacial audio sound just as good or better.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
AirPod Pro's new ones with spacial audio sound just as good or better.

I agree in a sense, yes. For an isolated experience the AirPods do better but for the spatial audio experience (when windows and gestures emit sound) I prefer the speakers on AVP because they don't have to rely on Transparency mode. AVP speakers simulate the experience of objects in the real world emitting sound, AirPods never did that for me personally.

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
The Moon is your friend if you're watching movies, I've found. Provides a distraction-free upper half background area, and a sufficiently illuminated "floor" area that counteracts glare TREMENDOUSLY.

Dim environments simply produce too much glare, and bright environments distract too much from the foreground. The Virtual Theater is awful. It needs an illuminated floor.

Last edited:

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I agree in a sense, yes. For an isolated experience the AirPods do better but for the spatial audio experience (when windows and gestures emit sound) I prefer the speakers on AVP because they don't have to rely on Transparency mode. AVP speakers simulate the experience of objects in the real world emitting sound, AirPods never did that for me personally.

The speakers are quite pleasant sounding and airy, great for headphone-free listening of most content, but for movies and music there is a notable absence of bass.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I really like the dark theater mode. The outside world disappears and you are alone in your own exclusive venue. The resolution is fine (always considering the source - no magic device will turn a 1950's movie into a 4k experience). So far my only complaint is the weight. The solo strap is worthless to me and the dual loop has to be carefully adjusted or I get pseudo eye strain after my facial muscles get tired of pushing up.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Sounds like a great story to sell expensive projectors.

Until someone actually gives a physical explanation, rather than link to some random internet site repeating an unsupported assertion, I'm just going to assume this is bogus. Reflected vs emitted isn't an argument. Photons aren't pool balls that lose momentum every time they bounce.

Projectors are dimmer than displays. The light source is being spread by an inefficient lens across a larger surface, and reflecting in a diffuse pattern. It's a matter of magnitude.

And a projector screen filling your field of view means your irises have adapted more accurately to the screen as opposed to a smaller screen in a dark room leaving your irises more open and with a more intense localized source.

If Kindles are easier on the eyes than iPads, it's not because they're reflective, it's because of the quality of the light source. iPads are getting better, but it's hard to beat a black body source like the sun.

That's my favorite bit... 🤣

"To illustrate, compare staring into an industrial cutting laser versus the soft glow of the moon on a bedroom wall..."

Interesting way you interpreted those links. I am actually surprise there was pushback on what I wrote as it's been sort of well known in the AV community for years just based on anecdotal experiences.

Let me rephrase this for you.

1.) Do you agree with the inverse square law?

children-inversesquarelaw-devicescreens-intensity.jpg.webp

2. Do you agree that the blue light wave length from an LED light source being somewhere around 450 mn is a short wavelength that is the highest in energy in the visible light spectrum?

blue-light-spike-LED-emissions-graph.jpg.webp

blue-light-chart-330x330.png

3. Given both of properties of the inverse square law and blue light wavelengths being high energy and short wavelength, do you think it could be conceivable that there is a difference in putting a LED light source inches from your eyeballs VS a LED light source that is being projected across a room say 12 feet and then being diffusely reflect back 8 feet to your eyeballs? Lets assume we dim the LED light source from your eyes as much as possible well under 100 nits.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Interesting way you interpreted those links. I am actually surprise there was pushback on what I wrote as it's been sort of well known in the AV community for years just based on anecdotal experiences.

Let me rephrase this for you.

children-inversesquarelaw-devicescreens-intensity.jpg.webp

2. Do you agree that the blue light wave length from an LED light source being somewhere around 450 mn is a short wavelength that is the highest in energy in the visible light spectrum?

blue-light-spike-LED-emissions-graph.jpg.webp

blue-light-chart-330x330.png

3. Given both of properties of the inverse square law and blue light wavelengths being high energy and short wavelength, do you think it could be conceivable that there is a difference in putting a LED light source inches from your eyeballs VS a LED light source that is being projected across a room say 12 feet and then being diffusely reflect back 8 feet to your eyeballs? Lets assume we dim the LED light source from your eyes as much as possible well under 100 nits.
I don't think the inverse square law says what you think it does.

Yes, your eyes receive more energy from displays closer to your eyes... if the displays are the same size. But the screens in the Vision Pro are 1/1730 the size of the screen in a 65" TV.
100 nit brightness is perceived as 100 nit brightness no matter how far you are from the screen.

I don't understand your point about blue light. What does that have to do with the distance the screen is from your eyes?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Some of the questions in here I tell ya. I wonder if these guys even watched any of the Apple Vision Pro commercials.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Personally, it was completely killed by the lens glare. I bought it almost exclusively for watching movies, but can’t get past the glare. I’m unable to watch a movie without being completely distracted. With that said, it’s so very impressive and immersive. It’s like being in a theater, but better. As others said, once the glare is fixed with different lenses it will be my preferred way to watch movies. Until then, it’s this.

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 55

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
Personally, it was completely killed by the lens glare. I bought it almost exclusively for watching movies, but can’t get past the glare. I’m unable to watch a movie without being completely distracted. With that said, it’s so very impressive and immersive. It’s like being in a theater, but better. As others said, once the glare is fixed with different lenses it will be my preferred way to watch movies. Until then, it’s this.
Very nice. Looks like a super comfortable setup as well.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

What's most frustrating about the glare is when you get a dark scene in a movie in a dark environment (the lake at night for example) everything looks pristine. The moment any light comes in the glare comes back.

It's honestly like putting us in the drivers seat of a Ferrari with tractor tires. You know what the engine (the M2) and transmission (the microOLED display) is capable of but you are held back by the tires (glare)

Reactions: mattopotamus

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
That look super comfy

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

In other words:
It's a matter of magnitude.
It has nothing to do with direct versus reflected light, it's a matter of magnitude.

If the argument here is that projectors are incapable of generating as much light as an LED display and thus you can't make the mistake of keeping it uncomfortably bright, that's only turning a limitation into a feature.

No. Violet is. We see out to about 380nm.

I don't want to freak you out here, but... the sky is blue. Most of the light our eyes encounter outside is biased blue because of the Rayleigh scattering from the atmosphere. You're going to have to work pretty hard to make blue light seem scary.

blue light wavelengths being high energy and short wavelength

You seem to be taking the same property and treating it as three. "Blue being blue and blue". The energy and wavelength are related by a constant-- they are the same measurement. The color is simply a less precise way of expressing the wavelength-- they are the same measurement. Blue isn't a particularly short wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum, in sunlight, or even in the useful visual frequencies in nature. It does happen to be in the upper third of the wavelengths most humans can perceive because we have two of four or five photosensors tuned in that range.

All of which is to say, why are we talking about blue light? If it's somehow bad, why would we be so sensitive to it? Not only do we have blue-tuned cones, but our rods are particularly sensitive to blue as well-- if it was bad, you'd think we'd have evolved a defense against it.

If you're confused by things like Night Shift, that's not to protect our eyes from blue, it's because blue light breaks down melatonin and discourages sleep.

LED spectrum is arbitrary:

1707616997393.png

If you're getting too much blue light from your display, then your display is out of calibration. If you want the colors to look natural, they should be the same as you'd see in the real world-- if you're watching a scene on TV that looks like it was taken outdoors, then the color from your TV will look like daylight.

do you think it could be conceivable that there is a difference in putting a LED light source inches from your eyeballs VS a LED light source that is being projected across a room say 12 feet and then being diffusely reflect back 8 feet to your eyeballs?

Nobody has explained what that difference is yet other than being dimmer.

The light being reflected from the blue sky is about 7000 nits, direct sunlight is much stronger.

You're going to have to present something more than FUD here to make your point. Inverse square laws and wavelengths sound scientific, but the main thing science would look for is causality. None of your sources or your commentary give a causal relationship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jensend
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.